PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Nintendo Franchise

Wolf Kanno
05-12-2014, 02:35 AM
Since we've been discussing them so much lately, which are your favorite franchises from the studio that brought us Mario and Donkey Kong?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-12-2014, 03:10 AM
http://gallery.zeldalegends.net/categories/Ocarina_of_Time/Official_Art/Link/media/normal_05-ll-moneyshotpsd.jpg

Pumpkin
05-12-2014, 03:10 AM
http://gallery.zeldalegends.net/categories/Ocarina_of_Time/Official_Art/Link/media/normal_05-ll-moneyshotpsd.jpg

Scotty_ffgamer
05-12-2014, 03:14 AM
This is really hard for me to pick. Mario is probably technically the best all in all. The main platforming games are all pretty solid, and there are a lot of spin off games that are all pretty high quality: from turn-based RPGs to party games to golf and tennis. There's a little something for everyone, and most all of them are pretty great. Even with that in mind, it's probably tied for number 2 in my favorite Nintendo franchises.

Number 1 probably goes to Donkey Kong. The three SNES titles are just some of my favorite games of all time. They honestly don't control quite as well as Mario, but I still have more fun with them. The Country Returns games are also really enjoyable. I'm not a big fan of Donkey Kong 64 and don't have much experience with the more spin-offy games, but the Country games still put the franchise at the top for me.

Tied for number 2 with Mario is Star Fox. This series has had more missteps than good in my eyes. The only games I've truly liked are the original and 64. I haven't played everything in the series, but I've tried some of the DS ones and Starfox Adventures, and they didn't do it for me. The original and 64 are just so fun, memorable, and nearly perfect to me that I can overlook most of the franchise and put it at the top.

black orb
05-12-2014, 04:48 AM
>>> Kirby..:luca:

Vermachtnis
05-12-2014, 05:08 AM
Either Zelda or Pokémon. I love them both. Zelda edges it out just a bit cause Wind Waker is one of the best games of all time.

Skyblade
05-12-2014, 05:13 AM
1. Fire Emblem

I cannot believe I almost forgot this series. I don't usually think of "Nintendo" when I think of it, but this is definitely my favorite of their works. From the original English release for the GBA, I have adored this series. It's had some hit and misses, but overall has been a hit, and has reached its highest mark thus far with Fire Emblem Awakening. With fantastic mechanics, great worlds, and utterly brilliant characters, this series is one that I cannot wait to see the next installment of.

2. The Legend of Zelda

This game has a huge array of fantastic titles. I remember so many of the games fondly. I really enjoyed the 3D games when I played them, but the 2D games had a more lasting impact on me (though I would like to get a decent version of Majora's Mask at some point). A Link Between Worlds was absolutely my favorite in the series, and I cannot wait for their next foray into the series.

3. Metroid

This series was one of my favorite platformers. I even enjoyed Metroid Fusion, even if I was one of few to do so. The Prime series was one of the best mechanical overhauls I have ever seen to a series. It made a huge translation, while still keeping true to everything I wanted out of the series.

4. Mario

Honestly, I don't like most Mario platformers. The only one I really loved was Super Mario World. But oh my gosh, did I play the heck out of that game. I still play my GBA cartridge. A perfect file with all exits opened by Mario, one with them all opened by Luigi, and a third with them alternating, and only the final exit left to claim with Luigi (just so that I can watch the cutscenes at any time).

However, special mention must be made for the RPGs. I never got to play the original Super Mario RPG (and Nintendo are still jerks who won't release their stellar SNES games for the 3DS E-Shop), but Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was an absolutely stellar game for the Gamecube. I dearly wish that they had continued with those mechanics, as I feel that Super Paper Mario was a step backward in almost every respect (earning its place as one of the worst sequels I've ever played).

5. Kirby

Kirby Superstar was another platformer I really enjoyed, and I spent a long time doing everything in that game. From hunting down the hidden treasures, to fighting the arenas, to facing off against Meta Knight. It was a fantastic multi-part adventure. Also, I really, really liked the way you could combine powers in Crystal Shards for the GameCube. Exploding Shuriken Kirby was just totally frelling awesome. Plus, Super Smash Bros. was modeled almost directly off of Kirby Super Star, so that's another reason to love the big puffball.

Dat Matt
05-12-2014, 05:52 AM

Mario kart is a close second

Del Murder
05-12-2014, 06:30 AM
1. Zelda
2. Mario (platforming)
3. Metroid
4. Donkey Kong Country
5. Pokemon

I also love Kirby, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario Sports, and Super Smash Bros. but I won't get every single one of those games.

black orb
05-12-2014, 07:05 AM
>>> Wow, so many Zelda fans..:luca:

maybee
05-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Zelda

Fire Emblem I like as well, it was awesome on the 3DS

Pike
05-12-2014, 10:19 AM
A lot of Nintendo franchises were important to me when I was growing up but Pokemon is really the only one I still play. (by which I mean: it's the only Nintendo franchise I actually care about new releases of)

Miss Mae
05-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Pokemon was the most important for young me, but I lost interest after gen 2. I bought Soul Silver when it came out for the nostalgia value.

My favourite franchise is probably Mario because of its longterm impact on my life. I used to play Mario on my dad's black and white GameBoy way back when, and I still have a good time playing the platformer on the Wii with friends and Mario Kart at parties.

Bolivar
05-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Zelda, especially the handheld entries!

Ayen
05-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Metroid. I can still remember how surprise I was when I found out Samus was a woman. I've been in love with the series ever since I played Prime and Fusion. I still need to play Samus Return and Super Metroid one day if I can. If I ever get a Wii it'd probably be in large part so I can play Metroid Prime 3 and Other M.

Aulayna
05-12-2014, 03:48 PM
qkYSuWSPkHI

Hands down had the biggest impact on my life and holds a special place in my heart. It lead to me making a Zelda fansite that I ran for several years, meeting people like Pike and Huxley way before I ever joined EoFF and an army of internet friends that I've pretty much grown up with.

Agent Proto
05-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Nintendo was important to me when I was younger, so I hold their games and franchises quite dearly. With that said, I would have to say, besides anything Mario, I would say Star Fox would be my number one Nintendo franchise. Followed by Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Fire Emblem. I also enjoy me some Smash Bros.

The Man
05-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Metroid, or Zelda, or Mario. Fairly predictable choices I guess.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-13-2014, 06:01 AM
I didn't even think of Fire Emblem. Maybe I was just quick to associate Nintendo with their mascot characters.It's definitely up there with Zelda, though. I've loved Fire Emblem since we got one over here on the gameboy advance. Lyn is one of my favorite game characters and one of the main reasons I bought DLC for Fire Emblem Awakening.