PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Entertainment System

Pike
05-15-2014, 01:53 AM
Lately I've been playing The Legend of Zelda. The first one. I truly love this game - there are later Zelda games I love too, but something about the first is so delightfully charming and engrossing. And there's that glorious music, of course! :aimsun:

What are some of your favorite NES titles? Do you still play them on occasion?

NeoCracker
05-15-2014, 01:54 AM
Legend of the Ghost Lion was a fun one virtually no one had played. So was Ghengis Khan.

Don't really play them these days though.

Colonel Angus
05-15-2014, 01:59 AM
There are too many great NES games to list, but I'll try anyway.

Super Mario series
Final Fantasy
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Capcom Disney games
TMNT
Contra

Sometimes I'll play them.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-15-2014, 02:05 AM
I probably go back to my NES about once a week at least. Super C, any of the Mario games, Ninja Gaiden, and Gradius are my go to games right now. I just beat the first Zelda for the first time late last year actually. It's pretty great. I also have stuff on the Wii/U virtual console, but I just like playing on the actual NES.

Agent Proto
05-15-2014, 02:21 AM
If I still have my NES, I would probably play it from time to time. My favorite game would be Disney's Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers. :D I love that game to bits.

Pumpkin
05-15-2014, 03:12 AM
NES is before my generation, so I pretty much only play the remakes and I'm not entirely sure which ones originated on the NES :erm:

*ducks*

Sephex
05-15-2014, 03:33 AM
I'll still Mega Man 2 fairly regularly. I also adore and play the first three Mario games. Oh, and Kirby's Adventure is always fun to 100%!

For more traditional stuff, a guilty pleasure game of mine is Terminator 2. I have a video format Let's Play of it (that you can find in the bottom thread in the Let's Play forum). I kind of trash talk the game in the Let's Play, but at the end of the day I find it quite enjoyable.

R.C. Pro-AM is a very early Rare game that I got on the same Christmas they decided to get me a NES. It's a simple game that never really ends where the computer totally, blatantly cheats, but it's fun.

Oh, and the first Dragon Warrior! Very ancient and primitive by today's standards, but I enjoyed the hell out of that game. Especially the time my cousin and I went through it (mainly him since he knew what he was doing) and stayed up till some crazy hour while were still in single digit ages. This also was the very few time I noticed how catchy video game music can be, as my dad often hummed some of the music in this game.

AND WHO THE F*** CAN FORGET RAD RACER?!?!?!?!?

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/rrff.png

Dat Matt
05-15-2014, 08:10 AM
Eh, the NES is not for me. I have played Zelda 1 and 2 recently and also the original metriod, and those games are the weakest in the series IMO.

I never had a NES, I was too young, so I grew up away from that style of ganeplay when I was younger. Now trying to go back and comparing them to more recent games (like zero mission) the newer games are just better. Its not just the NES, the original pokemon red/blue is awful compared to more recent installments.

It seems like a nostalgia thing for days gone by. Personally, I don't get retro games.

Bubba
05-15-2014, 08:35 AM
I'll still Mega Man 2 fairly regularly.

Yup, me too. It's the game I probably think the fondest of when I think of the NES. That includes all the original Mario and Zelda titles.

I regularly play drunken games of Blades of Steel with my mate for no other reason that it's ridiculous fun and we're both equally pathetic after a few beers. We'll fire up my copy of Gyromite occasionally as well as that is really good fun. Also, Bubble Bobble!

I do still go back to the original Mario games quite often. Some people might argue too much when you consider my current high score on the Mario 1 challenge thread.

I have never completed the original Legend of Zelda though. I boot it up every once in a while but I can never get into it. I think because I started with ALLTP I was a bit spoiled.

Karifean
05-15-2014, 08:37 AM
I occasionally play Battletoads on an emulator if that counts.

Pike
05-15-2014, 10:22 AM
I do play the original Mario games quite a lot but I find that when I go back to them I usually go back to remakes or ports (either the GBA ports or Super Mario All-Stars on SNES.)

To those fearing that you are too young: It's never to late to give it a go! :D Atari 2600 went on sale a good six years before I was born but I can think of more than one Atari 2600 game I can easily spend hours on.

Sephex
05-15-2014, 10:23 AM
I do play the original Mario games quite a lot but I find that when I go back to them I usually go back to remakes or ports (either the GBA ports or Super Mario All-Stars on SNES.)

To those fearing that you are too young: It's never to late to give it a go! :D Atari 2600 went on sale a good six years before I was born but I can think of more than one Atari 2600 game I can easily spend hours on.

Missile Command.

Dat Matt
05-15-2014, 01:13 PM
NES games just aren't for me. I have the ambassador games that came with the 3DS and I just dont like them. For exampke, I hated the adventure of link, I would rather play super Mario 3D world rather than the original etc. Its not through lack of play that I've not got the retro bug, I just prefer more modern games. They are just designed better.

Shauna
05-15-2014, 01:19 PM
I hated the adventure of link

Is this such an unpopular opinion though

On topic: I have not played many NES games, and the ones I have played, I found I was not great at. xD But, I didn't dedicate any length of time to playing them though, so.

Bolivar
05-15-2014, 02:11 PM
My go-to is Mega Man 1, although I most often play it on Gamecube and PSP (the PSOne Japan import), the versions that keep pretty much everything the same as the original. I used to be able to run all the way up to the last few stages without breaking a sweat but I kinda suck now :\

I regularly play drunken games of Blades of Steel with my mate for no other reason that it's ridiculous fun and we're both equally pathetic after a few beers.

One of the craziest legacies of the NES is the Blades of Steel, RBI Baseball, and Tecmo Bowl triumvirate, games that have unreasonable followings to this day. Something about that design of early NES sports games has endured the generations; they're still some of the most fun games you can play with a friend.

metagloria
05-15-2014, 02:18 PM
I grew up on the NES. Final Fantasy, Mario 1-3, Mega Man 2-6 (never could find a copy of 1), TMNT 1-3 (the original is INSANELY HARD), Zelda 1-2 (I actually LOVE 2, even though it's also extremely hard)...that was the life.

Pike
05-15-2014, 03:17 PM
NES games just aren't for me. I have the ambassador games that came with the 3DS and I just dont like them. For exampke, I hated the adventure of link, I would rather play super Mario 3D world rather than the original etc. Its not through lack of play that I've not got the retro bug, I just prefer more modern games. They are just designed better.

It's no worries! My last post was directed at Shion; I should have clarified. But yeah I disagree; however it's all opinions! :)

Colonel Angus
05-15-2014, 04:16 PM
I grew up on the NES. Final Fantasy, Mario 1-3, Mega Man 2-6 (never could find a copy of 1), TMNT 1-3 (the original is INSANELY HARD), Zelda 1-2 (I actually LOVE 2, even though it's also extremely hard)...that was the life.
There was a Mega Man collection on PS2, you might be able to find that, or it might be more affordable than an NES copy. But MM1 is incredibly hard, so you aren't missing anything.

Ayen
05-15-2014, 08:09 PM
The NES was the first system I ever played. Sadly, I don't have one now since the NES we did have was my brother's and he sold it to our cousin. It's all old and barely plays games, now.

My favorites from the console (that I actually played on that console) were Super Mario Bros 1 & 2, Duck Hunt, Jaws, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II and Ninja Gaiden. I didn't play Zelda or Metroid until their re-releases. My brother had the gold cartridge of both Zelda games and he wouldn't let me touch them. The evil! EVIL!

Scotty_ffgamer
05-15-2014, 11:56 PM
One thing that I really like about the NES is that it uses S-video cables. It makes me sad that they opted to only use the RF cables or whatever they're called for the SNES/Genesis generation.

I do think that if my SNES used S-Video, I'd play it a lot more. SNES games feel like they took the formula of NES stuff and practically perfected it.

Sephex
05-16-2014, 02:04 AM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/megaman.png

Flying Mullet
05-16-2014, 04:11 AM
I think I played Dragon Warrior 3 more than any other game on my NES. Reading through everyone's lists brought back way more memories than are probably healthy to have attached to your childhood. *shrugs*

Wolf Kanno
05-16-2014, 08:06 AM
I will still occasionally hook my NES up and playthrough it again. Usually when I finally purchase another great gem of a game. There are too many game sfor me to think of but I think Mega Man 2 is easily my favorite game on the system, it just had the best level design, the most iconic bosses, and the best damn music in the series. The Legend of Zelda is also really fun and I have to give props to Capcom's Disney titles which are probably some of the best Disney themed games frankly ever.

Pumpkin
05-16-2014, 08:10 AM
My grandmother actually had one and I played it maybe 5 times when I was very young. I know I tried out a Zelda game (the first one I believe) and this other side scroller (haha) game that I really liked but can barely remember anything about.

But like I said, I was very young so as I mentioned I'm not really sure which games came from the NES.

Rez09
05-18-2014, 11:23 PM
The NES was one of the first consoles I owned, and it is still one of my favorites; I play more games for the NES than any other console. Shatterhand is my favorite NES game; The Legend of Zelda is my favorite entry in that series; Mega Man 4 was my favorite in that franchise until the release of 9, with the original a close second; Pro Wrestling, Punchout!, Nekketsu Dodgeball, and Nekketsu Hockey are my favorite sports titles; Dragon Quest 3 and Final Fantasy 1 and 3 are close to being my favorite entries in their series; Super Mario Brothers 3 and Kirby's Adventure are still excellent.

Colonel Angus
05-18-2014, 11:54 PM
For the life of me I can't get past the jumps in Gutsman's stage.

Rez09
05-19-2014, 12:23 AM
I love how fast you fall when those platforms drop you.