PDA

View Full Version : The Tonberry Chef - Kilika Spiced Prawns

Night Fury
05-21-2014, 10:45 AM

Hello, hello people of Eyes on Final Fantasy. I am The Tonberry Chef. Yes, yes I know - you think Final Fantasy and cooking and you think of Quina. Well, did you know that I taught that long-tongued toad how to cook? I did! This little Tonberry has a few tricks up her sleeve... I'm here to inspire you one recipe at a time! I've spent years of my life traveling around the worlds of Final Fantasy and talking to it's inhabitants and learning all of their secrets. These secrets that I will now share with you!

From my travels to the beautiful Kilika, I learned that they like their spicy food there! I'm not surprised since the Temple of Kilika is home to Ifrit and his fiery wrath. Kilika is a pretty beachy place too, so they eat a lot of fresh seafood and fish. This recipe is inspired by the heat of Kilika. It is Spiced Prawns with Linguine, linguine pasta is not something you would really associate with Kilika, but it just goes so well with the sauce, and teamed with those beautiful fresh prawns... This dish is on fire!

Serves 2

Difficulty Rating
2.5 Chef's Knives

Ingredients
400g of cleaned, shelled Prawns.
1 tin of crushed tomatoes
1 white onion
3 cloves garlic
2 red chillies
1/2 cup of vegetable stock
Fresh baby spinach
Linguine pasta

Finely chop the onion and garlic, and add them to a hot pan with some oil and a dollop of butter. Let them sweat for a few minutes but don't allow them to burn. Keep them nice and moist in the pan and not too hot. While you're waiting, chop up one of the chillies and add it to the onions - seeds and all. Keep stirring so everything gets coated in the butter and the flavours start to combine.

Next tip the tomatoes into the pan to start the sauce and stir in the vegetable stock. Leave the sauce on a medium heat to cook through and reduce down. Keep tasting as it cooks to check the level of spice, I like things to be hot, hot, hot! So I will have added in the two chillies. Remember that you can add chilli in, but you can't take it out! So if you're unsure just keep adding it gradually!

While the sauce is reducing, start cooking your linguine (feel free to use spaghetti, I just prefer those nice ribbons of linguine coated in the silky sauce.) When the pasta is almost cooked and the sauce has reduced well, it is time to add the prawns. The prawns will not take long to cook in the sauce, so plop them all in and stir them through until they're coated and sinking down. To tell when prawns are cooked, just keep an eye on the colour change as they will go from being slightly translucent to being very plump and pink. They will quickly turn opaque and go firm. It is very easy to overcook prawns and an overcooked prawn can be quite tough and rubbery, but a well cooked prawn will be soft and melting - delicious!

Turn the heat off and drain the pasta, then pour that delicious sauce into the pasta. Now is the time to throw in a few handfuls of baby spinach, wilted spinach finishes this dish off well. Give it all a good stir, plate it up, and devour. Yum! Feel that heat!

Do try this recipe, and let me know how it went for you in the comments below! I will be back soon with more recipes for you to try!

Coming soon:
Nibelheim Pulled Pork
Moogle Cupcakes

Night Fury
05-21-2014, 12:36 PM
You could substitute them for some fish or even chicken! In fact I've had this sauce and pasta without the prawns and it's still delicious! :)

Psychotic
05-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Holy trout, this sounds fantastic, Locky.Who is Locky? I only see the Tonberry Chef :colbert:

Tonberry Chef, as a general question, do you prefer linguine or spaghetti? I can see you prefer the former for this recipe but what about both to cook with and to eat?

Also I have the biggest sweet tooth so I am looking forward to the Moogle Cupcakes.

Loony BoB
05-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Oh man, I love a good linguine. That looks great. I don't like shrimp either but would linguine + sauce = all good.

Quindiana Jones
05-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Read "linguine" as "lingerie", and that question seemed completely inane, at first. :/

Loony BoB
05-22-2014, 10:43 AM
Oh man, I love a good lingerie. That looks great. I don't like shrimp either but would lingerie + sauce = all good.

Shorty
05-22-2014, 04:57 PM
I first read this as "Killa Spiced Prawns". Looks delicious!

noxious.sunshine
05-23-2014, 08:33 AM
Huh. This is a thing now? Interesting.

What -kind- of red chilies does this call for? There are several types- there's red jalepeno, red serrano, red fresno, red bell pepper, red cascabel, dried red guajillo, dried chiles de arbol & a ton of other red chiles.

And what size tin of tomatoes? There's the smaller sized that are around 8 oz, and then there's the large ones that are about 15 oz.

Quindiana Jones
05-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Red peppers are peppers, not chillis. :colbert:

Night Fury
05-23-2014, 02:54 PM
I use the smaller 8oz cans, noxious.sunshine. And by red chilli, I mean the stock standard red chilli. After a brief spot of googling, I have discovered their true name.... CAYENNE! They are nothing special and are the most common in most shops. Feel free to use a chilli you prefer though!

And, Psychotic - overall I do love a linguine or fettuccine. They work so well with being mixed into sauces like this. Spaghetti is just to thin for me now, while it does have it's own charm too, I suppose!

noxious.sunshine
05-23-2014, 03:09 PM
bell peppers are still part of the chile family, even tho they're not spicy. :P They're even on the Scoville scale.