PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Tactics vs Final Fantasy Tactics Advance vs. Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Wolf Kanno
06-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Yes, I am going there. So which is your favorite game and why?

Raistlin
06-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics. Full disclosure: I never beat FFTA, and never played FFTA2. But FFTA simply did not grip me as much or as early as the original did. Not only the great battle system, but engaging characters and plot. Ramza is the most criminally underrated hero in the FF series, and Delita is a great character that is so appropriate in Ivalice's world of deceit and betrayal.

Fynn
06-02-2014, 05:26 AM
They're all fantastic games, all for very different reasons. Making me choose between them is sadistic, but I still know there is one clear winner for me.

FFTA

Don't get me wrong - FFT is terrific and I may be a bit biased because FFTA was my first tactics game. Nevertheless, the game is astoundingly well written and no story twist feels like a cop-out (which, unfortunately, is what I think FFT had). I loved the races, I loved the laws (oh snap), and I Ioved the story to bits. And think it is severely underrated. It has an incredibly mature message disguised as a silly kiddy game, plus the characters are incredibly layered and human. This was the first game to show me really good, satisfying conflict is never black and white.

Pumpkin
06-02-2014, 05:45 AM
Tactics is my favorite because you can buy and name your own troops and also cool story.

Honestly A2 is my second favorite. It was a lot of fun to play. I just wish you could name your troops in all of them

VeloZer0
06-02-2014, 07:05 AM
I couldn't even bring myself to get past an hour or two in each of the Advance games, and FFT is my favorite game of all time. So tough choice.

Bolivar
06-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Tactics Ogre - it's the aesthetics and intrigue of FFT, the larger maps and combat parties of FFTA, and what I understand to be the game design balance of FFTA2.

If I had to choose out of those 3 it would be FFT by miles, everything about it just comes together for me. Still haven't played FFTA2 though.

Skyblade
06-04-2014, 12:30 AM
For writing, characterization, story, general aesthetic, and most other features, it's Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

For gameplay mechanics, it's Final Fantasy Tactics A2.

Wolf Kanno
06-06-2014, 02:01 AM
Tactics will probably always be my favorite of the bunch, it is just the most balanced for my taste. FFTA has a great story and cast but the gameplay is repetitive and oversimplified for my taste, not to mention the mission item mechanic wasn't thought out very well. FFTA2 improives gameplay with better variety bu a very lackluster plot and cast kills it for me. FFTactics just had the right gameplay and a very well written story about politics and the worth of a man's soul. :wcanoe:

Pike
09-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Advance > A2 > Tactics for me. I feel like these games work best on handheld and I don't give two trouts about the characters or story, I just want to play with tons of job classes and kill things. Laws (which I liked) and cute races are a bonus. FFTA fulfilled all those qualifications the best IMO.

I like A2 quite a bit but some of the mechanics changes aren't up my alley so ultimately I've gotta hand it to the original FFTA.