PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever done a challenge run of FFVII?

metagloria
05-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Topic.

I've done a no materia run, which is surprisingly simple with sufficient leveling up. I would never do a speed run, because I like grinding too much! But I have considered no materia + initial equipment.

Sephiroth
05-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Perfection Challenge (99 Vagriskclaws legit included)
Enemy Skill/Manipulate for Enemy Skill only run

VeloZer0
05-22-2014, 06:20 PM
I usually am not a fan of 'challenge' runs in games. Generally they involve removing a lot of the core game-play elements and I just don't find it fun anymore. Though I will often place parameters on play-thoughs, like 'don't use x', to get me away from my usual play-style and start mixing it up.

Though there was this one time I accepted the challenge to beat the game without eating or sleeping. (I had to argue vigorously for the ability to take bathroom breaks.)

Shauna
05-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Nah, I just like playing the game. Too many games to play to waste my time with challenge runs of games I've already finished.

metagloria
05-22-2014, 06:35 PM
I don't really like challenge runs either, and would only consider it for games I really love and know well. The only other game I've done something similar is a solo Vaan game of XII, which was a lot of fun. I kept a notebook documenting it!

Colonel Angus
05-22-2014, 11:52 PM
I've never considered doing one for this game. I think games like V lend themselves better to challenges, @ least job related.

I think a good one would be, once acquired, you only can use the goofy weapons.

Skyblade
05-23-2014, 12:51 AM
I don't do challenge runs in general. The closest I've ever gotten, in any RPG, was a run I did of Golden Sun: The Lost Age on a used cart, where I was finishing the game with the save file that was already on it at the time I got it (including beating the boss that apparently made the previous own rage quit). I could see doing that sort of thing with FFVII, grabbing other people's save files halfway through and seeing if I could beat the game with them (with no extra grinding).

maybee
05-23-2014, 11:20 AM
No materia

Though stopped due to fights/ battles and leveling up getting too dull.

Perducci
05-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Started an initial equipment run a while ago and I think I got to Golden Saucer before eventually giving up.

Next time I play I'm hoping to try out an Enemy Skill/Manipulate only run but after picking up a few skills I can see it getting ridiculously easy...

Ayen
05-25-2014, 01:01 PM
I never interested in challenges.

Dat Matt
05-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I don't see the point behind needless limiting yourself in games. I would run through an old game again to relive the experience, rather than to challenge myself at playing the game.

Sephiroth
05-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Next time I play I'm hoping to try out an Enemy Skill/Manipulate only run but after picking up a few skills I can see it getting ridiculously easy...

Really? Then I'd love to see your Ruby and Emerald WEAPON video in a run. You will see, even if it is easy for you first, at least then it will be a true challenge.

Carl the Llama
05-25-2014, 03:18 PM
I've never considered doing one for this game. I think games like V lend themselves better to challenges, @ least job related.

I think a good one would be, once acquired, you only can use the goofy weapons.

I have done that, it was surprisingly easy, while they don't have any materia slots, they are fairly powerful.

sonormatt
06-23-2014, 06:37 PM
For those who have done the speed run, what's the lowest level you've finished the game at?

Sephex
06-26-2014, 09:46 PM
As of now, I don't plan on doing a challenge. I just don't feel like it. Old members here who remember edczxcvbnm might find it amusing that he did do a low level challenge in a way. I think he said he fought only bosses or something. He beat the game, I think. This was many years ago.

Christmas
06-27-2014, 01:17 AM
The revive Aeris challenge. :bigsmile:

Never succeeded though. :(

Sephex
06-27-2014, 01:57 AM
The revive Aeris challenge. :bigsmile:

Never succeeded though. :(

At least you took a stab at it.

Jinx
06-27-2014, 03:23 AM
The thing about this game is that I think it's challenging enough without any self-imposed challenges. Not hard, mind you, just there's enough to do and it's involved enough that basic gameplay should be enough to keep you busy.