PDA

View Full Version : AVALANCHE

Jinx
05-17-2014, 01:37 AM
Anyone know why this is all caps?

I like to imagine that Barret was emailing a terrorist threat to Shin-Ra and accidentally hit the capslock with this big ass gun hand and couldn't figure out how to turn it off, like a grandma who is using a computer for the first time. Marlene would've helped him out--because kids know all about computers--but she was serving at a bar because Tifa was out doing god knows what.

Ayen
05-17-2014, 01:48 AM
I never thought about it. According to some it's all caps because it's supposed to be an acronym. Of what I have no idea.

Colonel Angus
05-17-2014, 02:18 AM
All Vaginas Are Lovely And No Cocks Here Ever

Jiro
05-17-2014, 03:28 AM
I imagine it was just a way to identify it as an important term. SHINRA and SOLDIER are both all capped as well.

Skyblade
05-17-2014, 06:15 AM
I imagine it was just a way to identify it as an important term. SHINRA and SOLDIER are both all capped as well.

Shin-Ra actually isn't all caps in almost any of the places it appears.

And SOLDIER is an acronym. :D

Psychotic
05-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Everyone knows caps lock denotes shouting and Barret yells a lot. Can't you picture him bellowing "AVALAAAAAAAANCHE!" instead of just casually saying it?

Bubba
05-17-2014, 12:59 PM
They probably should have put all words in capitals to avoid confusion.

Jinx
05-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Everyone knows caps lock denotes shouting and Barret yells a lot. Can't you picture him bellowing "AVALAAAAAAAANCHE!" instead of just casually saying it?

King VERMIN!!

Jiro
05-17-2014, 02:43 PM

Shin-Ra actually isn't all caps in almost any of the places it appears.

And SOLDIER is an acronym. :D

Standing for what? It's a rubbish acronym.

Forgot that Shin-Ra is weird though. Still, it would make sense to have the two diametrically opposed groups of SOLDIER and AVALANCHE capped. Has more gravitas like that, too.

Skyblade
05-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Shinra Operational Light Defensive Infantry Elite Regiment

Jinx
05-17-2014, 03:13 PM

This is the dumbest acronym I've ever seen. It's like they just took words that kind of relate to the world 'soldier' and pushed 'em together hoping they'd make sense.

Skyblade
05-17-2014, 03:16 PM

This is the dumbest acronym I've ever seen. It's like they just took words that kind of relate to the world 'soldier' and pushed 'em together hoping they'd make sense.

They? Nah, that was something that I came up with back when FFVII first came out.

I was young and foolish, what can I say?

Jinx
05-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Oh, oops. Sorry. :lol:

Colonel Angus
05-17-2014, 05:56 PM
I thought it meant:

So Old Let's Die In Every Room

Parker
05-17-2014, 07:18 PM
it's a stylistic choice hth

Jiro
05-18-2014, 03:50 AM
As far as backronyms go, that goes alright, but I am glad I didn't miss anything :jess:

Mercen-X
05-18-2014, 09:51 AM

I've heard worse backronyms as created by the rl U.S. government... *sigh* I came up with a backronym for the word sword. I use it in my stories to define a group as being part of Strategies, Weapons, and ORganized Defenses.

Like HAMMER versus SHIELD, I think of AVALANCHE as just trying to match SOLDIER aesthetically while SOLDIER is likely an acronym... backronymed.