PDA

View Full Version : FFX and Organized Religion

Nebulance
05-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Hi all,

Not sure if this has been posted already, but there was a nice article on IGN concerning FFX and organized religion. You can read it here:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/05/26/final-fantasy-xas-war-on-organised-religion

I thought it was an interesting read to say the least, and certainly one of the reasons why it's one of my favorite games!

Thoughts and comments?

Fynn
05-29-2014, 12:42 PM
I don't think it's done well. There were lots of other games: FFTactics, Xenogears, Bravely Default, that handled a corrupt organized religion and more respectfully. X's portrayal is pretty meh. If I feel like it, I'll say more, but I've already talked about this at length and am pretty tired of the topic.

Jiro
05-29-2014, 01:11 PM
I wrote a thing on this for the 25th Anniversary magazine (http://www.uffsite.net/avalon/downloads/pdf/ff25_avalon_mag_db.pdf). I was mostly pointing out the allusions and comparisons between the Catholic Church and Yevon, but I think it gives an interesting framework. Game Theorists on YouTube did a video critiquing whether or not FF was anti-Religion. I don't think it is; many JRPGs use religion as villainous entities but it's not necessarily a commentary on our institutionalised religions. I do think it's an interesting way to present a critique, though: parts of different religions can be examined under a new lens which allows us slightly more objective insight (accounting for all the biases in creation and critiques, of course). I think Wakka is an excellent vehicle teaching us that we shouldn't uncritically believe everything we're told. Like Fynn, that's about all I'll say on the topic before I repeat myself extensively :ffvilaugh:

Pete for President
05-29-2014, 01:24 PM
I don't think the article was that well written. At the end of it I thought; that's a lot of words for this few points made.

X is my favourite FF and the religion part is one of the aspects I like most about the game. The article however is very "kind", like it's afraid to hurt anyone's feelings. That's understandable, but I think FFX makes far greater comparisons that are well worth telling about since people can actually learn or open up their minds from them.

Also the puns and jokes in the article don't help to see the underlying seriousness imo. Still can't tell whether the writer appreciates the depth of X or mocks aspects of it.

Mirage
05-29-2014, 01:24 PM
FFX is a bit in yo face about religion, but it never really bothered me all that much. I wouldn't say it is one of the most important reasons I like this game.