PDA

View Full Version : Top Five RPGs on the PS2

Wolf Kanno
05-12-2014, 02:34 AM
Same as those other two threads, what are your top five games yo!

Pumpkin
05-12-2014, 02:47 AM
NOT in order

FFX-2
Dark Cloud 2
Suikoden V
Xenosaga Ep. III
Suikoden III

VeloZer0
05-12-2014, 03:18 AM
It makes me sad that I can't think up a PS2 RPG that I feel deserves to sit on the top of anything list. My favorite RPG for this platform is probably Mega Man X Command Mission.... :shifty:

Colonel Angus
05-12-2014, 04:02 AM
1. FFXII
2. FFX-2
3. Dragon Quest VIII
4. FFX
5. Phantasy Star IV (on Sega Genesis Collection)

Del Murder
05-12-2014, 06:47 AM
1. Dragon Quest VIII
2. FFXI
3. Kingdom Hearts 2
4. Kingdom Hearts
5. FFX

I didn't play as many RPGs on PS2 other than the FF games. But DQVIII was really great. I loved that game.

EDIT: Forgot Kingdom Hearts. Duh!

Wolf Kanno
05-12-2014, 06:54 AM
1. Persona 3: FES
2. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
3. Suikoden V
4. Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter
5. Persona 4

Miss Mae
05-12-2014, 11:45 AM
In no particular order:
FFXII
Dark Cloud
Kingdom Hearts I
Kingdom Hearts II

I'm really struggling to think of a fifth that I genuinely cared about (apologies to the other Final Fantasy games that I dabbled with). Most of my early RPG exposure was on PC.

Yellow_Magic
05-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Out of the ones I've played:

1. Star Ocean: Till The End of Time (no, I'm not kidding)
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Persona 3: FES
4. Final Fantasy X-2
5. Persona 4

Star Ocean 3 was arguably the first forward-thinking, post-modern jRPG thanks to the ridiculous twist towards the end, so for that alone it gets infinite praise from myself.

Ayen
05-12-2014, 02:29 PM
I haven't played that many on the PS2 and I'm cheating with the last one, but I don't care:

1.) Final Fantasy X
2.) Xenosaga Episode I
3.) Kingdom Hearts
4.) Final Fantasy X-2
5.) RPG Maker 3

maybee
05-12-2014, 04:51 PM
1 Kingdom Hearts

2 Persona 4

3 Final Fantasy X

4 Kingdom Hearts 2

5 Persona 3: FES

Pike
05-12-2014, 05:25 PM
1. Final Fantasy X
2. Final Fantasy X-2
3. Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance

I can't think of any other RPGs on that system that I enjoyed or cared about.

blackmage_nuke
05-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2

The last 3 are only in there because I dont have many PS2 RPG's that I like

Fynn
05-12-2014, 08:55 PM
No particular order:

FFXII
Kingdom Hearts
Persona 4
Persona 3
Digital Devil Saga (both)

I also wanna put BoF: DQ somewhere there :shobon:

magemasher
05-12-2014, 11:45 PM
FFX
Shadow Hearts
FFXII
Shadow Hearts 2

I don't think I played any other rpg's to completion, they were never any competition to the four above.

Jiro
05-13-2014, 03:12 AM
Wild ARMs 3
Final Fantasy X
Rogue Galaxy
Kingdom Hearts
Persona 3: FES

Yes, this sounds about right.

Fynn
05-13-2014, 06:06 AM
FFX
Shadow Hearts
FFXII
Shadow Hearts 2

I don't think I played any other rpg's to completion, they were never any competition to the four above.

Until you came along, I was going to say how it was interesting that people either said X or XII and nobody said both :D

Vyk
05-13-2014, 06:21 AM
Wow. I hadn't realized until now that I didn't really enjoy any RPGs on that console. Not in its lifetime anyway. Right now I've went back and bought Persona 3 and 4, and am enjoying them. But of the ones I played I only beat like 2 of them and didn't really consider them anything special. FFX, XII, Xenosaga 1, Disgaea, Kingdom Hearts, La Pucelle Tactics, nothing really captured me. I should probably wish I were exposed to SMT games a lot sooner. Digital Devil Saga always interested me. But I never came across it in stores and never went out of my way to get anything back then like I do now. I guess if we're counting Diablo clones, I would put Champions of Norrath games far and above Baldur's Gate games. Which is almost sad, really because the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games had such a more rich universe to pull from, and had a lot more going for them. But they weren't quite as finely tuned. Very clunky and awkward in comparison. But all really good games

The girlfriend however super enjoyed RPGs of that generation. The Suikoden games, the Shadow Hearts games, Grandia games, Legaia 2: Duel Saga, I think there was a Wild Arms in there somewhere? And Tales of the Abyss

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2014, 07:41 AM
It's kind of funny how the two previous generations had a general love of FF and very similar tastes for most people and then you reach this generation and it feels like it is all over the place.

Fynn
05-13-2014, 07:43 AM
It's kind of funny how the two previous generations had a general love of FF and very similar tastes for most people and then you reach this generation and it feels like it is all over the place.

But isn't that a good thing? It kind if implies we get more variety.

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2014, 07:45 AM

But isn't that a good thing? It kind if implies we get more variety.

Yes, but I wonder if the genre is splintering too much into niche games. It just seems like this is the generation where JRPGs lost their footing.

Forsaken Lover
05-13-2014, 07:55 AM
3. Suikoden V
5. Persona 4

No Xenosaga love, Wolf? For shame. Heck, FFXII didn't even make your list!

Granted I have played none of the games on your list so....

metagloria
05-13-2014, 02:29 PM
FFXII
FFX-2
FFX
Star Ocean 3 (all-time favorite OST!)
Xenosaga I-III (seems impossible to prefer one...they all go together! III was probably my favorite for gameplay though)

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2014, 06:28 PM
3. Suikoden V
5. Persona 4

No Xenosaga love, Wolf? For shame. Heck, FFXII didn't even make your list!

Granted I have played none of the games on your list so....

Xenosaga is a good series but I don't love it as much as I used to, it's also difficult for me to choose between Episode 1 (story) or Episode 3 (gameplay). I also really enjoy FFXII but I feel these games give a more well-rounded experience.

Pumpkin
05-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Episode III is better

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Episode III is better

I can't get over how the plot resolved itself, which knocks it down a few pegs for me. Episode 1 might have some awkward pacing but it makes it all worth it by the end, and the story overall gave off a lot of potential. Episode III is good but I can't help but feel like everything is rushed. It's like 10-minutes of bringing you up to speed and then the rest of the game is just whipping you through like a roller coaster trying to resolve every plot thread as quickly as possible.

If this list was top 10 instead of 5, they would be on it.

Pumpkin
05-13-2014, 06:44 PM
It is rushed. I think they had to cut the games short whereas they were expecting a few more games after ep. III, but with that in mind I think they did the best they could considering they had to compact what, 4? games in to 1. The pacing was a bit weird, especially on disc 2. It was basically major boss fight after major boss fight, but the story it did have I thought was excellent, it had some awesome scenes, and it was even nice enough to let you go back and watch the scenes any time you wanted. I also think it did a good job of combining the first 2 games to find a happy medium.

Edit: Not trying to argue, just stating my opinion since III is on my list :P

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Well sadly the game's development was kind of screwed over from the very beginning. Technically Episode 1 was suppose to be all of Shion's story as in all three games were suppose to be the first episode and then it was going to jump into a new timeline. The first major trailer for Episode 1 had stuff from Episode 2 in as well. Then they got split into two games and then Episode 2 and 3 were suppose to rap up Shion's plot but some executive decided they could drag the series out by making the series smaller so a lot of content was cut from Episode 2 that ended up in Episode 3, but Episode 2's redesigns were such a turn off for fans and gamers alike that the team had to fight to get Episode 3 done and it's success would determine the fate of the series. While the game got great reviews, it didn't sell as well as Namco had wanted and the franchise got unplugged.

Course I do commend them for doing a better job with finishing the series over what happened with Xenogears but I actually liked how Xenogears resolved itself whereas I have objections to how Shion and KOS-MOS story resolved and Wilhelm's part in everything. After the party deals with Yuriev, I start to lose interest in the plot.

Pumpkin
05-13-2014, 06:55 PM
That's a shame. I love episode I but I actually liked it less on my last playthrough. Some moments were genius, like the Cherenkov story, but overall I found the pacing too slow and some of the areas were just such a pain and I didn't enjoy them at all.

It's still a great game though. It's a really good series. Shame it got unplugged.

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2014, 06:57 PM
I agree, it would have been interesting to find out what Xenosaga: Frontier and Xenosaga: Exceed were going to be.

Forsaken Lover
05-13-2014, 09:02 PM
I prefer Episode 1 but there are definitely many strong points about Episode 3. Yuriev is my favorite Saga Villain for starters and even after he's defeated you have bgreat showdowns with Voyager and Margulis, wrapping up Ziggy's and Jin's arcs. And who can ever forget Allen facing down Kevin?

Overall I agree that the way the main story comes together in Episode 3 is much less satisfying and well done than in Xenogears but I think they managed to tie most of it up pretty well It's just the nebulous excuse of "an ancient civilization did it!" for everything that bugs me.

Raistlin
05-13-2014, 11:48 PM
This is surprisingly difficult, as I hadn't realized how few RPGs I both played and enjoyed on the PS2. My top 3 is easy:

Suikoden V
Final Fantasy XII
Suikoden III

All great games. But after that I'm pretty much drawing a blank. I did play a couple of other RPGs (FFX, Suikoden IV, and parts of others), but FFX was meh, and I'm hesitant to suggest S4 was one of the top RPGs on the whole console (even though it was enjoyable and not as terrible as it's been made out to be).

Colonel Angus
05-13-2014, 11:51 PM
You need to try X-2. It's the FFV of the PS2.

Wolf Kanno
05-14-2014, 12:25 AM
You need to try X-2. It's the FFV of the PS2.

Except with a crappier story and more mini-games.

Forsaken Lover
05-14-2014, 12:46 AM
But 200% more T&A and therefore better.

Colonel Angus
05-14-2014, 12:53 AM
You need to try X-2. It's the FFV of the PS2.Except with a crappier story and more mini-games.54454

Wolf Kanno
05-14-2014, 01:16 AM
You need to try X-2. It's the FFV of the PS2.Except with a crappier story and more mini-games.54454

http://brooklynactivemama.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/74110-oh-yeah-gif-Obama-b86q.gif

Mirage
05-14-2014, 01:36 AM

Why would you be? It has perhaps the best gameplay ever to have graced the console, and I'll be struggling to find a PS4/360 RPG with better combat as well.

In the order which they pop into my head:
Star Ocean 3
FFX-2
FFX
Persona 3
Persona 4

Each game might have been judged by entirely different criteria than any of the other games. Some are listed for superior gameplay, some are listed for superior feels, some are listed for a good combination of both.

Colonel Angus
05-14-2014, 02:30 AM

http://brooklynactivemama.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/74110-oh-yeah-gif-Obama-b86q.gif

The Man
05-14-2014, 02:58 AM
I didn't play that many PS2 RPGs. The ones that really made an impression on me:

Star Ocean 3 (yeah the ending was pretty questionable but as Mirage pointed out the gameplay in this game is excellent, plus it has one of the best soundtracks on the PS2)
Shadow Hearts
Final Fantasy X (it has some rather glaring weaknesses but I enjoyed it fairly well regardless)
Dragon Quest VIII

Not sure how I'd rank them. There are also a lot of important games that I missed or didn't play enough to form an opinion about, such as FFXII, Suikoden III-V, Xenosaga, SMT/Persona series, etc.

Wolf Kanno
05-14-2014, 03:10 AM

Ayen
05-14-2014, 03:15 AM
Rikku's face says it all.

metagloria
05-14-2014, 04:21 AM

Why would you be? It has perhaps the best gameplay ever to have graced the console, and I'll be struggling to find a PS4/360 RPG with better combat as well.

In the order which they pop into my head:
Star Ocean 3
FFX-2
FFX
Persona 3
Persona 4

Each game might have been judged by entirely different criteria than any of the other games. Some are listed for superior gameplay, some are listed for superior feels, some are listed for a good combination of both.
You like SO3, and you like X-2 better than X. How do I give you one of them moogle hugamajigs? <3

black orb
05-14-2014, 05:38 AM
FF 10
FF 12
Suikoden 5
Disgaea 2
Tales of the Abyss

Quindiana Jones
05-14-2014, 06:00 AM
RDJ looks a lot like Sheogorath from Shivering Isles in that gif.

I Took the Red Pill
05-14-2014, 07:40 AM
Dragonquest VIII
FFX
Persona 3
Kingdom Hearts
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits

Last one is a game I never see mentioned anywhere. It was a really fun (albeit cliche) game. I'm just going to go ahead and pretend they never released End of Darkness. It's one of the worst games I've ever played.

Wolf Kanno
05-14-2014, 08:45 AM
I hear bad things about End of Darkness. Which reminds me, I still need to finish Arc the Lad 3.

Jiro
05-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Arc the Lad is a game that crossed my radar but never had a chance to pick up. Also honourable mention to Grandia II which I remember as being decent.

Yellow_Magic
05-15-2014, 03:15 PM

From what I've seen, it typically gets a lot of hate from the jRPG purists/those who felt The Twist ruined the previous SO games (I never finished those so I don't feel the same way). Also the cooking/crafting system (which I didn't even use so I can't comment!)

Mirage
05-15-2014, 04:32 PM
Well the way I see it, if you think the ending ruined the previous games, you didn't get the point the ending was trying to make.

Skyblade
05-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Persona 3: FES
Persona 4
Kingdom Hearts
Shining Tears (man, I wish this game would get a Vita release. I would play the heck out of that)
Final Fantasy X

Bright Shield
05-20-2014, 07:35 AM
Odin Sphere
Persona 4
Dragon Quest VIII
Shadow Hearts
Suikoden III