PDA

View Full Version : Ace Combat Infinity

Pete for President
05-28-2014, 02:13 PM
I know there's at least one other Ace Combat fan out here. Ace Combat Infinity is out this month and I had no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ZzQakr6CY

Done some research:

Ace Combat Infinity is free to play. It seems to consist of remade Ace Combat missions from classic titles, as well as a couple new missions. To keep things free you spend fuel to go on missions. There's a timer on when you get new fuel to go on missions again. Paying will give you instant fuel. The game is strictly co-op and competitive co-op, meaning there is no player versus player dogfights. The only form of competition is through who gets the most kills on the AI enemies.

I don't like the idea of having rehashed missions. Story was always really important in AC and things seem to get retconned in this game. On the other hand it's been a while since the last fighter jet game came out so I might like it. I don't the idea of having no PvP.

Anywho it's free so I'll check it out. Will you? Thoughts?

Slothy
05-28-2014, 02:45 PM
According to Wikipedia it came out in NA yesterday. I'll have to check later.

And I believe this is now the Pete and Vivi thread.

Pete for President
05-28-2014, 03:00 PM
And I believe this is now the Pete and Vivi thread.

It is :p please share what it plays like, my PS3 is out for warranty and it'll be a while before I can check it out myself.

Iceglow
05-28-2014, 10:51 PM
I've been playing AC:AH on the 360 lately, I enjoyed the campaign but it's nothing as strong or as long as AC06 or AC:04 which are two of my favourites in the series.

Pete for President
05-29-2014, 01:40 PM
I've been playing AC:AH on the 360 lately, I enjoyed the campaign but it's nothing as strong or as long as AC06 or AC:04 which are two of my favourites in the series.

AC:AH jet and helicopter gameplay is solid for the most part and I enjoyed it too. Two things I just can't forgive is the scripted dog fight stuff in which planes miraculously just won't die no matter how many missiles you pump into them until the flashy explosion cutscene is prompted to show up. The other are the heli gunner missions, they just don't work too well.

The multiplayer in AC:AH was superfun too, it's probably the best jet fighter PvP game in existence.

Been playing through Zero again myself. Such a good game.

Iceglow
05-29-2014, 09:15 PM
The machine gunner missions work a lot like CoD missions of the same type so I guess being good at those sorta games helps but it feels off in an AC game you're right.

Scripted dogfights were annoying the other major issue was it felt like especially over Washington DC that you actually got very few kills unless you relied on DFM which was fine because it looks cool but frankly irritating when you're 10km from target and firing 4AAM in to them and hitting shit all.

Slothy
05-29-2014, 10:08 PM
The DFM was honestly my least favourite addition in AC:AH. It looks cool and stuff, but I always preferred having to line up for a good shot with missiles, wait for the enemy plane to make a move before firing. If DFM wasn't basically required to shoot anything down half the time I wouldn't have minded so much.

Iceglow
05-29-2014, 10:19 PM
That's my point, firing outside of DFM is almost pointless even at less than 1km range.

Slothy
05-29-2014, 10:42 PM
I whole heartidly agree.

krissy
05-31-2014, 01:46 AM
i cant get into psn store :(