PDA

View Full Version : Who is Cloud's "inner voice?"

Spooniest
05-15-2014, 11:51 AM
There are times when all the world's asleep
The questions run too deep
For such a simple man

Cloud is constantly getting warnings/flashbacks during the first half of the story...so where are they coming from? I've thought that it was his "inner self," that Sephiroth can't control, trying to stop him from being controlled, but perhaps there's more to it than that?

Whadaya think?

Big D
05-15-2014, 12:01 PM
I think it was Cloud's 'real self', trying to break through the layers of suffering and false memories built up during his years of captivity and experimentation at Shinra's hands.

Yellow_Magic
05-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Mr. T

Parker
05-15-2014, 03:24 PM
I just started another run and was wondering the same thing. I'm inclined to agree with Big D. Sometimes it seems vaguely naive or even occasionally maternal. I'm pretty sure it's some nice-guy Cloud trying to help real Cloud along his way.

Loony BoB
05-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Does anyone have a collection of the various lines said in the "inner voice"? I think Big D is probably right, but it would be kind of neat to analyse them a little, see if there are other possibilities.

Sephiroth
05-15-2014, 04:50 PM
There are times when all the world's asleep
The questions run too deep
For such a simple man

Cloud is constantly getting warnings/flashbacks during the first half of the story...so where are they coming from? I've thought that it was his "inner self," that Sephiroth can't control, trying to stop him from being controlled, but perhaps there's more to it than that?

Whadaya think?

When Cloud began confabulating subconsciously he activated the JENOVA-S-cells and split up his mind in one part that can fit the lie and one that does not fit the lie. So he pushed back and isolated that "truth" part in his subconsciousness. It is not that Cloud is not his "real self" (he only is not "real" in a metaphorical way, as he changed very much, didn't actually totally want that change naturally as we do, and is lying to himself while the surface does not get it as he surpresses it) as it is very well Cloud's consciousness and essence that is on the surface, which is the reason why "liar Cloud" also retained his coolness, and many other things of his normal character (can be seen and is also stated; that also was reason for Aerith to be interested in Cloud after she noticed she is more than just another Zack, she wanted to know him and him to be aware of himself fully and completely. If we go for "real" as in "normal" or "original" then it is simply Liar Cloud (that wanted to stay in that illusion but at the same time didn't know it was one as it was because of his confabulation and was the "master of his own illusion") - Lie + Isolated Cloud. He simply confabulated and replaced that part that he didn't need with the lie as that part was troublesome and that part also tried to warn him while lying in his subconsciousness as many parts of us do. The "new personality" thing is also more metaphorical than anything and was only a change of character, not "another person" literally like you and me with another consciousness making it another individual, and so had much truth remaining on the surface while the subconscious part or "personality" that knew the truth and was isolated is not even an own person with its own consciousness but simply a part of himself, another level that cries out like an echo to wake him up. A normal process of things we surpress or that simply is in our subconsciousness. Somehow it always affects us and influences us and in that case it wanted be be complete agai and get rid of the lie that combined with the okay part that remained on the surface.

So the inner voice is his isolated part that knows the truth.

It's Cloud's true and real identity, it's the real Cloud and not the fake one that's throughout cd 1 & and beginning of cd 2 before Cloud goes smurfing nuts and completely off his rocker.

Exactly the words as it is not the case. Normally the metaphoric and literal meaning is not the same. So it isn't here.

VeloZer0
05-15-2014, 04:51 PM
I think it was Cloud's 'real self', trying to break through the layers of suffering and false memories built up during his years of captivity and experimentation at Shinra's hands.
This is what I always assumed.

Colonel Angus
05-15-2014, 04:51 PM
It's Jesus.

There's actually a part cut out in the final release where Cloud goes to use "the bathroom" & his inner voice says, "Those who want to enter My Father's Kingdom don't touch themselves there."

Mercen-X
05-17-2014, 12:18 AM
It's Jesus.

There's actually a part cut out in the final release where Cloud goes to use "the bathroom" & his inner voice says, "Those who want to enter My Father's Kingdom don't touch themselves there."

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in a review of the game on Yelp.

Colonel Angus
05-17-2014, 12:25 AM
It's Jesus.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in a review of the game on Yelp.
:lol: Great minds think alike.

Jiro
05-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Cloud confirmed for body of Christ.

Spooniest
05-17-2014, 06:33 PM
It's Jesus.

Just because it was at one time intended for the game doesn't mean it's canon. Think; why did they cut it from the game?

I'd say probably because it's stupid as fuck, myself.

Mons
05-17-2014, 11:49 PM
He was infected with "Mako Poisoning". Most likely memory identity crisis. The inner voice is kinda like a guide in my opinion, the helpful person who just helps you gather more of the puzzle together, i don't think its much relevant who or what it was. Just needs to be relevant to help the player.

Mercen-X
05-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Honestly, I think Cloud's true form is the Cloud of Darkness. Cloud Strife. Think about it, in KH he even sprouts a black bat wing, dresses emo, and broods worse than Vincent the Vampire. It is only because he has forgotten himself that he never achieves his life's true goal: to erase existence and replace it with darkness.

Parker
05-18-2014, 10:12 AM
I'm gonna say it's the kid form of Cloud, having just watched the scene where Cloud hands over the Black Materia to seph-balls. I totally forgot but you have the controllable child-cloud and you can futilely run around telling adult-cloud to not be afraid or w/e

maybee
05-18-2014, 10:51 AM
It's Cloud's true and real identity, it's the real Cloud and not the fake one that's throughout cd 1 & and beginning of cd 2 before Cloud goes smurfing nuts and completely off his rocker.

Skyblade
05-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Question: Does anyone remember the last point we hear the voice at in the game?

Mercen-X
05-19-2014, 02:19 AM
Mideel, just before his psychosis is resolved.

Newmani
05-19-2014, 02:28 AM
Honestly, I think Cloud's true form is the Cloud of Darkness. Cloud Strife. Think about it, in KH he even sprouts a black bat wing, dresses emo, and broods worse than Vincent the Vampire. It is only because he has forgotten himself that he never achieves his life's true goal: to erase existence and replace it with darkness.

But ain't Darkness a girl? How's that even supposed to work? ._.

Also should we even count that as canon? The actual story has been completely derailed.

Mercen-X
05-19-2014, 03:28 AM
In my fanfiction, Cloud turned out to be a girl. In fact, he was Tifa all along and had an apparently intimate relationship with Yuffie.

WMGs generally leave no room for logic, reality is whatever we say it is. :p

Newmani
05-19-2014, 04:19 AM
In my fanfiction, Cloud turned out to be a girl. In fact, he was Tifa all along and had an apparently intimate relationship with Yuffie.

Aww heck it's not nearly as bad as my WMG about FFVII's universe and Pokemon's universe being linked in some way and the three musketeers being glitches from Pokemon Red.

Parker
05-19-2014, 10:37 AM

can i read this please

Alive-Cat
05-21-2014, 05:46 PM
I've always thought it was Cloud's inner/true self too.