PDA

View Full Version : Jesus and friends

Jiro
05-17-2014, 02:48 AM
Discuss ideas regarding religion in the realm of Sedorra.

Kris Douglas, my human, made reference to gods of the sun and the sea. My feeling is that non-named, non-specific gods allow us to make references to gods of whatever we want without worrying too much about consistency.

But I think that the various races could have differences in religion. Jinx's Ursus Tala is a High Priestess, which clearly indicates a sense of spirituality. Perhaps the Ursus worship something different; if not a different sect of gods, then they have different primary gods. The Doban could worship gods of hearth and stone, for instance.

But having an institutionalised religion across Sedorra could be interesting. It would certainly be interesting it the church ran independently to our player characters; mayhaps it becomes slightly antagonistic at a point!

Discuss any ideas you have here.

Miss Mae
05-17-2014, 02:56 AM
I'm really interested in how religion works, because Cohen, my outworlder, was a High Priest in his world and religion was not only his life but very important in the lives of everyone there. How religion/spirituality/Gods works here is going to be of great interest to him.

Jiro
05-17-2014, 03:37 AM
Unless someone wants to specify later, I feel (from the perspective of my character - GMs, feel free to change things) that the Aelum view the Stars as gods themselves as they worship nature.

this is great :excited:

Agent Proto
05-17-2014, 03:47 AM
Each race should have their own religion, and then there could also be a fourth religion which is followed by all races, but with slightly less followers as the rest.

Loony BoB
05-17-2014, 02:51 PM
I like the idea of a Game of Thrones-esque set of Gods that are sort of background figures, while there are naturally fanatics that will idolise either one of them. Likewise, some could deny the existence of Gods altogether. I think whatever happens, Gods shouldn't be very obvious in this world - they should be theories rather than actual things that people interact with. So, no Gods speaking to our characters through firey bushes or anything. If there were actual Gods it would interfere a lot with the various worlds aspect, I think.

I hope some small faction starts worshipping Outworlders as Gods. Likewise, I hope there is an Outworlder or two that accepts this - for good or evil. ;)

Kossage
05-17-2014, 06:47 PM
We could even follow the idea that different peoples and races might actually worship the same gods but simply have different names for them, as well as inconsistent views of what this or that god is supposed to be about, sort of like what happened with Etruscan/Greek/Roman gods which ended up mixed during Roman Empire times IRL.

For instance, at tGA the Gods of Chaos, Healing and War among others had different names depending on which tribes referred to them although they had true names too which most people kept using. The snow elves, for instance, might call the God of War Gormin while humans would call him Nergal, or just War, and so on.

I like the idea of a Game of Thrones-esque set of Gods that are sort of background figures, while there are naturally fanatics that will idolise either one of them. Likewise, some could deny the existence of Gods altogether. I think whatever happens, Gods shouldn't be very obvious in this world - they should be theories rather than actual things that people interact with. So, no Gods speaking to our characters through firey bushes or anything. If there were actual Gods it would interfere a lot with the various worlds aspect, I think.

I approve of this. Leaving it a bit mysterious (at least for now) should provide some fascinating ideas to the story.

I hope some small faction starts worshipping Outworlders as Gods. Likewise, I hope there is an Outworlder or two that accepts this - for good or evil. ;)

We shall see. Haruko does come from a rather religious background (before stuff happened in her realm which eventually led her to Sedorra), so who knows what might happen if people start thinking she's a goddess, especially if they see shapeshifting. Interesting ideas, at any rate. ;)

Madonna
05-18-2014, 02:46 AM
What is the point of religion? To comfort people, and to offer guidance and explanation. As long as a religion can do that, they can be done to great effect.

Miss Mae
05-18-2014, 03:11 AM
So, no Gods speaking to our characters through firey bushes or anything. If there were actual Gods it would interfere a lot with the various worlds aspect, I think.
Cohen used to 'communicate' with the Gods in his own world, the way monks meditate to communicate with the Gods in this world, so if he ever discusses communicating with Gods it's from past experience. I like the idea that this might be something he misses in Sedorra - he can't seek guidance from a deity anymore, when it was such an important part of his life before. It will be interesting to see how that changes him.

Loony BoB
05-18-2014, 10:20 AM
I am loving all of the ideas presented thus far. :up:

Miss Mae
05-18-2014, 10:26 AM
If you read some of the most recent posts in the RP, Jinx and I have talked about our variations of Gods, basically as we have discussed so far in this thread. :jess:

Loony BoB
05-18-2014, 10:43 AM
I have! I've really been enjoying catching up with all the posts that popped up overnight. :D Character (and world) development is my bag.