PDA

View Full Version : Manga

Jinx
05-12-2014, 07:31 PM
I've read Death Note, Fruits Basket, and some manga about a girl with a robot boyfriend? And a manga about a girl who is dying (?) who wants to be a singer...and she's guarded by two ghosts (?) who committed suicide. I've always wanted to read Sailor Moon, but my library only has up to the 9th volume. :(

And good mangas to recommend? I prefer girlier and sillier mangas...although like I said, I read Death Note. If it's serous but very well written, I'd probably like it.

Yellow_Magic
05-12-2014, 07:34 PM
NOT Gantz

Sephiroth
05-12-2014, 07:56 PM
Try Ken Akamatsu's work. Or Kentaro Yabuki.

http://www11.pic-upload.de/12.05.14/w4r2mds88l.jpg

MJN SEIFER
05-12-2014, 09:14 PM
And a manga about a girl who is dying (?) who wants to be a singer...and she's guarded by two ghosts (?) That is so familiar... I think I was shown the anime to it (subbed, if I remember correctly). Was singing painful for her? I've got a strange feeling that an animal (cat?) was involved too, but I could be wrong about that last part.

Colonel Angus
05-13-2014, 02:19 AM
If you like sillier manga, you'd probably love the original Dragon Ball series (pre-Z). Nobody commits suicide & it's full of whimsy & weirdness.

Mercen-X
05-13-2014, 07:08 AM
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Ouran High School Host Club, Skip-Beat, Absolute Boyfriend (yes, I actually read this), Black Butler (Kuroshi'tsuji) is actually pretty silly to me despite all the blood-spatters.

Pumpkin
05-13-2014, 07:11 AM
Ranma 1/2!

Forsaken Lover
05-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Absolute Boyfriend (yes, I actually read this)

I think a lot of people did since Yuu Watase is one of Japan's most prominent shojo mangaka.

And on a similar note, I recommend Fushigi Yugi.

Also Gakuen Alice.
http://i.imgur.com/PTGaq.jpg

It's for children ya know.

Seriously though, it's adorable and hilarious.

Jiro
05-13-2014, 08:38 AM
I am reading Library Wars and Psyren. Library Wars is kind of romancey and your typical "manga for girls". Psyren is the opposite, quite action and mystery oriented.

Samurai Champloo was p. excellent but the lack of Nujabes (:ffvisad:) music diminishes its quality slightly.

Forsaken Lover
05-13-2014, 08:44 AM
And if you want some serious, well-written stuff....
http://blog.worldswithoutend.com/category/comicsmanga/sf-manga-101/

Anything on that list.

Also if you want well-written "girly" stuff, Basara aka the Legend of Basara.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basara_%28manga%29

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2014, 09:47 AM
And a manga about a girl who is dying (?) who wants to be a singer...and she's guarded by two ghosts (?) That is so familiar... I think I was shown the anime to it (subbed, if I remember correctly). Was singing painful for her? I've got a strange feeling that an animal (cat?) was involved too, but I could be wrong about that last part.

It's Full Moon, not a bad series I might add.

If you are looking for shojo manga you really can't go wrong with CLAMP.

I recommend from them:

Cardcaptor Sakura
Chobits
RG Veda
Tokyo Babylon
X/1999
Clover
Wish Resevoir Chronicles Tsubasa
xXx Holic
CLAMP School Detectives
Miyuki-Chan in Wonderland

For just good manga that isn't CLAMP:

Pluto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto_%28manga%29)
Here is Greenwood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_Is_Greenwood)
Sailor Moon
Ranma 1/2
One-Pound Gospel
Rin-ne
Tenchi Muyo!
One Piece
Angel Sanctuary
Bakuman ~ Same team as Death Note but completely different genre

Forsaken Lover
05-13-2014, 10:35 AM
Angel Sanctuary is good but I just didn't get the feeling Jinx would like the gothic, dark tone of it.

Also the incest. That can turn some people off even if it's kinda forgotten about by the second or third volume.

Miss Mae
05-13-2014, 10:47 AM
I really enjoyed Vampire Knight. It gets weird, but what manga doesn't.

Mercen-X
05-13-2014, 07:12 PM
I am reading Library Wars and Psyren.

I was only willing to borrow Library Wars from my local library (lol) and they only had four volumes. Of course, I don't know how many there are supposed to be but the story made it seem as if there would be more. I started reading Psyren in another town two hours away from home. When I realized I could, I read the entire series online. I've since tried to pull this trick with various other titles only to find they don't have the rights to them. But I was able to get pretty far into Skip-Beat for which my library only has up to volume 30.

Also Wolf, lol, your Furu Mun o Sagatroute links to Full Moon o Sagatroute because the automatic censoring even altered the url. There's got to be a way to adjust the censor's recognition to something more precise because that's just ridiculous.

Here's Sagashi'te:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5c/Full_Moon_volume_1.jpg

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Fixed it, though I had to rid the link.

Angel Sanctuary is just a good series and if he like Death Note, I figured he wouldn't mind the more controversial elements of the series.

Tasura
05-14-2014, 02:38 AM
I can't answer this without going into several paragraphs because I have read A LOT of manga xD. And if you're going by just what's in your library I can't really provide a good recommendation because I have no idea what's there. But if you were to say, branch out online, then Hokuto no Ken (in no way girly, in fact quite bloody and graphic) and Angel Densetsu (fairly typical high school romcom) are good.

Karifean
05-15-2014, 08:45 AM
The only manga I've actually read is Elfen Lied.

Mangas aren't my choice of medium. I much prefer anime series and visual novels. Probably because I sometimes really enjoy the music and voice acting in both, and visual novels are just all kinds of amazing. They might even be my favorite medium to experience a storyline through.

For what it's worth, I recommend Umineko no Naku Koro ni. I've only read the visual novel, but I heard the manga adaptation is pretty solid (contrary to the anime). It's a prime example of how you can put a spin on the whole mystery genre and make it really damn awesome. It might be the most well-thought-out and -constructed story I've ever read.

Yellow_Magic
05-15-2014, 03:10 PM
The thing I like about manga over anime is the ability to speed through boring bits in manga a lot easier than the latter, where it's very easy to miss something if you jump ahead a few minutes.

Serious suggestion: Naoki Urasawa's work is always good (Monster, 20th Century Boys, Pluto). The former gets frequent comparisons to Death Note for some strange reason so might like it!!

black orb
05-16-2014, 06:13 AM
>>> Girly manga? sorry I cant help you there..:luca:

Skyblade
05-16-2014, 07:29 AM
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Ouran High School Host Club, Skip-Beat, Absolute Boyfriend (yes, I actually read this), Black Butler (Kuroshi'tsuji) is actually pretty silly to me despite all the blood-spatters.

I think Absolute Boyfriend was the one mentioned in the OP about the girl with the robot boyfriend.

Black Butler had a good premise, but I felt it got repetitive almost immediately, and I dropped it after like 3 issues (and the anime is even worse).

I can agree with Skip-Beat, though.

I enjoyed Magic Knight Rayearth when I read it. But it was one of the first manga I ever read, and I haven't gone back to it (though I've spent some time with the games), so I don't know if I'd recommend it or not.

Fullmetal Alchemist is brilliant, but trends towards "dark" more than "silly" (though there is plenty of silly in it, especially in the bonus strips).

Mercen-X
05-16-2014, 08:39 AM
I think Absolute Boyfriend was the one mentioned in the OP about the girl with the robot boyfriend.

Oh. Right. I didn't catch that.

krissy
05-17-2014, 05:49 PM
used to read berserk

i read bleach for a while before it got friggin stupid

Dat Matt
05-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Manga, Man that's something I've not been into for a long time. Back in high school I was obsessed. I would go out my way to head into town once a month to pick up between 3-6 volumes of Manga. This went on till I filled a bookshelf of them. I ran out of space for it, and it fell by the wayside, but it's something I've been meaning to get back into, but space is still an issue.

My favourites were:

Rave Master
Ruruoni Kenshin
Shaman King
Hayate the Combat Butler
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
D.N.Angel (Super Girly, under eternal hiatus)
Negima! Magister Negi Magi

I could go on, but that would require me walking upstairs to see what's in the collection but I can't be bothered with that :P

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-17-2014, 08:52 PM
I really like a manga called Nightmare Inspector. It's essentially about clients who hire a dream eater to climb into their nightmares with them and help them face or find the cause of their disturbances. I'm stealing something I paraphrased in another thread long ago:

The setting is the Silver Star Teahouse in pre-WWII Japan, in the 1920’s. The proprietors of the teahouse are a young woman named Mizuki, and a Baku (dream eater) named Hiruko. Despite taking place in a teahouse, most people don't come for the beverages.

They come to see Hiruko, to ask him if he can help them get rid of their nightmares. He usually does, and the only payment he asks is to eat the nightmare afterwards, so it’s a pretty sweet deal. How does he help get rid of the nightmares? He puts the customer to sleep and then goes in to the nightmare with them and helps them face or find the cause of their neuroses.

Each chapter is a story revolving around a new customer, and with a few exceptions the stories are only a chapter long. The stories are mostly self-contained, but not entirely; there are threads that run through the manga that tie things together. There's usually a tragic twist at the end of every story, where a client's demise is at the hand of their own character flaws. Don't worry, that isn't a spoiler, but in fact a reccuring theme. Even knowing that things won't end well for the client doesn't prepare you for exactly what happens.

Mercen-X
05-18-2014, 08:28 AM
read bleach for a while before it got friggin stupid

Got?