PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!

Jess
05-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Have you ever broken any bones? How? What are some of the worst injuries you have had, what happened?

Considering how accident prone I am, I haven't suffered many breaks. I've broken a couple of toes and my nose.

My toes, simply by stubbing them... hard. I broke my nose on a trampoline, I went face first into the edge, hitting my nose on the metal frame.

I fell over on ice a few years ago and have had a few problems with my right elbow since. Sometimes if something just touches it in the wrong place it causes really sharp shooting pains. Eek! :(

When I was a little Jess, I fell over and went head first into the corner of a concrete step. I cracked my head open. I had to have stitches and I have a scar on my forehead now. I can't remember it being that painful, though. There was just a lot of blood! :jess:

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
05-28-2014, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't say I am accident prone, but I do get injured a lot.

But I put my body through a lot of trout, so there is generally a reason other than clutzyness.

I broke my foot once, in high school. I was being dumb and cool and showing off my bad ass jumping skills by jumping over a fence. I made the jump, but landed on a hill in a bad way. Boom. Broken foot.

I also got a real bad pinched nerve in my neck from wrestling. I crunched my neck in practice and then it got tight and proceeded to pinch a nerve if I moved the wrong way. I didn't tell my coaches and wrestled in a tournament that weekend. I made it to the second day before I lost. With all the adrenaline it didn't effect me during matches, but if I was between matches and looked to the left my whole body would scrunch up in pain and I would drop to the deck.

I also got hit by a car once (of many times) while on my bike. It bruised my knee and for about a year it would give out when I was running. Randomly. I would be running playing football or something and then BOOM. On the ground.

A couple years ago I cracked a rib during some martial arts training. And then I had to continue with the course. And do my annual physical fitness test. That sucked.
And then last year I hurt my other knee and had to do the pft again.

And today I was doing some awesome stuff, running through the mud, going through obstacles, jumping over and through stuff. It was a sweet run. But now my knees are both super sore. I had to stand up and teach all day after that run. Plus the martial arts stuff I did during lunch.

I get injured a lot.

EDIT: I forgot about my shoulder! I'm not sure what I did to it. Overuse, I think. But one of the muscles on my rotator cuff is weak. Worn down and whatnot. So that makes my shoulder hurt a lot if I am throwing a ball overhand or doing other stuff. So now I mostly throw sidearm when I play softball. Which hurts my elbow. But not as bad as my shoulder. So I keep doing it.

Sephex
05-28-2014, 09:07 PM
http://sydlexia.com/imagesandstuff/nes_quotes_you_should_know/ouch_what_do_you_do.png

Anyway, the most pain I ever been in was when I was playing with a friend at my great grandmother's house as a small kid. Basically, I jumped off a chair and landed really wrong on my ankle. This wasn't some day long sprain, either. It lasted forever. What sucked was that I was in Cub Scouts at the time and had to go to this day long event on a very bad ankle. I honestly probably came so close to breaking it or something. Whatever I did, it wasn't permanent because both of my ankles feel fine today. It just hurt like hell for a week an a half or so.

I have been lucky enough to avoid breaking a bone my whole life so far, but now that I typed that, I am sure the...uh....bone reaper is out to get me now.

Shorty
05-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Jess, we have some similar injuries xD I also cracked my head open as a kid and needed stitches across my eyebrow, and I broke my left arm while walking across ice and my legs came right out from under me.

I also knocked one of my two front teeth out slamming my face into an iron bench and gave myself a super nasty cut nipping the edge of a glass coffee table with a chipped edge that forced me to get stitches on both my muscle itself and my skin :(

Everything other injury than that has seemed rather miniscule to those four big ones! As I mentioned in the klutz thread, I am too klutzy for my own good :(

Sephex
05-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Jess, we have some similar injuries xD I also cracked my head open as a kid and needed stitches across my eyebrow, and I broke my left arm while walking across ice and my legs came right out from under me.

I also knocked one of my two front teeth out slamming my face into an iron bench and gave myself a super nasty cut nipping the edge of a glass coffee table with a chipped edge that forced me to get stitches on both my muscle itself and my skin :(

Everything other injury than that has seemed rather miniscule to those four big ones! As I mentioned in the klutz thread, I am too klutzy for my own good :(

If i removed the context and age references of this post, I would think you were talking about going to a metal show.

Parker
05-28-2014, 09:50 PM
I have a robot cock after losing mine in a skiing accident.

Sephex
05-28-2014, 09:55 PM
I have a robot cock after losing mine in a skiing accident.

http://iamclosetgeek.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/robot-chicken-1.jpg

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
05-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Oooooo.

I've also had 13 concussions due to various incidents. Being hit by cars, running into people on bikes, falling off a skateboard, swinging on pipes and falling, martial arts, et cetera.

And I got stitches in my knee once, because I was flying around on Heelys and hit a crack and went flying 37 ft forward and landed on my left knee leaving a gigantic blood squirting gash. No really, it squirted every step as I walked to the nurses office.

Crop
05-28-2014, 10:05 PM
No broken bones, but a couple of years back I had to have my lower lip reattached and upper lip stitched up after it was torn off by a dog that attacked me.

The Doctor did an excellent job though and it's not noticeable unless I point it out to people.

Shauna
05-28-2014, 10:10 PM
I have never been admitted to hospital for anything wrong with me.

Alive-Cat
05-28-2014, 10:15 PM
Only toes and nose too. Broke a few toes once by dropping this metal doorstopper thing on them - it was shaped like a cat and I was playing with it. Broke my nose once when me and my brother were in a mosh pit, (jokingly,) and he elbowed my face. It hurt!

Colonel Angus
05-29-2014, 12:34 AM
Where do I begin?

Had to get stitches in my chin because I slip & fell on a tub.
Sprained a wrist trying to jump rope.
Hernia operation.
Nose broken in a fight.
Had to have part of my intestines removed due to a Crohn's related blockage.
Was too sickly to have the surgery completed @ one time, so I had to get it put back together again 2 months later.

Miss Mae
05-29-2014, 01:35 AM
I've broken one toe. My smallest toe on my left foot.

The most serious injury I've had, however, is the damage I did to my wrist. I knocked the back of my right wrist against the side of a swimming pool when I was fifteen and ruptured the pocket of fluid that is used to lubricate the joint, so now that fluid leaks out around my joint and puts pressure on my tendons and whatnot. Six years later and I'm still dealing with the pain it can cause.

And, before you ask, I've tried everything short of cutting off my hand to try and make it feel better, but there is very little a doctor can do for the cause itself. They can help treat the symptoms (with surgery and too much money) but it will more than likely just keep coming back and I'm better off just being patient each time it does while I wait for it to go back to near-painless.

noxious.sunshine
05-29-2014, 01:10 PM
When I was 3, our neighbor's Boston Terrier pretty well bit a hole in my face when I tripped and fell on him. I had to get 20 internal and external stitches. I still have a scar. There was no plastic surgeon like anywhere in my hometown, so our family doctor stitched me up or something.

I recently saw a comment from our doctor's wife about it and she said "There was no scarring after!" .... Bitch you didn't see me after when I was growing up. You didn't hear or witness any of the teasing. There's a definite scar. But whatever.

Anywho, when I was 2, I somehow fell on my face and it killed the nerves in my 2 front teeth.. They had to get pulled and didn't grow back until I was in 4th grade.

Not long after they grew back in, I ran into one of the metal volleyball poles during recess and busted my face and chipped my tooth. Was running and my hair got in my face.
Not long after -that-, I accidentally stabbed myself in my index finger & had to get 4 stitches. lol

7th grade, I broke both of the bones in my right wrist while rollerblading.. That trout HURT. Had a cast that went above my elbow and they didn't set it right so my wrist looks slightly off.

Oh. When I was in 1st or 2nd grade, I fell off a low trust me and landed on my back. It hurt.

I've also lost a couple of fingernails from accidentally slamming them in a door or something.

Nothing else after that really happened. Until NYC when I sliced my thumb and busted my tail bone. lol

LocoColt04
05-29-2014, 05:07 PM
I fell over on ice a few years ago and have had a few problems with my right elbow since. Sometimes if something just touches it in the wrong place it causes really sharp shooting pains. Eek! :(You might have a bone spur! I've got one in my left knee (and that's my good knee damnit) and it's a total pain in the ass when I bump it or happen to kneel down with the left side first.

I have never been admitted to hospital for anything wrong with me.:doublecolbert:

Let's see. Broken bones... chronological with subsequent injury is how I believe I'll chart this. It'll be a wet dream for BoB. There's a massive chunk of injuries that aren't bone-related. Torn ACL and PCL, shredded tendons and lesser ligaments multiple times, torn rotator cuff, torn AC (my left shoulder sits an entire inch lower than my right shoulder), etc. There's also a large timespan in the teens where I didn't break any bones because I was fighting through paralysis and wasn't quite as active... still managed to screw my knees over when I was learning how to walk/run again though.

YR | BONE(s) BROKEN
===|===============
05 | Jaw; gravel embedded in chin; cycling accident
12 | Left forearm; bruised bone with microfracture; cycling accident
13 | Left knee; chipped kneecap; tripped up concrete stairs while running, shredded
through layers of skin and muscle
14 | Spine; L4 & L5 vertebrae fusion with paralysis; falling from 12+ feet without
landing properly
19 | Third finger, left hand; messy fracture at knuckle; cracked the skull of the kid
that tried to rape my sister
22 | Fourth toe, right foot; compression fracture; stubbed into a corner
25 | Skull; fracture behind left ear; got mugged
25 | Nose; hairline fracture; see above
25 | First toe, right foot; broken at joint; see above
26 | Right wrist; messy fracture; slipped on plastic and cracked wrist on a shipping
pallet
26 | Left thumb; messy fracture; head-on collision
26 | Left wrist; clean break; see above
26 | Left forearm; messy fracture; see above
26 | Left rib x3; clean breaks; see above
26 | Right wrist; clean break; I'm honestly struggling to remember how it happened the
second time
27 | Skull; fracture in forehead; mugging attempt but subsequently beat the hell out of
the assailant (he cried)
27 | First metatarsal, right foot; microfracture; rolled ankle while applying pressure
to stand up
28 | First metatarsal, right foot; clean break; massive application of pressure, snapped
behind previous injury
Yes, I did actually manage to break three wrists in one year.

I just realized how depressing this list is... and that's just BONE-related injuries. Oy.

Formalhaut
05-29-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm an incredibly cautious person, I don't do anything risky so I don't get hurt! Lots of people climbed trees for example, while I'd just stare and say nervously "gosh that's pretty dangerous!", even as a child I always avoided danger if at all possible. Funnily enough, I still enjoy roller coasters.

Loony BoB
05-29-2014, 05:46 PM
I broke my hand when I tried to replace a light bulb. I broke various bones in my leg when I was sitting in a car and it ran me over.

I fell over on ice a few years ago and have had a few problems with my right elbow since. Sometimes if something just touches it in the wrong place it causes really sharp shooting pains. Eek! :(You might have a bone spur! I've got one in my left knee (and that's my good knee damnit) and it's a total pain in the ass when I bump it or happen to kneel down with the left side first.

I have never been admitted to hospital for anything wrong with me.:doublecolbert:

Let's see. Broken bones... chronological with subsequent injury is how I believe I'll chart this. It'll be a wet dream for BoB. There's a massive chunk of injuries that aren't bone-related. Torn ACL and PCL, shredded tendons and lesser ligaments multiple times, torn rotator cuff, torn AC (my left shoulder sits an entire inch lower than my right shoulder), etc. There's also a large timespan in the teens where I didn't break any bones because I was fighting through paralysis and wasn't quite as active... still managed to screw my knees over when I was learning how to walk/run again though.

YR | BONE(s) BROKEN
===|===============
05 | Jaw; gravel embedded in chin; cycling accident
12 | Left forearm; bruised bone with microfracture; cycling accident
13 | Left knee; chipped kneecap; tripped up concrete stairs while running, shredded
through layers of skin and muscle
14 | Spine; L4 & L5 vertebrae fusion with paralysis; falling from 12+ feet without
landing properly
19 | Third finger, left hand; messy fracture at knuckle; cracked the skull of the kid
that tried to rape my sister
22 | Fourth toe, right foot; compression fracture; stubbed into a corner
25 | Skull; fracture behind left ear; got mugged
25 | Nose; hairline fracture; see above
25 | First toe, right foot; broken at joint; see above
26 | Right wrist; messy fracture; slipped on plastic and cracked wrist on a shipping
pallet
26 | Left thumb; messy fracture; head-on collision
26 | Left wrist; clean break; see above
26 | Left forearm; messy fracture; see above
26 | Left rib x3; clean breaks; see above
26 | Right wrist; clean break; I'm honestly struggling to remember how it happened the
second time
27 | Skull; fracture in forehead; mugging attempt but subsequently beat the hell out of
the assailant (he cried)
27 | First metatarsal, right foot; microfracture; rolled ankle while applying pressure
to stand up
28 | First metatarsal, right foot; clean break; massive application of pressure, snapped
behind previous injury
Yes, I did actually manage to break three wrists in one year.

I just realized how depressing this list is... and that's just BONE-related injuries. Oy.
http://www.writeups.org/img/fiche/2666.jpg

LocoColt04
05-29-2014, 06:08 PM
http://www.writeups.org/img/fiche/2666.jpgYou're not the first to suggest that.

Shorty
05-29-2014, 07:09 PM
Jesus, Loco!

noxious.sunshine
05-29-2014, 07:13 PM
I forgot, one time I flipped my big brother's 4 wheeler when I was 3. He showed me where the throttle was and I took off on it while waiting for him to give me a ride.

Then when I was 11/12, I flipped a kid sized 4 wheeler into a big patch of thorns.

Alive-Cat
05-29-2014, 08:27 PM
I have fallen on my head so many times in my life it is ridiculous, somehow, I have never got brain damage or broken my neck. Thank you.

Formalhaut
05-30-2014, 12:37 AM
I broke my hand when I tried to replace a light bulb..

Just, how did you manage that BoB?!

Ayen
06-04-2014, 03:55 PM
I never broken any bones (thank god), the worst thing to ever happen to me was a twisted ankle. My foot slip in the bathtub and I ended up doing a slow splits that twisted it. By the time the doctor was finally ready to see me it was all better.

I twisted my ankle a few times after that, too.

Bubba
06-04-2014, 04:08 PM
I broke my right femur in two places when I was 26. I crossed a road whilst drunk at 3am trying to flag a cab down on the other side of the road. I didn't notice a cab coming the other way and it hit me around 40mph. Leg broke, shoulder dislodged, multiple cuts and bruises. It hit me on my thigh which is quite lucky as they're quite thick. If it hadn't been a black cab (which have raised bonnets) a normal car would have hit my knee and I probably wouldn't be walking. Off work for four months.

I've dislocated a toe or two but no other bones broken.

LocoColt04
06-04-2014, 04:41 PM
While I can't compare to a femur (that blows, by the way), I did break another bone this week! Add another toe to that chart. No big deal.

Jiro
06-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Only bone I broke was my toe. In two places. Tripping over a mattress. I have numerous other war stories that involve all many of horrible wounds but none quite stack up to Loco and his fragile body or, y'know, Iceglow getting run the smurf over. (and apparently bubba too geez guys)

EDIT: oh yeah Mae has reminded me of the broken spine. whoops. forgot about that.

Miss Mae
06-04-2014, 06:28 PM
EDIT: oh yeah Mae has reminded me of the broken spine. whoops. forgot about that.Try not to forget about it too often. I like you better when you can, y'know, walk.

Bubba
06-05-2014, 09:22 AM
oh yeah Mae has reminded me of the broken spine. whoops. forgot about that.

Man that is pretty bad! How did that happen?

My friend broke his spine years ago and he still has problems with his back today.

Loony BoB
06-05-2014, 09:58 AM
I broke my hand when I tried to replace a light bulb..

Just, how did you manage that BoB?!
Ahahahahaha, of the two things I posted, I've never seen someone so quick to jump onto this one rather than the other.

I was changing a light bulb while standing on one of those chairs that has a kind of... slope to it, towards the back of the chair. You know, taller legs at the front and all that. Anyway, when I was taking the bulb out it was being awkward and suddenly it moved, and the suddenness of it made me adjust my feet slightly. One foot hit the back of the chair. Now, on a flat chair this could be bad but the amount of force wouldn't have toppled it. On this chair, it was just enough - the chair slowly and then very suddenly fell backwards, with me using my hand to break my fall. My finger was twisted out of shape because of this and there was quite a bit of swelling over time. But thankfully the swelling wasn't so soon or bad that I couldn't get back up and change that damned light bulb. I kept it as a souvenir for some time, actually. xD

Award Guy had to do the Ciddies that weekend. Funnily enough, he had broken his hand too. He managed to pull through, though, with 184 posts (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/53420-The-2004-End-of-Year-Ciddies-Winner-Revelation-Thread!-(Tally-now-in-first-post)).

http://www.loonybob.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/random73.jpg
This is a photo of me or Award Guy back in 2004. I forget which, we're bizzarely identical.

Shiny
06-05-2014, 10:01 AM
How do you manage to look different in every photo you take?

Ayen
06-05-2014, 10:02 AM
How do you manage to look different in every photo you take?

OMG Loony BoB is a shapeshifter!

Loony BoB
06-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Haircuts, shaving, messing up of hair, glasses, expressions. I like to think that I'd have been a half decent actor as my face is quite uhm... rubbery? I guess? I don't know the word. You know, when you can move parts of your face around a bit more than other people... flexible? I don't know.

Shlup
06-05-2014, 10:38 AM
I broke my right ankle when I was 15. It swelled up pretty bad, but it didn't hurt much, so I didn't go to the hospital for a few days. I sprained that same ankle a couple of years ago and it hurt far worse than the break.

Jiro
06-05-2014, 01:31 PM
oh yeah Mae has reminded me of the broken spine. whoops. forgot about that.

Man that is pretty bad! How did that happen?

My friend broke his spine years ago and he still has problems with his back today.

You know, I can't say for sure. It could have been any one of a number of things. It's not like my back started in a good place; there were concerns as to whether I would be able to walk at all as an infant. But lo, I walked and then some, up unto the point where I fell into a concrete pit. I would say this is probably the most likely event where the break occurred, but again, I've had intense back pain every day for my whole life so I don't really know what the magic moment was.

Haircuts, shaving, messing up of hair, glasses, expressions. I like to think that I'd have been a half decent actor as my face is quite uhm... rubbery? I guess? I don't know the word. You know, when you can move parts of your face around a bit more than other people... flexible? I don't know.
You had elastic, animated, evocative. You had expressive, versatile, malleable. But you chose rubbery.:simon:

Alive-Cat
06-05-2014, 02:42 PM

Chicks dig a man with a rubbery face. Keep rubbering, bro. :cool:

Loony BoB
06-05-2014, 02:50 PM
You had elastic, animated, evocative. You had expressive, versatile, malleable. But you chose rubbery.:simon:
I've never been very good with uhm... ah... oh, crap, what do you call those things again? Series of consecutive letters? Terms? I'm going to go with terms, I suppose. I dunno.

Jiro
06-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Words. Synonyms. Good grief.

Shiny
06-10-2014, 01:38 PM
My dog broke my nose possibly intentionally, but I like to think I didn't even realize until months later because I'm a hardened badass. I still need to get the surgery to get the bone fixed so I can breath out of both nostrils again.

BustaMo
06-13-2014, 02:47 AM
I've had so many small injuries that I'm surprised in 28 years I have yet to have "officially broken" a bone in my body. I say officially because I'm the kinda guy who it will take a limb hanging off the socket for me to go to the hospital. I've messed up ankles falling down stairs, sports, gotten smashed in the nose numerous times, jammed fingers, but nothing major like a break thank God.