PDA

View Full Version : Baby face

Jess
05-26-2014, 04:44 PM
Do you look your age? Do you look younger or older than you actually are? Do you wish you looked younger/older?

People always think I'm young than I am. I'd say 90% of the time I get asked for ID for age restricted items (18 years old), despite being 24.

Last time, the lady on the till was like "YOU'RE 24!?" when she read my date of birth. :blush:

I don't mind, though. I think I will be glad for it when I'm in my 30's and I look younger! I just have to remember to take my drivers licence with me everywhere I go! :jess:

Quindiana Jones
05-26-2014, 04:46 PM
People are always surprised by my age. Currently, most assume I'm around 30.

I'm 23. :stare:

Pike
05-26-2014, 04:47 PM
I'm 30 and most people guess I'm about 23/24. In fact when I adopted my cat recently the guy asked if I was over 18 to see if I could even adopt. :confused:

When I was 19/20 and first entered the workforce people would regularly ask my boss if I was old enough to be legally working :|

I'm FINALLY reaching a point where people have stopped asking if I'm going to university. You know, cause it's not like I graduated from it seven years ago or anything...

Parker
05-26-2014, 04:52 PM
I got ID'd on my 26th birthday, it was the first time in years.

I don't mind too much, I've worked retail and the general rule is to ID anyone who looks 25 or under. One time we had word that trading standards were visiting so I ID'd more thoroughly than usual. I ID'd a 36 year old but tbh I probably would have ID'd her any day of the week, she looked incredibly young for her age.

Quindiana Jones
05-26-2014, 04:53 PM
I have never been ID'd in my life.

/OLDPEOPLEPROBLEMS

Alive-Cat
05-26-2014, 05:00 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about the 10 time grammy award winning American R&B musician :(

Yeah, I look pretty young. I'm now 22 and am only recently getting to the point where I will occasionally not get I.D'd. I asked someone recently and they said I look roughly 18-20 tops. I don't really mind, I think it suits me.

Psychotic
A few months ago a colleague was working out who was the youngest employee, and as there are a few 30 year olds she was doing it by month. "What about me?!" I said. "You're older, aren't you?" I was 26 at the time! But apparently it's because I carry myself more maturely. No I don't xD On the whole I look older because of my hair, or lack thereof! I think my face still looks quite young so I guess I can probably pass for being early 30's for the next 15 years. Go me?

Jess
I got ID'd for petrol not long ago. PETROL. The age restriction on petrol is 16! :colbert:

Alive-Cat
05-26-2014, 05:02 PM
I got ID'd for petrol not long ago. PETROL. The age restriction on petrol is 16! :colbert:

Well that definitely takes it to another level!

Jess
05-26-2014, 05:04 PM
I'd already filled my car up, too! It was just stupid, really. :jess:

Loony BoB
05-26-2014, 05:12 PM
You can fill it up, but you can't pay for it! Forced into a life of petty crime, that's our 15 year old Jess.

As for me, I generally get assumed to be younger than I am, although apparently when dealing with people on the phone who haven't seen me, they assume I'm much older. I don't know what to make of that...

Pumpkin
05-26-2014, 05:19 PM
I'm told I look younger

starlet
05-26-2014, 05:20 PM
People usually guess that I'm 18 or 19. I just turned 30 last month so I'll take it :D

Iceglow
05-26-2014, 05:28 PM
I act younger than I am but most people assume I'm actually older. Though thats understandable if I haven't trimmed my beard recently (usually to a grade 1), the beard is coming through far more "salted" than I'd like.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
05-26-2014, 05:51 PM
I don't really get carded much except at a couple bars and the state run liquor store. But I did have somebody stop in the parking lot of the gas station and ask me if I was 21. I was carrying a 12 pack of beer. I just laughed it off and told them I was 24.

Shiny
05-26-2014, 06:14 PM
With makeup I look my age and perhaps even older because of my style, but without makeup definitely not. I always get IDed though, but that's more so because New Yorkers are ID Nazis.

Shaibana
05-26-2014, 06:19 PM
im always considered younger, but i blame my clothing for that. i dont dress very mature.
last year i had to show my ID a few times, eventhough i was 21 already (and the minimum age for alcohol was 18 back then)

Shorty
05-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Most of my life people have thought I was older than I actually was - I developed a figure early, wore makeup and did my hair quite early, and other than that I guess I didn't much look like or act like teenagers or early twenties (at age thirteen, my mom's friend asked me what college I was attending).

At twenty-five, I think I've finally reached an age where I tell people how old I am and they are not surprised.

Colonel Angus
05-26-2014, 09:15 PM
People tend to think I'm like 24 or 25 when I'm really in my early 30s. I've no issue w/ this.

Shauna
05-26-2014, 09:23 PM
I have actually been able to buy alcohol at a supermarket without being ID'd. :(

Perducci
05-26-2014, 11:31 PM
It's strange. I'm 25, and when I'm clean-shaven and I've got a neat haircut, people say I look about 18, yet I have never been ID'ed when I've been clean shaven. When I've grown my hair out and I've got a mean beard going on, people say I look older than I am yet I ALWAYS get ID'ed.

I don't understand it.

Colonel Angus
05-26-2014, 11:36 PM
It's strange. I'm 25, and when I'm clean-shaven and I've got a neat haircut, people say I look about 18, yet I have never been ID'ed when I've been clean shaven. When I've grown my hair out and I've got a mean beard going on, people say I look older than I am yet I ALWAYS get ID'ed.

I don't understand it.
They probably think you're an 18 y.o. trying to look older w/ a beard.

Perducci
05-26-2014, 11:50 PM

I don't understand it.
They probably think you're an 18 y.o. trying to look older w/ a beard.

I'd understand if I only had a little bit of stubble or something, but a lot of the time I have a full on, old enough to drink kind of beard. I'm in the UK so legal drinking age is 18, and I am sure that I definately look older than 18 when I'm in mountain man mode.

Night Fury
05-27-2014, 06:18 AM
I think I look around my age but people think I'm older because of how I carry myself. I've had people thinking I'm about 24/25.

Ayen
05-27-2014, 06:45 AM
I look younger than I am, especially clean shaven. Everyone in this family looks younger than what they are. It's a gift when you reach a certain point, truly.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-27-2014, 06:51 AM
I had a full beard by 8th grade, and people have always thought I looked older than I am. I was always asked about what college I went to in high school (though, I did have some university t-shirts thanks to an uncle who teaches at one).

Now that I've graduated college, I think I look about the same age that I am. I don't really know though since I only really interact with people I've known for years.

Miss Mae
05-27-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm only 20 but I apparently look older than that because bottle shop cashiers are supposed to check your age if you look under 25 and I've never been carded if I've gone into a bottle shop one alone; I've only ever been asked for ID if I've gone in with my baby-faced friends.

Pike
05-27-2014, 10:31 AM
I find this "Card if you look under 25" thing fascinating - having worked in retail for over a decade, I can confirm that in the States you're gonna be carded if you look even remotely under 50.

Miss Mae
05-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Our legal age to drink is a bit younger though, so it's a little easier to tell I suppose? It's rare for somebody over 25 to look like they could be under 18. Still, I think it makes sense to card bascially everyone because there are enough people who could probably pass as over 25 when they're not even close. I'm sick of being abused in my retail position when I ask people for ID when they're trying to buy cigarettes - it would be nice if ID checks were more common so people stopped chucking a fit every time I try to do my job.

Quindiana Jones
05-27-2014, 10:47 AM
I don't have a problem with everyone having their ID checked at every instance of buying something that requires a certain age to be reached. Change the wording to "must have valid proof of age to purchase", and stop all those tosspots who stand in line going "AHV GOT A FOOKIN BEE-URD MAYT".

Old Manus
05-27-2014, 11:58 AM
It would be easier if people would stop getting into wild hysteria over people under the age of 18 drinking and requiring airport security checks in order to buy 10 Sterling Superkings. When I was last on the continent I asked a few people what the drinking age was, and one said 16, one said 18, and the other expressed surprise that there was an age restriction on alcohol at all.

The last time I got ID'd I think was a few months ago, when I was buying (amongst other things) a bottle opener at IKEA. A fucking bottle opener! I thought it was a wind up.

Quindiana Jones
05-27-2014, 12:02 PM
My friend got ID'd for milk at Sainsbury's because one of her friends had just bought alcohol. He was above the age limit and had ID to prove it and so was allowed to buy alcohol, but she was below the age limit and had ID to prove it and so was not allowed to buy milk.

Bubba
05-27-2014, 04:23 PM
With makeup I look my age and perhaps even older because of my style, but without makeup definitely not. I always get IDed though, but that's more so because New Yorkers are ID Nazis.

The last time I was ID'd was when I was in New York. I was at the old Yankee Stadium and I was properly chuffed.

I'm in my early thirties but I'm often told I look around late-twenties. That suits me just fine :)

Newmani
05-27-2014, 06:59 PM
It depends on how my hair is. If it's straightened, I look younger. If it's in its naturally curly state I'm told I look older.

Colonel Angus
05-27-2014, 11:32 PM

The last time I was ID'd was when I was in New York. I was at the old Yankee Stadium and I was properly chuffed.

I'm in my early thirties but I'm often told I look around late-twenties. That suits me just fine :)
I love how ballparks have signs saying they "Card anyone under 25". How the smurf are they supposed to know if you're "under 25" unless they card you anyway?

Shiny
05-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Weird, I haven't seen that, but I only went to a staduim in NJ. They have bars that will card everyone and they will say that on their menu even. My grandmother was carded even, which I thought was ridiculous.

noxious.sunshine
05-28-2014, 05:46 AM
It's likely cuz the managers are making the servers card everyone. It's supposed to be "at the server's discretion", but a lot of managers don't wanna take any chances at all, so they make their servers card everyone.

If I don't mention I have a 6 year old, people think I'm 20. Back in Texas, when I was 27, one girl thought I was 16. I was like "..... Yeah that's seriously pushing it tho."

LunarWeaver
05-28-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm 28 but still get asked what year of high school I'm in. It doesn't help I ride a troutty orange beach bike everywhere with a backpack carrying all my stuff for the day. I'm thinking of adding a multi color propeller hat and lollipop.

On a serious note, people treat me like trout until they find out I'm out of high school. Then they're suddenly new people. Nicer people. I've been stopped multiple times by police officers just inquiring what I'm doing in my own neighborhood. No wonder teenagers are miserable little trouts, everyone acts like you murdered the President's puppy all the time.

Colonel Angus
05-28-2014, 11:06 PM
Weird, I haven't seen that, but I only went to a staduim in NJ. They have bars that will card everyone and they will say that on their menu even. My grandmother was carded even, which I thought was ridiculous.
The bartender was trying hard for a good tip.

escobert
05-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Depends if I shave or not. When I was younger people thought I as older. and as I get older people don' believe I'm 28.