PDA

View Full Version : Choices in RPGs

Freya
06-03-2014, 02:33 AM
I have become a huge fan of this, of where my choices affect things. Bioware comes to mind the most with this, as it affects the story directly.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT CHOICES IN RPGS?

Ayen
06-03-2014, 02:42 AM
I love them and they make the RPG ten times more enjoyable for me. I like mixing up my options in Mass Effect because I find it fleshes out my character. It hurts me since I end up lacking paragon/renegade points, but that's a small price to pay.

Bolivar
06-03-2014, 03:08 AM
I like how Tactics Ogre had very different scenarios based on your decisions, and further developed your plot choices with exclusive side quests.

The Witcher was probably my favorite rendition of the classic CRPG multiple choice roleplaying, at least for the first half of the game.

I also appreciate how FFVII's choices, while not affecting the game, did change your perception of Cloud, given the ambiguity of the script. He wasn't necessarily emo.

Colonel Angus
06-03-2014, 04:10 AM
Chrono Cross has choices that effect the game, such as letting Kid join you (miss out on another character), and saving Kids life (and missing out on both a great character & pissing off the most annoying characterCHA).

Pumpkin
06-03-2014, 04:11 AM
I am a fan :up:

Vyk
06-03-2014, 04:36 AM
It's nice when done well, but it's not a game-maker for me. It does help with immersion if you're playing a game where your character is your avatar in the story. But if the main character is a pre-made character and you're just playing through their story, I don't see a need for it. Though, if it's done well, I wouldn't argue against it. But it does seem kinda necessary if you build your character from scratch and then don't get to utilize them the way you designed them

If you build an evil character to be a douche, it's only logical you be allowed to murder people to get your way, or something along those lines

Wolf Kanno
06-03-2014, 05:15 AM
I like choice systems, though I tend to be more picky with morality systems. I love Shin Megami Tensei because the choices tend to have more far reaching consequences and the game never tries to strain your choices into the silly paradigm of good vs. evil, instead focusing on Chaos ( Freedom but suffering), Law (Security but with loss of identity) and Neutral (A balanced approach but one that always repeats the cycle of conflict) which I feel says more of a person making the choice than choosing whether to save the helpless people or shoot them in the face.

I also like how the CT game would allow doing certain actions could change the game in small and big ways even if not all of them felt like they were important to the plot.

I liked changing Terra's motivation by choosing whether to take Banon's offer to join the Returner's or flounder on it. It adds a lot of character to her.

Freya
06-03-2014, 05:45 AM
Yeah if it's my avatar that is taking me through the game it's more important for those choices. But I agree Vyk, if it's a premade character then it's okay to have less choices.

Although on the other hand I REALLY like choices that affect things. So even if they are premade, I still like playing it as how I'd act. I love the Taletell games cause of this. The scripts are pretty similar for the eventual outcome but the journey and all the choices are switched up.

[Freya will remember that.]

VeloZer0
06-03-2014, 06:21 AM
I'm going to go against the grain here. I actually tend to quite strongly dislike storyline altering choices in games. I find they massively cheapen the storyline and ruin any sort of immersion.

I'm playing Tactics Ogre: LoCT and I have to say I have about zero sense of involvement or care about what is going on in the story. Knowing that it's just all relative I just can't get involved. Each branch individually is probably something I would quite enjoy if it was a self contained story on it's own.

(Choices in game-play are fantastic though)

Freya
06-03-2014, 06:29 AM
I think if they are just thrown in there then meh but if it's written well to have those choices affect things, then I like it.

I also like romancing characters hehe so games that allow for simple conversations to lead to a romance, that seems more organic to me. Not just romances but friendships. I like that.

Del Murder
06-03-2014, 06:54 AM
I like how Tactics Ogre had very different scenarios based on your decisions, and further developed your plot choices with exclusive side quests.
Yeah that was awesome. Radiant Historia had something like that too.

I like having choices when you have the ability to go back and see what happens if you made the other choice without having to replay the whole game. The above two examples do this beautifully. In games like Mass Effect I find myself reading about all the implications of each decision because I know I have only one shot to do it and I'll have to live with the consequences.

Jiro
06-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Dialogue choices are annoying unless they serve a purpose. I don't want to simply select all of these responses when you could just tell me what I need to know so I can progress.

Karifean
06-03-2014, 12:57 PM
I like branching plotlines. If choices serve that purpose, I'm all for it.

Jinx
06-03-2014, 01:16 PM

Depression Moon
06-03-2014, 11:17 PM
I like ones that matter and can change the plot of the story. I understand why so few games do it as it takes a lot more time writing for multiple outcomes to a story versus one and some of these games have strict deadlines.

black orb
06-06-2014, 09:25 AM
>>> As long they are just for fun and dont really change anything.
Im fine with them..:luca:

Mercen-X
06-09-2014, 05:32 AM
Yes, I like choices when they have some effect on the larger scope of the game, even if just something simple like gaining new party members. I like Fable and Fable II. I haven't played many another game that involves really affective choices. Chrono Cross requires careful choice navigation to gain particular characters but that really isn't much. Radiata Stories, I believe, required some choice-making to get certain characters but I don't recall there being a game+ and then toward the end of the game half of the characters you put your blood and sweat into recruiting become unavailable. The one thing about the game I did not approve of. Ephemeral Fantasia, the choices you make don't actually affect the game permanently as the story loops every five days anyway. Suikoden IV has a couple of moments when you can drastically affect the game by either being stranded on an island or executing a friend.

escobert
06-09-2014, 03:35 PM
I like making choices in games! Just not in real life!

Psychotic
06-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Bioware and Obsidian are the kings of this and imho every RPG should be choice based. To an extent - I don't like the GOOD CHOICE or EVIL choice that Mass Effect often has, I prefer varying shades of grey.

NeoCracker
06-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Two times I find myself dislike choices. When it's between 'Save the baby from the well' or 'steal it's candy from the stroller and laugh at it while you suck on it's stolen lolipop', or when you're making these grand decisions about things to happen that seem like it will have a huge impact, but ends up not mattering in the slightest what you pick, and nothing seems to change as a result.

On a whole though, I quite like having choices. I would use this time to say how awesome Ogre Battle is again, but I have shit to do. :p

chionos
06-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Having options in a broad/epic storyline is good. Good storytelling that can't be diluted by "choice" is also good. It all depends on the context of the game. How specific the story is, whether the character you play as is "you" or perhaps instead you're supposed to enjoy the voyeurism of being outside the story and apart from it (in which case I don't want choices, I want to be told the story, not tell it myself).

Colonel Angus
06-10-2014, 12:27 AM
Bioware and Obsidian are the kings of this and imho every RPG should be choice based. To an extent - I don't like the GOOD CHOICE or EVIL choice that Mass Effect often has, I prefer varying shades of grey.
Would 50 shades of grey be enough for you?

chionos
06-10-2014, 12:41 AM
EDIT: this post was more naughty than I'd intended, especially with the totally unintentional misspelling of Colonel Angus's name. Forgive me.

I can't tell if Colonel Angus is offering to tie Psy up and spank his *uh-oh* or not. Either way, I'm all done with choices if this is what they lead to.

Colonel Angus
06-10-2014, 01:10 AM
EDIT: this post was more naughty than I'd intended, especially with the totally unintentional misspelling of Colonel Angus's name. Forgive me.

I can't tell if Colonel Angus is offering to tie Psy up and spank his *uh-oh* or not. Either way, I'm all done with choices if this is what they lead to.

LozKing
06-13-2014, 02:44 PM
In general, I like choices. Although I'm not sure it's always worth the time and effort it costs the developers.

And an annoying consequence is an ability to communicate your experience to others: "Wasn't it terrible when you killed Mordin in ME3?" Oh, wait. Maybe you didn't kill him.