PDA

View Full Version : Choose a Network

Ayen
05-14-2014, 03:01 AM

You have an idea for a show and are able to pitch it to any of the five major networks above. Which network do you choose and why? What would be your second choice if the first network turned down the idea? What night would you prefer to be on if you had a choice? What kind of show is it? How long do you think it could last? Would you burn down the studio if you were cancelled? Feel free to be as descriptive as you want. I plan to answer this myself when I make up my mind what kind of show I want to do as my choice of network will largely depend on that.

Discuss.

Botchmun
05-14-2014, 03:06 AM
I am canada and what is this?

Pumpkin
05-14-2014, 03:27 AM
Netflix

The Man
05-14-2014, 03:31 AM
Not Fox.

Shorty
05-14-2014, 04:26 AM
NBC is the superior of the listed networks. Cartoon Network is the superior of all networks.

Probably a comedy and probably on Thursdays at 8pm or something. That's a prime timeslot, right? Four or five seasons seems to be a good amount before shows start to peter off, but I think shows are best as short and sweet and leaving the people wanting more.

How funny, just this morning I was half-dreaming about something that I thought was really funny that probably wouldn't work for a movie but might for a tv episode. A dude who finds himself in obscure situations and responds even more obscurely to them, like finding a wheelchair just sitting on the sidewalk outside his apartment. So he gets into the wheelchair for no reason whatsoever other than to see what it's like to be in one and begins rolling down the street and then is loaded onto a bus that's stopped or something and everyone is all super kind to him all day because they think he's disabled and he just goes along with it.

It didn't go from there, but obviously there would be some uncomfortable clash at the end of the episode when it is discovered he is indeed not disabled. Little short stories like that each episode in which the story is expanded upon by some obscure decision or action he has made, maybe some long stretch of a bigger story inbetween, like having a crush on a neighbor girl (cliche) who he keeps seeing in the elevator of his place who he never talks to. Who knows! I can't decide if I want him to be obliviously innocent and naive like Elijiah Wood in Wilfred or if I want him to just be a obliviously terrible and asshole-ishly selfish like the cast of Seinfeld or It's Always Sunny. I think both are funny.

Colonel Angus
05-14-2014, 04:46 AM
NBC is the superior of the listed networks. Cartoon Network is the superior of all networks.
This is 2014 not 2004.

I'd go w/ Comedy Central.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-14-2014, 05:19 AM
Shorty beat me with mentioning Cartoon Network. I don't know that I'd pick any of the networks here. I'm not really familiar with what's generally on them though. I watch Bob's Burgers on Fox, I watched Community on NBC, and I kind of watch Agents of SHIELD (though I'm not sure what network they are on).

Honestly, if I was really shooting to do a show, I would pitch it to Cartoon Network. I'm honestly not sure what I would do, though. If they turned me down, I'd go for the Youtube channel Cartoon Hangover. They're affiliated with Frederator Studios and do the show Bravest Warriors among others. The only reason I bring them up is because they seem to have shows with a similar sense of humor as what you'd find on Cartoon Network.

Ayen
05-14-2014, 05:57 AM
I kind of watch Agents of SHIELD (though I'm not sure what network they are on).

Shield is on ABC.

I'd do a superhero show based off the current idea I'm writing a book about; a high schooler develops powers over the earth and accidentally kills a bunch of people in an earthquake prompting her to use her powers for good out of guilt. The only people who knows about it are her friends and family. I'd pitch it to the CW since that seems to be where all the high school settings are going and Arrow has done pretty well for itself on there. ABC would probably be my second choice because of Shield's presence.

I'd probably have it go on at 8pm on Monday replacing the recently cancelled Tomorrow People. Going off the current TV Guide my competition would be... Dancing With the Stars, Mike & Molly, Mom and 24. I have no idea what the fall schedule would look like nor what the audiences for those other shows are. My gut says most people would tune in for 24 and Dancing With the Stars.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-14-2014, 06:21 AM
Good to know I suppose, haha. I watch everything online so I often don't pay attention to networks or when my favorite shows are playing.

I'm really big on horror lately. I don't if any of these networks would actually be good for a horror show, though.

I Took the Red Pill
05-14-2014, 08:04 AM
A dude who finds himself in obscure situations and responds even more obscurely to them, like finding a wheelchair just sitting on the sidewalk outside his apartment. So he gets into the wheelchair for no reason whatsoever other than to see what it's like to be in one and begins rolling down the street and then is loaded onto a bus that's stopped or something and everyone is all super kind to him all day because they think he's disabled and he just goes along with it.

It didn't go from there, but obviously there would be some uncomfortable clash at the end of the episode when it is discovered he is indeed not disabled.This is pretty much exactly the plot of The IT Crowd S02E01 :grover:

Shorty
05-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Oh my GOD IT IS

Jinx
05-14-2014, 03:13 PM
My friend Zach and I once came up with a plot of a show. It'd be very Arrested Development-esque humor. It was going to be called Family Jewels and be about a family of cat burglers. I'd probably put it on NBC even though they're the lowest ranking network these days.

blackmage_nuke
05-14-2014, 03:28 PM
US has some pretty fancy channel names. Three out of five of our major channels are just numbers (seven, nine and ten), I can only assume it's because the TV networks thought we wouldnt understand how to use the remote unless it's spelled out for us.

Anyway the only US network I know about is NBC because of 30 Rock.

Ayen
05-15-2014, 11:19 PM
US has some pretty fancy channel names. Three out of five of our major channels are just numbers (seven, nine and ten), I can only assume it's because the TV networks thought we wouldnt understand how to use the remote unless it's spelled out for us.

The sad thing is my parents have asked which channel (insert network name here) is on before.

Colonel Angus
05-16-2014, 12:06 AM
When I was younger we'd always call the networks by what channel it was on. Seinfeld was on "Channel 5" not "NBC", etc.

Now w/ cable having the networks on channels different from the airwaves, you can't really do that anymore. @ a family party my grandfather actually asked "What channel is channel 32 on?"

Jinx, NBC would be a good choice to bring a show, since lower rated networks may be more likely to take a chance on a show than one that has a lot to lose.

Wow, I felt like a dick for not voting, so I picked one only to find out I'm only the 2nd person to vote.:lol:

Shorty
05-16-2014, 12:17 AM
I find it very difficult to believe NBC is the lowest ranking network station. Are you talking news-wise? News-wise, maybe it would be blasted out of the the water, because that is often how networks are judged in ratings. But NBC itself has some of the top-rated shows in history in its favor: The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Community, SNL, Friends, Law & Order, America's Got Talent, Hannibal, the Golden Globes, Miss USA & Miss Universe, The Tonight Show, The Late Night Show, plus a myriad of football programs.

Ayen
05-16-2014, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I'm not understanding how the stats are being measured here. Freya was telling me a couple of days back she learned Fox is currently the #1 rated network. How the hell did they become #1?

Colonel Angus
05-16-2014, 01:14 AM
Networks are rated by how many people watch them, w/ # of households watching TV taken into consideration. CBS is the #1 watched network.

Shorty, half those shows you mentioned aren't even on NBC anymore.:lol: Now, if we were doing what's the all time greatest network, then NBC gets the nod. But currently, I'd have to go w/ ABC, only because it has The Goldbergs & Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Mirage
05-16-2014, 01:16 AM
Netflix.

Shorty
05-16-2014, 03:12 AM
Precisely. Just because a network has a good running for a period of a time doesn't make it a generally good network. ABC is meta at best - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are just helping them out right now. I'd go for a network that has a solid history of good shows rather than taking a look at a snapshot in time!

Colonel Angus
05-16-2014, 03:16 AM
Precisely. Just because a network has a good running for a period of a time doesn't make it a generally good network. ABC is meta at best - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are just helping them out right now. I'd go for a network that has a solid history of good shows rather than taking a look at a snapshot in time!
I assumed the poll was currently. If it's all time, then I request my vote be changed to NBC. Or, someone who would vote ABC just vote NBC for me. Not that it matters, since this poll has an American Mid-Term Election turnout.

Shorty
05-16-2014, 03:17 AM
All time is just how I interpreted it :jess:

Shiny
05-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Where's the option for these:

HBO
Shotime
FX

All far superior. ;)

Ayen
06-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Where's the option for these:

HBO
Shotime
FX

All far superior. ;)

The picture only had the five, and I never would have remembered all the cable networks anyway. I should have added an other option, though. Actually, if staff can add an other option to the poll go ahead and do it.