PDA

View Full Version : Mario Kart 8!

NeoCracker
05-30-2014, 11:39 PM
Cleared out Mushroom Cup and Flower Cup with Wario and Daisy respectively, only on 50cc though, need to get back in the groove, though considering I've gone and scored 1st place in each individual race, maybe that wasn't necessary. :p

Twisted Mansion is my favorite of this games stages thus far, though that in mind I've only ran the 8.

I wish I didn't have to go back to work. :(

Colonel Angus
05-31-2014, 12:53 AM
Played this @ Target today. Man-O-man, I want this! (Need to get a WiiU first :() Played Mario Circuit track w/ Ludwig Von Mother Smurfin' Koopa & won. :bounce:

Dat Matt
05-31-2014, 01:06 AM
I've run through all of 50cc Using various characters getting 3 stars in each cup. There is a sticker for Miiverse associated to finishing a grand prix with each character so I am working through that just now.

100cc is a lot harder. The AI is a massive pain in the ass in this game, and they removed the Bikes with the sweet turning that were in Mario Kart Wii. Man I'd like to see them again.

Colonel Angus
05-31-2014, 01:10 AM
I've run through all of 50cc Using various characters getting 3 stars in each cup. There is a sticker for Miiverse associated to finishing a grand prix with each character so I am working through that just now.

100cc is a lot harder. The AI is a massive pain in the ass in this game, and they removed the Bikes with the sweet turning that were in Mario Kart Wii. Man I'd like to see them again.
Oh, man, you & Shauna need to do a Mario Kart 8 video! :omg:

Depression Moon
05-31-2014, 04:33 AM
I've been playing the hell out of the demo. Wish I could get a Wii U and the game now so I could also get one of those free games with it.

Skyblade
05-31-2014, 05:19 AM

That's a polite way of saying "the AI is a cheating &$@*!!"

The AI doesn't want to win. It wants you to lose. It will save up shells and hit you with like four in a row on the last lap. If you pick up the trumpet that can block shells, you'll get hit by lightning.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-31-2014, 07:53 AM
The only thing I've taken issue with is the lightning. Otherwise, everything plays pretty perfectly to me. I think this is my favorite Mario Kart I've played.

Dat Matt
05-31-2014, 10:57 AM

I was going to record my First impressions by playing all the tracks on my first playthrough, but Shauna's PC Locks up if we do and she was writing Ciddies Speeches. I might record us going through all the cups without vocal though.

The AI doesn't want to win. It wants you to lose. It will save up shells and hit you with like four in a row on the last lap. If you pick up the trumpet that can block shells, you'll get hit by lightning.

You're damn right. On the final turn of the fire flower cup I would get hit by a blue shell, and then two red shells. This caused me to be overtaken twice on 50cc and lose out on the triple star score ranking. This happened twice on the same course and I ended up having to do the cups around 3 or 4 times to get it.

Depression Moon
05-31-2014, 02:15 PM
I heard the game gives you the coin item way too often when you're in first place.

Skyblade
05-31-2014, 02:55 PM
I heard the game gives you the coin item way too often when you're in first place.

50% Coin. 44% Banana. 5% Green Shell. 1% Horn.

My experience, at least.

I actually wouldn't mind the Coin if Lightning didn't destroy it. It's great for recovery from shells, since coin loss is my least favorite part of that.

Nicolas
05-31-2014, 03:25 PM

I've cleared all of 50cc with Baby Rosalina, WaLuigi, and Wario, and I notice the bike thing right off. I'm rather upset about that. And yeah, the AI is just a dick... especially on those Rainbow Roads with no more railings. I could have sworn I've been hit several times near the end with the Boomerang, Green Shellx2, Red Shell, and Blue Shell on every one of the last races. It's terrifying to think of 100cc since getting 3 stars means 1st place in everything. I had to repeat the Lightning Cup because of that stupid combo at the end and losing out at the last second to Toadette. How I hate her.

Yeah. Coin is the most common item when in first. I've gotten a good assortment though. Green Shells, 1 Mushrooms, Bananas, the Horn, and a few Red Shells.

But yeah, other than that, it looks like it could be easy setting up friend-based online matches.

Colonel Angus
05-31-2014, 03:35 PM

I was going to record my First impressions by playing all the tracks on my first playthrough, but Shauna's PC Locks up if we do and she was writing Ciddies Speeches. I might record us going through all the cups without vocal though.

:onoes::nonono::crying:

Scotty_ffgamer
05-31-2014, 08:28 PM
So the game is great, but I just registered it through club nintendo today to get Pikmin 3. Went through all of that (the game is now registered according to the account), but when I got the page for Pikmin after selecting that one, it just tells me "sorry, promotional only available for eligible members" or something like that. This kind of sucks :(. I guess I'll have to call them eventually when I have some free time.

Skyblade
06-01-2014, 06:38 AM
Ok, I really, really like the racing mechanics in this game.

That said, the items are complete bull. The first place person gets either the Coin (likely useless), a banana (completely useless), or a green shell (not only useless, but a good chance to hit the caster if actually used). Meanwhile the people in the rear constantly get incredibly powerful, completely unblockable items like Blue Shells, Red Shells, and Lightning. And the AI just saves them until the last round (frequently the last round of the fourth race in a cup) to cast a dozen on you. It immediately cuts you down from 10 Coins to 3 or fewer as you get hit over and over, and your place suddenly plummets.

Oh, and even worse, if timed correctly, the items will send you off the edge (or hit you before you go over a ramp to jump a bottomless pit, with the same effect). This costs you double the coins and even more time. And, again, there is nothing you can do about it.

I like the mechanics. The racing is fun. But my gosh are the items complete bulltrout.

Dat Matt
06-01-2014, 11:38 AM

50% Coin. 44% Banana. 5% Green Shell. 1% Horn.

My experience, at least.

I actually wouldn't mind the Coin if Lightning didn't destroy it. It's great for recovery from shells, since coin loss is my least favorite part of that.

I think the coin for first place is great. If you're in first you're more likely to have 10 coins, so having a coin powerup is pretty useless. It;s harder to deflect red shells if you don't get items to block them. Saves people getting super ahead.

NeoCracker
06-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Green Shells and Banana's are both wonderful for first place. Use them to block red shells or to punish second place for getting to close with an easy hit but swerving right in front of them, or if you're a good aim knock em out with a green shell from a short distance back, or even use a peel to cover a shortcut. The only thing you're really at a complete loss against is lightning and the blue shell, but that's always been the case.

I've also gotten a horn and red shell in first place before, just far less often. :p

Dat Matt
06-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Yeah, which is why getting the coin for first place is a good balance. In Mario Kart Wii I would get tripple bananas, and stick in frist place forever. Now that you're getting that option less frequently it's making it harder for first place to maintain the lead for extended periods of time.

Skyblade
06-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Yeah, which is why getting the coin for first place is a good balance. In Mario Kart Wii I would get tripple bananas, and stick in frist place forever. Now that you're getting that option less frequently it's making it harder for first place to maintain the lead for extended periods of time.

If the Grand Prix modes wasn't built around staying in the lead for extended periods, it would be all right. As it is, it's just annoying to do 11 laps in first, and then get taken down with absolutely no way to save yourself at that last lap.

How do you get the items to dangle behind you instead of just firing them off when you use them?

BTW: I think Mount Wario is my favorite track. I love that it's not actually a circuit, and that each lap is different.

NeoCracker
06-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Same as all the other games, hold down the launch trigger. :p

Dat Matt
06-01-2014, 03:11 PM
How do you get the items to dangle behind you instead of just firing them off when you use them?

If you hold the trigger button for Firing the weapons you can drag items behind out. Any multi item weapon spin around you though. The banana's used to however behind you which was better

BTW: I think Mount Wario is my favorite track. I love that it's not actually a circuit, and that each lap is different.

That's a new setup that was introduced in Mario Kart 7. There are a few courses that work that way, but they are all pretty swell.

Skyblade
06-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Same as all the other games, hold down the launch trigger. :p

First Mario Kart game here.

Also, Time Trial ghosts are way too hard. :(

Dat Matt
06-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Yeah, they are representative of the staff who worked on the games. The scores are generally hard to beat, but they can be beaten by a margin in most cases. I'd given the N64 Rainbow road one a blast and managed to beat the time trail score by a second on my try.

When working through the game you'll get new car combinations that will work pretty for your play style. I'm currently using a car that looks like a Carousel, slick wheels, and the Plane Glider and I used Baby Roaslina with it. She's a ligh character with High acceleration and low weight, but this setup counteracts them and gives her a big speed boost.

Skyblade
06-01-2014, 03:28 PM
How does weight affect things? Some of the stats are self-explanatory (like speed), but others...

Dat Matt
06-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Weight affects how you'll be affected in contact with another player. A heavier play will knock a lighter player out the way when they collide. If Wario were to bash Shy Guy for example, shy guy would be knocked pretty far. Conversely if Shy guy were bash into Wario, he would not move too far.

Nicolas
06-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Do you guys typically try to balance your racers stats or do you kinda go all out and boost their best stats?

'cause with Rosalina, I'm set with the Flame Rider bike, the Monster tires, and the Parafoil. It's a good balance, I'm finding. Still need to unlock more.

Depression Moon
06-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Weight affects how you'll be affected in contact with another player. A heavier play will knock a lighter player out the way when they collide. If Wario were to bash Shy Guy for example, shy guy would be knocked pretty far. Conversely if Shy guy were bash into Wario, he would not move too far.

So heavies are better by default?

Dat Matt
06-01-2014, 04:05 PM

So heavies are better by default?

Every weight class has advantages/disadvantages.

Light - High Acceleration, Low Weight, Low top speed
Light characters are fast at getting up to top speed and staying there. They are good at getting back up to speed after being hit which is why I prefer to use them.

Heavy - Low acceleration, High weight, High top speed
Heavy characters would win a drag race against a light character. Issue with heavy characters lies in the fact that if they get hit by a weapon it takes longer to get back up to top speed. If you can maintain top speed and hold attacks using shells or bananas then you are pretty much sorted to win.

Medium - Average Weight/Speed/Acceleration
Best of both worlds, but not quite as good as the other two.

Depression Moon
06-01-2014, 05:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4V9oIeJrA

Nicolas
06-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Online is utterly chaotic. It's so much fun. So much.

Skyblade
06-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Does anyone know how much coins affect speed (or how much they did in earlier versions)? You do seem to go faster with more, but I'm not sure how much.

Also, do you get a speed boost from jumping off ramps, or is the sparkle and flips just to look pretty?

Dat Matt
06-01-2014, 06:37 PM
You get a speed boost the more coins you have. Definitely try and get 10.

Jumping off Ramps offers a boost when you hit the ground or fly into the sky. Do tricks often.

Skyblade
06-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Is it faster to glide through the air or get back to the ground ASAP when taking the glider jumps?

Dat Matt
06-01-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm not concrete on that one actually. Personally I like to hit the ground as soon as because I think it's faster, but Gliding offers the potential to get to shortcuts and cut sections of road. Try both and see what works

Skyblade
06-02-2014, 04:45 AM
I feel I should point out: Before I learned how to hold items behind me, I was doing 100cc races. It had taken me about a dozen tries to three star the Flower Cup.

Since learning that trick, I managed to three star both the next two Cups on my first attempt.

I did switch to a kart instead of a bike, but definitely I know the item shield helps a ton from the hits it blocked (also got my first successful block of a blue shell thanks to the horn). Thanks for the help, guys!

EDIT: I haven't been able to unlock any of the new challengers yet. I keep hoping I'll come across Greninja or Megaman, but no luck so far. :(

Endless
06-02-2014, 07:44 AM
EDIT: I haven't been able to unlock any of the new challengers yet. I keep hoping I'll come across Greninja or Megaman, but no luck so far. :(

That's going to take you a looooooong time (http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8#Unlockable_drivers).

Dat Matt
06-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Those guys are in smash brothers. I think the 3ds version will be out soon.

Skyblade
06-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Those guys are in smash brothers. I think the 3ds version will be out soon.

I know. I was just being hopeful. :D I think it would be awesome. We've got Donkey Kong Country levels, and DK himself (who hasn't appeared in a straight Mario game in quite a while). Why couldn't we have more?

Ooh, and Fire Emblem characters. We could easily get both Lucina and Baby Lucina in. Baby Lucina was in the game! She'd totally fit!

In more serious news, I did finally unlock all the characters (yay!), and I've reached 1000 Coins. Only 9k more to go to get the Golden Glider.

My current preferred racer is Baby Rosalina, with the Circuit Special, Cyber Slick Wheels, and the MKTV Parafoil. I honestly prefer bikes, I think they're more awesome, but they turn too well, and attempts to drift turns usually make me oversteer, and I have to cut back to straight before I can get the drift boost.

Dat Matt
06-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Sounds like you're moping the floor with us Skyblade, I've unlocked everyone but only gotten 800 coins. Unlocked all the characters though and I am heading into 150CC now.

Skyblade
06-02-2014, 02:01 PM
I'm making sure to three star every cup. Two more to go in 100cc before I can move on, so I think you're ahead.

The Flower Cup did take me forever without item shields.

Skyblade
06-04-2014, 12:54 AM
Several things I want to post about, but I'll start with a progress update.

My 3 star victory in the Star Cup was mostly frustrated by the way Electrodome played out, but my victory on Mount Wario was awesome enough I felt like recording it.

0Gygeh-Vdko

I had this kind of rivalry going with Gold Peach until shortly before the third checkpoint. Then my superior driving really pulled ahead. I had been holding on to the three Green Shells for a while. Then someone hit me with a Lightning bolt at the second to last turn (I think it was the Shy Guy, due to how fast he moved up after it hit). But poor Shy Guy ran smack into the shells I dropped, which was kind of hilarious. Victory was mine!

But I just finished getting 3 stars for the Special Cup at 150cc, leaving me with only four cups to go (until I unlock Mirror Cups). It was the most clutch ending ever, because Rainbow Road is bulltrout with how the AI works at 150cc.

d2AMkAWFQqU

Serious photo finish there. I just don't even... I probably only won that by like a tenth of a second.

So, I'm taking a little break. I've gotten 1900 coins, BTW, so I'm closing in on 2.5k (from what I've heard, at 2.5k I'll have unlocked all of the vehicle parts except the gold ones).

You guys may have noticed that I'm back to bikes. Karts were super helpful for a while, but I really need the acceleration, especially at 150cc with how bad the items get.

Now, on to more general thoughts.

I find myself wishing that there was a bit more to this game. The features they have are absolutely brilliant, but I do feel that they could easily have improved it. I'd add in things like challenge modes, completing certain races or portions of races with particular conditions, items, kart setups, etcetera. Similar to challenge matches in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but with racing sections. While we're at it, we could add in some collectables. For this, I was taking inspiration from the Tony Hawk series to add in little things over the maps, designed to require particular execution to acquire. This would help familiarize people with techniques, shortcuts, boost points, and so on. They've done this with their platformers, why not with racers as well?

I also think they need to make the catch-up items more common. There are too many attack items. This sucks, because it means that being in the middle of the pack is a death sentence. All of the powerful or AOE attacks are restricted to lower places, so the main pack is getting hit over and over, losing all their coins, having their progress halted, etcetera. While the leader only has to worry about items from second and third, tops. Sure, the Blue Shell may be feared, but it doesn't actually do the guy in eighth place a lot of good. If you can pull to the front, staying there is just generally about not screwing up your racing (to the point that you can get hit by a Blue Shell and still achieve victory by a substantial margin in most races). More items to boost progress (or make them more common) would mean those in the rear would actually have a chance to catch up. Instead, if you're in the rear, you're going to stay there, because there's this giant wall of fireballs, shells, bananas, and piranha plants in between you and first.

Dat Matt
06-04-2014, 03:48 PM
The items such as the mushrooms, stars, 8, phirana plant, bullet bill are all great catch up items, but you only tend to get them when you are really far behind. During online play I found that most of these were ineffective as a single red shell at the first item blocks puts you back into last place and it is very hard to catch up.

First place normally chills out if they can keep the lead. Block and occasional shell and keep the lead and your good. Thars why I like the coin item being common in first, should prevent an unbreakable lead from forming

Ayen
06-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Haven't touched it. The only Mario Kart game I played was the N64 one.

Dat Matt
06-04-2014, 05:38 PM
N64 rainbow road is in this game. That should be reason enough to get it!

Ayen
06-04-2014, 05:40 PM
If only I had a Wii-U and room to put it in.

Now accepting donations to move into a bigger house.

NeoCracker
06-06-2014, 08:07 AM
GOD DAMMIT I FUCKED UP RIGHT AT THE END AND FAILED TO THREE STAR BANNANA CUP ON 100CC! :mad2:

Dat Matt
06-06-2014, 08:22 AM
I got hit by a blue shell and then 2 red shells at the final turn on shy guy ruins on the 150cc flower cup. Dropped from 1st to 7th and lost the 3 star ranking. Was the wosrtbthing ever.

Skyblade
06-06-2014, 01:24 PM
I'm sort of hesitating before going into the Mirror Class. I had thought there would be mirrored courses at every speed, and I could take things easy with the lower speeds while I worked on the others. But apparently it's 150cc only. So I have to go through that whole mess all over again, with less familiar tracks. It's rather daunting.

Dat Matt
06-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Funny enough, I find mirror mode generally easier than 150cc for some reason.

Dat Matt
06-06-2014, 04:38 PM
This is probably the only video I'll ever post to youtube from the MKTV, but look at how clutch that red shell was from third place!

1jp7L_m0Vxo

Evastio
06-09-2014, 05:21 PM
I preordered the game and got it the day after its release date (thanks to work stopping me from playing it the day of the release date).

I've triple starred all 32 cups, defeated all 32 Time Trial Ghosts, and unlocked all parts except for the Gold Glider (10,000 coins will take quite a while to reach). I actually found that mediumweights/cruiserweights (like Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, and Rosalina) with high top speed parts (like the Circuit Special and the Slick Wheels) are really good for 150cc and Mirror (though you'll need to practice drifting and mini turbos a lot) since the top speed will get you so far you can get a huge lead in first and be able to avoid the onslaught of items the AI will throw at you (though you'll want a shell or banana in stock to protect against red shells just in case). I get so far ahead, that sometimes even blue shell hits aren't enough to get the 2nd place person in sight of my rear view mirror.

Also, feel free to add me and challenge me online. I'm Player¼/Fidesio.

Skyblade
06-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Also, feel free to add me and challenge me online. I'm Player¼/Fidesio.

I'm Skyblade12, but I have no idea how to add or challenge people on the Wii U.

Madame Adequate
06-09-2014, 06:18 PM
I want this game because of the facial expressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjHCpYR4zvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpxDuNFBVj8

Shauna
06-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Luigi is one mad guy. He's had enough of the endless mockery!

Skyblade
06-10-2014, 06:16 AM
Apparently my huge Time Trial problem is that, while Mount Wario is an awesome course, the Time Trial sucks due to the format and coin layout. Once I beat that I've managed to knock out all the rest of the 16 new courses in a day.

Dat Matt
06-10-2014, 07:41 PM
I'm stamp collecting just now. Just the koopa kids to go.

Edit - Done. 90/90 stamps. Gold glider is left, but that's something I don't want to grind out. Took long enough to get 2800 to get all the other parts, but that was through normal play.

I assume this will be something I get if I have people over playing the game, because it has now been shelved.

Evastio
06-12-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm Skyblade12, but I have no idea how to add or challenge people on the Wii U.

I sent you a friend request on Miiverse. Simply friend people on Miiverse if you want to race online (you'll need to search for them online with the "search members" option), select friends when you choose online in Mario Kart 8 on the main menu, and you'll be able to join any of your friends in a race if they're online (they'll have a checkered flag beside their name if they're online in Mario Kart 8).

Skyblade
06-12-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm stamp collecting just now. Just the koopa kids to go.

Edit - Done. 90/90 stamps. Gold glider is left, but that's something I don't want to grind out. Took long enough to get 2800 to get all the other parts, but that was through normal play.

I assume this will be something I get if I have people over playing the game, because it has now been shelved.

There is one stamp per character who wins a cup, and one for each time trial. Where do you get the rest?

Dat Matt
06-13-2014, 11:35 AM
You already have them unlocked. You start with 28, get 30 character stamps and 32 course stamps bringing you to 90 stamps total