PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo

Mercen-X
05-31-2014, 08:44 AM
I played the original. I own it technically (I have the case, but the disc disappeared).

Now I'm playing 3:A-Spec and I'm trying to get the Super License... has anyone played this? Am I the only person who thinks Seattle Circuit II is impossible to complete? Am I the only one who thinks Gran Turismo was programmed by complete and utter who worship Satan? I guess I was just under the mistaken impression that games were meant to be fun. If you can't experience the full package due to an insane difficulty curve, I'd say you're getting ripped off. I'd say I'm getting ripped off. (I don't even care about getting the Gold, I'll settle for Bronze, so what the hell, man?) This is why I prefer games like Spy Hunter and Twisted Metal. Sometimes, when I'm racing and I can't quite catch up to the leader, I just want to fire a missile at it. Aside from flash games, I don't think I've ever played another game that was as painfully aggravating as Gran Turismo. Of course, I suffer a bit of Gamer's Addiction which involves me constantly telling myself, "just this one thing and I'll stop" and then not being able to get it just about makes me want to break something.

Either offer tips on getting that damned Super License or just rant on your own gaming woes.

Endless
05-31-2014, 12:00 PM
It's just about applying all you learnt before about taking curves and breaking and knowing the track by practicing over and over again.

http://youtu.be/iKZwA6O6D7g?t=4m13s

Mirage
05-31-2014, 12:50 PM
I don't think i ever got the S license in GT3, but I'm pretty sure I did in 4.

Slothy
05-31-2014, 06:04 PM
The licenses are easier in later games, but I agree that the difficulty curve going into the S license is insane. I never could do it with a controller. Mind you, last time I tried was 12 years ago or something.

Aulayna
05-31-2014, 06:56 PM
9BQctAyQMOE

Best racing game intro EU

Mirage
05-31-2014, 08:01 PM
no hd video?

not gonna bother watching
what is this 2001?

Slothy
05-31-2014, 11:05 PM
Not sure if that's serious or not. I may have become jaded by online comments in recent years.

Mercen-X
06-01-2014, 07:29 AM
I actually expected a slew of posts suggesting I sell the game if it frustrates me so much. Don't get me wrong, I love the game if only for the sheer variety of cars it offers and, naturally, (as has been mentioned as a beloved video game feature across the board) the option of customization even despite the fact that is both necessary early on and limited only to increasing the car's performance (hell, you're not allowed to change the color of your own damned car despite it being in your garage? What the hell is with that?)

I've watched the demo for the Seattle track which includes the "ghost" of my best performance (which is 30s late), I don't understand what's being done differently. When I time my braking to match that in the demo, it doesn't give me the same stopping power so I can't turn as sharply as the car in the demo. Moreover, there's at least one point wherein the car slams into a wall at high speed. If I did that, I would be failed. It's primarily the first set of turns in the test hang me up: if I slow down enough to make the turns, I lose time, but, if I don't, I either slam into a wall or oversteer almost into a spin. After the initial weaving, I am able to follow the rest of the track without issue, but the track is simply too demanding. When playing in Arcade Mode, I have no problem winning races with Super Class cars, even on that track, so obviously, I must not have any severe control issues that would merit such tight performance... or so I would think. I'll admit there were two other tracks that hung me up for quite a while in the Licenses before this one. The first Super license test had me running a lap with a very slow car which causes the fact that it can easily spin out if you don't control it well to sneak up on you. The last license for the IA was this god-awful Complex String forcing you to traverse smaller and smaller hoops with a damned finicky vehicle that wanted to spin out whenever you went too slowly while trying to turn. I eventually passed both tests by a fraction of a second.

Frankly, when I think about the fact that I can barely pass these later tests to begin with, it starts to really grate on me how much further I would have to push to get Silver, let alone Gold. Normally, I would be a perfectionist about this kind of thing, but in this case, I'd settle for Bronze across the board.

There are a couple of words for people who don't like losing: crybabies who complain and give up without really trying and... whatever the word is for people who refuse to give up and keep trying until it begins to cause them physical injury. When I want something in a game, I tend to play to the point my thumbs blister over... I would likely play until my thumbs bled if I didn't have common sense. I don't like challenges that defy me no matter how I work and how much I practice. At this point, I don't give a rat's ass about passing the license test on my own merit. If I knew somebody else who could do it even to Bronze, I would lend out my memory card to them. That's how I am about real life challenges. If I know it can be accomplished in real life, I'll simply be satisfied to witness it. But I have to see it live. Videos can be edited. Likewise, I don't trust game developers to be honest either. I don't care if it's some Indie developer who sprouted up in an apartment adjacent to mine. No one is above reproach and I mar any development or achievement as a lie until I see it firsthand.

Ayen
06-01-2014, 11:01 AM
I own the second game. It's a lot of fun playing the arcade disc but I can't get anywhere on simulator. I can't even get past the first practice stage to get a regular license.

Aulayna
06-01-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm being deeply serious about that intro :colbert:

Mirage
06-01-2014, 11:51 AM
This thread made me play GT5 endurance races and it's eating into my FFX-2 time. This is your fault, Aulayna.

Slothy
06-01-2014, 02:00 PM
I'm being deeply serious about that intro :colbert:

I meant Mirage's comment actually.

Ayen
06-01-2014, 02:12 PM
I'm just going to leave this right here:

e701QHyCr0o

Mirage
06-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Turns out the endurance races were the only races I had left to do in GT5. Except the goddamn nascar and F1 race in extreme, because nascar sucks and F1 seems to require a lot more precision steering than what I can get out of a DS3.