PDA

View Full Version : Arrow

Ayen
05-17-2014, 12:22 AM
So, last Wednesday I finally sat down and watched a full episode of Arrow. It was the first time I sat down to watch TV in a long while, actually. I came out of it wondering why the hell wasn't I watching this series sooner? It was fantastic. I love the way they incorporated Deathstroke and the League of Shadows into the story. When it first came on I was convinced it was basically going to be Smallvile 2.0. Man, was I wrong.

BARROWMAN!

Discuss.

Del Murder
05-17-2014, 01:03 AM
Yep, Arrow is pretty great. Much darker than Smallville. In fact if you go back to watch season 1 you will find Oliver to be much more ruthless than he is now. Season 1 was good but the show really picked up in the latter half of season 2.

I really like the parallel timelines they have going where you see progression both in the present and during Oliver's time on the island. Sometimes the island stuff is more interesting than the present day. He was missing for five years so I assume he won't get rescued in this timeline until season 5. Should be interesting.

I also like the 'team Arrow' members (Oliver, Diggle, and Felicity) and how they play off each other. I was disappointed that Diggle didn't have a bigger role in season 2 but I do like Felicity getting an expanded role. I'm excited for the inevitable Flash cameos that will happen now that his show is coming.

My one gripe is that I don't like the actress they got to play Canary. She always has this weird puckered mouth and it annoys me. In fact I don't really like Laurel either. Smallville definitely had the hotter females. Even Chloe was more a of a babe than these chicks.

Ayen
05-17-2014, 01:06 AM
The jumping around confused me, but I have to give them kudos with how they did the Deathstroke fight scene.

Calliope
05-17-2014, 05:37 AM
I <3 Detective Lance x 100000000

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-17-2014, 05:44 AM
I haven't sat down and watched yet but as a John Barrowman fan i'm highly tempted to.

Mercen-X
05-18-2014, 08:26 AM
Actor Allusion plays strongly in Barrowman's character. Arrow "killed" him, but he didn't die.

Recent events have left me wondering who next season's "Monster of the Week" will be. (I'm stretching the definition to span a whole season.) At least with Thea's disappearance, Roy's participation on the team is pretty much set in stone whereas earlier there was some question left despite fans never truly thinking it wouldn't happen. Despite the nickname, most fans knew instinctively that Thea would not become Oliver's partner.

If the fanon assumption Isabel Rochev is Rose Wilson then there's no way death will hold otherwise the writers have taken a huge left turn. Of course, Slade didn't seem to react either time so either doesn't know or just too crazy to care or maybe They're really not related...

Personally, I find the cameo made by the off-camera Harley Quin voice to be one of the major highlights of season 2. We've seen a lot of characters so far and even a minor cameo by Barry Allen, which, as you know, was a lead-in to the Arrow spin-off series Flash. Though salt your expectations as some of the characters have been reimagined as smaller fish and at least one had been killed off shortly after learning his name.

Raistlin
05-18-2014, 03:27 PM
My one gripe is that I don't like the actress they got to play Canary. She always has this weird puckered mouth and it annoys me. In fact I don't really like Laurel either. Smallville definitely had the hotter females. Even Chloe was more a of a babe than these chicks.

Yeah, I don't like Canary or Laurel much either. The detective father is the only worthwhile bunch of that family. I was kinda happy Canary left. Felicity is great, though it is tough to get past her blatant fanservice.

I really liked season 1 of Arrow, where Oliver was more of an anti-hero. His progression towards more stereotypical superhero morality was inevitable, but I always enjoy a change of pace.

Del Murder
05-18-2014, 06:00 PM
Just watched the finale today. It was great. I agree that fight scene was well-choreographed. Loved the parallels between past and present.

The ending for the flashback timeline threw me for a loop! It will be interesting to see how this plays out next season.

OliverXFelicity 4 eva

Shorty
05-18-2014, 10:21 PM
I'll just leave this here.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10154470_650695838349020_2150513244783456734_n.jpg

Mercen-X
05-19-2014, 04:26 AM
The ending for the flashback timeline threw me for a loop! It will be interesting to see how this plays out next season.

Yeah, they couldn't do the island flashbacks indefinitely, but it felt jumpy how they suddenly went into... wherever they were. Oh! Hello Amanda.