PDA

View Full Version : Question about Dragon Quest

Pumpkin
05-22-2014, 07:10 PM
Are the games related or is it like the Final Fantasy series?

Del Murder
05-22-2014, 07:58 PM
Some of the earlier ones are related in that they take place in the same world and there are references to places and historical people but they aren't direct sequels or anything like that.

Bolivar
05-23-2014, 01:49 AM
Pretty much what Del said. I haven't played the first three, but they're apparently connected by the lineage of a central character. Dragon Quest IV-VI are loosely connected by the theme of a sky castle and dragon god, but the stories and settings are for the most part unrelated.

I hope you're considering jumping in to the series shion!!!

Pumpkin
05-23-2014, 03:31 AM
I'm playing V now :D

Mercen-X
05-23-2014, 07:59 AM
I own and have only ever played VIII. It is the only one that has been or ever will be of any interest to me... unless they release another one exactly like it. lol

Spuuky
05-29-2014, 07:45 AM
They are like Final Fantasy in that regard.

Also 5 is the best one, except 4 which is also the best one. They are both the best one.

I love all of them, though, and yearn for more real main games in the series.

Wolf Kanno
05-30-2014, 02:36 AM
Pretty much what Bolivar and Del have said. The first three games are directly connected and deal with the story or Loto/Roto and his descendants. IV through VI are also loosely connected though it was not necessarily intentional, they all share the same mythology of the Sky Dragon and Sky Castle along with all three games sharing the same Hero armor set. Amusingly enough, if you were to view them chronologically they match up how the Loto Arc is done as well with the sixth entry being a prequel to the fourth and fifth games.

VII- X are completely unconnected. Though IX does have some cool challenge dungeons that allow you to fight all of the series previous bosses and get armor and gear that allow you to dress your character up like characters from previous games.

Freya
06-03-2014, 01:12 AM
Yeah, they are just another independent series that doesn't get enough love :(