PDA

View Full Version : Aeons

CimminyCricket
05-15-2014, 03:26 AM
Out of all of the FF games that I have played I think FFX has had the least amount of summon creatures. I would have liked to have seen a few more additions to the group (whether or not they are main story and had increased the length of story is irrelevant at this point). I think it would have been cool to see Titan and Carbuncle and maybe even a moogle. Who would you have liked to see?

Pumpkin
05-15-2014, 03:55 AM
I would have liked to see Leviathan and Carbuncle

Jinx
05-15-2014, 05:23 PM
I think Leviathan would've worked really well in this game. ALL THOSE ISLANDS. Could've made a story for him.

Story aside, I'm not sure how well Carbuncle would've worked for gameplay given that Yuna is the only party member on-screen when aeons are summoned.

Sephiroth
05-15-2014, 05:27 PM
I think Leviathan would've worked really well in this game. ALL THOSE ISLANDS. Could've made a story for him.

Story aside, I'm not sure how well Carbuncle would've worked for gameplay given that Yuna is the only party member on-screen when aeons are summoned.

It could block everything and counter with a mirror image if done right. Not too overpowered, of course. Only, if you know how to do it, it can be overpowered.

Pete for President
05-16-2014, 12:02 AM
XIII only has six, right?

I'd like more original ones.

Colonel Angus
05-16-2014, 12:15 AM
I'm not sure there would've been enough room for any more, but theme-wise, Leviathan would've fit.

Formalhaut
05-16-2014, 12:24 AM
I actually thought FFX had just the right number of summons. Leviathan would have fit, granted, and I don't actually recall there being a specific 'water' summon in this game.

Colonel Angus
05-16-2014, 01:16 AM
I actually thought FFX had just the right number of summons. Leviathan would have fit, granted, and I don't actually recall there being a specific 'water' summon in this game.
The only elemental Aeons were the standards, Ifrit & Shiva, plus Ixion. Basically, the three elements FF beats to death.

Jiro
05-16-2014, 04:00 AM
Curious, though, that in a game where the four key elements are aligned and opposed, that only three of them are represented via Aeon.

Colonel Angus
05-16-2014, 11:09 PM
The FF producers never pay much adherence to Air, Water or even Earth. That is odd, considering the western classical elements share those w/ the Japanese counterpart (note: Japan has mountain instead of Earth).

They had a chance to rectify that in XII, but instead gave one weak water spell & only 2 Aero spells. :irked:

sharkythesharkdogg
05-17-2014, 05:47 AM
I'm always down for a return of Doomtrain as a summon. Or maybe make one out of the Lunar Whale.

Jessweeee♪
05-17-2014, 06:30 AM
Yeah with the lack of a water Aeon it almost seemed like they had meant to have Leviathan in there and then didn't for some reason. Guess it would have been tricky having an aquatic creature on land.

Jiro
05-17-2014, 10:30 AM
I think the Final Fantasy VIII version of Leviathan has wings. Could easily make it flying as well.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-18-2014, 08:11 AM
I would have liked to see Leviathan, as well. I liked the aeon designs in this game so really any extra summon would have been awesome. I'm happy with the ones we did get, though. The Magus Sisters were a unique experience.

I don't know how you all feel about them, but I love doing the cloister of trials and having a water themed one would have been fun.

BlueD
05-18-2014, 09:23 PM
I liked the Aeons in X Valefor being one of my favorites. I didn't care for Ixion that much Ramuh would of been better IMO.

Leviathan would of looked awesome!

Formalhaut
05-18-2014, 11:31 PM
The FF producers never pay much adherence to Air, Water or even Earth. That is odd, considering the western classical elements share those w/ the Japanese counterpart (note: Japan has mountain instead of Earth).

They had a chance to rectify that in XII, but instead gave one weak water spell & only 2 Aero spells. :irked:

Yeah, Final Fantasies always seem to ignore these elements. Aero gets pretty good treatment, but Water and Earth, when they feature as an actual element, rarely possess spells or techniques that allow you to use them.

Using your XII as an example, they have the Earth element, but with no earth magick, and hardly any viable way to use it. Why bother with earth in the first place!

Colonel Angus
05-18-2014, 11:48 PM

Yeah, Final Fantasies always seem to ignore these elements. Aero gets pretty good treatment, but Water and Earth, when they feature as an actual element, rarely possess spells or techniques that allow you to use them.

Using your XII as an example, they have the Earth element, but with no earth magick, and hardly any viable way to use it. Why bother with earth in the first place!
The only attacks I can think of that have Earth elemental are the Mud Shot, Cypress Pole, & Gaia Rod. Hashmal is an Earth Esper.

Mirage
05-19-2014, 12:13 AM
FFXI has earth and wind elementals and the spells of those elements are as plentiful as for all other elements. Aero/Stone 1-5, Aeroga and Stonega 1-4 (-ga ending denotes AoE rather than the normal singletarget), Tornado, Tornado 2, Quake, Quake 2. Furthermore, buffs also have elements. Wind has blink (absorbs a set number of hits), earth has Stoneskin (absorbs a set amount of damage), water has aquaveil (reduces spell interrupt).

Almost everything has an elemental alignment in that game, which is further affected by the current ingame weather and day. Casting thunder during a lightningstorm will occasionally increase the damage and accuracy of the spell, and so on for all other spells.

That aside, and more on topic, I guess there could have been a few more elements in the game, in particular a water based aeon, as we covered all other elements. I guess the lower number of aeons is offset by giving us a lot better control over their behavior and also their development.

Perducci
05-19-2014, 05:59 AM
Would have preferred Ramuh over Ixion, I think.

Leviathan is a good shout but if I had to choose another summon to put in there, I'd like to see Alexander.

Mirage
05-19-2014, 06:52 AM
Well, the holy element doesn't exist in ffx, while the water element does, so that's why I am missing levi a lot more than Alex. Interestingly though, the holy element suddenly starts existing in ffx2

Perducci
05-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Holy was in FFX. It's the last thing on Yuna's sphere grid as far as I remember. :O

EDIT: Also, couldn't the cure/life/etc spells all be grouped as 'Holy', too?

Karifean
05-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Holy was in FFX. It's the last thing on Yuna's sphere grid as far as I remember. :O

EDIT: Also, couldn't the cure/life/etc spells all be grouped as 'Holy', too?

Yeah Holy did exist. However, Cure/Life/etc. are NEVER "holy" magic, it's "restorative" magic. There's an important difference between the two, mainly that one deals damage and one restores HP.

Mirage
05-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Right, I'm just not sure if it uses the holy element, or if it's just non elemental magic damage. Are there enemies in ffx that take extra damage from holy, that can't be accounted for with the target's magic defence and caster's magic power? Are there enemies that are immune to holy but no other spells? If not, chances are that it is just non elemental in nature but with a holy spell effect.

Additionally, cure and holy actually share the same element in ffxi :p. They're light elemental offensive magic and light elemental defensive/restorative magic. It's not like that in ffx, of course, but it's wrong that they are never of the same element.

Karifean
05-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Holy is indeed its own element. Yunalesca is weak to it.

Ah I didn't know that, to my knowledge in most FF games restorative magic is just defined via the "restorative" element. Though attacks can have mutiple elements, of course.

Perducci
05-19-2014, 11:35 AM
I usually just group restorative magic in with Holy regardless of which game I'm playing. It's all white magic to me... :p

magemasher
05-19-2014, 08:30 PM
I liked Valfor, his evasion was really useful for getting overdrives quickly. I always used to rename him "Levi" as there was no Leviathan.

Mirage
05-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Valefor is female. Or at least the fayth is/was.

Jinx
05-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I don't think Ixion necessarily "makes sense", but he fits in to Spira way better than Ramuh would've. Since the fayth were actual people and none of the aeons (maybe Yojimbo a little bit) resemble humans, it would've been strange.

That said, I do prefer Ramuh to Ixion.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Brothers would have made a good earth element Aeon.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Doomtrain haha

No, but it would have been interesting to see how you would fit a train Aeon into battle when it has to stay on screen and fight.

Pandemona and Alexander would have been good choices.

I know Bahamut's impulse attack was non-elemental but I always see him as like a dark/shadow type.

Aelitalily
05-29-2014, 08:12 AM
To add to this thread I also agree that Levi would have made an excellent choice to add to this mix...

Personally Carbuncle would have made my day.

I am curious about if I should level all of my Aeons equally (so far I have focused on my favorites, Shiva, Ifrit and Bahamut) I was working on Valefor for a while but I started to wonder if it would be a waste since he seems a little weaker than the other summons, until I noticed someone mentioning his evasion being high/good for building overdrive...

Does anyone else have preferences on which Aeons to focus on?

Mirage
05-29-2014, 01:45 PM
I don't think you should spend resources on boosting anything but the bonus aeons, seeing as they are so ridiculously much more powerful than the five first. I only really dumped a few spheres into bahamut because i was at 99 of them and would be losing any spheres I would find at that point. And also because is the only story aeon with built-in break damage limit.

Aelitalily
05-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Hmmmm I see... I only just unlocked Yojimbo and I have already spent a fair bit leveling 3 out of the first 5... might heed your advice and hold off on boosting them anymore :3 I just looked up how some of the other Aeons can get the break damage limit and saw some interesting facts - ewwww sad face Lulu = Shiva >_<; - I might end up getting Wakka and Yuna \o/

Need to get the fully powered up celestial weps ;
Yuna - Valefor
Auron - Yojimbo
Lulu - Shiva
Kimahri - Ixion
Wakka - Ifrit

Karifean
05-30-2014, 07:42 PM
You actually only need to get the crest and use it to power up the weapon once. After that, the respective aeon can break the damage limit. You don't need to get the sigils.

Pete for President
05-30-2014, 11:48 PM
Curious, though, that in a game where the four key elements are aligned and opposed, that only three of them are represented via Aeon.

Dude I never even realised.

Dat Matt
06-06-2014, 08:35 PM
You actually only need to get the crest and use it to power up the weapon once. After that, the respective aeon can break the damage limit. You don't need to get the sigils.

Sigils are the the hardest to get as well. All are linked to some minigame. All the crests are just sitting around in various locations. Make it easy to break the damage limits.

Ayen
06-06-2014, 08:37 PM
I always thought the summons they had in the game were adequate. Can't really think of any I would want to add.

Dat Matt
06-06-2014, 08:44 PM
I ended up never using Summons. Yuna was a staple of my early game party, but she falls to the back line at the end of the game.