PDA

View Full Version : June No Sugar Added Challenge

Shorty
06-02-2014, 11:51 PM
Who wants to do a No Sugar Challenge with me? I have such a horrid sweet tooth and it's out of control. I'm making strides to go this whole month without any sugary sweets, desserts, drinks and what have you!

A month seems like an realistic timeline for a challenge. I've broken myself from sugar before and after two or three weeks have passed, I quit having cravings for it. Until that time, though, hoo boy it's going to be rough ;-; I have whole carton of mint chocolate chip ice cream in my freezer that I will have to avoid like the plague!

Who's in? :love:

Colonel Angus
06-03-2014, 12:25 AM
Is this just "No SUGAR" or "No Sugar i.e. Carbohydrates"?

Shorty
06-03-2014, 12:25 AM
No sugar! Feel free to do no carbs if you wish :love:

Colonel Angus
06-03-2014, 12:37 AM
I'm already giving up junkfood after I eat whatever is left of it in my apartment. I need to lose about 20-30 lbs (500 km for you Brits). So, outside of the Soda I bring to work, I am not having any cookies, cakes, candy, nor chips (crisps, again, for you wankers). Hopefully I can reach my goal by my cousins wedding next spring.

Shorty
06-03-2014, 12:37 AM
Good for you, man! Yep, this thread is my attempt to give up junk food, haha.

Parker
06-03-2014, 01:13 AM
i would love to have the willpower to do this.

i can cold-turkey cigarettes but giving up sugar is the kind of thing i would need to do in like a really super slow decline of sugar intake over a period of maybe 4 decades. i am trying my darndest to give up some of the junky sweet things I eat and I wish you way more than luck because it would crush me in about 3 days

e: also angus we don't measure weight in kilometers nice try tho

Shorty
06-03-2014, 01:16 AM
Yeah dude, I'm talking over some people on Facebook about it and I really and truly have a sugar addiction. I don't intend to give it up for good but in order to reach a point where I'm not craving it every day I need to go cold turkey and have it once in a while as an uncommon treat instead of part of my regular diet.

Formalhaut
06-03-2014, 01:34 AM
You know what? I'm game. I think these sort of things are best if you have someone else doing it with you anyway to spur you on and give you motivation - I'd gladly be that guy.

I suppose my only true weakness I can forsee in me doing this is my love of soft drinks. I really love them. I'm going to have to come up with other alternatives - I know there's Diet Coke, but I think I'd want to stretch beyond that.

I'm guessing natural sugars, like the kind you find in fruits and fruit juices count?

EDIT:

I have whole carton of mint chocolate chip ice cream in my freezer that I will have to avoid like the plague!

Funnily enough, I wrote this while eating some strawberry and vanilla ice cream :p

Freya
06-03-2014, 01:40 AM
Oh. I already lost. Stress makes me eat and drink more sugary things. Maybe next month after things calm down I'll attempt it. Good luck to everyone who tries it though!

noxious.sunshine
06-03-2014, 01:44 AM
I'm not a big sweet eater either.

I'd like to go a month with no alcohol but lol. Dream on, Alice.

Shorty
06-03-2014, 02:00 AM
Kc, the helm do you mean "I already lost"? xD start tomorrow!

Formy, natural sugars are fine. And I am terrible with soda as well, I can't tell you how much vanilla coke I consume each month.

Shorty
06-03-2014, 02:03 AM
My sister will eat it. How does ice cream get gross quickly? xD it's in a freezer!

Freya
06-03-2014, 02:07 AM
But I want sugggggarrrry coffeee D:

LocoColt04
06-03-2014, 02:11 AM
Something about the texture gets really strange the longer it sits in a freezer.This is scarily accurate.

Shorty
06-03-2014, 02:24 AM
But I want sugggggarrrry coffeee D:

Then allot yourself a teaspoon of sugar in the morning for coffee and naught else!

LocoColt04
06-03-2014, 02:29 AM
Who's in? :love:Sometimes I drink lemonade. Occasionally I eat a gummy.

This is the easiest challenge ever! Today is 02 June 2014 and for the month thus far, the only sugar I've consumed is what was in the orange I ate this morning. And, given that I doubt we're counting naturally-occurring sugars in foods (as opposed to "added sweeteners"), I'm clean so far.

I drink unsweetened tea and avoid soda like it's laced with anthrax.

I would not survive a no-carb challenge.

starlet
06-03-2014, 02:56 AM
I wish I would've seen this a couple days ago, I wouldve joined before I bought those 2 boxes of pocky o.o At least I've managed to cut soda completely out of my diet; I've been soda-free for over a year now. But I love sweet things, especially chocolate, so this would be a very hard challenge to do >.>

Shorty
06-03-2014, 02:57 AM
guys it's only the second and I'm just starting today xD Start tomorrow!

Slothy
06-03-2014, 02:59 AM
No sugar! Feel free to do no carbs if you wish :love:

After the first week no carb isn't very hard. But that first week? My god it makes you wish you were dead.

Shorty
06-03-2014, 03:00 AM
I can't do both at once. I would crack.

Slothy
06-03-2014, 03:04 AM
Its actually easy if you survive those first several days. The whole having no sugar cravings after a few weeks? You hit that for all carbs within the first week.

LocoColt04
06-03-2014, 03:12 AM
That is... a relief to know.

One of my employees is doing a no-carb diet (though she is kosher on artificial sweeteners if they are low/no-carb) and without any crazy business - just a vitamin supplement to fill the gaps and some suuuuper relaxed workout that is probably less strenuous than what I do every day at work - she's lost a bunch of weight every time she's stuck with it simply because her body converts the fat to energy instead of the carbs it would get otherwise.

I'm not "fat" by any stretch of the imagination, but it couldn't hurt to tone. I JUST LOVE GRAINS SO MUCH AND THIS STOMACH AGREES

Shorty
06-03-2014, 03:13 AM
Let's do sugar this month and carbs next month!

Carbs are going to destroy me. I can go without sugar and it will be a test, but carbs will be so hard ;-;

LocoColt04
06-03-2014, 03:17 AM
Well, next month is my sister's birthday and there will be SO MUCH ALCOHOL but as long as I steer clear of grain alcohol, I should be good. Fortunately I don't care for too many of the sweeter shots anyway.

Formalhaut
06-03-2014, 03:23 AM
Let's do sugar this month and carbs next month!

Carbs are going to destroy me. I can go without sugar and it will be a test, but carbs will be so hard ;-;

Eheheh... I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Sugars it is for this month! I can do it! Thanks for the challenge Shorty! May spice up my summer for a month :p

Shorty
06-03-2014, 03:24 AM
Let's do this, Formy! :love:

Formalhaut
06-03-2014, 03:27 AM

Who else is doing this, out of interest? :D

LocoColt04
06-03-2014, 03:35 AM

Who else is doing this, out of interest? :DI've mostly been doing it for months, but I don't know that I've done it for a month solid. Count me in. Sometimes I still crave ice cream.

Shorty
06-03-2014, 03:36 AM
Be prepared for me to voice all of my complaints and bitching in this thread xD

Freya
06-03-2014, 03:39 AM
UGHHHHHHHHHHHH

BEGRUDGINGLY UGHHHHHHH

I hate you.

Okay i'll do it.

I'm eating candy tonight though.

Shorty
06-03-2014, 03:39 AM
Okie dokie! Get ready to WORK tomorrow!

I am going to trick myself into liking blueberries, I have strawberries, blackberries and raspberries, and I have apples and pineapple on my shopping list right now!

Freya
06-03-2014, 03:41 AM
Work is involved in this? What are you? A mad woman!?

Shorty
06-03-2014, 03:41 AM
You don't think it will be working telling yourself to not eat sweets? xD

Freya
06-03-2014, 03:45 AM
Ah not really. I'm usually pretty good about it. Just not lately cause i'm stressing.

OH OH

Get almond milk, ice and frozen fruit and a blender! Delicious smoothies.

LocoColt04
06-03-2014, 03:46 AM
So, uh, Shorty... a lot of those fruits are like, extra sweet, and so that's still a lot of sugar. I mean, it's better than cane sugar and a hell of a lot better than processed sugar, but you should look at spacing those out!

Freya
06-03-2014, 03:46 AM
OH OH.Also yogurt and frozen fruit. and a blender..... And you get yummy frozen yogurt.

Shorty
06-03-2014, 03:50 AM
I will, silly! The blueberry, blackberries, strawberries and raspberries are frozen, so I can eat those at my leisure.

Ooh, almost milk! Great idea!

LocoColt04
06-03-2014, 03:57 AM
And it's better to satisfy your sweet cravings some way than not at all, because if you're craving something and don't get it, you're likely to not be satisfied by anything you eat (because it's not really what your body wants).And then you will eat for the sake of eating, regardless of whether you actually "need" to or not.

See, I hate dieting because I prefer to make smart food choices. But, sometimes, I decide I WANT to make dumb food choices (processed, fried, etc.) and that's okay too. I'm coming up on the end of one of those dumb food choice periods (work is about to get easier again, I'll have more time to prepare food, etc.) and so this little challenge is a fun way to get this kicked off.

Madame Adequate
06-03-2014, 04:14 AM
I will, silly! The blueberry, blackberries, strawberries and raspberries are frozen, so I can eat those at my leisure.

Ooh, almost milk! Great idea!

you do know that fructose exists right?

Shorty
06-03-2014, 04:15 AM
Guys, I know there is sugar in fruit. This is specifically an additive sugars thing.

LocoColt04
06-03-2014, 04:17 AM
Change the title of the thread to the June No Sucrose Challenge and you've got yourself a deal.

Or or or the June "No Sugar Added" Challenge!

Colonel Angus
06-03-2014, 04:19 AM
I should warn you to stay away from artificial sweeteners. Those things aren't any good for you.

LocoColt04
06-03-2014, 04:20 AM
I should warn you to stay away from artificial sweeteners. Those things aren't any good for you.And they're disgusting and taste like death.

Freya
06-03-2014, 04:27 AM
I like some of them. They aren't ALL bad. I like to put them in hot tea as they dissolve better than normal sugar or honey.

Del Murder
06-03-2014, 05:27 AM
Oh helllllllll nah. I would probably die. Good luck to you, though.

Shorty
06-03-2014, 05:33 AM
I don't use artificial sweeteners.

Del Murder
06-03-2014, 06:52 AM
I add sugar to my artificial sweeteners.

Shorty
06-03-2014, 06:53 AM
And to your cereal, right?

LocoColt04
06-03-2014, 06:55 AM
Only to his Frosted Flakes.

Pumpkin
06-03-2014, 06:59 AM
I add sugar to frosted flakes >.>

Really anything that isn't froot loops level of sugar you can bet your butt I'm adding several spoon fulls of sugar. This is why I stay away from cereal

Shorty
06-03-2014, 07:00 AM
What the hell shion :stare:

The only thing I add to cereal if and when I eat it is cut up bananas. Bananas in cereal is amazing.

Miss Mae
06-03-2014, 07:01 AM
I wish I had the willpower. I say as I eat chocolate.

Pumpkin
06-03-2014, 07:01 AM
Well that's really the smarter option, Shorty

Calliope
06-03-2014, 07:11 AM
I will think about this for the next day or so! However, I already don't eat meat, dairy or gluten, so I do enjoy my sugar-coated twigs and leaves! I do need to sharpen my wits before going back to school though, which means eschewing either sugar or alcohol is probably a good idea. Good luck, Shorty!

Shorty
06-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Thanks! I am also eschewing alcohol, but that isn't particularly a chore for me as of late.

If you want to join in late, go right ahead! Nothing wrong with sweets and stuff generally, especially if you've made other sacrifices or choices in your diet. tThis thread is just my way of saying, "Hi, I'm Sarah and I'm a sugarholic", really xD

Kalevala
06-03-2014, 09:01 AM
What? What the hell am I supposed to eat?

I want to do this but just read a recommended shopping list and started weeping.

Formalhaut
06-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Day One - So I've just woken up and having breakfast - no sugary meals to date yet!

Question: what's everyone take on squash? I checked the label and it doesn't look terribly sugary, but I don't want to drink any until I get everyone's approval. Besides soft drinks, I love squash!

Calliope
06-03-2014, 03:46 PM
I would suggest that you don't wait for everyone's approval before going ahead, especially in a thread where people seem to be bickering needlessly or being facetious instead of supportive. Everyone has different preferences, intake levels and goals, and everyone's body responds a bit differently to sweet treats. If it will make you feel better or like it's less drastic if you give up chocolate, cakes, cookies and soda but still indulge in a bit of squash every other day, then go ahead! If your goal is to forgo all added sugars for four weeks, then nix it. You're already having breakfast, which is arguably better than a lot of people!

Del Murder
06-03-2014, 04:02 PM
drink....squash? What the hell?

Shorty
06-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Squash is something else outside of America.

Freya
06-03-2014, 04:23 PM
I ate a donut already.

I really suck at this :(

Shorty
06-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Also, I spent some time going over low carb meal plans and such last night, and pondering over them, and I decided I'm going to give it a shot. It's a totally different direction for me as I've never gone without before, but I want to see if I can and I want to see what happens to my body if I do.

This thread won't necessarily focus on that, though - we're all about sugar here!

Miss Mae
06-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Squash is something else outside of America.
To make it more confusing, we have both varieties of squash here.

Del Murder
06-03-2014, 09:56 PM

Really anything that isn't froot loops level of sugar you can bet your butt I'm adding several spoon fulls of sugar. This is why I stay away from cereal
I think you might have a problem...

Crop
06-03-2014, 10:17 PM
I'd love to join in on this, but I'm already about 23 years in and going strong.

I've never had a sweet tooth, indeed aside from most weekends, I eat and drink very healthy. I think the last time I had chocolate/ice cream/cake/fizzy drink/sugar added to food, was probably over Christmas time.

I have a number of friends who are just like you though, Shorty, in that they find it very difficult to control their sweet tooth. Good luck to you and Formy both, sounds like you might have good game plans going in so I look forward to hearing about how you're both getting on.

Formalhaut
06-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Decided I may as well describe my progress as the days tick by.

It's the end of Day One - and nothing artificially sugary! I had a glass of squash, because screw it, if I'm not allowed soft drinks, I'm damn well going to have my blackcurrent squash :p

So far, this no added sugar challenge is going well. Only virtually an entire month to go!

Jess
06-03-2014, 11:08 PM
i can cold-turkey cigarettes but giving up sugar is the kind of thing i would need to do in like a really super slow decline of sugar intake over a period of maybe 4 decades. i am trying my darndest to give up some of the junky sweet things I eat and I wish you way more than luck because it would crush me in about 3 days

I would be crushed in even less than 3 days. I mean, I put 3 sugars in my morning cup of tea. I have to have a steady flow of sugar in my blood stream at any given time or else bad things will happen

Shauna
06-03-2014, 11:10 PM
We call squash diluting juice, which makes perfect sense, so no confusion with the great ol' veg

Matt and I have been trying and failing to cut out a lot of the sugar from our diet for mooooooonths. I do okay, but Matt randomly comes home with cookies and muffins and chocolate and I'm like :stare: really man.

Good luck! I will slowly whittle it down in my diet. Eventually. D:

Shorty
06-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Matt and I have been trying and failing to cut out a lot of the sugar from our diet for mooooooonths. I do okay, but Matt randomly comes home with cookies and muffins and chocolate and I'm like :stare: really man.

god my sister does this and the other day my mom just stopped by with TWO GALLONS OF ICE CREAM for us and I'm like what the hell mom come on

and then I thanked her and spooned it out of the carton into my mouth

Formalhaut
06-03-2014, 11:26 PM
I would be crushed in even less than 3 days. I mean, I put 3 sugars in my morning cup of tea. I have to have a steady flow of sugar in my blood stream at any given time or else bad things will happen

I remember serving teas and coffees to drunk people (who attended a club night on the University campus) with the Christian Union, and this girl asked for, like, 5 sugars.

I gave her 3, as I didn't want to contribute to any health problems. She was pretty drunk so I don't think she noticed. :p

Shorty
06-03-2014, 11:34 PM
http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb1do5WP0V1rdh9azo1_500.gif

LocoColt04
06-04-2014, 01:05 AM
I had some veggie chips (that's crisps for you blokes) and then read the back of the bag afterward and saw there was one entire gram of sugar. I didn't notice. :(

Also, none of the ingredients listed sugar, so it could just be what was naturally occurring in the tomato chips.

Shorty
06-04-2014, 01:08 AM
ONE WHOLE GRAM

Kalevala
06-04-2014, 01:31 AM
Would you be okay with posting some examples of what you've been eating instead? I'd like to try and follow suit.

Pumpkin
06-04-2014, 03:45 AM

I think you might have a problem...

:shifty:

Shiny
06-04-2014, 04:46 AM
Today I had a brulee cake. Good luck with your no sugar diets, nerds.

LocoColt04
06-04-2014, 05:17 AM
Would you be okay with posting some examples of what you've been eating instead? I'd like to try and follow suit.Sure! Now, I won't lie to you - I tend to have a fairly large carb intake, and that's something I'm looking at reducing this month while everyone else is working on cutting the sugar out first. I try to get my energy kicks from fruits and... well, a TERRIBLE caffeine addiction, but a lot of what I eat now that I'm backing away from fast foods again is relatively healthy.

I do partake in a fair bit of pasta when I want to feel full and need some carbohydrates to burn at a quick pace - I'm trying to follow my friend's "let your body burn your fat" no carb guidelines, but I work on my feet for 9-12 hours a day and it won't be an instant change for me.

Things like ramen (which has two grams of sugar in a single package!) will often get mixed with vegetable stock (which contains another two grams of sugar!) and I'll add in a bunch of spices and dice up some peppers, without using the flavor packet that comes with the ramen. Sometimes, I will toss the noodles in the wok after I'm done, just to brown it up a bit. This is on the higher end of the sodium scale, and it'll cause you to retain a lot of water (leading to bloating and eventual fat if not washed out of your system with excess hydration and exercise-ish), so it's not something you'd want to do for every meal.

I will also do a lot of cooking with tri-color noodles. This way, only a third of the noodles are flour-based, and the others are tomato- and spinach-based. This is a great way to fill up with a lower carb count.

Much of the time, though, I'll make sandwiches and use mustards instead of mayonnaises (ha, fun saying out loud) or ketchups - or if I want to skip the bread, I'll plug in the box toaster, and make wraps with sandwich meats and cheeses. Take a slice of ham (avoid the delicious Black Forest ham if you can, because it's got a high sugar content from additional flavor) and spice it up with some salami or turkey or something else, and break up some cheese, toss a bit of mustard and roll it up. Toothpick it, stick it in the toaster oven for a couple minutes, and boom - low-carb "sandwich" wraps ready to go.

I also LOVE salads. You can't make everyone like the green stuff, and for some it's an acquired taste, but I love salads with carrots and a handful of plain croutons. Use romaine and spinach instead of iceberg so you can get some actual nutritional value out of it, and avoid fatty or sugary dressings like ranch and certain vinaigrettes. Many times, I'll just use a dash of white wine vinegar (shockingly NO sugar (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/659460/2?quantity=3.0) despite the expected ingredients) and I'll squeeze a quarter or half lime (based on salad size) and add black pepper or Tony Chachere's salt-free creole seasoning (http://shop.tonychachere.com/saltfree-creole-seasoning-8-oz-p-21721.html). Now you've got a delicious salad that is packed with flavor and it's pretty much negligible on the calorie and carbohydrate charts. Shred up some turkey or chicken, or hell, grill a little bacon, because it's not unhealthy when allowed to drain off properly and used in moderation. Full meal, and quite satisfying.

Looking to remove sugars without necessarily straying from carbs? Making (or ordering) sauceless pizza is actually a decent way to do that. Tomato sauce has a bunch of sugar, and sadly it's not all just natural stuff. Alternatively, when you make your pizza at home, dice some tomatoes and cover them in cheese. It'll be like having sauce without having all the excess crap. Want it to taste more like pizza sauce? Add oregano.

I've got more where this comes from.

I live by a rather strict mantra of "Don't Diet; Eat Smart." Curb your cravings by substituting for similar ingredients, and you'll find yourself able to make better choices without having to hate yourself for it. As long as you are happy with yourself and your body, it's okay to eat enjoyable things!

Oh, and I get my caffeine injections via unsweetened tea. If I'm at home, I brew my own. In a gallon container, it's six bags of black tea and two bags of green tea. Tons of flavor, plenty of caffeine, and ... I don't think there was another thing.

Shorty
06-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Today I had a brulee cake. Good luck with your no sugar diets, nerds.

Thanks, somehow I've already lost two pounds!

Kalevala
06-05-2014, 02:18 AM
Carbs are my main problem, as well. I've come to realize that my sugar intake isn't much of a problem at all.

Shorty
06-05-2014, 02:22 AM
Nearing the end of the second day and still going! I've had some cravings, but it hasn't been that bad. I imagine it might get worse for a couple of weeks before it gets better, though.

Miss Mae
06-05-2014, 02:39 AM
I'm very impressed Shorty! You go girl.

Calliope
06-05-2014, 04:36 AM
Excellent work.

Kalevala
06-05-2014, 06:49 AM
Good stuff! As long as you can make it through the cravings it should be much easier. Keep in mind that it will, in fact, get easier, and you'll be fine.

Calliope
06-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Ugh, without sodium there just isn't any point in eating.

Bubba
06-05-2014, 01:40 PM
I need to lose about 20-30 lbs (500 km for you Brits).

Jesus Colonel, you need to lose about 310 miles? That will take some doing!

Good luck with the challenge guys and gals, glad to see it's going well. I'm lacking the motivation to do anything at the minute. Really need to get my arse in gear.

Formalhaut
06-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Don't forget about me! I think we're in day three now, I think.

It's going well. I mean, besides me substituting soft drinks for squash (the drink), I think my sugar intake is slightly lower than before.

I've never had a problem with my sugar intake as I don't have sugar in my tea, or add sugar myself. The only danger for me in this challenge is purely the sugar innately in products, so I've been checking labels more often to see the percentage of sugar in there, to make sure I'm not having too much.

I'm mainly doing this challenge to show Shorty support. I'm glad to see that she's doing so well!

Shorty
06-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Thanks for everyone's support! Still going strong. Been relying on mangoes when I'm looking for something sweet once day but other than that, it doesn't seem to be affecting me much in the sense of withdrawals.

Been tracking my intake on fatsecret.com and my sugar count for today is 13 grams, which is all from fruits and vegetables! :jess: Feels pretty good.

Formalhaut
06-06-2014, 06:59 PM
I hate to be that naysayer, but juice has about the same sugar (sometimes more) as soda. If you can tolerate it, maybe water down your juice to dilute it. Like, if you're having juice now and then it's one thing, but if you're basically just subbing it out for soda, you're probably not achieving much.

Still, good job on the effort. :)

Squash is meant to be diluted by water. It's in fact, mostly water :)

Formalhaut
06-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Ah, okay, fair enough! :) I don't know how comparable it is to what we Americans call 'juice'.

That's fine! I keep forgetting how different the terminology is!

Shorty
06-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Ah, okay, fair enough! :) I don't know how comparable it is to what we Americans call 'juice'.

Yeah, fruit juice in America is basically as bad as eating a candy bar or just drinking a soda anyway xD

Colonel Angus
06-06-2014, 07:52 PM

Yeah, fruit juice in America is basically as bad as eating a candy bar or just drinking a soda anyway xD
Ocean Spray has a cranberry juice that's 100% natural, no sugar added. It's pretty good.

Shorty
06-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Ugh, now I am craving sugar. At work I can stay busy and focus elsewhere but right now I just want to shove a massive piece of cake into my mouth.

Formalhaut
06-07-2014, 09:17 PM
It's day... damn, I've already lost count. What are we, day four?

No matter, my no added sugar challenge is going well, so far. Nothing really much else to report. :D You can do it Shorty!

Shorty
06-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks, Formy!

gah, the weekend was so hard. My mom and sister and I went out to eat yesterday and dinner was fine, but afterward I wanted to dessert. :( We went back to my mom's and my sister had ice cream and bah :( Before dinner, mom wanted us to go down to the Coeur d'Alene boardwalk to have ice cream the size of one's head (http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/PECSdw7dORaLovh2oqK2qg/l.jpg) (click at your own risk). I protested, and thankfully after dinner everyone was too full to do any walking anywhere xD

Somehow the weekdays seem easier, for some reason. On the weekends, I just want to be fat and lazy and stuff my face with fatty fat fat sugary snacks and desserts and alcohol :( I suppose that is the whole reason I am doing this! Still going strong, though. It has gotten easier as time goes by, though. I imagine in the next week or two it will be even easier.

Formalhaut
06-09-2014, 06:15 PM
It's day.. I give up on days. Anyway, whatever the day is, I really fancied a soft drink, so I went out and bought a diet coke.

Does this make me a bad person?

Matt_W
06-09-2014, 11:52 PM
I don’t have a sweet tooth and I eat healthy during summer so I’m kinda doin’ it…
I know it’s a challenge and your goal is to avoid any added sugar for a month but I think every once in a while you should have a little something (but keep it reasonable), like once a week maybe, just to alleviate the craving and also enjoy it, it’s sad to be ashamed to eat ice cream or anything.
Anyway hang on and good luck for your challenge guys! I always support someone trying to eat a little (or a lot) healthier ‘cause it’s so hard sometimes and I guess most of us have bad eating habits so let’s support each other :D !

Formy -> only good people wonder if they are bad people :p

Colonel Angus
06-10-2014, 01:24 AM
Thanks for everyone's support! Still going strong. Been relying on mangoes when I'm looking for something sweet once day but other than that, it doesn't seem to be affecting me much in the sense of withdrawals.

Been tracking my intake on fatsecret.com and my sugar count for today is 13 grams, which is all from fruits and vegetables! :jess: Feels pretty good.
Shorty Costanza

Night Fury
06-10-2014, 04:13 AM
I found myself a great substitute for soda in sparkling mineral water :) I sometimes squeeze in a little lemon juice for a zing lemonade :) it's good!

Kalevala
06-10-2014, 05:32 AM
Went to the grocery store to grab some sushi and decided to check out the nutrition facts on a local brand of fruit punch that I used to drink a lot of. 23g per 200 mL

Shorty
06-10-2014, 06:48 AM
Worse than coke products, jesus.

Kalevala
06-10-2014, 07:19 AM
You just had to bring up Vanilla Coke.

Shorty
06-10-2014, 07:26 AM
It hurts you more than it hurts me, friend.

Kalevala
06-10-2014, 07:34 AM
It hurts so much :(

Shorty
06-10-2014, 02:33 PM
I mixed up you and me. I would murder someone for a vanilla coke.

Formalhaut
06-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Ugh, don't remind me of Vanilla Coke...

One thing I love doing is mixing soda water with fruit juice, for the times when I really crave fruit juice as opposed to squash.

Really gives it a nice texture, and means I only drink half as much juice.

Kalevala
06-10-2014, 10:34 PM
I mixed up you and me.

Yeah, sometimes I think I'm you too.

LocoColt04
06-18-2014, 07:09 AM
Well, 18 days into the month and I'd like to think we're all (likely) coming along just fine.

I also started keto on Sunday, and the only form of carbohydrate I've been craving in the last three days has specifically been ice cream. But if I break keto, I gotta start all over, so... nope! It's not really difficult, but the stupid nagging feeling in my stomach is reminding me that I don't have 902735784325 grams of glucose and sucrose fueling my body.

(I don't even get to ingest fructose for another 11 days... wahhhh)

Bubba
06-18-2014, 11:39 AM
I mixed up you and me.

Yeah, sometimes I think I'm you too.

Both of you can mix it up with me any time you like ;-)

Freya
06-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Eating sugar and have lost 20lbs the past few months! My secret, I'm off steroids I had been on for the past 4yrs . :)

Nom nom. Sugar. Ice cream. Nom.

Keto is too strict for me. I cook for myself and the boyfriend and he doesn't want to do it and wants other things so yah. Doesn't work out well.

Shorty
07-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Okay, guys. It has almost been one month. A month of ignoring the mint ice cream in my freezer, a month of ignoring desserts at family dinners on Sundays, a month of saying "no thank you" to cake and sweets at company meetings, a month of no iced vanilla lattes, a month of no candy bars while checking out, a month of no treats for myself at the end of a long, hard week. It has been stupidly hard. I have not had any sugar, with the exception of a caprisun that I was handed at a doctor's office because I needed to down some crackers for some medicine. Other than that, been totally sugarless since June 2nd.

My cravings for sugar have not lessened. Not one bit. Just over the weekend I impulsively grabbed for some M&Ms before stopping myself and remembering that I couldn't eat them. I still think about it a lot. I still want it a lot. I do not think I will ever totally cut it out of my diet because smurf that. If you can't live for chocolate cake, what can you live for?

Though my cravings have not subsided, my self-discipline has increased. I think I can go for another month, and I'm going to do it. But before I do that, after tomorrow I am getting a huge slice of gourmet chocolate cake to feed my cravings just a little bit before going another round.

http://w2.fnstatic.co.uk/sites/default/files/pictures/articles/omg-chocolate-cake-7.jpg

I don't know if the second month will get any easier. I think I am just predispositioned toward sugar and I always will be. If nothing more, this has been a test for how well I can control myself, which has been something I've needed to work on as it is.

One more day and then cake! :hyper:

Miss Mae
07-02-2014, 05:26 AM
Yay reward cake!

LocoColt04
07-02-2014, 06:08 AM
I finished my two weeks of ketosis (since I was already mostly sugar-free before the challenge even started) and I'm definitely going to continue, as I've already hit the "weight loss wall" that you usually get a couple months into a diet plan.

The first two weeks, adhering to the "No Sugar Added" challenge, I managed to cut down from [all weight listed in pounds] 194 to 189. The second two weeks, adhering to a keto plan, I dropped from 189 to 167, 17 of which was just in the first week! I am super excited about trimming the fat at this point. Weight-wise, I feel I'm fine, so as long as I can just tone up, trim the gut, and exercise just a little bit (I get 09283258723 miles of cardio at work every day, but I still need to work my core), I could really care less where my weight ends up. I don't have an ideal target for weight, but I do have a pants size I'd like to get back to!

I've already taken the belt down a notch, so it's a start.

(No reward cake for me though... so proud of Shorty!)

Shorty
07-02-2014, 06:13 AM
You're stronger than me dude xD I'm so happy for how well you've been doing! Nearly thirty pounds in just a matter of weeks, that's awesome.

Shorty
07-02-2014, 03:22 PM
I've been eating fruits for sure! I wouldn't consider cutting fruit out if a diet as a healthy move.

Shorty
07-02-2014, 10:58 PM
God, this next month is going to suck so badly. I have been stricken with a sudden inspiration to bake and hone my chocolatier skills, and I really really want to do this but there is no way I can do this on a no-sugar month. :( Suddenly having second thoughts about month #2!

Miss Mae
07-03-2014, 03:24 PM
#ironicyolo

Aulayna
07-03-2014, 09:48 PM
I failed so horribly at this. Managed the first half of the month, then 2nd half I binged like cray.

Shorty
07-03-2014, 10:19 PM
I'll just copy what I wrote from my livejournal~

30 days of no sugar over. I lumped in carbs, too, and had a chimichanga for the first time in god knows how long last night with cherry coke and a delicious half slice of carrot cake. I couldn't eat any more. I really wanted chocolate as I'd been craving it all this time, but the selection of chocolate slices didn't look as delectable as I would have hoped. so I went with my signature carrot cake.

it was all delicious, but afterward it all felt heavy in me. heavy, and there was a clear and obvious spike I could feel of my blood sugar raising. it was the weirdest thing, I don't think I've ever felt that before. also, this morning, I experienced a weird phenomenon in what I can only describe as a sugar hangover, because I have no other notion as of what to call it. my head felt thick like it does when I've spent a night drinking syrupy or juice-y alcoholic drinks. I didn't even bother to weigh myself.

so that's it. 30 days of no sugar, no bread, wheat, or grains, and as few carbs as I could manage. I am struggling between wanting to do another month of this as I think it was incredibly beneficial for my body and my weight loss goals, but I also really have a strong urge to bake and play with making chocolate.

Shorty
07-03-2014, 11:21 PM
ahhhhhh I can't do it. I can't do no sugar in my life for another month. Hello, future caramel-and-chocolate-making self in my kitchen.

If nothing else, a month without sugar has helped me learn to exercise self control and discipline. I'm still going without carbs for a little while, though.

Miss Mae
07-04-2014, 02:52 AM
I hope you don't feel bad for deciding not to do this again in July! I think the process of doing it through June has probably made you a lot better at controlling the urge to eat sugar just because you can and will hopefully make the prospect of overloading on sugar less appealing. If you ever feel yourself slipping into the habit of eating sugar all the time again, you could always do another month's break then! In the meantime, enjoy your baking. I hope we get to see pictures of all the delicious things you make. :jess:

Shorty
07-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, Mae! I think even a yearly sugar detox might be helpful. I will most definitely post photos of the delicious things I make - I've got an entire pinterest board just waiting to be experimented on! :hyper:

Freya
07-09-2014, 03:38 PM
I think i'm going to try it this month. Well besides my bday cause come on bday cake. Otherwise yeah.

Coffee without sugar is so blah.

Shiny
08-15-2014, 02:22 AM
My stomach is hating me and it's inflammed, so I have to stay away from a lot of sugar for a while which is really really hard because almost everything has sugar. Can you recommend some brands that have no sugar additives?