PDA

View Full Version : Chip off the old block

blackmage_nuke
05-16-2014, 03:25 PM
So I was watching StarWars Episode II and got to thinking. Say you had enough income to support a child and exact genetic human cloning became legal, available and affordable. You have no current life partner and can not imagine obtaining one in the forseeable future.

Would you get yourself a clone child?

What if you did have a life partner but were not able to breed with each other, would you be open to raising clones of yourselves?

How would you feel if you found out you were a clone of one of your parents?

Quindiana Jones
05-16-2014, 03:27 PM
If I found out today that I was a clone of my father, I would be very surprised that I didn't notice it sooner since I am a clone of my father.

I would totally clone myself and raise myself. Hell, I'd clone myself and donate me to random families from countries all over the world and discover all the possible mes that could have been.

Alive-Cat
05-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Perhaps we are all clones of eachother but our eyes will only see what we allow them to see, like raindrops on little cobblestones.

Jiro
05-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Yes. I want a clone of me right now. I know exactly what I need to do to make me into a much better version of me. Give me a couple clones and I can experiment to get even better results. I will create the best human beings. But do not give me a child that is not my exact genetic make up because I will ruin it and hate it. At least if I hate mini me then it is exactly the same as my current self loathing.

noxious.sunshine
05-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Yeahhhhhh IDK.

I wasn't an overtly -bad- kid. Just kinda muddled through my adolescent years and hid the fact that I was being bullied at the Christian school for 2 years & kind of just zoned out altogether afterwards.

IDK. My Parker acts pretty much exactly like me already except she's way smarter than I was at her age.

And it depends on like.. Would I be raising clone me the exact same way my parents did? Or would it be in a different environment (like the one I'm in now)? I mean, if I raised clone me, I wouldn't suddenly go get a CDL and drive a truck like my mom did.

Ayen
05-16-2014, 06:50 PM
I would create a clone army of myself and conquer the world.

Pumpkin
05-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Would I raise me? Absolutely and I will pay you so much money to do so because I have so much stuff I wish I could do for child Ashton.

A clone of me? Maybe. If someone was like "Here's your clone, raise her?" I would say yes, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make a clone of me.

blackmage_nuke
05-16-2014, 09:25 PM
I would totally clone myself and raise myself. Hell, I'd clone myself and donate me to random families from countries all over the world and discover all the possible mes that could have been.

Im pretty sure if cloning was openly available people wouldnt want or need to adopt clones of strangers unless theyre famous clones or theyre those foster parents that only care about tax rebates so most of your clone donations will grow up resenting you for abandoning them.

Anyway I'd totally raise a clone of myself if I didnt have a breeding partner, but that's because I dont think I'd meet anyone who'd be willing to donate an egg and I dont want to just choose an egg from a complete stranger.

Shorty
05-17-2014, 01:35 AM
Nah. It's great that we are working on the genetic power to do so (I guess?) but I think the beauty of nature is that beings are created in a random sort of jumble from characteristics of each of their parents.

Madame Adequate
05-17-2014, 03:50 AM
I wouldn't really care one way or another. Cloning is no different from making a babby the old fashioned way except that you'll hopefully know about genetic conditions in advance. I have no particular reason to clone myself and no particular reason not to, but given the probable costs with the former I'll stick with sticking it to her instead.

Would be a highly interesting study to take a significant number of clones, say several hundred, and place them in a variety of different circumstances at birth to see how they develop. Could answer a lot of questions about how people develop and what affects them.

Probably violates all kinds of ethics considerations, but science never got anywhere caring about what namby-pamby liberals say.

Jiro
05-17-2014, 05:06 AM
You could create your own mini Fallout universe.