PDA

View Full Version : X-Men

Colonel Angus
05-23-2014, 01:58 AM
Anyone going to see Days of Future Past?

For me X-Men movies have been OK. The last two were good (actually, I thought The Wolverine was great), so I have pretty high hopes for this. I just hope they don't trout on a character like they did w/ Deadpool @ the end of Origins.

Newmani
05-23-2014, 02:03 AM
I'm.... not sure. The first X-Men movie was ok. Second? Also ok. Third? Complete letdown, totally sucked (curse you people who can't do Dark Phoenix right! :argh:) First Wolverine movie? Eh, it made Gambit look awesome so it gets props for that. X-Men First Class? Holy crap it was awesome. The Wolverine? I'm tired of Wolverine, put somebody else up for a change. :(

And now this? I have no idea. Probably won't get to see it until it comes out on Blu-ray cause we're poor and can't afford to go to the theater that often, and we're saving up for the third Hobbit movie. I hope it's not an X-Men movie that mainly focuses on Wolverine and totally forgets about the rest of the cast.

Ayen
05-23-2014, 05:28 AM
I'm going to see it with the family next Friday. I didn't care for The Wolverine all that much, but overall the movies have gotten better since First Class. I look forward to see what they do with Days of Future Past and their plans for Apocalypse in 2016.

Also, Peter f'n Dinklage!

LOL! They just played the trailer after my posting this.

Shorty
05-23-2014, 06:16 AM
I consider these X-Men reboots totally different from the movies they first began producing in the earlier 2000's. The first one was alright, the second wasn't, and I didn't see anything after that until the first reboot. It was fucking beautiful and amazing, and I've been waiting for Days of Future Past for a long time. Will definitely be seeing it, can't wait!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-23-2014, 07:39 AM
I just saw the day early release for Days of Future Past. That movie was fantastic! I love all the X-Men movies. I haven't sat and watched the Wolverine side movies all the way through, so I want to do that soon.

The thing that got me with the title of X-Men Origins: Wolverine is I thought that the Origins title would lead to other stories. X-Men Origins: Cyclops anyone? That would be great.

One thing I kept thinking throughout the movie is I really want Hank's glasses.

It was so awesome seeing Scott and Jean again! One thing I wondered throughout the movie was when it actually took place. The future part of it. How was Xavier still alive? Also, I wonder who that was building the pyramid after the credits rolled? Guess I should google these things.

Newmani
05-23-2014, 08:02 AM
I just saw the day early release for Days of Future Past. That movie was fantastic! I love all the X-Men movies. I haven't sat and watched the Wolverine side movies all the way through, so I want to do that soon.

The thing that got me with the title of X-Men Origins: Wolverine is I thought that the Origins title would lead to other stories. X-Men Origins: Cyclops anyone? That would be great.

I think that was the original plan but they scrapped it, since it kinda contradicted continuity a bit. Indeed, nothing is constant in the X-Men movie universe except the undeniable fact that nobody can do Phoenix right. I mean the 90's cartoon got it right, and it was freaking spectacular. Why can't we get THAT part right? T^T

Aulayna
05-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Saw this last night. From the trailers I thought it was either going to be terrible, or amazing. X-Men movies have been a hit and miss in the past, but this one was fantastic - I enjoyed every second of it.

Del Murder
05-23-2014, 05:21 PM
X-Men 1 was fine. X-Men 2 was fantastic. X-Men 3 was one of the worst films ever. First Class was pretty good, somewhere between 1 and 2. I'm excited for Days of Future Past because I'm hoping they retcon the entire third movie using some kind of time travel magic. Now I just need a babysitter...

Colonel Angus
05-23-2014, 10:34 PM
I'm so jacked to see this! :omgomg:

Mercen-X
05-24-2014, 03:52 AM
Jack Duff

DMKA
05-24-2014, 03:57 AM
I saw Days of Future Past tonight. It was great! I really loved how they managed to get all the old actors from the first two X-Men films to reprise their roles and how it was overall a very solid super hero flick.

I'm excited for Days of Future Past because I'm hoping they retcon the entire third movie using some kind of time travel magic.
You won't be disappointed.

Night Fury
05-24-2014, 04:29 AM
I really, really enjoyed this. It was very funny in parts too! Nicolas Hoult does such a lovely job as young Hank, as do Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy. They certainly have great chemistry on screen.

Ayen
05-24-2014, 07:08 AM
I'm excited for Days of Future Past because I'm hoping they retcon the entire third movie using some kind of time travel magic.
You won't be disappointed.

Dare I to hope? Dare I to dream?

Depression Moon
05-24-2014, 04:29 PM
I actually think that all of them fall into mediocre except for origins which was just bad. What I don't like about them is they don't stay true to the essence of a bunch of characters and putting actors in certain roles just because she is popular. The juvenile antics and romance in X-men First bothered me a bit, but I was still able to enjoy the movie. With all the liberties they take with characters I can see why the core crowd hates the movies.

Shorty
05-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Origins was great, the rest are all mediocre :(

Alive-Cat
05-24-2014, 06:00 PM
I like it when the sharp fingers come out of the wolf man's knuckles

Depression Moon
05-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Came back from watching Days of Future Past. It seemed to stay true the most out of all these films and I can't think of anything that bugged me with this one. Blink's powers were fucking dope in this! I still thought Quicksilver and the 70s sentinels looked lame.

Colonel Angus
05-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Just got home from seeing this.

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

I think I have a new favorite X-Men movie. Love it! LOVED. IT. :love:

Big D
05-25-2014, 12:51 AM
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

I think I have a new favorite X-Men movie. Love it! LOVED. IT. :love:This sums it up for me. Great film, a nice intertwining and redefining of the 'old' and 'new' movie universes, and it opens up a raft of possibilities for future installments. I won't say much more for fear of venturing into spoiler territory, but I will mention a couple of things I felt were pretty unique about this movie:

1) Kill the bad guy to save the world!

Unlike virtually every other action movie ever, the entire point of the plot is to *avoid* killing the antagonist, on the basis that the escalation of violence would only end badly. Good idea, and it meant that the story had to play out in new and interesting ways.

2) Peter Dinklage as Dr Trask

His height isn't a plot point, nor is it a running gag, or his motivation, or a hint that he's secretly a self-hating mutant or something. I don't think I've ever seen another film or TV show with a little person in the cast, where the script did not feel compelled to keep reminding us that OMG HAY GUISE DID U NOTICE HE ISN'T BIG!?!?! Days of Future Past was commendably mature in this respect. Also, Mr Dinklage was brilliant in the part and had a crap-ton of gravitas and presence.

Ayen
05-25-2014, 01:53 AM
I get why comic book fans wouldn't like the movies. I didn't either at first. Over time I managed to see them as their own entity (there's a crapton of alternate universes in comics so why not?) and I manage to enjoy them better. Doesn't speak well for how true they stay to the source material, but there you go. I thought 1 and 2 were good. 3 would have been better if they didn't try to be two movies in one. Both Wolverine movies sucked. First Class was great.

X-Men: Phoenix Saga, please. kthx

2) Peter Dinklage as Dr Trask

His height isn't a plot point, nor is it a running gag, or his motivation, or a hint that he's secretly a self-hating mutant or something. I don't think I've ever seen another film or TV show with a little person in the cast, where the script did not feel compelled to keep reminding us that OMG HAY GUISE DID U NOTICE HE ISN'T BIG!?!?! Days of Future Past was commendably mature in this respect. Also, Mr Dinklage was brilliant in the part and had a crap-ton of gravitas and presence.

This pleases me.

Shiny
05-25-2014, 11:05 PM
Saw this last night. It was really really good. The only thing that saddens me is that the awesome Quicksilver we see in this film isn't going to be the same one in Avengers 2. Anyway, this was the best X-Men.

Perducci
05-25-2014, 11:38 PM
I was surprised at how well they handled Quicksilver. Aaron Taylor-Johnson has a lot to live up to when he plays Quicksilver in Avengers 2.

Dinklage was great, as was most of the cast. Loved the Kelsey Grammer cameo at the end. I hated The Last Stand with a passion, but Grammer as Beast was one of the best casting decisions of the franchise.

I'm a huge fan of the comics so whenever one of these movies is released I usually pick it to pieces and end up hating it, but I quite liked First Class and even though I wasn't expecting much, DoFP surprised me. Loved it and I'm excited to see where the franchise goes now that it doesn't have so much baggage. Hopefully they keep up the quality with X-Men: Apocalypse. Aside from them casting Channing Tatum as Gambit, I have so much hype.

Drift
05-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Saw this over the weekend, it was a good X-men movie but I don't know, it left me feeling like there was a hole somewhere. As much as I enjoyed it all being in the past, I think having more in the future would've been good too. I just feel half and half about it.

Post credits scene was good.

Shiny
05-28-2014, 01:25 AM
Discussed this film today with a few of my co-workers and a good point was brought up, why does everyone else look exactly the same in the future? Iceman looks the same yet he doesn't have the same non-aging immortality powers that Wolverine has. I'm guessing it's not that far in to the future then? :confused:

Colonel Angus
05-28-2014, 01:38 AM
Discussed this film today with a few of my co-workers and a good point was brought up, why does everyone else look exactly the same in the future? Iceman looks the same yet he doesn't have the same non-aging immortality powers that Wolverine has. I'm guessing it's not that far in to the future then? :confused:
The future part was 2023, so it's really not too far into the future.

Formalhaut
05-28-2014, 03:08 PM
I couldn't help but keep feeling sorry for the new cast though, as they kept getting killed in sometimes horrific ways.

I was introduced into the X-Men films literally a week ago. My boyfriend wanted me to watch Days of Future Past with him in the cinema, but I haven't seen a single film. Because of this, he made me watch the two most pertinent films in quite a short space of time: The first X-Men film, just to give me a grounding, and then X-Men: First Class, as DoFP is sort of a sequel of that and introduces me to the past versions of some characters.

I still haven't seen X-Men 2, X-Men 3 and the two Wolverine Films, but I've been filled in on the highlights of the remaining two films in the original trilogy. I have to say, I'm not really into superhero type movies but I'm pretty impressed with the three films I've seen from the series. I hear X-Men 3 is terrible though, so I may just avoid that.

Lastly, anyone else think that Hank is pretty hot?

Del Murder
05-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Saw it yesterday. Dragged the twins out to the drive in just to see this movie. I was not disappointed. It was pretty good. Not better than X2 or First Class, but still pretty good (X2 is still the best X-Men movie). It was really cool to see the future X-Men fight it out with old favorites like Storm, Iceman and Colossus along with new faces like Kitty Pryde and Psylocke. I wish the movie had more of the future in it rather than taking place mostly in the past.

While the movie was good, there were some big flaws:

1. Lack of mutants. It was great to see a full X-Men team going at it in the future, but where were the mutants in the past? Other than the obvious quartet of Xavier/Magneto/Wolverine/Mystique, the only other X-Men was Beast and the only other mutant was Quicksilver and he was only in it for one part. First Class had a nice array of mutants both good and bad and it was pretty dumb that it was just briefly mentioned that they all died! Even Banshee :(. There was a brief cameo at the start with the soldiers but they weren't really a part of the film. I would have liked to see more mutants involved in the final action scene rather than just Beast and Wolverine. They're great and all but even they can't take down 8 sentinels on their own.

2. Magneto's character. Magneto has always been a little crazy in his ideals, but he was inconsistent in this movie and went waaay off the deep end. In the beginning, he was perfectly willing to kill Mystique to prevent the war, which is already against his character because he would never sacrifice a mutant to preserve the relationship with humans. Then, he does a complete 180 and decides to drop RFK stadium on top of the White House and murder the president and his cabinet in front of everyone. It's almost like we saw two extremes of Magneto's personality without any sense of transition. Also, it makes sense that Charles would believe Wolverine is from the past pretty easily but I don't know why Magneto bought into it so quickly, especially since it was leading down the path of murdering a mutant he shares ideals with.

3. Mystique changing into her real self at inopportune times. Hello? If you are going to infiltrate Trask's office then why would you change back to your blue self once you are in there? And if you are going to assassinate a guy, why make sure everyone sees you are a mutant after you kill him? Are you trying to get caught? Makes no sense.

But obviously the best part was that they retconned the entire third movie which is what I've wanted this entire time. Now only poor Wolverine has to remember that atrocity. If this movie did nothing else, doing that made it worthwhile. Dinklage as Trask was great too.

It was so awesome seeing Scott and Jean again! One thing I wondered throughout the movie was when it actually took place. The future part of it. How was Xavier still alive? Also, I wonder who that was building the pyramid after the credits rolled? Guess I should google these things.
That was Apocalypse. The four horsemen in the background gave it away for me.

Shiny
05-28-2014, 11:24 PM
Mystique changing bothered me too and her CGI body was distracting. I also didn't like how flighty Magneto was. He had just professed how much he missed Mystique and then moments later tried to kill her. Seriously, what in the hell? Everything else was awesome though. No issues here. Xmen 2 might still be the best, I'll have to watch it again, but it was definitely better than First Class which I thought was a bit of a well-acted borefest.

Depression Moon
05-28-2014, 11:28 PM
I couldn't help but keep feeling sorry for the new cast though, as they kept getting killed in sometimes horrific ways.
I have to say, I'm not really into superhero type movies but I'm pretty impressed with the three films I've seen from the series. I hear X-Men 3 is terrible though, so I may just avoid that.

Lastly, anyone else think that Hank is pretty hot?

I really wouldn't call the X-Men superheroes though. They're more like activists if anything.

Saw it yesterday. Dragged the twins out to the drive in just to see this movie.
Drive-Ins still exist?

Colonel Angus
05-28-2014, 11:51 PM
I bought the first two X-Men movies today for $5 each. For some reason, they were out of the 3rd one. :lol: I'll try to find that @ another store. Next week I plan on watching all of these again to refresh my memory.

I really don't remember X-3 being terrible. I do remember liking the other two a bit more, but I think this is a case of haters running amuck.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
05-28-2014, 11:59 PM
Since all of you seem so upset about it, I will justify Magneto's flightyness. Seriously, it isn't terribly out of character considering he has been in solitary confinement underneath the Pentagon for likely 10 years. The dude isn't going to be right in the head after that.

Seriously.

And Mystique's thing, I totally get. Her whole big thing in First Class was that she didn't want to hide who she was. She is more comfortable being blue her and only is in disguise when necessary. When reading about the sentinels and how they were going to kill mutants, I'm sure she was overwhelmed with emotion and more comfortable as herself.

In other news.
I enjoyed this movie so much. Much much enjoyment. Also stoked for Apocalypse to come.

Wolf Kanno
05-29-2014, 02:08 AM
I plan on watching this soon, can't say I've been happy with any of the films though. The first film was an okay attempt the second movie was pretty good even if it kind of felt like it should have been the first Wolverine film, the third film is absolutely terrible and I really wish X-men writers could get over the Dark Phoenix storyline. The first Wolverine film is both bad and good, I have yet to see it's sequel and I didn't particularly care for X-Men: First Class. My issue here is that Days of the Future Past is actually one of my favorite X-Men stories so while I understand it has to stick to the films wanky canon (not the the books are better about this) I do have some high hopes for it, especially since we finally get to see some Sentinels.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-29-2014, 02:28 AM
Wow, a lot of people didn't like X3.

I feel differently. I enjoyed it. Then again, it might be because it had a lot of Jean Grey screen time and I really like Famke Janssen.

black orb
05-29-2014, 02:38 AM
Anyone going to see Days of Future Past?

>>> I never liked the X-Men or Wolverine movies..
This new one I think is going to be the worst, I also heard it was one of the most expensive movies ever. After I saw the lame trailer I said to myself: "where all that money went?"..:luca:

Miriel
05-29-2014, 06:05 AM
Saw it yesterday. Dragged the twins out to the drive in just to see this movie.
Drive-Ins still exist?
Yes and they are awesome!

Liked the movie, but didn't love it like I loved First Class or X-2. Fassbender was less sexy in this one versus how smokin' he was in First Class and that's kind of a big deal for me. Loved the bits with Quicksilver and I liked all the cameos we saw at the end. And the action sequences in the beginning were rad. Super well done.

Shaibana
05-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Fassbender was less sexy in this one versus how smokin' he was in First Class and that's kind of a big deal for me.

o yeah, eye candy Fassbender

i really enjoyed this movie, eventhough i missed Stan Lee and this time we didnt sit for the scene after the credits

Colonel Angus
05-31-2014, 04:57 AM
Stan Lee didn't do a cameo in DoFP, nor did he for 1st Class.

Shaibana
05-31-2014, 10:41 AM

thats a shame :( i thought he did that in every marvel movie :o

Colonel Angus
05-31-2014, 03:27 PM

thats a shame :( i thought he did that in every marvel movie :o
I know he didn't do it for 1st Class because they filmed outside of the US, I think it was Australia or New Zealand. DoFP filmed in Canada, so it must be a passport/police warrant issue w/ him.

Del Murder
05-31-2014, 05:43 PM
Police warrant? Stan Lee is wanted in Canada?

Wolf Kanno
05-31-2014, 06:14 PM
He didn't do one for The Wolverine either. He is allegedly scheduled to do one for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Del Murder
05-31-2014, 06:20 PM
It might have something to do with the rights for X-Men characters being in Fox studios rather than Marvel studios.

Wolf Kanno
05-31-2014, 06:34 PM
He still showed up for Amazing Spider-Man, so I don't think it is due to legal issues. The man is 91 years old and in high demand for conventions and cameos in other films and TV shows, I'm guessing it was all due to scheduling or health issues.

Colonel Angus
06-01-2014, 02:29 AM
Watching the first movie right now. I'm going to try to watch all of them again while on vacation.

Fonzie
06-01-2014, 03:39 AM
They did a terrific job and the excellent acting from Michael Fassbender along with the others really stood out. Singer retconned the majority of the earlier movies in such an appropriate way in this film that stood out and made sense with the series logic.

I'd give it a bag of popcorn, a rootbeer, and a stick of gum. :)

Raistlin
06-01-2014, 03:57 AM
I have to agree with Del that the best part of DoFP is that it retconned X3 out of existence. I really wanted to like X3, because unlike WK I love the Phoenix storylines, but the writing was awful. It's a shame, because there were moments of that film that I actually liked.

It was good and entertaining, but not as good as X2, First Class, or even X1 in my opinion.

One thing I wondered throughout the movie was when it actually took place. The future part of it. How was Xavier still alive?

I didn't see anyone answer this, so: IIRC, the post-credit scene of X3 involves seeing Moira MacTaggert talking to what is presumably Xavier covered in bandages.

Rostum
06-01-2014, 07:33 AM
I quite enjoyed the latest X-Man movie. Kind of feeling like watching all the others again now.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-01-2014, 07:52 AM
I didn't see anyone answer this, so: IIRC, the post-credit scene of X3 involves seeing Moira MacTaggert talking to what is presumably Xavier covered in bandages.

Ah, I must have missed that part or forgot about it, which is weird because I usually stick around for things like that.

Thanks for answering :up:

Ayen
06-01-2014, 10:53 AM
I enjoyed it a lot and don't see the complaints about Magneto. The guy has always been willing to go through great lengths to ensure the survival of the mutant race.

I liked how they used time travel to retcon past mistakes and that they acknowledged things I was afraid they were just going to mull over. Quicksilver was AWESOME in this and I love the way they portrayed his powers. Like Shiny, I'm saddened this Quicksilver won't be in the Avengers 2 movie. Definitely looking forward to the next one in 2016.

Shaibana
06-01-2014, 03:05 PM
i demand more Quicksilver!!

Sefie1999AD
06-01-2014, 04:38 PM
I watched the movie this Tuesday, and it was definitely a great and a thrilling movie. Too bad I was somewhat ill that day, which reduced some of the enjoyment. :/ I'd probably have to watch the movie again to make sure the time travelling doesn't leave any major plot holes. For example, isn't it a time paradox that the bleak future was erased? Now Wolverine no longer needs to go to the past to save the future, so he never went there etc. Also, when Wolverine returned to his own body in the 2020's, did the character and memories of the "altered timeline Wolverine" get erased completely, as Wolverine had no idea what had happened after the future had changed? Finally, what happened to Stryker? Mystique was disguised as him, and Wolverine was given to her. The Alkali Lake events caused by Stryker had also been erased since Jean was alive in the end. Too bad Rogue was taken out of the movie except for one brief cameo in the end. I heard there are several deleted scenes with her. Hopefully those scenes will be included in the DVD bonus materials. :) Oh, and Quicksilver owned. :D

I have to agree with Del that the best part of DoFP is that it retconned X3 out of existence. I really wanted to like X3, because unlike WK I love the Phoenix storylines, but the writing was awful. It's a shame, because there were moments of that film that I actually liked.

It was good and entertaining, but not as good as X2, First Class, or even X1 in my opinion.

One thing I wondered throughout the movie was when it actually took place. The future part of it. How was Xavier still alive?

I also liked the retcon part. Technically X2 was also taken out of existence since Jean was alive in the end.

As for Xavier being alive in DoFP, it was somewhat explained in X3, but not accurately. When Phoenix erased Xavier's body, he moved his mind inside the body of a comatose patient. There's a post-credit scene in X3 where the comatose patient awakens, and Moira realizes that it's actually Xavier. However, there was no explanation given to how Xavier got his own body back.

Colonel Angus
06-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Sephiroth,

Logan is the only one who remembers the bleak future. Kittay Pryde even tells him that he'd be the only one who ever remembers the now non-existent future. I guess he retains the memory, even if the time ended up not existing any longer, because he still experienced it. It's just nobody else ended up doing so.

Colonel Angus
06-02-2014, 12:15 AM
Going to watch X-2 now.

If you could create sort of an all-star team of X-Men, which X-Men (excluding Xavier, who for me is automatic in any X-Men group) would you choose? They could be from any "X" group (including New Mutants) & any era. Mine are-

1. Wolverine (80s brown/gold costume)
2. Storm (80s mohawk- team captain)
3. Nightcrawler
4. Jubilee
5. Gambit
6. Rogue
7. Jean Grey (Marvel Girl)
8. Psylocke

Perducci
06-02-2014, 09:24 PM
Going to watch X-2 now.

If you could create sort of an all-star team of X-Men, which X-Men (excluding Xavier, who for me is automatic in any X-Men group) would you choose? They could be from any "X" group (including New Mutants) & any era. Mine are-

I've thought about this a lot since watching the new movie. Too hard to pick, but if I had to, I wouldn't mind seeing:

Cyclops (Team Leader)
Iceman
Pixie
Gambit
Armor
Colossus
Shadowcat

Gambits probably my favourite. The others are just characters I'm liking at the moment. This list could probably change weekly, to be honest.

Depression Moon
06-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Going to watch X-2 now.

For a mission? I'd pick these op ducks

1. Jean Grey
2. Wolverine
3. Iceman
4. Storm
5. Blink
6. Juggernaut
7. Polaris
8. Rogue

Wolf Kanno
06-02-2014, 11:29 PM
I will forever be partial to the Jim Lee era of X-Men, easily the most iconic line up.

Ayen
06-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Wolf Kanno knows what's up.

Colonel Angus
06-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Those are the X-Men I grew up w/.:D

Perducci & D. Moon came up w/ some great teams, too.

Perducci
06-05-2014, 01:09 AM
Just don't read Chris Claremont's X-Men Forever. It goes back and continues on from the run he had with Jim Lee on the 'classic' X-Men books and it is probably one of the most disappointing series I've ever read.

Calliope
06-08-2014, 07:12 AM
Del: Psylocke wasn't there.

I thought the movie was okay, although I liked X3 so feel free to disregard. Watching these always makes me so wistful. Am I the only one who wants to know where was Wanda? And what happened to Emma?

I am looking forward to Apocalypse, and hopefully more Bishop, and the inclusion of Cable, Domino, Rachael Summers, etc. etc.

My top ten wishlist would be pretty much Colonel Angus' lineup.

Colonel Angus
06-08-2014, 07:28 AM
Del: Psylocke wasn't there.

I thought the movie was okay, although I liked X3 so feel free to disregard. Watching these always makes me so wistful. Am I the only one who wants to know where was Wanda? And what happened to Emma?

I am looking forward to Apocalypse, and hopefully more Bishop, and the inclusion of Cable, Domino, Rachael Summers, etc. etc.

My top ten wishlist would be pretty much Colonel Angus' lineup.
Emma was one of the mutants killed by Trask. I believe when Mystique looks through the file, Emma's one of them.

Marvel & Fox had to make a special deal for both to use Quicksilver in their respective movies. I don't think Wanda was part of that deal, & Marvel is using her character in Avengers 2. However, there was the scene of Quicksilver in his home w/ a little girl, who it can be argued is Scarlet Witch. (I know, the characters are supposed to be twins, but you know how it works w/ these movies). But then, the little girl could be Polaris or just some human sister.

I would like more Bishop, too. I'm not sure who's going to be in the next one. Supposedly it's based in the 80s, so we'll probably get JLaw, Fassbender & McAvoy in it.

Calliope
06-08-2014, 10:16 AM
So, it just occurred to me that in the "future" scenario, we have Blink, Bishop, Warpath, Storm, Colossus and Sunspot outside fighting Sentinels, and inside the little shelter thing we have Shadowcat, Magneto, Professor X, Iceman and Wolverine. Everyone's a mutant, but even so we have all the ethnic minority mutants dying to protect the white mutants. All of them.

It seems like the numbers were big enough to maybe mix those groups up a little more, especially in a franchise that is supposed to be all about diversity? I don't want to read too much into this, but thinking about it makes me feel a bit sick, to be honest.

PS - I'm going to reiterate that I wish Bishop had a bigger role in this movie. Isn't the majority of his plot in comics connected to the fact that he is a time traveler? Given the overwhelming popularity of Wolverine/Hugh Jackman, it doesn't surprise me that they sent Wolverine back in time instead of Bishop, but still I wish they had done more with that character. Who am I kidding? I wish they did more with every character.

Ayen
06-08-2014, 01:39 PM
I thought Scarlet Witch was part of the deal? Or at least, they tried to make her part of the deal? I'm curious to see how Marvel Studios handles Quicksilver's character in their movies and mutants in general since all the main X-Men characters belong to Fox.

Perducci
06-08-2014, 02:12 PM
According to Bryan Singer, Quicksilvers little sister isn't Scarlet Witch, though there is apparantly a deleted scene in which their mother tells her to 'go upstairs and bug your sister', hinting that there may indeed be an actual Wanda in this continuity.

I thought Scarlet Witch was part of the deal? Or at least, they tried to make her part of the deal? I'm curious to see how Marvel Studios handles Quicksilver's character in their movies and mutants in general since all the main X-Men characters belong to Fox.

Hopefully Marvel's Quicksilver will utilize the same special effects. I thought the super-slo-mo they did in DoFP was perfect, and hopefully Marvel aren't too afraid to just roll with it rather than trying to find something different. Was more interested in Kickass playing Quicksilver than the guy in DoFP, but now I'm thinking that Marvel have their work cut out or them.

Hoping that the next film will even out the roster a little bit. Having so many characters worked due to the time travel elements, but if we're going to have an Apocalypse movie then we're going to have four horesmen and likely Mr. Sinister will be making an appearance, so I'm hoping we get a smaller group of X-Men rather than filling the movie up with a whole bunch of underdeveloped bit-part characters.

Gambit is supposed to be in, but I don't think he'll be with the X-Men to begin with, and then we have the whole thing with Mystique and Wolverine, not to mention the mutants that were rescued from Vietnam.

I'd like to see Bishop again, and I've read a few rumours about them introducing a young Cyclops and Jean Grey.

Either way, it's nice that I can get excited for X-Men movies again...

Ayen
06-08-2014, 02:20 PM
I did not know they got Aaron Taylor Johnson to play Quicksilver in Avengers 2. I'm interested in seeing that now.

I think for the Apocalypse movie just having Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Wolverine, Beast, Rogue, and Iceman on the team to face the Four Horsemen with Xavier back at the school would be enough. Especially if Gambit ends up fighting with them by the end of it. Maybe throw Colossus in there just for the sake of having a powerhouse.

Colonel Angus
06-08-2014, 04:44 PM
So, it just occurred to me that in the "future" scenario, we have Blink, Bishop, Warpath, Storm, Colossus and Sunspot outside fighting Sentinels, and inside the little shelter thing we have Shadowcat, Magneto, Professor X, Iceman and Wolverine. Everyone's a mutant, but even so we have all the ethnic minority mutants dying to protect the white mutants. All of them.

It seems like the numbers were big enough to maybe mix those groups up a little more, especially in a franchise that is supposed to be all about diversity? I don't want to read too much into this, but thinking about it makes me feel a bit sick, to be honest.

PS - I'm going to reiterate that I wish Bishop had a bigger role in this movie. Isn't the majority of his plot in comics connected to the fact that he is a time traveler? Given the overwhelming popularity of Wolverine/Hugh Jackman, it doesn't surprise me that they sent Wolverine back in time instead of Bishop, but still I wish they had done more with that character. Who am I kidding? I wish they did more with every character.
That is a great observation, but really only Iceman & Magneto would've been able to join the fight, which they eventually did.

In the original comic, Shadowcat was the one who went back in time, so if they weren't going to make it Logan, then it probably was going to be her. They also made the convenient excuse that only Logan would be able to physically withstand the travel to such a distant time, due to his healing powers.

Calliope
06-08-2014, 05:55 PM
I understand on both points, but it still just makes me really uncomfortable, especially when Charles and the other mutants inside are just sitting quietly (intensely, but quietly) while the others die outside in the snow trying to hold the sentinels off. I think this feeling could have been minimized if they just switched Iceman for Bishop - it seems like a fluke that they know they'd "need" Bobby's freezing power for something. The whole storyline is oppressive by design, but this just adds an extra layer to it and it's really unsettling to me on a very basic level.

I know that Storm's role was cut down due to Halle Berry being pregnant, but she could have done more, surely. Then (as has been mentioned already), when Wolverine goes back in time, the only mutants we encounter are Charles, Erik, Hank, Peter and Raven/Mystique. There are no other mutants, but also no other mutants of colour (other than blue) - not even any people of colour other than the one general who tries to seduce Raven, really. Pietro becomes Peter for the purposes of the movie - was this anglicizing really necessary? I just wish there was more PoC involvement other than "mutants who die" or "Apache warrior gazing into the distance". Perhaps I'm simply tiring of white superhero movies, but then again, is there another kind?

(Don't say Catwoman).

Colonel Angus
06-08-2014, 06:03 PM
I understand on both points, but it still just makes me really uncomfortable, especially when Charles and the other mutants inside are just sitting quietly (intensely, but quietly) while the others die outside in the snow trying to hold the sentinels off. I think this feeling could have been minimized if they just switched Iceman for Bishop - it seems like a fluke that they know they'd "need" Bobby's freezing power for something. The whole storyline is oppressive by design, but this just adds an extra layer to it and it's really unsettling to me on a very basic level.

I know that Storm's role was cut down due to Halle Berry being pregnant, but she could have done more, surely. Then (as has been mentioned already), when Wolverine goes back in time, the only mutants we encounter are Charles, Erik, Hank, Peter and Raven/Mystique. There are no other mutants, but also no other mutants of colour (other than blue) - not even any people of colour other than the one general who tries to seduce Raven, really. Pietro becomes Peter for the purposes of the movie - was this anglicizing really necessary? I just wish there was more PoC involvement other than "mutants who die" or "Apache warrior gazing into the distance". Perhaps I'm simply tiring of white superhero movies, but then again, is there another kind?

(Don't say Catwoman).
You do have to remember that it took a long time before there were even ANY non-white superheroes. I too hope they take advantage of the "minority" superheroes they have (not just changing races a la Nick Fury & Human Torch). While I patiently wait for Black Panther to become a movie Avenger, the X-Men seems ripe for having a few more non-white mutants, & not just as cameos/minor characters. Well see what goes in Apocalypse. The MCU has already added Falcon to the mix in the last Captain America movie, so they are taking steps to be more inclusive.

Calliope
06-08-2014, 06:12 PM
I do remember that, but it's also not 1960 anymore :(

I'll cross my fingers, but I won't hold my breath. I guess it's just disheartening for me to see so little representation, even in a comic universe that is all about equal rights and diversity. Even in a movie where we have to suspend our disbelief and believe in killer robots and time travel and magical mutations, the production team can't suspend their traditions and put PoC front and centre in the spotlight.

Ayen
06-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Perhaps I'm simply tiring of white superhero movies, but then again, is there another kind?

Blade.
Hancock.

Blade may be more vampire hunter and not your traditional superhero, but he still exists (in the comic books at least) in a universe that has Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and the Avengers and the guy got three movies in the past. Hancock was a pretty interesting spin on a modern day Superman even if it was kind of meh.

Del Murder
06-08-2014, 06:57 PM
They should have made Spiderman black in the reboot.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
06-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Wow.

I think you are way over reading into the situation.

Ayen
06-08-2014, 07:22 PM
They should have made Spiderman black in the reboot.

Calliope
06-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Wow.

I think you are way over reading into the situation.

That doesn't surprise me, and I don't expect people to agree with me, especially this audience. The movie had plenty of funny, cute, dramatic moments, and I will go see the sequel - but I think my observations are valid. I don't think that having a more prominent role for ethnic minorities should be that much of a stretch for such an imaginative and detailed universe that is continually expanding. It's a missed opportunity, and that makes me sad.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Hancock is black is that they cast Will Smith in the role, although I could be wrong - I can't find anything that indicates he exists outside of the screenplay. I'm also not saying there aren't any minority superheroes at all (Hi Jubilee, Green Lantern, etc) - only that I struggle to find any major superhero franchises or movies that aren't white. Sometimes I want to see "truth, justice, and The American Way" portrayed differently.

Depression Moon
06-08-2014, 09:40 PM
I understand, but I wouldn't expect it in a comic book franchise that is predominantly white to begin with.

Del Murder
06-09-2014, 03:11 AM
X-Men has been better at including minorities in its ranks than most, though. I also would have liked Bishop to have a larger role though I understand why they sent Wolvie back instead.

Calliope
06-09-2014, 03:32 AM
Well yes, but when The Avengers/Spiderman/Superman/Wonder Woman/Green Lantern/The Hulk/Ghost Rider/Electra/The Flash/Fantastic Four/Daredevil/The Punisher/Captain America and all of their supporting characters/villains are white, it doesn't take very much to "improve" on that!

One of the previews we saw was for Guardians of the Galaxy - it makes me sad that we are more likely to have a tree and a raccoon and an alien as major characters in a superhero movie than a person of colour :(

Points for War Machine, I guess! Wait, and The Invisible Woman maybe (there's a joke there...)!

Okay, I'm going to make a list of minorities as major superhero characters as depicted in film/TV. Help me add to the list!

Invisible Woman, War Machine, Lucius Fox (not a superhero, but I'll add him), Nick Fury, Storm, Catwoman, Blade, Hancock

Del Murder
06-09-2014, 03:55 AM
Take a victory when you can, even if it's a small one. Are there any Maori superheroes?

Pumpkin
06-09-2014, 03:56 AM
I haven't seen a ton of X-Men but there was one, Storm I think she's called? That I absolutely loved when I was a little girl because I had a doll of her and she had pretty hair

Del Murder
06-09-2014, 03:57 AM
Yes, Storm is one of the X-Men.

Calliope
06-09-2014, 04:03 AM
Take a victory when you can, even if it's a small one. Are there any Maori superheroes?

Other than Maui? Nah.

And yes, I edited my previous post to try make a list and perhaps glean a more substantial victory! I'm trying to be grateful instead of fuming over "ugh bishop = angry black man packing heat as only black man in movie" xDD

PS - This is pretty interesting (http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2014/01/11/261449394/who-gets-to-be-a-superhero-race-and-identity-in-comics), I'm not done reading it yet though.

Colonel Angus
06-09-2014, 04:36 AM
Bishop didn't come off as any more angry than any of the other mutants being attacked. :lol:

Zoe Saldana is in Guardians of the Galaxy, albeit, she's playing a green alien.

Kingpin was re-imagined as a black man for Daredevil.

I've already mentioned Falcon in Captain America & Johnny Storm in the F4 reboot.

Morgan Freeman was in the Batman Trilogy.

Wraith in Wolverine Origins.

Agent Trip, Agent May, Dethlok, "Flowers" & Skye are all minority characters in Agents of SHIELD.

Most of the cast of The Wolverine was Asian.

Calliope
06-09-2014, 04:53 AM
Well, wasn't The Wolverine set in Japan? But thanks! Some of those I have mentioned, and some of them I haven't seen, so that's good to know. I'm excited about the new Fantastic Four, although I liked the old Mr Fantastic. I'm about done with this tangent I think, but it's a shame that I have to stretch so much to cobble together a group of characters who are mostly just supporting characters in a sea of white people (see also: Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, etc.).

Wolf Kanno
06-09-2014, 05:43 AM

Night Fury
06-09-2014, 06:23 AM
Electro in the new Spidey film was black!

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/LaDcrC-zzmc/0.jpg

Mercen-X
06-09-2014, 06:30 AM
I just saw X-Men. I'm hoping that the next movie will deal us some flashbacks of exactly what happened to Xavier's and Magneto's teams. Emma, Angel, Azazel, and Riptide were captured, obviously, but how? Did they go down one-by-one or all at once during an assault led by Erik? What about the others? I may have blinked a bit when Mystique was looking at the pictures in Trask's lab but I don't think the question of what happened to Banshee was ever truly answered. We know that Havoc was drafted. Is he coming back?

There's also question as to the correlation between Days and the rest of Logan's history. If Emma is dead, then who was that girl in Origins? Obviously, the simplest explanation is that despite splicing scenes from the past movies into Logan's memory flashes, those movies are not canon with the story of First Class and Days of Future Past. But I'm personally hoping that the stinger's introduction of who I assume is the past incarnation (as a pharoah) of Apocalypse will provide a canon explanation for the existence of two Emmas... that being two mutants who can turn their skin into diamond perhaps in saying she was resurrected in a younger body which is supposedly within his span of power. It is somewhat difficult to imagine how a movie/story featuring Apocalypse can precede the original trilogy chronologically. I suppose the in-story explanation would have to be that Xavier uses Cerebro to erase the event from the memories of people all across the world.

Another question that arose at watching First Class that hasn't been answered is that Beast designed and built Cerebro... but in the original X-Men movie, Xavier told Logan that Erik helped him build it. I'm hoping the next movie shows Cerebro being destroyed and, of course, being needed for the plot, Magneto helps to re-"build" it. That's the only explanation left to satisfy the question, imo.

Shiny
06-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Spiderman was almost a black guy.

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2010/06/glover-spiderman.jpg

Ayen
06-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Kingpin was re-imagined as a black man for Daredevil.

Unfortunately this did not improve the quality of the movie, but then again nothing could.

Electro in the new Spidey film was black!

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/LaDcrC-zzmc/0.jpg

And Jamie Fox smurfing killed it.

Well, wasn't The Wolverine set in Japan?

Yes, but considering Hollywood hasn't been afraid of whitewashing actual minority characters in the past for the sake of having a recognized name in their cast, I'd take it as a victory.

Also, Harry Lennix and Laurence Fishburne were in Man of Steel, the latter of which was playing Perry White, chief editor of the Daily Planet.

Colonel Angus
06-10-2014, 12:12 AM

That would've been awesome. :lol: Fun Fact: Joel McHale played a banker in Spiderman 2 of the Tobey Trilogy. I would've hoped they had cast him in that part again.

Also, Jaime Foxx was awesome as Electro.

Mercen-X, there's a LOT of issues w/ continuity in the X-Men franchise. I hope whatever they do now, they can get it all together. As for the Wolverine stuff, I hope Wolverine 3 answers all of our questions.

Mercen-X
06-13-2014, 03:18 AM
What do you think they'll call the next Wolverine movie?

BustaMo
06-13-2014, 03:25 AM
I use to be a fan of this series back when I was playing the old X-Men games on the Sega Genesis. Since the movies have come out I've only seen X-Men: Origins. I need to round up most of the movies in the franchise and kinda watch them in order to get a feel of it and the characters and get back into the story.

Calliope
06-13-2014, 06:59 AM

"That Wolverine"

Perducci
06-13-2014, 08:02 PM

If it helps, Magneto and Shadowcat are both Jewish characters. Still white, but also still a minority. I think Iceman was only stuck inside because he's Shadowcats boyfriend in the movies. Xavier and Wolverine can't really go anywhere since Wolverine is back in time and Xavier is wheelchair bound and telepathic abilities probably don't work on Sentinels.

I wanted this so much.

Wolverin3. And the poster will simply be a picture of his claws. But in all honesty they should just go all out and give us an Old Man Logan movie.

Calliope
06-13-2014, 08:22 PM
Huh, in my head it's still Shadowcat x Colossus and Iceman x Rogue.

Perducci
06-13-2014, 09:28 PM
In my head, I stick with Shadowcat x Colossus, but the movies messed up all the romances.

Colonel Angus
06-13-2014, 11:20 PM
Except Jean & Logan/Scott.

Perducci
06-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Except Jean & Logan/Scott.

Yeah, but that one goes without saying. Mostly I am just mad that there was a distinct lack of Shadowcat x Colossus.

Mercen-X
06-15-2014, 04:57 PM
I think Iceman was only stuck inside because he's Shadowcat's boyfriend in the movies.

Which movies were those?

I think aspects of the story we're left to guess at are that Rogue died somewhere along the way and Bobby's "fling" with Kitty (in X-Men The Last Stand where they ice skate together) ends up being the only relational development they need as an excuse to ship them.

Perducci
06-15-2014, 06:47 PM
I think Iceman was only stuck inside because he's Shadowcat's boyfriend in the movies.

Which movies were those?

I think aspects of the story we're left to guess at are that Rogue died somewhere along the way and Bobby's "fling" with Kitty (in X-Men The Last Stand where they ice skate together) ends up being the only relational development they need as an excuse to ship them.

It was hinted towards in X-Men: The Last Stand and pretty blatantly obvious in Days of Future Past considering they were holding hands when they met with Xavier. Also, Rogue's still alive in DoFP though all of her scenes (Aside from the little cameo at the end) were cut.

Ayen
06-15-2014, 07:00 PM
They were good enough for the trailer, but not the movie. Interesting how that works out.

Depression Moon
06-15-2014, 10:15 PM
Oh I thought Rogue died in the future and that's how the sentinels were able to use mutant powers because they had her dna while they were able to shift and adapt because of Mystique.

Colonel Angus
06-15-2014, 10:38 PM
Oh I thought Rogue died in the future and that's how the sentinels were able to use mutant powers because they had her dna while they were able to shift and adapt because of Mystique.Actually, it was a supposed to be from Mystique. I think Mystique is able to "mime" another mutants powers when she is in the form of that mutant. In the Days of Future Past episodes of the cartoon she was able to use Gambit's powers as him.

Mercen-X
06-16-2014, 05:24 AM
They can't decide what Mystique can do with her powers.

Big D
06-16-2014, 07:38 AM
Oh I thought Rogue died in the future and that's how the sentinels were able to use mutant powers because they had her dna while they were able to shift and adapt because of Mystique.Actually, it was a supposed to be from Mystique. I think Mystique is able to "mime" another mutants powers when she is in the form of that mutant. In the Days of Future Past episodes of the cartoon she was able to use Gambit's powers as him.Mystique's powers, even in the movies, are pretty unique and extraordinary. She can change the size and structure structure of virtually every part of her body, from bones to muscle, teeth to skin, even mimicking fingerprints, retina and voices perfectly. She also has conscious control over this ability. The sheer extent and variety of changes offered by her mutation go beyond what most other mutants can do: while others may have remarkable powers of mind or body, they're generally in a fixed state.

On top of that, Mystique's also virtually ageless, has superhuman strength, resilience and agility, and she's phenomenally intelligent. She's effectively a paragon of the potential offered by the mutant-x gene - if you were going to pick one mutant to study and weaponise, it'd be her.

As we saw from the future Sentinels, the ability to change size, shape, texture and physical properties at will was an enormous, almost unbeatable advantage through sheer adaptability. Nothing to do with Mystique actually being able to mimic other mutants' powers or abilities.

Ayen
06-16-2014, 07:52 AM
I agree with Big D.

I also want Mystique's abilities. I would celebrity prank call so many people.

Depression Moon
06-16-2014, 11:21 PM
Oh I thought Rogue died in the future and that's how the sentinels were able to use mutant powers because they had her dna while they were able to shift and adapt because of Mystique.Actually, it was a supposed to be from Mystique. I think Mystique is able to "mime" another mutants powers when she is in the form of that mutant. In the Days of Future Past episodes of the cartoon she was able to use Gambit's powers as him.Mystique's powers, even in the movies, are pretty unique and extraordinary. She can change the size and structure structure of virtually every part of her body, from bones to muscle, teeth to skin, even mimicking fingerprints, retina and voices perfectly. She also has conscious control over this ability. The sheer extent and variety of changes offered by her mutation go beyond what most other mutants can do: while others may have remarkable powers of mind or body, they're generally in a fixed state.

On top of that, Mystique's also virtually ageless, has superhuman strength, resilience and agility, and she's phenomenally intelligent. She's effectively a paragon of the potential offered by the mutant-x gene - if you were going to pick one mutant to study and weaponise, it'd be her.

As we saw from the future Sentinels, the ability to change size, shape, texture and physical properties at will was an enormous, almost unbeatable advantage through sheer adaptability. Nothing to do with Mystique actually being able to mimic other mutants' powers or abilities.

Hold on since when has Mystique had super strength?

Mirage
06-17-2014, 04:19 AM
I watched this and liked pretty much all of it. I also really like X-men 1, 2 and first class, but not 3. I guess bringing back the original director helped a lot.

Hold on since when has Mystique had super strength?

She's had it in all the live action movies, at least.

Big D
06-18-2014, 08:26 AM
Hold on since when has Mystique had super strength?Watch any of the shit she does in pretty much any of her action sequences, especially in X-Men 2.

Ayen
07-18-2014, 12:29 PM
they're all good, but one thing really pissed me off, that why didn't they introduce Gambit!! he's like the best looking. and rouge need's someone too.

Gambit was in Wolverine Origins and is currently being recast for an up-coming film. I'm not sure if it's the next solo Wolverine, or X-Men, but I know he's been recast. Rogue current love interest is Ice Man.

Colonel Angus
07-18-2014, 10:25 PM
they're all good, but one thing really pissed me off, that why didn't they introduce Gambit!! he's like the best looking. and rouge need's someone too.

Gambit was in Wolverine Origins and is currently being recast for an up-coming film. I'm not sure if it's the next solo Wolverine, or X-Men, but I know he's been recast. Rogue current love interest is Ice Man.
It'll be the next X-Men movie. The next Wolverine hasn't been planned yet. It's likely to be a small part, to set up a solo film.

Ayen
07-18-2014, 11:33 PM

It'll be the next X-Men movie. The next Wolverine hasn't been planned yet. It's likely to be a small part, to set up a solo film.

Solo Gambit film?

I'm okay with this.

Christmas
07-22-2022, 06:07 AM
MS MARVEL IS A MUTANT! THE X MEN IS CUMMING!!

VexNet
07-24-2022, 11:35 PM
That music sampling during her reveal too!! :love:

I know it will be a long time for Mutants to be introduced into the universe but I am so ready to see some Mutant story lines and see how they will be interpreted. :hyper:

Imagine if they got a chance to play with some Villians who we haven't seen on the live action screen yet too, Like Mr Sinister and his obsession with the Summers family and subsequently bringing about INFERNO!! :save:

I would be so happy if they wanted to introduce a few different styled series such as X-Factor Investigations where it's run alongside other Government organisations [for example the Thunderbolts] or the more military group of mutants X-Force where they're blasting through walls and taking the action to the bad guy, and even have the New Mutants showing their experiences of coming of age while also competing against a rival school of Hellions!! :roll:

The Possibilities are endless! :lol: