PDA

View Full Version : What do games say about you?

Pumpkin
05-15-2014, 03:08 AM
I was talking to someone who pointed out to me that some people prefer stories in games that are very black and white. There is a morally good side, and a morally bad side. The person in question disliked games like FFT because the story has many more grey areas. This leads me to believe that the person has a very strong moral code as to what is right and what is wrong.

So what do you think the games people like say about you? I like FFIX, its my favorite game, what does that say about me?

This is out of genuine curiosity because I enjoy learning things like this. Let's please try to keep this thread positive and respect the tastes of others, and not call them "idiots" or "simple" or other such thing because they like a certain type of game.

Pike
05-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Seeing as I play mostly historical war games, obviously the games I play are saying that I want to take over the world :mwahaha:

In reality I think a multitude of factors led to how I like the types of games I do. Story is not as important to me as the gameplay (in most cases), so I don't know if I would say anything about that aspect of myself as you mention in your example, but I think the types of games I played going up, as well as the things I was interested in (such as my love of history and science fiction), obviously had a big effect on what I wound up liking later.

Jiro
05-15-2014, 12:40 PM
I think games say that I am a little obsessive about video games.

Loony BoB
05-15-2014, 12:55 PM
I like playing all kinds of games, which perhaps goes in line with me doing my best to like all kinds of people.

I like playing as a "good" guy when given the option, which I suppose suggests I like doing the honourable thing.

I prefer co-op games to competitive multiplayer games, which could mean that I dislike losing and could also mean that I like building productive relationships.

I prefer gaming co-op to single player in general, which definitely means that I love my wife. ;)

I dunno, mostly I just feel games are a good source of entertainment. :shobon: They say that I like to sit around and take part in interactive entertainment without having to actually be physically powerful/talented in any way.

Quindiana Jones
05-15-2014, 02:00 PM
My collection most prominently says that I enjoy deep, engrossing stories. It's predominantly made up of Western and Japanese RPGs, as well as some action titles. The number of open-world style games suggest I enjoy exploring and have an inquisitive mind, perhaps? Also, I think the presence of truly magnificent and unique games in terms of art style and design - Dark Souls, Journey, Red Dead, Okami - might say something about me. Smug artsy type?

My Gamerscore suggests that I have a bigger dick than you and am more loved and respected by my peers than you will ever be, loser. :cool:

Bolivar
05-15-2014, 02:26 PM
It's really tough for me to say because I play everything from Tiger Woods and Call of Duty to Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. I regularly play Dota 2 and Path of Exile, the former which is about as hyper-competitive as it gets, while the latters' s corrupted areas require a ton of co-op teamwork to overcome.

The one thing I've noticed is the way I've grown older and matured as a player - I need solid design and mechanics to appreciate a game, as it's harder for me to get through Japanese or computer RPGs where gameplay and combat takes a backseat to story and setting.

escobert
05-15-2014, 02:28 PM
I like to kill bandits and zombies while giving fellow survivors medicine :)

Skyblade
05-15-2014, 04:32 PM
I was talking to someone who pointed out to me that some people prefer stories in games that are very black and white. There is a morally good side, and a morally bad side. The person in question disliked games like FFT because the story has many more grey areas. This leads me to believe that the person has a very strong moral code as to what is right and what is wrong.

Actually, as one of those types of gamers, I have to say that I don't think that isn't quite correct. FFT has a lot of black and white in it. Almost all of the characters (including the "good guy") simply stray more to the "black" side of it. This definitely contributes to my dislike of the game, but it's not the only reason (do I need to bring up the atrocious combat mechanics again?).

FFT's moral problem (and the problem with a lot of games that claim to be "grey area" games) is that it makes a grey area by forcing you to choose between two different degrees of black. A lesser of two evils question. This is fine, unless there is a clear and obvious third choice you could make, if the game wasn't written just to be so "dark" or "meaningful".

I generally despise playing villains, especially in games with heavy characterization. Games like GTA never held any appeal for me. When I played Sith characters in SWTOR, I always play them as Light Side. I just don't really feel any reason to play a jerk.

On the other hand, games where you're evil, but are either completely ridiculous, lack real characterization, or both, can be awesome. GTA2 was a sandbox demolition derby with no plot I can remember that I had a blast with. Evil Genius was a fantastically underrated game that just needed a little polish on the overworld mechanics to be the best Tycoon style game of all time.

theundeadhero
05-15-2014, 05:00 PM
They say I can get addicted to things and have nothing better to spend my time on :p

But, I like games with characterization and story. If everything is gray it's amazing. They're just people with good things and bad things about them trying to do the best they can while other people decide if they're good or bad for it. It should have decent playability and combat though because otherwise I find it hard to play through for the story and sometimes just don't.

Ayen
05-15-2014, 08:00 PM
"You suck, Tori!"

"Read the manual, Tori."

"You're going the wrong way, Tori!"

"Stop sucking at my game!" (Actual gameplay quote)

"I HAVE A DASH BUTTON, TORI! SMURFING USE IT!"

"Learn to parry!"

"DO YOU EVEN GAME, TORI!?"

And a bunch of other mean things.

Wolf Kanno
05-16-2014, 08:07 AM
I will have to come back to this.