PDA

View Full Version : The record company's gonna give you lots of money and everything's gonna be alright

Shorty
05-16-2014, 03:27 AM
you know it started playing in your head (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL3Rj9IT4Mc)

If someone approached you to give you money beyond your wildest dreams to do something or endorse something you didn't agree with or believe in, would you do it? Why or why not?

Pumpkin
05-16-2014, 03:28 AM
Depends what it was and for how much money

Shorty
05-16-2014, 03:30 AM
A million dollars and whatever it is you feel like you would have a difficult time saying yes to in that it would compromise your morals, personal integrity, or change you into someone other than who you are.

Pumpkin
05-16-2014, 03:32 AM
Most likely yes. I could pay my mom's husband back for helping support my son, I could get my mom on her feet, and I could feed so many people with that money.

It would be hard but in the end I could probably justify it because I could feed some struggling people, or pay their rent, or pay off their medical bills, or donate to animal shelters. There is just so much good that I could do with it that at a certain point I would have to put aside my pride and just do it.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-16-2014, 03:34 AM
I would need more details about the specific thing that I'm being asked to support, but most likely not.

Jiro
05-16-2014, 03:57 AM
Yeah it comes down to a case by case basis. I mean I would sell out and then be like "lol guys I don't mean x I just wanted their money here have some small gifts or donations to restore your faith in me"

Miss Mae
05-16-2014, 04:00 AM
Again, case by case. I'm a big fan of not selling out, but I'm also a big fan of not being poor.

blackmage_nuke
05-16-2014, 04:05 AM
Depends on if it was something I had to only do once or something I had stand by after I did it and It depends on if Im endorsing something or actually doing it.

For endorsing something:
Would I go on tv and say "I hate blacks and gays, lets shoot them all" for a billion untaxable dollars? Yes. I would then try to spread the word that I only did it for money and try to put some of that money towards helping people.
If everytime I was asked "what do you think about interracial/gay marriage" I had to say "Its an affront to god" well then I'd need money in the trillions to buy my own country to make that worth it.

For doing something:
If they actually told me I had to kill or beat up a black/gay guy (or any person for that matter) then I wouldnt do it without the person's consent (maybe I can offer to give his/her remaining family a cut of that trillion and they'd be happy to die for it). Even then I might have trouble killing someone. I dont know what i'd do in that situation until the moment arives.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-16-2014, 04:09 AM
If it goes against my morals/integrity/etc, probably not. As others have alluded to, it's pretty hard to picture this scenario without specifics. That being the case, every scenario I can think of involves the harm of someone else (whether physically or mentally/socially); and that is something I would never do for any amount of money.

Now, if someone asked me to sell out in my writing career for a few million, I would do that in a hear beat probably. I would write the crappiest, cringe-inducingest thing if I was getting a bunch of money for it. Preferably, this would be under a pseudonym of mine. Regardless of if that were the case, I would be vocal and go public about the deal made with full disclosure that I think it's crap.

The Man
05-16-2014, 04:09 AM
Depends what it was and whether I could then use that money to right whatever wrongs might have been caused by my endorsing/doing whatever. So basically what Jiro, blackmage_nuke, and the others said. Money can accomplish a lot in societies like ours, to an unfortunate degree.

Ayen
05-16-2014, 04:12 AM
Man: Do it!
Me: I don't wanna!
Man: It's a million dollars, do it!
Me: *sighs* Uwe Boll is the greatest director to ever live.

Sephex
05-16-2014, 04:12 AM
I'd take a cue from Radiohead and

TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN TAKE THE MONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quindiana Jones
05-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Yes.

Parker
05-16-2014, 10:12 AM
It really depends but probably not I don't wanna be on TV

Loony BoB
05-16-2014, 10:12 AM
I'll just echo the majority here and say that it would depend on the cash sum and what I'm being asked to do.

Pike
05-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Depends on what it is

Also I have never heard this song before so ahahaha it didn't get in my head :smug:

Old Manus
05-16-2014, 11:35 AM
I already moved within half a mile of Cardiff City Stadium so I'm already going against everything I stand for. Where are my million dollars?

Alive-Cat
05-16-2014, 05:07 PM
This exact thing happened to Dratson the other day. Dratson.

noxious.sunshine
05-16-2014, 11:29 PM
Yes.

ain't no shame in my game.

Spooniest
05-17-2014, 01:16 AM
You're basically asking, "how low will you stoop for money" but failing to say where rock bottom is.

There are many many things I would be perfectly fine endorsing for money, and many things I would be vehemently opposed to doing, no matter the sum of money.

I have to say, the question is far too general.

Shorty
05-17-2014, 01:18 AM
Sorry, folks, I can't tailor a specific low-bar scenario for everyone here! As everyone has different ideas of moral ground, the idea was simply to come up with a creative scenario yourself and answer yes or no :jess:

also pike what the hell man!

Madame Adequate
05-17-2014, 03:53 AM
It's a lovely scenario. I'd love to get paid loads of money to violate my principles. As it stands, I'm poor enough that I'll take anything resembling minimum wage to violate my ethics. :(

fire_of_avalon
05-17-2014, 04:10 AM
YES IT DID.

And probably not. A million dollars to throw support behind the WBC? Fuck your million dollars.

Jiro
05-17-2014, 05:04 AM
also pike what the hell man!
I, too, have never heard this song. :gator:

Shorty
05-17-2014, 05:12 AM
I weep for your depraved teenagedoms.

The Man
05-17-2014, 05:38 AM
the song I got in my head because of the title was:

CYHGh6lmSbo

so make of that what you will :monster:

Miss Mae
05-17-2014, 05:42 AM
My brain went with this, to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mACqcZZwG0k

Colonel Angus
05-17-2014, 05:45 AM
I already do this every day. It's called my job. The only difference is the lot of money thing.

Jiro
05-17-2014, 04:05 PM
I weep for your depraved teenagedoms.

Pike and I probably fall either side of you and your apparently glorious teen years. :ffviwag:

Spooniest
05-17-2014, 04:44 PM
AEKbFMvkLIc

Figured I'd post this here because some people have said they have not heard this song

Parker
05-17-2014, 06:55 PM
It would take roughly $12bn for me to willingly listen to a reel big fish song

Calliope
05-18-2014, 08:26 AM
I probably would - I go to work up to six days a week and work with imbeciles for minimum wage and no benefits, so it's apples and oranges to me at this point.

Pike
05-18-2014, 10:48 AM
It's a lovely scenario. I'd love to get paid loads of money to violate my principles. As it stands, I'm poor enough that I'll take anything resembling minimum wage to violate my ethics. :(

Good to know that you'll agree with everything Wolf Kanno says for minimum wage. At least I still have standards around here! :colbert:

LunarWeaver
05-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Fuck yes, give me my one million dollars. My morals are for sale. All of me is for sale, but nobody buys.

Quindiana Jones
05-22-2014, 03:24 PM
I would actually feel worse about giving somebody a million pounds to do something awful than I would about doing something awful for a million pounds.

Shiny
05-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Isn't this what many recording artists do? Katy Perry looking at you.

Dat Matt
05-22-2014, 09:19 PM
Do i need to sit on this?

http://i.imgur.com/A6nmz.jpg

Yellow_Magic
05-22-2014, 09:24 PM
I'll be working in an investment bank from September because I'm a giant fucking sell-out. So yeah.

Alive-Cat
05-22-2014, 10:49 PM
It would all depend if it affected anyone else. I could never cause someone else suffering just for the sake of having say a million pounds. In fact if I had a million pounds at hand I'd give it away if it meant preventing someone from suffering.

Although anything concerning me is fair game. I'd bathe in human poop daily if it meant I could have loads of money.