PDA

View Full Version : Have you gone to the movie theater alone?

Pike
05-25-2014, 11:02 AM
Some people go regardless of who's with them because they like the experience or really want to see a film. Other people see the cinema as more of a social experience. How about you guys?

Aulayna
05-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Yes. To be honest there are some films I prefer seeing alone. As much as I like my friends, a couple of them have a tendency to make sarcastic remarks during films and sometimes I'm just "argh stfu I'm trying to watch this."

Also not many of my friends are Disney fanatics, so things like Frozen I went and saw on my own!

Plus I get to sit wherever the smurf I want when I go on my own. Want to sit at the front? No problem! At the back? No problem! In the middle? No problem. No caving to the group!

Rocket Edge
05-25-2014, 11:11 AM
I struggle to remember. I don't go to the cinema often at all but If I did or didn't it doesn't matter as I couldn't give a shit about going by myself. I wonder where the stigma started that you have to go with someone?

Psychotic
05-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Only once, on a ferry with my family when I was 16 and wanted to see the Matrix Reloaded. So I answered yes but I would never really do it at a normal cinema.

Shauna
05-25-2014, 12:59 PM
I haven't gone to the cinema myself, because I usually have someone to go with. But if I really wanted to see a film that nobody else wanted to see, I'd probably have no issues with going.

Dat Matt
05-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Yes. To be honest there are some films I prefer seeing alone. As much as I like my friends, a couple of them have a tendency to make sarcastic remarks during films and sometimes I'm just "argh stfu I'm trying to watch this."

I am guilty of this. I don't do it in the theatre but at home I will give a running commentary of most movies.

Alive-Cat
05-25-2014, 02:32 PM
No, but it's actually something I've always wanted to do. Especially if it was like an independent cinema. I'd get real drunk before and get incredibly into the movie whatever it was.

Pike
05-25-2014, 02:33 PM
To answer my own poll I've gone alone all the time. When I was in school it was often required to go see films and I went by myself all the freaking time. I've gone alone many times since then, too.

Aulayna
05-25-2014, 02:58 PM

I am guilty of this. I don't do it in the theatre but at home I will give a running commentary of most movies.

Yeah at home it's not so bad, but at the cinema it's just grrrr... unless it's a film that we've all agreed is terrible, then it's fair game. :p

Agent Proto
05-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Sure have, and I've done this several times!

Ayen
05-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Do you mean the room the movie is being played in or the building?

Rantz
05-25-2014, 03:33 PM
I haven't, but I wouldn't mind doing it from time to time.

Shaibana
05-25-2014, 03:47 PM
so far ive always had somebody who would want to see the movie too,
but if i really couldnt find anyone i wouldnt mind at all going alone.
im always going for the movie in the 1st place

Pumpkin
05-25-2014, 03:49 PM
I haven't but I wouldn't mind.

Also, the main reason I go to the movies is for the food

Scotty_ffgamer
05-25-2014, 04:15 PM
I don't drive, so I kind of depend on other people to be able to go to the theater when I go. Once I have my license, I wouldn't mind going to the theater by myself from time to time.

Shorty
05-25-2014, 04:25 PM
These past couple years, I go by myself more often than I go with other people. I really enjoy it and I find it helps me concentrate more on enjoying the film instead of social company.

Colonel Angus
05-25-2014, 04:50 PM
The one time I did go to a movie by myself, I ended up seeing someone I knew there.

Raistlin
05-25-2014, 04:54 PM
I have before, but not often. I don't go to the theater much, and those movies I care enough to see are generally so popular among my friends that everyone will see it. But if I don't get around to see it with someone, and I still care enough to see it, then I have no problem going by myself.

Vermachtnis
05-25-2014, 05:24 PM
No, the eyes of the ticket lady are judging. Always judging.

blackmage_nuke
05-25-2014, 06:00 PM
I do it sometimes when theres something I really want to see and I cant line up my schedules with my friends.

Mirage
05-25-2014, 06:19 PM
I'd pay for someone elses ticket to make them join me before going alone. And I have done so several times in fact.

Shaibana
05-25-2014, 06:40 PM
I'd pay for someone elses ticket to make them join me before going alone. And I have done so several times in fact.

just make sure they pay your ticket too once in a while :l im already sensing some abusement of that

Mirage
05-25-2014, 07:26 PM
a movie ticket every other month isn't really something that makes a noticable impact on my finances, so i don't care particularly much :p

Shiny
05-25-2014, 08:23 PM
Yep! I went to go see Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained by myself. I tend to watch movies by myself at home, so I don't see why watching them in a theater alone would be any different. You're not technically alone in a theater anyway except for that rare moment when my father and I were the only ones in the entire theater watching a film. xD

Jess
05-25-2014, 08:43 PM
I haven't, I wouldn't. You're all braver then me, I'm too conscious and worried of what people think. :(

I don't want to go to the cinema with people who talk through it, though. Shut up. We can talk about it after!

I just drag my boyfriend to the cinema with me, but it's ok because we like the same stuff anyway! :jess:

Sephex
05-25-2014, 10:51 PM
I have gone alone, but it was only a couple of times to review a movie for a website. In both cases, I had a feeling the movie wouldn't be that good, so I just wanted to go to a quiet, early showing during the day so I can watch it without a huge crowd distracting me and that the ticket price would be reasonable.

Iceglow
05-26-2014, 06:27 AM
I've been cinema a few times on my own. I think the first time was to see Transformers 1. I was meant to be going with my best mate, but when I got to his house to meet him he was so ill there was no way he could come with me as the tickets were pre-booked and paid for I decided to make use of my ticket, I did offer other people his one but there was no one else to available on short notice.

Since then I've been cinema a few times on my own but not in normal circumstances it was more like "I've locked myself out and have to wait 2 - 3 hours for someone to get home from work... Cinema showing this in 45 mins? Sweet wanted to see that anyway" sorta moments. I don't mind that I'm on my own at the cinema but I prefer company with me.

Shaibana
05-26-2014, 12:29 PM
a movie ticket every other month isn't really something that makes a noticable impact on my finances, so i don't care particularly much :p
its not about the money, but about the thought behind it. the respect of saying: '' you have already payed 2-3x, let me pay for the movie now''

Loony BoB
05-26-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm pretty sure I have because there was a long time when I was living alone and had no girlfriend in the UK and I don't like hanging out with my workmates after work because reasons (and 95% of my local friends are workmates). So yeah, I'm sure there was some random movie I saw by myself. Possibly. Maybe. Perhaps I did it in NZ at some point, too? I saw LotR like five times. But I don't think I would go as far as to say it's something I would want to do. For me, movies is a social thing - not during the movie, but just before and after it.

Now that I'm married, I don't think I'll ever have to see a movie alone again. :love:

EDIT: But I'm still alone in the poll wow what a loser. :(

Quindiana Jones
05-26-2014, 02:27 PM
You're never alone with a good film. :awardwinningsmile: #voteQuinforsomething

blackmage_nuke
05-26-2014, 02:37 PM
its not about the money, but about the thought behind it. the respect of saying: '' you have already payed 2-3x, let me pay for the movie now''

That's silly. You bide your time and build up your favours until you really need something big and then guilt trip them

Loony BoB
05-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Yeah. "I've now paid for you to see a movie per month for a decade. You owe me an £840 PC. Chop chop!"

Bubba
05-26-2014, 05:18 PM
I've done this plenty of times. I don't really understand why it's awkward for people. I watched all the original LOTR films twice when they were out at the cinema. Once with then girlfriends and once on my own. There have been countless others I've watched on my tod too.

I don't see the cinema as a particularly social event. Anyone who suggests this as a first date venue is a bit strange, I feel.

Now people eating out at restaurants on their own is a bit different. I find that a little weird.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-26-2014, 07:00 PM
I'll go alone if I can't get a hold of anyone that wants to go, but generally I ask people if they want to go. Sometimes I'm invited as well. I like that experience of leaving the theater excited and having someone to talk with about the movie on the ride home.

Also

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/e5/e5ab8fbeebfb993015da8d06c1ff051cf914928967979414b4c1aafd85e315fc.jpg

Mirage
05-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Nah, I just know I have friends that aren't assholes. It all works out in the end even if we don't keep track.

And if it really isn't about the money, why do my friends have to pay me back in things that cost money? Can't they give me other things instead?

Shorty
05-26-2014, 08:30 PM
I don't see the cinema as a particularly social event. Anyone who suggests this as a first date venue is a bit strange, I feel.

A theater for a first date is great. Take your date to the theater when an Adam Sandler or Rob Schneider film is out and see how they liked it. You can then you can dismiss them without wasting further dates on them determining whether or not you are compatible.

Bubba
05-26-2014, 08:56 PM

A theater for a first date is great. Take your date to the theater when an Adam Sandler or Rob Schneider film is out and see how they liked it. You can then you can dismiss them without wasting further dates on them determining whether or not you are compatible.

Haha, I like the strategy!

Nah, I much prefer to get to know a girl on a first date. Cinema isn't particularly conducive to that. Definitely for a 2nd or 3rd date though. By then I'd feel comfortable having a furtive fondle in the dark.

blackmage_nuke
05-27-2014, 05:51 AM
Also if theyre the type of person who talks loudly during a film you can ditch them immediately.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
05-28-2014, 04:08 AM
Yep. I do all the time. Probably about once a month. Mostly because I don't have anyone to go with.

But I still enjoy it. Twenty bucks for a ticket, popcorn, and a coke. It gets me by.

Parker
05-28-2014, 07:00 PM
I have no problem with doing this, although I haven't yet. There was a movie I was gonna go see because I knew no one else would want to, but I haven't bothered yet.

Formalhaut
05-30-2014, 03:29 AM
I'm with BoB on this one. For me, the movie experience has to be just right. Popcorn (salted, always), a soft drink, and at least one person sitting beside me.

If any one of those elements are missing, then something's gone wrong and I simply won't enjoy it as much. It's for this reason that I really haven't been to the cinema that often. There's been films I've wanted to watch, but I couldn't find, or more specifically, pluck the courage up to ask someone to, watch it with me. Therefore, I've gone without.

I have Sam now though, and he's equally eager to take people to films. He's the reason why I just recently got into the X-Men films and I saw Days of Future Past in cinema; a film I'd never think to watch!

Mahad
05-31-2014, 12:33 AM
I do.

My friends don't live close by, and our schedules don't sync. Also, if I go to the movies it's because I want to watch and enjoy the movie; some times having some one with you can be distracting.