PDA

View Full Version : Poor Raine

Pumpkin
05-15-2014, 11:34 PM
I love Raine as a character, I really do. But I feel bad for this fictional lady when I hear things about how Laguna settled for her and he should have been with Julia.

This woman adopted an orphan girl whose parent were killed, then she takes in wounded Laguna, nurses him back to heath, they fall in love, she gets pregnant and gives birth while he's gone and then dies. I think the last thing she needs is "Laguna should never have been with you." Maybe this is just me having had several boyfriends cheat on me with their exes, but gee whiz that would sting.

Besides, I think they had a really great love story!

Scotty_ffgamer
05-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Do people actually say that in game? I don't remember that, but I might have just blocked that out. I like Raine quite a bit and what little we see of her relationship with Laguna.

Ayen
05-16-2014, 12:10 AM
Neither Squall nor Rinoa would have been born if they ended up together, since they wouldn't have had the DNA mix require to make them, so...

Pumpkin
05-16-2014, 12:17 AM
Nah, I've heard people say it outside of the game.

I want to smack them

Ayen
05-16-2014, 12:18 AM
Nah, I've heard people say it outside of the game.

I want to smack them

Sounds like someone's been visiting the comments section.

Or tumblr.

Shorty
05-16-2014, 12:46 AM
If people want to think that about Raine, that's up to them. The beauty about these games is personal interpretation; Laguna and Julia not ending up together adds for a tragic element to his already tragic character.

I do think it's sad Laguna missed out on the love of his life, but I'm glad he was able to find another to love all the same.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-16-2014, 04:27 AM
I honestly feel more sad for Julia getting stuck with Caraway or whatever his name was. Perhaps they had a good relationship, but he just seemed like such an unlikable guy to me. Although, perhaps he just turned into the colder person we see in the game after Julia's death.

Jiro
05-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Laguna did settle and he theoretically never should have ended up with Raine. But that doesn't undermine what the two of them had, which was something remarkable. Laguna found something he never expected to find, and if not for Ellone's kidnapping, he would have stayed there, with Raine, and lived peacefully. It's some Shakespeare level shit, all tragic and fucked up. Julia had it just as bad; she waited for her love to come back from war and she couldn't even get a confirmation of his death. I'm sure Caraway was at least some kind of husband but being the General must have made for long working hours away from home. The star-crossed lovers trope is double-played in Final Fantasy VIII which is one of the strongest salvaging features for Squall and Rinoa's relationship.

Jinx
05-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Julia and Laguna had only met a handful of times, though, right?

Skyblade
05-17-2014, 03:48 PM

Yep. The only talked the one time we see in the game. After that, Laguna shipped out and they never met again.

Wolf Kanno
05-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Like with most complicated relationships, Julia was the woman Laguna wanted but Raine was the woman he needed.

Jiro
05-18-2014, 03:47 AM

Yep. The only talked the one time we see in the game. After that, Laguna shipped out and they never met again.

Julia and Laguna admired each other from afar for some time. I have no doubt that at least part of the strong feelings they felt were based purely on physical attraction. They were definitely infatuated with each other, and there is no guarantee a relationship between them would have worked out any better than their respective relationships, but it was an unexplored possibility and that makes it seem all the more tragic for them and, theoretically, for us from a narrative standpoint.

I think most of us can relate to the feeling of having a really powerful crush on someone. Finding out that the beautiful and talented person you're crushing on is also super into you is intoxicating.