PDA

View Full Version : Decide on the EoFF Highscore Challenge for June!

Dat Matt
05-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Greetings Nerds and Nerdettes!

So I've decided on the Highscore Challenge for June! With the upcoming release of Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U (Matt intensifies) the next Highscore challenge is going to be a Mario Kart Time trial contest. Players will be encouraged to submit time trial scores in order to acheive the fastest time. Here's the interesting part. I want all the details to be chosen by the players!

There will be a total of 3 polls over the next few days.

1. The game to play
2. The Course to race on
3. the Character to race as.

The vote above will decide the game that we'll race on, so feel free to get voting! Jinx had also suggested that future instalments should be suggested by players. I am up for this idea, so feel free to suggest games for future instalments of the High score ChallengeInb4 Jinx Says Tetris

Scotty_ffgamer
05-16-2014, 10:02 PM
I don't actually own any Mario Kart games (though, that is going to change with the new one for Wii U), but Mario Kart 64 would probably be the easiest for me to get a hold of. It's also my favorite of the Kart games I've played so far. I haven't played that many though.

As for future challenge ideas:
Galaga or Galaxian high score
Speed run of a FF game
Gradius
Helicopter Game

Jinx
05-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Another future game idea: Tetris

Dat Matt
05-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Another future game idea: Tetris

You should check that there full stop at the end of my first post Jinx. I left a hidden spoiler tag there just for you.

Jinx
05-16-2014, 10:15 PM
holy shit matthew you got me good

Dat Matt
05-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Truth betold, Tetris was one of the first ideas I had for the series. Issue was that I couldn't see any foreseeable "Ending point" in the standard runs. For example, someone could realistically play one really long game of tetris and get a stupid score. It's one of the gripes i had about the last challenge. I wanted to make the challenge shorter, but there was no point "i.e. highest score by world 2-1" that would be a good cut off. as it restricted people who wanted to use the warp pipes for example.

I like the idea of Mario Kart, because the races are short, it record a time and can be done in <5 minutes per run usually. I think we'll get a bit more participation for this one.

Dat Matt
05-18-2014, 10:44 AM
There seems to be a constant tie breaker between Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64. You kids sure like the retro

Here is was hoping for Mario kart Wii as well...

Shauna
05-18-2014, 11:44 AM
If you don't see more votes, you may have to make the decision! :3

Mirage
05-18-2014, 12:29 PM
I suggest one that can be emulated, so that as many as possible can join. Not everyone has a Wii, not everyone has a 3DS.

Dat Matt
05-18-2014, 12:52 PM
I had considered that, and the two easiest ones to emulate are Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64. I just wanted to offer the community the choice of all 7 if there was a great demand for Mario Kart Double Dash for example.

If we are still on a tiebreaker by friday, I'll make a call. Hopefully more people will vote by then though

Aulayna
05-18-2014, 12:55 PM
If I still had my gamecube I'd be all for Double Dash, loves me some Rainbow Road... one of the few courses I could actually beat the dev ghost kart on.

Dat Matt
05-18-2014, 02:03 PM
I seem to recall that you got Funky Kong on the Wii Version for beating x amount of Developers Time Trial scores. I made a point of beating them all.

For a spell of conversation (And to keep it so I don't need to keep bumping to thread xD) what is your favourite Mario Kart Game?

Pike
05-18-2014, 03:16 PM
My favorite is Mario Kart 64 but since I'll be emulating my vote goes to Super Mario Kart. Since I refuse to play a 64 game without a 64 controller!

Aulayna
05-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Double Dash! Mostly because it's the one I played the most, and also played the most with friends.

Oh and...

9Z2AK-X7emE

Chooooooon.

Do-do-do-do-doooooooooooo

Mirage
05-18-2014, 04:28 PM
gamecube can be emulated pretty easily, and so can wii, when i think about it. so double dash and the wii thingie is fine too maybe

Dat Matt
05-19-2014, 10:08 AM
I've never seen a gamecube emulator actually. I know of emulating stuff for the DS, GBA, Wii, SNES and N64, but not the gamecube of the 3DS.

The Man
05-19-2014, 10:12 AM
Dolphin can emulate both GameCube and Wii games, though I'm not sure how well.

Anyway my vote is for the original, which is self-serving for two reasons in that it's the easiest to emulate and in that it's the only one I've ever been any good at. Maybe this time I'll actually participate.

Dat Matt
05-19-2014, 12:48 PM
I like the notion of participating. More people that enter the better the competition.

I'm happy with whatever the community picks for the game. Following the end of the poll on Friday and I'll have two separate polls thereafter to choose the character and the course. SNES Mario Kart is actually pretty good for it, as it tells you the top 5 scores for the course, and the character that got that score.

Although if it was me deciding we'd totally be playing Mario kart Wii with Baby Daisy on N64 Sherbet land cause that's my favourite

Bubba
05-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Thinking about it... the Wii one would be my best choice but I'm happy with SMK or MK64.

Looking forward to this!

Dat Matt
05-21-2014, 09:05 AM
Seemed that only 3 games have been chosen, with Super Mario Kart running the lead. Voting closes in 2 days, will we see an upset and people actually playing Mario Kart Wii?

I can dream

Endless
05-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Seemed that only 3 games have been chosen, with Super Mario Kart running the lead. Voting closes in 2 days, will we see an upset and people actually playing Mario Kart Wii?

I can dream

I hope not. I grabbed the SMK roms and started practicing, the wii ones would force me to replug the wii to the tv and I don't have free electric outlets for it.

Dat Matt
05-21-2014, 05:42 PM
I've got Mario Kart on the Wii U Virtual console, so if that's the choice that's where I'll play it. Super Mario Kart is good, because all characters and stages are available to the player from the get go.

I'm debating whether to make a poll for all 20 courses in Super Mario Kart, or just to have a smaller pool of choices Like Mario Circuit 1 or rainbow road.

Endless
05-21-2014, 08:59 PM
I've got Mario Kart on the Wii U Virtual console, so if that's the choice that's where I'll play it. Super Mario Kart is good, because all characters and stages are available to the player from the get go.

You'll want to provide the cheat code to unlock special cup without golding mushroom/flower/star cups in 100cc then.

Dat Matt
05-21-2014, 09:00 PM
L R L R L L R R A while highlighted on the Mushroom Cup in time trial.

Already been there xD

Mirage
05-21-2014, 09:19 PM
I've never seen a gamecube emulator actually. I know of emulating stuff for the DS, GBA, Wii, SNES and N64, but not the gamecube of the 3DS.

The dolphin emulator was originally for gamecube, but it just so happened to work for Wii as well (although perhaps with a few changes), due to the two consoles being extremely similar, just with more juice in the Wii.

Endless
05-21-2014, 09:35 PM
L R L R L L R R A while highlighted on the Mushroom Cup in time trial.

Already been there xD

I meant when you make the thread. I already got gold since I was training.

Dat Matt
05-21-2014, 11:29 PM
Goodness, there's going to be some stiff comeptition again. I wonder if I should just close the poll just now seen as there is a clear lead for Super Mario kart and all. Also give me more time to prep for the actual event.

Bubba
05-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Yeah man, you may as well close it. No-one has voted in days.

Having all 20 tracks as options might be a bit too much. How about just having the first track in each of the different track types?

Mario Circuit 1
Donut Plains 1
Ghost Valley 1
Bowsers Castle 1
Choco Island 1
Koopa Beach 1
Vanilla Lake 1
Rainbow Road

Has all the different track types for options that way. Plus, with them being the first tracks of their kind they tend to be (other than Rainbow Road!) a little easier. That should make the times a lot more competitive.

Then you've got eight tracks to vote on and eight characters.

Just a suggestion though. Happy to vote on them all if we go down that road.

Dat Matt
05-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Stop reading my mind Bubba. That's pretty much what I had in mind xD

Pike
05-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Heck yes Rainbow Road. Such a good track in the original Super Mario Kart. Best music too.

kR7azqI6wik

Dat Matt
05-22-2014, 10:59 AM
I recently played rainbow road on Super Mario Kart. That track be hard xD. I'll close this poll and open up the new threads for Character and Track Selection.