PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite gaming console of all time?

Aulayna
05-17-2014, 10:42 PM
We all know PC is the real winner, even though they're not consoles someone will always try and be clever. So PCs aside - which console has been your favourite gaming platform all of time, and why?

Yellow_Magic
05-17-2014, 10:50 PM
I don't think any console has given me more joy than the Nintendo DS, largely due to the incredible game catalogue. Advance Wars, Ace Attorney, Pokemon, Advance Wars, Castlevania, Hotel Dusk, 999 and even niche RPGs like Infinite Space...can't really be beat IMO.

EDIT: welp, wrote Advance Wars twice. Actually I'll leave that typo there because I freaking love Advance Wars

The Man
05-17-2014, 10:51 PM
Super Nintendo, without question. A shocking number of my favourite games were released on that console.

blackmage_nuke
05-18-2014, 02:09 AM
I gotta say PS1. Not only does it have a lot of good games, it's got an uncensored port for most of my favourite SNES games which is great despite the loading times!

Del Murder
05-18-2014, 05:25 AM
SNES, though PS1 had a pretty solid lineup too. I wonder what the correlation is between a person's favorite console and the one they played the most in their early teens.

DS is the best handheld console I've played though. I really played the smurf out of that thing.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-18-2014, 05:40 AM
I'd almost say PS2 if I could count it's backwards compatibility. If not, I'd say PS1. It was really hard to pick, but I just had more games on the PS1 than most any other system when I was younger.

Colonel Angus
05-18-2014, 05:45 AM
NES

Pumpkin
05-18-2014, 05:47 AM
PS2

NeoCracker
05-18-2014, 06:22 AM
It's a damn hard choice between SNES and PS2, though PS2 edges it out due to Persona 3 and 4, Xenosaga, and Mana Khemia.

DS does have a strong place up their though. Just wish most of it's games I could play on my TV and not Hand held. :p

Pike
05-18-2014, 10:29 AM
I feel like Super Nintendo had, by far, the strongest game lineup of all the consoles I played. Game Boy Advance was a very good handheld partially by virtue of all those SNES ports.

SNES, though PS1 had a pretty solid lineup too. I wonder what the correlation is between a person's favorite console and the one they played the most in their early teens.

If I am remembering correctly N64 was what I was playing in my early teens. And I did love the heck out of the N64 but it can't touch the library of the SNES.

(I should also add that I can see the case for PS1/PS2 being winners here but I never played those very much :gator: so I cannot say)

Miss Mae
05-18-2014, 10:30 AM
I'd have to go with my compu... oh, okay. Well then. Umm... I've probably shown my PS2 the most love throughout the years, then.

maybee
05-18-2014, 10:35 AM
SNES

Due to Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger.

Mirage
05-18-2014, 12:30 PM
PS2, due to a good bunch of PS2 games, and full compatibility with every PS1 game that I love.

The Super Nintendo is a close second.

Mons
05-18-2014, 02:14 PM
Playstation 1

AssassinDX
05-18-2014, 03:14 PM
PS2. I put a silly amount of time into that console.

Raistlin
05-18-2014, 03:58 PM
The PS2 was the best console ever made. It had its own great library of games, and also full backwards compatibility with the PS1 (which had on its own perhaps the best library of any console ever). It was pretty much perfect.

SNES does certainly deserve an honorable mention.

escobert
05-19-2014, 05:31 AM
I would say the one I probably spent the most time on, had the most games for and really got the most enjoyment out of that wasn't a PC or Mac would be the PSone. There was a short time when I used that more than my PC. And that has never been the case in my life. It's the only Playstation I own anymore actually.

Sephex
05-19-2014, 05:50 AM
SNES for me. The most fun I ever had consistently was playing on that console.

Perducci
05-19-2014, 06:27 AM
PS2 wins due to having a decent catalog and also being able to play all PS1 games. If we're not counting backwards compatibility, then I'd have to go with PS1.

SNES and NDS both get honourable mentions, though.

Madame Adequate
05-19-2014, 06:53 AM
My favorite is easily the Dreamcast. It didn't have a tremendously expansive library, and it died before its time, but among the games it did have there are some eternal classics that I will always love.

I don't think there are many actually 'bad' consoles out there, or at least not once we passed the NES generation. The only ones I'd say are bad since the initial burst of consoles where everyone was trying to capitalize are the GameCube and the WiiU. I'm sure the former will incur significant scorn directed towards me, and I'm really not saying "bad" so much as "least good" because it had some really great games, but I'm deeply prejudiced against the controller because it's so painful for me to use and a lot of the games people love on that console just never did anything for me.

Ayen
05-19-2014, 07:22 AM
It's hard to choose. I really love the Nintendo 64, PS One and the PS2, but I'm gonna have to say the Sega Genesis. I just loved spending all day on that console.

NeoCracker
05-19-2014, 08:42 AM
As much as I enjoyed the hell out of some gamecube games, it really was a handful of excellent titles, and a lot of shit just not worth looking at.

It really doesn't compete with the volume of great titles of PS1, 2, SNES, PS3, and depending on what kind of games you like 360 (It beats out any of Microsofts systems pretty easily though.)

Same thing with the N64 really.

Bolivar
05-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Right now I'll say PS2 because of how redundantly diverse it's library was. I didn't even play that many RPGs that generation because there were just so many amazing things happening across so many genres. Well into the PS3 generation I was still trying to catch up on masterpieces from the PS2 gen.

If backwards compatibility counts, PS3 takes it. It had good games in its own right but I also played my PS1 and PS2 classics as my 60GB had native backwards compatibility. I also got a SNES emulator running on it back when the PS3 still supported Linux.

Bubba
05-19-2014, 03:42 PM
The Super Nintendo is streets ahead for me. This is without the Final Fantasy factor too as I never played any FF on the SNES. The library of games (and number of quality titles) was just incredible. Nintendo have always been a great maker of games but they had some particularly stand out titles in this era. Not to mention incredible third party contributions from Konami, Capcom and Acclaim amongst others.

I'm sure there is a massive element of nostalgia attached as I had my SNES since I was ten years old. The magic I experienced back then will never be matched, sadly. Being a grown-up sucks :cry:

escobert
05-20-2014, 03:47 AM
I don't think there are many actually 'bad' consoles out there, or at least not once we passed the NES generation. The only ones I'd say are bad since the initial burst of consoles where everyone was trying to capitalize are the GameCube and the WiiU. I'm sure the former will incur significant scorn directed towards me, and I'm really not saying "bad" so much as "least good" because it had some really great games, but I'm deeply prejudiced against the controller because it's so painful for me to use and a lot of the games people love on that console just never did anything for me.

all of the sega mutations sucked imo