PDA

View Full Version : thank you, kind sir

Jess
05-30-2014, 09:19 PM
I think good manners are important. Please and thank you. Excuse me and sorry.

Are manners important to you? Are you polite?

I'm the kind of person who apologises when people bump into me. :jess:

I wouldn't dream of going into someone's home without asking if I should take my shoes off or not.

I always hold the door open for people... Even if they're still quite far away, so I'm just stood there holding the door for them for like 10-15 seconds. :blush:

Calliope
05-30-2014, 09:26 PM
Good manners are very important. I wish that more people said "please", "thank you", "I'm sorry", and were mindful of the concept of timeliness.

Parker
05-30-2014, 09:33 PM
I am super polite irl

Shorty
05-30-2014, 09:49 PM
I am stupidly polite to the point where people walk over me.

escobert
05-30-2014, 09:50 PM
manners are very important! always say please and thank you! also holding doors for people or letting them cross the street is a must!

Shauna
05-30-2014, 10:01 PM
I am polite. Even when on the phone and I have someone shouting abuse at me, I stay polite. It's the way I was raised. Doesn't hurt me any.

Kalevala
05-30-2014, 10:02 PM
I think manners and being polite are important. But I think being polite to a fault is a really common problem. It's something I've tried to work on. I had a conversation similar to this with a homeless guy the other day, actually. He said he considers apologizing when you don't mean it to be more offensive than being unapologetic.

Pumpkin
05-30-2014, 10:34 PM
Of course :monster:

Colonel Angus
05-31-2014, 12:57 AM
I'll hold the door so ladies can walk through. I let women get on the bus before I do. I always say excuse me when passing someone on the sidewalk. I guess I'm pretty polite.

My cousin's daughter, Swee' Pea (probably the cutest living thing ever, or one of them), always says Thank you, but she does it in her tiny little voice. She even says it when she should say "You're welcome." :love:

Dat Matt
05-31-2014, 01:03 AM
Try to be a gentleman.

I always hold doors open, I tend to say please and thank you often. I can be rude on occasions, but I tend to act this way towards people I know.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
05-31-2014, 01:20 AM
Most of the time I am super polite. I'm all please and thank yous and yes ma'am yes sir. Especially if someone is doing a service for me.

Unless I'm being a Marine. And then I am courteous to my seniors and tolerant of my juniors. Because grrr.

blackmage_nuke
05-31-2014, 02:10 AM
I say rarely remember to say please these days but I usually remember thanks, and I find it hard to say sorry for big things but drop it everywhere for small things. I hold the door open if I think it wouldnt close in the time it takes the person to get to the door or if their hands are full. Otherwise it makes people feel obligated to rush.

If im trying to get through a door at the same time in the same direction as someone else I let them in first. If I am trying to get through a doorway at the same time then who ever is going in goes second and whoever coming out goes first

I give the courtesy wave when someone lets me into a lane while driving even if the lane was wide open

Shiny
05-31-2014, 06:27 AM
I'm very polite. I make sure to take my shoes off before I curb stomp people. It's less effective, but they appreciate it

Madame Adequate
05-31-2014, 06:39 AM
Oh you better believe I was raised to be polite. Most things my parents either didn't care about or made half-assed efforts to change, but manners? Hooo boy if I wasn't the very model of manners, it meant serious trouble. The only thing they cared about more than manners was lying, but in that instance I just got better at lying rather than becoming more honest.

Fortunately good manners are a good thing to have for a variety of reasons.

Miss Mae
05-31-2014, 06:54 AM
I probably should be more polite. I'm always polite to people until I encounter evidence that they don't deserve it though.

Alive-Cat
05-31-2014, 10:25 AM
Smile at every person, please and thank you for everything. I hold all the doors.

At work there's fire doors that open both ways, but there's no handle, so you always have to push the door open. It's especially awkward when someone is right outside the door opposite you because you can't pull it open for them, but you can't exactly push it open into them. I always step right back and gesture for them to come through with a big smile on my face, then when I can finally get a grip on the door I stand behind it holding it open for them.

It sounds really dramatic when typed out like that! I think I downplay the whole thing with a kind of shy playfulness.

Bubba
05-31-2014, 11:02 AM
I don't think please is as necessary a word as it used to be. I would always ask nicely and as long you do that please is not really needed. Of course, thank you should always be used.

Holding doors for people is always good manners unless they are too far away. I get a little annoyed if some holds a door open for me when I'm still about 10-15 feet away. This means I have to break into a little run to accept their gesture. I know this is totally unreasonable as they are just doing a nice thing but I can't help it!

Alive-Cat
05-31-2014, 11:05 AM
Maybe you can play a game with how far away you can be and hold a door open. Spot someone really far away and then hold open a door.

Ayen
06-04-2014, 02:53 PM
It was imbedded into me at an early age so I always say them. If I see someone coming I'll hold the door open for them.

Jiro
06-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Holding doors is simple. It's always confusing when people do the reverse though. I never know what to do! :confused:

Formalhaut
06-12-2014, 02:54 AM
I'm polite to an absolute fault, to the point that I become a doormat quite often. Even if I'm slightly annoyed by a favor (for example: "Jordan, fetch me this", and they're like, nearer to it than I am) I will still do it regardless. My politeness directly correlates to my dislike of saying no to people.

I also ensure to have exceptional manners in homes as well. Whenever I visit a home or a house (and I have time to prepare) I will always give them a guest gift, as a way of thanks for accepting me into your home. Size and scale depends on how long I'm staying and the occasion, obviously. Like, I'm going to stay at Sam's dad's place in Switzerland for our holiday for over a week, so that necessitates a box of chocolates, or something like that. A simple few hours may be like a smaller box, or something. Whatever it is, it has to be something.

I say thank you, please, hold doors open, make eye contact generally when people are talking... I do have my moments of impoliteness, of course, but I strive to be as polite as humanly possible. I'd struggle not being polite.

Loony BoB
06-12-2014, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I'm a polite person. Like Shauna, it's just the way I was brought up.

Christmas
06-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Me too, I always ask before stabbing anyone to their death or robbing their house clean and eating their pets alive. :bigsmile:

Manners are important. :bigsmile:

Alive-Cat
06-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Christmas even has manners on top of everything else incredible that she has