PDA

View Full Version : FFX was the prequel to this, Really?

Wolf Kanno
05-30-2014, 04:43 AM
So what are people's thoughts on the revelation that this game is a distant prequel to FFX? Does it bother you,do you love the idea of it, or could you care less?

Scotty_ffgamer
05-30-2014, 04:48 AM
I thought FFX was the prequel? Either way it doesn't change anything to me really. I still look at the games as completely separate.

black orb
05-30-2014, 04:54 AM
I thought FFX was the prequel?
>>> Same here, Shinra said something about using Pyreflies as a form of energy in the future, just like Mako..
Do I care if the games are connected? not at all..:luca:

Quindiana Jones
05-30-2014, 04:59 AM
Wait, what?

Wolf Kanno
05-30-2014, 05:24 AM
I thought FFX was the prequel? Either way it doesn't change anything to me really. I still look at the games as completely separate.

You are correct, I apparently need to get some more sleep. Can a mod change the title for me?

Shorty
05-30-2014, 05:31 AM
Wait, what?

Yeah, this is my fucking reaction as well. Does not compute.

(changed the title for you, wolfie :aimkiss:)

fire_of_avalon
05-30-2014, 05:32 AM
NOTHING TO SEE, PLEASE DISCUSS SEQUEL.

SARAH DO NOT DO THINGS THAT I AM DOING GOSH I NEVER GET TO HAVE FUN.

black orb
05-30-2014, 05:47 AM
Both Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega and the Final Fantasy X-2 Ultimania, suggest that Shinra of Final Fantasy X-2 has a connection to the company of the same name in Final Fantasy VII.

From Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega:[1]

“Shinra is a boy who supports the Gullwings, the group which the main protagonist, Yuna, belongs to. He carries a name that gives him an association to the Shin-Ra Company, and he is researching a method that could utilize the energy of "the life force that flows through our planet." The results of this cannot be seen in FFX-2, but maybe one day his descendants will establish a "company that supplies the energy of the planet"?”

In the Final Fantasy X-2 Ultimania Kazushige Nojima said the following:[1]

“After quitting the Gullwings, Shinra received enormous financial support from Rin, and began trying to use Vegnagun to siphon Mako Energy from the Farplane. But, he is unable to complete the system for utilizing this energy in his generation, and in the future, when traveling to distant planets becomes possible, the Shin-Ra Company is founded on another world, or something like that....... That would happen about 1000 years after this story, I think.”

>>> Source (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shinra_%28Final_Fantasy_X-2%29)..:luca:

VeloZer0
05-30-2014, 06:43 AM
IMO it just makes it easier to pretend that FF10-2 doesn't exist.

If I have to consider it valid, then I would say it is absolutely deplorable. It smells like bad fanfiction writing, trying to shoehorn in as many connections as possible to stamp it's mark. But that's what I think of the majority of the Compilation.

Newmani
05-30-2014, 07:01 AM

If I have to consider it valid, then I would say it is absolutely deplorable. It smells like bad fanfiction writing, trying to shoehorn in as many connections as possible to stamp it's mark. But that's what I think of the majority of the Compilation.

This is worse than bad fanfiction writing in my opinion. I've never played FFX but I have seen it before, and it has very little in common with FFVII. There's no materia, summons don't work the same, there's no real lifestream, it contradicts the fact that Shin-ra never actually made it to space because they found mako to be profitable after their prototype rocket never made it off the ground, and in general it's just plain incompatible with FFVII because if you think about it really hard, there's just too many differences and too many plot holes which can't just be handwaved.

Jessweeee♪
05-30-2014, 03:12 PM
I put it in the same place as the Squall's Dead theory, a very interesting thought that gives another perspective on the game. Feels more like a "head canon" than the real thing.

Sephiroth
05-30-2014, 03:24 PM

This is worse than bad fanfiction writing in my opinion. I've never played FFX but I have seen it before, and it has very little in common with FFVII. There's no materia, summons don't work the same, there's no real lifestream, it contradicts the fact that Shin-ra never actually made it to space because they found mako to be profitable after their prototype rocket never made it off the ground, and in general it's just plain incompatible with FFVII because if you think about it really hard, there's just too many differences and too many plot holes which can't just be handwaved.

It has all in common as it is canonical to each other within one universe and Spheres and Materia are pretty much the same thing as well as the substance of Farplane and Lifestream are the same. A creator stating an idea that directly but still just calling it an "idea" does not automatically mean it is just an idea (even though being nitpicky other possibilities would still be given) but a statement of something as it actually is, just like Dumbledore's sexuality is a fact even though it was stated as "thought of" instead of "he is". In fact many creators state their facts like that and as long as it does not get to much into theory such as "probably, probably, probably" that is okay. And the study of planet life fits very well to Spira as well as Dirge of Cerberus' explanation of Omega's journey through the universe to give life to a planet. Final Fantasy X is seperate story-wise but in the same universe. The idea is just not totally fleshed out.

It's just a playful kind of nod, but I don't think in regards to the story it has any truth to it.

Exactly the opposite is the case and no one said the Gaians knew anything about the Spiran life before. Canon is canon, it really is that simple. Zidane's comment is a gag but this connection about the story was made intentionally.

Parker
05-30-2014, 05:49 PM
yea theres no way they reused names

p.s all the cids are the same guy

Shauna
05-30-2014, 05:52 PM
I think it's a silly little theory, and it's nice that the creators give a wink-wink-nudge-nudge to it, but that's all it really is in my mind. :3

Karifean
05-30-2014, 08:01 PM
I'd call it a reference.

Parker
05-31-2014, 10:35 AM
it is just a reference and lmao at fan theories

lmao at you

lmao at you reading this. lmao at your life choices that led you to this moment. lmao

Alive-Cat
05-31-2014, 11:19 AM
I'd like to believe it's true but it just doesn't match up.

The most solid evidence being yeah, Cid's rocket being supposedly the first rocket that would go into space. That's quite an integral part of VII because every main character in the game has their own reason and their own story about why they hate the Shinra. So you can't just shrug it off, really.

I liken it to the IX reference to Cloud. 'i knew a guy with spikey hair who used a sword like this' or whatever he said. How could Zidane of actually known Cloud, did he travel to another world? Another dimension? Back/forward in time?

It's just a playful kind of nod, but I don't think in regards to the story it has any truth to it.

Depression Moon
05-31-2014, 02:01 PM
From Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega:[1]

“Shinra is a boy who supports the Gullwings, the group which the main protagonist, Yuna, belongs to. He carries a name that gives him an association to the Shin-Ra Company, and he is researching a method that could utilize the energy of "the life force that flows through our planet." The results of this cannot be seen in FFX-2, but maybe one day his descendants will establish a "company that supplies the energy of the planet"?”

In the Final Fantasy X-2 Ultimania Kazushige Nojima said the following:[1]

“After quitting the Gullwings, Shinra received enormous financial support from Rin, and began trying to use Vegnagun to siphon Mako Energy from the Farplane. But, he is unable to complete the system for utilizing this energy in his generation, and in the future, when traveling to distant planets becomes possible, the Shin-Ra Company is founded on another world, or something like that....... That would happen about 1000 years after this story, I think.”

>>> Source (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shinra_%28Final_Fantasy_X-2%29)..:luca:

That makes a bit more sense than when I heard VII and X share the same planet. The only part that doesn't make sense is that he uses Vegnagun to siphon mako energy when you destroy Vegnagun at the end of the game.

Edit: Oh wait, it doesn't. If space travel was already possible when Shinra's company arrived on VII's planet, then why was Cid making a big deal about trying to make it to space?

Sephiroth
05-31-2014, 02:05 PM
Edit: Oh wait, it doesn't. If space travel was already possible when Shinra's company arrived on VII's planet, then why was Cid making a big deal about trying to make it to space?

The study of planet life is a cycle of rebirth. Just because Gaians don't know what happened long ago doesn't mean it didn't happen. Also the idea is not fleshed out, the connection is just made. It is canonically one universe with the same elements but basically everything about that is open except what was mentioned (notice the words "or something like that"). The story about the Cetra can happen and the humans as well as that the lifestream, already contains the memories of a being that knew how to use Lifestream energy for efficient work and later this is reflected by someone founding the Shinra Company which also found out again how it can be used. He is the main writer of both Final Fantasys, after all - together with Yoshinori Kitase, mainly however he writes those things down how they are in the end.

Alive-Cat
05-31-2014, 02:23 PM
So it's kind of like...it would be set over a MASSIVE time scale, unbelievably long. And (we'll just call them humans for now) the humans, in the time between X and VII, got into space, founded other planets, lived there, and lived there so long that they forgot they had ever come from other planets? (Maybe due to some massive destructive event.)

It's plausible, I suppose. One of the main themes of so many Final Fantasy games is the idea of technology going bad and destroying everything, thus why so many of the games are set in this kind of post apocalyptic world in which everything is run down and back to ancient times kind of, but with some leftover technology still being used etc.

It's a cool idea though. I'd go in for it.

Sephiroth
05-31-2014, 02:24 PM
So it's kind of like...it would be set over a MASSIVE time scale, unbelievably long. And (we'll just call them humans for now) the humans, in the time between X and VII, got into space, founded other planets, lived there, and lived there so long that they forgot they had ever come from other planets? (Maybe due to some massive destructive event.)

It's plausible, I suppose. One of the main themes of so many Final Fantasy games is the idea of technology going bad and destroying everything, thus why so many of the games are set in this kind of post apocalyptic world in which everything is run down and back to ancient times kind of, but with some leftover technology still being used etc.

It's a cool idea though. I'd go in for it.

It is nothing that unbelievable if we think of what Bugenhagen and Lucrecia tell us about being reborn. No one on Gaia remembers a life from before. There is only one person in the whole universe that is able to retain his self, his consciousness while being dead and being able to come back because of that and that is Sephiroth (the Cetra are similiar but cannot make a self-initiiated rebirth like Sephiroth can do with his Reunion where he just reforms his body and animates it with himself again).

Dark_Valentine
05-31-2014, 03:42 PM
:bounce: what?! I haven't really thought about this, but I think in the realm of final fantasy that this is could entirely be possible. However, I would have to agree with Shauna.

I think it's a silly little theory, and it's nice that the creators give a wink-wink-nudge-nudge to it, but that's all it really is in my mind. :3

Sephiroth
05-31-2014, 03:49 PM
:bounce: what?! I haven't really thought about this, but I think in the realm of final fantasy that this is could entirely be possible. However, I would have to agree with Shauna.

Final Fantasy is multiversally connected anyway - already shown with Gilgamesh's entry in Final Fantasy XII so some of them having the same universe is really nothing big and actually pretty cool.

Raistlin
06-01-2014, 04:01 PM
So what are people's thoughts on the revelation that this game is a distant prequel to FFX? Does it bother you,do you love the idea of it, or could you care less?

I just do what I do for most of the FFX games and the Compilation: ignore it.

Mirage
06-01-2014, 09:29 PM
It's just shit-tier fanfiction, except written by some douche at SE. I don't give a damn about it.

Sephiroth
06-02-2014, 12:00 AM
It's just trout-tier fanfiction, except written by some douche at SE. I don't give a damn about it.

The one who wrote the overall story of both Final Fantasys.

And of course SB's new comment in this thread just add more wrong claims.

Mirage
06-02-2014, 04:15 AM
yeah, that makes it worse, not better :p

I'm willing to bet a good sum of money that he was very drunk at the time

Mercen-X
06-02-2014, 07:35 AM
Ancients were described as a migrant people who traveled to settle the Planet and that one day they would find the Promised Land. This has always been interpreted as meaning a species wandering a world and keeping it calm (I guess) until "those who disliked the journey appeared, ceased the migration, and built shelters, electing to lead easier lives." If you think of them as a race that traveled from planet to planet, settling just long enough to study the solar system before moving on, it's possible their advanced technology could have been destroyed due to the arrival of Jenova.

Of course X has no materia as the world exists prior to the foundation of ShinRa which invented the process of crystallizing the Lifestream upon observation by scientists that the energy found in rare "springs" such as on Mt. Nibel could be replicated and "streamlined".

Ayen
06-02-2014, 08:17 AM
I saw it as nothing more than a reference and would rather it stay that way. I don't like the games overlapping into each other in the main entries. Yes, I know they did it with XII, I don't care. I still think it's stupid.

Skyblade
06-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Spheres as Materia makes sense. Materia allows the use of magic because it contains the knowledge of the Ancients. So the Ancients (the people of Spira) could clearly use magic without Materia, and Spheres are just Spheres. Repositories of knowledge, but not power. The Dress spheres were the first spheres to harness that knowledge to unlock abilities. Materia evolved from there.

"We've found a 10,000 year Ancient buried in a geological strata!"
*Insert Laughing Scene Here*

That would have sort of changed FFVII, wouldn't it?

But, yeah, no. I don't care what the writers say. It's a terrible retcon, and one I'm going to ignore. Along with 90% of the Compilation.

Jiro
06-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Connections can be made but they're flimsy and I legitimately hate this as an idea because it just feels like a crappy handwave. Oh, sure, materia and spheres, same thing. Oh, sure, Shinra learned how to use the Farplane, basically Mako. The spacefaring point is really good and it is connected with the Farplane-Mako stuff: for humanity to forget how to create spaceships, there needs to be some cataclysmic event (hello JENOVA) but why would we forget only spacefaring and not, like, how to use Mako. It's possible both were conveniently rediscovered by descendants of Shinra but when you need to use the word "convenient" you know that this shit is bollocks.

Pike
06-03-2014, 10:27 AM
I have never heard this theory. Vaguely interesting but I don't care about it really, as it does not impact my enjoyment of the game in any way.

Parker
06-03-2014, 11:08 AM
*skateboards into this thread*

youre all dork-ass nerds who need a better hobby

*kickflips down an 10 set* righteous! lol laters

Psychotic
06-03-2014, 04:28 PM
*skateboards into this thread*

youre all dork-ass nerds who need a better hobby

*kickflips down an 10 set* righteous! lol latersThat's it, no supper for you. If you continue you'll have to go into the Box of Punishment again.

Parker
06-03-2014, 10:12 PM
*nollies over ya post and into this one*

did you know rinoa and ultimecia both do wicked-cool bluntslides? proof. its basically canon.

*manuals away*

Psychotic
06-03-2014, 10:50 PM
I shall smack your little bottom until it goes pink young man.

Parker
06-03-2014, 11:07 PM
this is what

supposed to scare me?

this is something i would like, you big man you

edit: haha wait i just thought this one up

ive got a "head canon" for you wink wink ha ha