PDA

View Full Version : Do you use everyone in battles?

Pumpkin
05-15-2014, 04:46 AM
I make sure to take a turn with everyone, even if it just means using "cheer" or something and then switching them out, so that they all get points at the end.

Do you use everyone in battle, or only the ones you need?

Nebulance
05-15-2014, 12:23 PM
I tend to switch people out on a per-battle basis based on whether they get a sphere level or not. For instance, in the first battle of a session, if I have Lulu, Tidus and Auron, and Tidus gets a sphere level, he'll get switched out. This seemed like a fair way to get everyone to level up in a reasonably even fashion, though your method may be better...

Psychotic
05-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Lord no. Who is Kimahri again?

Carl the Llama
05-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Who is Kimahri again?

Nanaki's great grandson.

I prefer to just change weapons with the people I don't use for that battle, it has the shortest time between their current turn and their next turn. I can usually get all but 1 characters turns done by the time it comes to kill the monsters.

Jinx
05-15-2014, 01:46 PM

Jiro
05-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Only in battles that give worthwhile exp. I tend to use four or five of the characters anyway in a exploit weaknesses kind of way, but in boss fights and whenever there are great SP giving enemies around you better fucking believe it.

Pike
05-15-2014, 06:14 PM
What the heck guys Kimahri is great

Jinx
05-15-2014, 06:19 PM
I really like Kimahri as a character, not so much in battle.

Madame Adequate
05-15-2014, 06:21 PM
But blue magic!

Pike
05-15-2014, 06:21 PM
But blue magic!

And skewering monsters through the skull with a polearm!

LunarWeaver
05-15-2014, 07:11 PM
I stuck to the characters that instarape the enemies provided during trash encounters. Hit, boom, move along. My roommate swapped them in and out constantly. At the end of the game, with no extra grinding from each of us, our parties were more or less equal, so his scuttling was all for nothing. So much aerobics!

AssassinDX
05-15-2014, 07:22 PM
I try to, but yeah Kimahri has fallen way, way behind to the point where he doesn't serve much purpose.

metagloria
05-15-2014, 07:24 PM
I try to in every single battle, usually defending with characters I don't need to use.

Dat Matt
05-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Na, my team varies. Usually is Rikku, Yuna, Auron or something like that. Other characters will be used, but far less frequently.

Vermachtnis
05-15-2014, 07:58 PM
No, I just picked my three favorite characters and had them up front. Tidus, Auron/Rikku, and Lulu for the entire game.

Pete for President
05-15-2014, 11:59 PM
Get creative with Ability/Magic spheres and Kimahri can be king with his seemingly limitless mp. Mug and Hastega are recommended.

Anywho I used to switch everyone in and out all the time, but now I don't really bother anymore. I use whoever gets the job done which usually means everyone gets screen time because of monsters' unique weaknesses.

I always start with Tidus/Rikku/Yuna however, since having the quickest chars in your party when the battle starts is basically free "First Strike" ability. Ambushes excluded.

Colonel Angus
05-16-2014, 12:18 AM
All this non-switching out is just insanity. I try to get everyone in, to @ least do something. Even if it does drive me crazy sometimes.:erm:

magemasher
05-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Yeah I switch each round, usually just press triangle to defend with Yuna. Wakka is only doing 250 damage entering Zanarkand so thinking of dropping him. Kimarhi is literally a beast when you complete him, it's a first for me.

Mirage
05-16-2014, 01:15 AM
Yeah, you can get exp for just defending half a turn so it's not a big problem. Everyone usually gets screentime just because of enemy weaknesses, but kimarhi kinds of doesn't have a specific enemy he's strong against so he's forgotten about more often.

I kind of think the exp sharing in ffx is dumb anyway. Considering most characters are gonna be needed most of the time, everyone should either just have gotten the same exp, or at least be given 50% exp if they weren't used. That way, the people you use remain strongest, but you don't have to spend annoying amounts of time to make certain characters catch up.

Colonel Angus
05-16-2014, 01:22 AM
Tlo be honest, you can probably win the game easily just using Wakka (for aerial enemies), Auron (for high defense enemies) & Tidus (for agile enemies). The only thing, you might need Lulu for weapon-immune enemies.

Mirage
05-16-2014, 02:56 AM
You don't really need tidus either. Wakka can easily hit agile enemies too, due to his high accuracy. He might just need two rounds to do it because often times he'll hit for like 5% less than an agile enemy's hp. A 10%str ball usually takes care of that.

Colonel Angus
05-16-2014, 03:08 AM
Very true. You can also get him into Auron's zone & Wakka could raise his attack quite nicely.

DMKA
05-16-2014, 03:21 AM
Meh, I tend to just switch every so many battles and then stick with the same team for awhile.

I often see people say Kimahri is difficult to find a use for, but personally I've always found myself using Lulu the least. Guess I'm not a big magic user.

Rostum
05-16-2014, 08:11 AM
I try and use everyone, and to be honest it led to me being quite overpowered with doing little to no real grinding. Just following the story. Definitely worthwhile, and doesn't take that much longer.

Jessica
05-16-2014, 01:39 PM

OMG what! Kimahri is amazing and I use him all the time. The very 1st time I played I never used him in battle so he was kind of pointless, but now I have him taking Lulu's path and it is awesome having 2 black mages. I used to have him follow Auron or Wakka's path, I don't remember which, but I already have 3 great "strong" fighters (Auron, Wakka and Tidus) but only 1 black mage so I thought it'd be better having him learn black magic and it's seriously the best thing ever. I'm very happy and I use him in every battle. Well, I use every character in every single battle so they can all get exp. :)

Sefie1999AD
05-16-2014, 04:34 PM
In my past games, I've tried to use all the characters, but it's quite tedious to cycle between 7 characters and have 4 of them defend, while you really need just 3 characters to beat the enemies. Therefore, as I progress in the game, I can't be bothered to use all the characters all the time, so usually Kimahri and maybe Lulu get left behind. I use the expert sphere grid, so it's quite easy to teach Yuna the level 2 black magic spells (Fira, Thundara etc) early in the game, which makes Lulu somewhat unnecessary.

metagloria
05-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Here's the problem with Kimahri: he's not in your party during the single best level-grinding spot in the entire game (the Highbridge). So when you hit the Calm Lands, suddenly you have six world-destroyers and one non-specialized guy who's lagging way behind. It basically cripples him for the rest of the game.

Nebulance
05-16-2014, 11:24 PM
Here's the problem with Kimahri: he's not in your party during the single best level-grinding spot in the entire game (the Highbridge). So when you hit the Calm Lands, suddenly you have six world-destroyers and one non-specialized guy who's lagging way behind. It basically cripples him for the rest of the game.

Perfect description of the issue.

Colonel Angus
05-17-2014, 12:07 AM
I never really used the Highbridge, just Omega Ruins.

metagloria
05-17-2014, 12:32 AM
But how do you get strong enough to kill the guys in Omega Ruins?

Highbridge!

Colonel Angus
05-17-2014, 12:38 AM
But how do you get strong enough to kill the guys in Omega Ruins?

Highbridge!
W/ the right equipment, it's not impossible. Having First Strike is a lifesavOr. The only truly nightmarish creature is the Malboro. Gotta keep Yunie in reserve just in case you face one of those.

Vermachtnis
05-17-2014, 04:38 AM
You can grind on Highbridge?

sharkythesharkdogg
05-17-2014, 05:44 AM
I rotate, but not constantly. If someone falls behind, they hang out in the combat party until they're back even. Then on to the next person.

blackmage_nuke
05-17-2014, 07:11 PM
On my second playthrough I tried to get everyone exp in every battle but I didnt move Kimhari along the grid until I got the lvl spheres.

BlueD
05-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Kimhari was one of my favorite characters to play with after I had him learn steal and use from Rikkus grid I moved him to Tidus's to learn hastaga then off to Aurons he went he was for me one of my more useful characters. My second Character was Yuna I rarely summoned Aeons unless it was a boss fight and I was only using their overdrives with Yuna I had her learn all her useful skills and later on in the game when I had the better spheres I had her learn LuLu's level 3 magic and moved her to LuLus grid her magic was just as strong plus I had her healing skills. My third character switched between wakka and LuLu I usually ended up maxing Wakkas grid and moving him into Aurons which made him a powerhouse. Tidus and I Auron I didnt use as much the second time playing and Ive never ever used Rikku I always found her useless getting her so far into the game.

metagloria
05-19-2014, 10:26 PM

such grind very SP many strong wow

Nebulance
05-20-2014, 12:24 PM

The Highbridge is where I get probably the most growth in my characters. Just back and forth up and down the Highbridge. It may get a bit repetitive, but that's when you throw some music on and grind for a while :) (no pun intended)

Depression Moon
05-20-2014, 08:41 PM
For my first playthrough or two the only character I didn't use was Kimahri and thought he sucked. He takes work to make good and for a good portion you have to have him stuck on his grid because I believe you need a key sphere just to get him out of his grid. This game is better than all the other FFs in that it encourages you to switch characters often with the varied enemy types.

Mo-Nercy
05-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I've always tried to level everyone up. I thought that was what most people did, actually. Often I leave one lone enemy attacking my party as I go through and make everyone defend so they get a turn in.

Kimahri is awesome. I do something different with him every game. He's only held into his little part of the Sphere Grid by Lvl 1. Key Nodes, and you pick up about 20 of them in Djose (I think). I usually send him down Wakka's path but I've also tried him as a backup White and Black Mage (Lancet = unlimited MP).

I have not thought to grind on the Highbridge. I'll be sure to try it when I get up to there in the current playthrough... But Kimahri would miss out wouldn't he? He's not in the party because he's holding off Seymour, right?

Aulayna
05-26-2014, 12:34 PM
As much as possible, yes. Sometimes I forget or just want to get the battle out of the way.

Especially on those ones where you get into a battle 2 pixels away from a chest you're trying to get too...

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-26-2014, 05:37 PM
I switch everyone in the party often, but not in every battle. If I'm fighting a turtle, a bird, and a flan than I'm cool with just using Auron, Wakka and Lulu for that battle. I will try to switch in everyone for boss battles and really tough regular monsters.

Sometimes I'll switch someone out if i'm low on HP and just don't want to use a potion :shobon:

Surprised by the lack of Ronso love here. Have to keep him beefed up for his touching solo fight on Gagazet!

Aelitalily
05-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Personally I level everyone and switch them all out - I use the same principle as Pokemon - You need a good balanced team ! :3 And I just assumed you would be wasting "exp" otherwise since they all get the same regardless if 3 people fight or all 7... I hope I am not imagining this... heheheh :3

Raistlin
06-01-2014, 10:17 PM

Yes. I used everyone else except Kimahri.

Freya
06-03-2014, 04:54 AM
I really don't switch them out much. I don't like using some characters in combat. I mean I will switch them in and out but not really?

Ayen
06-03-2014, 04:57 AM
I use who I need to.

Rocket Edge
06-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Yes. L1 & triangle have become a reflex.

BustaMo
06-13-2014, 12:50 AM
At first when I was playing through the game I didn't use everyone. Rikku, Lulu, and Kimahri were always on my bench and only came in to use specific abilities to take down tough bosses or fiends. However, when it came around to fighting enemies in the Monster Arena and fighting Cactuars in the desert to level up on the Sphere Grid, I would sub in everyone even to just defend. I just tried to get them one turn to get the AP.

jodymcdougle
07-15-2014, 05:57 PM
I try to use everyone. of course, I tend to use my favorite characters a whole lot more. I do try to keep my team balanced though.