PDA

View Full Version : EoFF Generation Gap?

Chemical
03-09-2002, 07:15 PM
Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, and perhaps I'm not... but it feels like, with all these newbies.. that I just don't click with them anymore. There seems to be a bit of a generation gap between veterans and n00bs.

Even in the chats there seems to be a good difference between the newer members and older members... and though I've tried connecting, it just seems to difficult.

I thought of ways that may help us all get to know eachother. Also, this idea could allow the younger and newer members to appreciate the Veteran's morales ideas and feelings towards the forums.

And so, here's my idea. A buddy system. :p
I know it doesn't sound like the keenest thing of hand.... but what if The "recognized members" took turns becoming "buddy's" with new members. They could help them out, explain the rules, give them a helping hand and just kinda' be there to laughand tell stories and hear stories. ^_^

I think it just could help us all come together more.

edit:
This would be good for older members because they can explain there centemental attachment to the place, help avoid those threads everyone is always closing down and it just let's them get to know more people with a lot of the older ones leaving all the time

This would be good for the newer members because they get some attention when they first coming, so perhaps it's a little more likely they won't just run away. They also have someone to understand their actions, and someone to consult if they're not sure of things... I think consulting with someone who's there to give their attention to you, rather than just ask misc. people... that's it's a lot easier to not feel stupid. I can remember being new here and when Elyse wasn't around for me to ask questions.. I felt I couldn't ask any questions because I didn't want to appear like I was incapable.

Shlup
03-09-2002, 09:27 PM
It's a good idea, in theory. What would these "buddy" vets have to do? PM a bunch of n00bs and tell them about the good ol' days? I don't really get the point. Not that I think it's bad, I just think the acctuall process needs better explaining.

I agree with it being a good idea that newbies get some attention right off, though. Ones that don't immediatly come off as obnoxious anyway.

Spatvark
03-09-2002, 10:42 PM
They had this sorta thing at my school... it basically involves showing the newbies the ropes and then being someone they can talk to if they have problems... basically, if that's what you're thinking Ashley, then the idea is kinda redundant...

There aren't exactly many ropes to learn and the ones that are there just involve common sense. People always tell you these things in the newbie threads anyway...

And as for someone to talk to if they have problems, that's what EoEO is for...

Minerva
03-09-2002, 11:02 PM
I think it's a nice idea, I remember when I first registered I got a wlecoming email off Mr Rocko and it made me feel right at home, it was really nice. It's good to know you have an instant friend and someone you can ask questions to.

The only thing I would advise against is throwing a list of rules on all the newbies as you may find they have been to message boards before and find it patronising, but I'm sure that wouldn't happen :)

Bahamut2000X
03-09-2002, 11:45 PM
I like the idea. But what am I considered? A veteran or a noobie? I've been here about a year.

Sakura Yume
03-11-2002, 03:59 AM
<font color=#AFEEEE> I totally think that would be a great idea. The going into chat and finding newbies and ONLY newbies is somewhat... weird. *nod nods* *waits to see what the staff'll say* What exactly do you define as a older member etc though?</font>

Loony BoB
03-11-2002, 04:09 AM
Ehhh, I dunno. Imagine all the organisation that would have to go through. There's things like time zones, ages, who-gets-who's, who is a newbie, when do they stop being a newbie, blah blah blah blah blah...

I dunno though. I just think that it's much easier said than done. If you ever see a newbie, just talk to them, if you really want to. I don't think anyone besides the person can choose who they want to look after, so there's nothing stopping anyone from doing it right now. I for one don't want to be forced into it - although I do talk to some newbies, I'd hate to have one shoved in front of me with an admin saying "Teach it."

Rampala
03-11-2002, 04:55 AM
Well, I do like the idea. There's something called "Friends for Friends" at my school and they pair Freshman and Seniors together (but only those who want to do it.) It's quite successful. But I see what Looney Bob is saying, but it would only be for those who want to do it, right?

Although, it would involved determining, who's a newbie and when are you not a newbie any longer?

Spatvark
03-11-2002, 06:26 AM
Well, when a person joins, it can be quickly determined if they've been at forums before... if not, then they're whatevered until it's decided that they are a mature enough member? That I think is the way to do this...

I'm still against it. It sorta takes away the freedom of the newbie experience, having this vet' constantly looking over your shoulder... even if they aren't actually doing that, it will probably feel that way...

merizabeth
03-11-2002, 06:54 AM
*gets fantastical gleam in her eye*

What if...

A new forum where begun, just like there's a forum for ffIV, and there's one for chrono cross... you get my point. A 'New Member Forum', where newer members can go and talk to newer members (and hence make new friends who are in the same situation), ask questions, get advice and so forth about eoff, and the o'le veterans can hop on over and lovingly guide the n00b's to dignified conversation and outright sillyness. Hmmm? I belonged once to an online rpg which had a chat that was split into three areas, the commons, the tavern, and the king's court. As a member, you could only access the commons until you had been a member for so long (a month, I believe), and you gained access to the other chats as you went on. There were a few devoted veterans who hung out in the commons often, to guide and assist the n00b's. I know it really helped me out, and when I later went on to the tavern, I really fit right in. T'was cool. I'm not insinuating that we should restrict n00b's access to the forums (heck, I'm quite the n00b myself), but having a place of peers with a couple people who've been here a while to push you in the right direction can be really helpful.

Damn, I'm long winded.

Daryl
03-11-2002, 08:25 AM
I personally don't think a "New Members" forum is necessary, nor do I think a "Newbie Outreach Program" is necessary.

If people post and are at all intelligent/ humorous/ friendly, they get noticed, and make friends. I don't see how forcing people to befriend new members would help anything. Plus, as BoB pointed out, it would require a lot of organization - we get many new members each day, and to match a veteran member with each of them would be time-consuming, and rather pointless, I think. As was also said - it's nicer when people reach out to be nice, not because a staff member forces them to do so.

Dr Unne
03-11-2002, 09:07 AM
It may be a bit difficult to bust into the circle(s) of friends we have around here, but that's life. Personally I try to be friends with people who seem to be good friend material, be they oldbie or newbie or whatever. I think enforced friendship to all newbies would be a really big waste of time (since so many newbies do and will leave in short time, no matter what), and also it wouldn't be honest, as other people said. In real life, school for example, such things are necessary because people HAVE to fit in in school eventually; they're forced to go to school there. But if someone doesn't fit in here, they're free to leave and find an MB where they do. Some people probably just don't belong here, and I think it's better that those people don't receive false impressions that they will fit in here when they don't. That's my opinion on the matter anyways. But yeah, we still do have some "newbies" who stick around for a long time. Not many, but enough to keep the place going, and the people who do stick around as a general rule tend to be really great people.

Chemical
03-11-2002, 06:45 PM
I understand why the idea doesn't exactly fly with a lot of you... but I'm quite tired of people giving up so easily on people who make mistakes and just don't have anyone to correct them... or talk to them about them. Nothing can be forced on someone and obviously if you didn't want to then don't.

There shouldn't be any false pretences. There shouldn't be any catagorizing and labeling. What I ment by this idea, which I continue to stick with, is that it'd be nice, for someone who just joined the forums to be personally greeted and have someone that they can talk to with out fear of being shot down publicly. I figured, with a little open mindedness that cynicalism and pessimisn may be even slightly replaced with optimism.

What's 5 minutes out of a person's day to answer some issues? And by issues, I don't exactly mean personal. Though if the friendship were to evolve that way, then so be it. Even more so the reason to give it a go.

....and honestly, for this hing called too much work? I really don't get that... how can you move ahead if you won't take a few steps forward? Sure, the concept has falws, I've noticed the flaws... but instead of shooting it down enitrely, offer some constructive criticism. Every raw idea has it's bumbs... I truely believe with the right modifications something rewarding and positive could come out of it.

There's a lot of things one could change about the whole concept. ^_^ And I agree with some of the points brought up, some of them I haven't considered... but I feel that other's are just bashing it.... Why? Can it really cause that much disturbance? Some people are so wonderful, but are shy to push themselves into the crowds of wonderful people here... so sometimes all they need is a pull. I'm not saying worship the ground of every new member. I'm merely preposing the fact that there are people who deserve to have the attention we could give them with out stereo types and fabrication. There's a 50% possibility this person could be shy or outgoing. There's a 50% chance this person could be utterly amazing or a huge arse... If my math is correct, that leaves about 25% who are amazing, yet shy... and I sometimes worry about who just walks away.

Life doesn't have to be as complicated as we let it be.

Dr Unne
03-11-2002, 06:54 PM
If you think it's a good idea, maybe you could organize some sort of welcoming party yourself. You could recruit whoever wants to help you, whoever has the time and who agrees with your opinions and wants to help out. It would be a nice thing to do, I agree. I bet you could get people to help you. You could maybe make a thread about it in General Chat, not asking if it's a good idea, but just asking for volunteers to help you out. I assume you'd be willing to do it yourself, right? I think it'd work out. It doesn't have to be a Staff-run thing, right? You could do it yourself. :)

Verloran
03-11-2002, 08:37 PM
I think it would just be nice if people stopped thinking of new EoFF members as "newbies." I believe that's what drives most new members away.

Loony BoB
03-12-2002, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Verloran
I think it would just be nice if people stopped thinking of new EoFF members as "newbies." I believe that's what drives most new members away.

I reckon that's a very true statement. Unfortunately, they're gonna have to put up with that. It's what they are, we all were one or are one. *shrugs*

As for just a nice friendly PM when someone joins... I've done it a few times before, believe it or not. Including trippy fly 69 ;) Or whatever his name was. Rawk.

I say it again - if someone wants to do it, do it. But it's entirely up to YOU.

Chemical
03-12-2002, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
If you think it's a good idea, maybe you could organize some sort of welcoming party yourself. You could recruit whoever wants to help you, whoever has the time and who agrees with your opinions and wants to help out. It would be a nice thing to do, I agree. I bet you could get people to help you. You could maybe make a thread about it in General Chat, not asking if it's a good idea, but just asking for volunteers to help you out. I assume you'd be willing to do it yourself, right? I think it'd work out. It doesn't have to be a Staff-run thing, right? You could do it yourself. :)

^_^ Thanks Brian... am I really aloud to just do something like that though? I always had this fear that if I tried doing something I viewed as important or signifigant, that staff may disaprove of... that I'd be asked to cease... I always viewed ideas that affected a majority of the members had to be discussed between the staff to decide if it's as beneficial as it seems.

[Also, if anyone IS interested or has idea's of adjustment, please PM me... I've got a million things floating in my head and I can't use them all... so constructive criticism is also welcomed. [even if you aren't interested.]

Loony BoB
03-12-2002, 06:41 AM
Cripes, Ashley. I can't think of any reason that Staff would disapprove of a kind gesture. There's nothing bad at all that could come of it. *goes back to chatting to you* :p

Dr Unne
03-12-2002, 06:05 PM
There's no rule against PMing new people to be nice. Being nice = good.

Daryl
03-12-2002, 06:58 PM
No, don't listen to Brian and Daniel! We on Staff highly disapprove of members who are kind to each other! [/sarcasm] :p

Knock yourself out, Ashley. If you need help, I'll befriend a few new members. Let me know.

Bahamut2000X
03-13-2002, 01:56 AM
I think I'll PM some newbies to talk to and then they will have someone to talk to unlike I did when I first came here.

Chemical
03-13-2002, 04:35 PM
Is there a way to retreive a list of members who join up in a day?

Like persay today. If I wanted to know who was new? Is there a way to find out who the new members of the day are? [newbs. >:} ]

crono_logical
03-13-2002, 04:49 PM
I guess you could look at the memberlist and sort by datee joined, they'll then all either be on the first or last page :p

Britt
03-13-2002, 10:05 PM
You don't need permission to make people feel welcome. :) Just remember that only those that concern themselves with "newbies" and "veterans" are newbies. Newbies and veterans do not exist; only people. :) Good people or bad people, but not newbies or veterans.

Minerva
03-13-2002, 11:18 PM
I don't mind helping, although I really haven't been here that long myself. Besides, it's not like you have to watch the new member's every move, just send them a welcoming PM offering them advice :)

As for the 'newbie' label, I'd be surprised if you found a message board where they didn't call new members newbies!

Sakura Yume
03-14-2002, 07:28 PM
<font color=#AFEEEE>I'd love to help out too Ashley even though I'm not exactly known around the forums or anything.</font>

Chemical
03-14-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by crono_logical
I guess you could look at the memberlist and sort by datee joined, they'll then all either be on the first or last page :p

But hat would be the smart thing to do. xD

angel
03-15-2002, 01:26 PM
hah !
i say we don't do anythin and keep banning al the uptight arses from the channel

heh .. j/k

this actually sounds like newbie claiming

i'm willing to take some newbies under my wings
not that i'm actually a good example of a member rolemodel
by the way why just the recognised members !? what about everybody with a custom rank ?

;)