PDA

View Full Version : Pronunciations

Shiny
06-04-2014, 04:52 AM
My co-worker is saying I pronounce "syrup" funny and now he's saying I say "cawfee". Nuuu! :(

Do you have an accent? If so, do you pronounce any things atypically?

Shorty
06-04-2014, 05:53 AM
I sound like a typical American, I guess. There isn't really an accent for the west, but Utahns are lazy with pronunciation and often drop t's in words.

Ayen
06-04-2014, 05:59 AM
I've been told I have a bit of an accent but hell if I know of what. I mispronounce things because of my speech impediment. R's sounds like W's and what not.

Yamaneko
06-04-2014, 06:01 AM
al-muh nd instead of am-uh nd which is baffling to some people in my family.

Colonel Angus
06-04-2014, 06:02 AM
America has a wide range of accents. There isn't really a "typical" American accent.

It's all geographical. Minnesotans & Dakotans have an Anglo-Canadianesque accent. People from New England have what is known as a "Bostonian" accent. Southerners have their own, & those in & around Louisiana have their own accent.

You probably don't notice yours, because sometimes it's harder for us to distinguish our own. What people consider the "standard" American accent is a take on the Midwestern accent. It's considered the most "neutral" in the business.

Kalevala
06-04-2014, 06:39 AM
Someone telling me they like my accent is always baffling. I think I sound very plain, while just about EVERY other accent sounds very interesting and has its own character. I suppose everyone likely feels this way, though.

I'm not sure how I would describe it. Anglo-Canadian with hints of the New England/Bostonian accent maybe, since I live in what is essentially the New England area of Canada just an hour or so from Maine.

That being said, even "Anglo-Canadian" can mean many very different things. There are increased hints of Irish/Scottish on the east coast. I know people as near as Ontario who think Maritimers sound ridiculous.

This is a pretty good example of how thick the accent can get. NSFW for some pretty vulgar language :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EDZMkrkGn0

Shauna
06-04-2014, 08:22 AM
Nah, no accent here.

Quindiana Jones
06-04-2014, 08:26 AM
ah jus kinae git wah ya bastuhds dannar oonderstahnd uhs

I would like to draw attention to "pronucations" and ridicule you endlessly for it. Har har har, "pronucations", har.

Bubba
06-04-2014, 09:43 AM
Some people say I pronounce Eggplant a bit weird.

I say Ohh-ber-jeen.

Dat Matt
06-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Some people have suggested I pronounce "castle" wierd. People in this very forum. I'm looking at you Mae!!;

Alive-Cat
06-04-2014, 10:47 AM
'Water' as 'whoowt-ah', and there are very little t's and h's getting included. This is typical South Eastern cockney kinda stuff though.

Jiro
06-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Some people have suggested I pronounce "castle" wierd. People in this very forum. I'm looking at you Mae!!;

What happened to the wierd filter? I really enjoyed the obnoxious wEIrd that appeared. :ffvisad:

Pike
06-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Combo PacNW and Montana accent, which makes sense because I grew up in both. I never thought my dialect was particularly notable, but this accent test I took had me pegged down to the exact city so apparently I do have a notable one!

Quindiana Jones
06-04-2014, 01:48 PM
"Pronuncations"?

ARE YOU DOING THIS ON PURPOSE? :love:

Shoden
06-04-2014, 02:24 PM
I have a (fairly weak in comparison to what you'll find deep in Newcastle) North-Eastern England accent called Geordie.

Bubba
06-04-2014, 03:15 PM
People need to start pronuncing things properperly.

Shauna
06-04-2014, 03:26 PM
"Pronuncations"?

ARE YOU DOING THIS ON PURPOSE? :love:

:stare:

I blame Shiny for double misspelling the word.

Colonel Angus
06-04-2014, 05:01 PM
British people are ruining the English language. #IWantMyLanguageBack

Ayen
06-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Shanuna.

Shiny
06-04-2014, 05:19 PM
ah jus kinae git wah ya bastuhds dannar oonderstahnd uhs

I would like to draw attention to "pronucations" and ridicule you endlessly for it. Har har har, "pronucations", har.

I knew someone like you would completely miss the point of that. If this thread is about pronouncing things strangely why would you think I would put "pronunciations"? ;)

I know someone who pronounces that wrong even. I have a few others: I use to say "upstairs" with a southern accent. I have no idea why this one word suddenly turned me suttern.

Alive-Cat
06-04-2014, 05:30 PM
It's completely not related to my accent but I say 'birthday' as 'buthday' or rather just 'bfffday'

I make a strong point of doing so.

Jess
06-04-2014, 07:54 PM
A lot of people ask me where I'm from, because they can't quite put their finger on my accent. I was born in the North East and had a strong north east accent, and when I moved to the south east nobody could understand me. So I adapted how I talked so people would, and it stuck... But I don't sound like I'm from the south east, either!

I always say daiquiri wrong. People say "dak-irry" but I always say "dah-keery" :jess:

Psychotic
06-04-2014, 08:01 PM
I have a relatively neutral British accent and you can't tell where I'm from. The only regional accent features I have aren't even necessarily typical to my region. They are the short a on grass, bath (rather than the long a graaaass) and the glottal stop on the end of certain words - in that I drop the "t" on words like "what" or "that" probably 70% of the time (though in words like "bottle" and "water" with a middle "t" I always pronounce it.) The former is a northern thing whereas the latter is a southern thing, so :shobon:

I definitely don't have the regional accents from my area. People from this area typically say "dunt" instead of "don't", for example, and "twalve" instead of "twelve" - I definitely don't do either and think they sound abhorrent. Likewise I don't have the Leicester accent or the general West Midlands (Brummie) accent though I am exposed to both.

I am pretty happy with it really!

Alive-Cat
06-04-2014, 08:08 PM
I have a relatively neutral British accent and you can't tell where I'm from. The only regional accent features I have aren't even necessarily typical to my region. They are the short a on grass, bath (rather than the long a graaaass) and the glottal stop on the end of certain words - in that I drop the "t" on words like "what" or "that" probably 70% of the time (though in words like "bottle" and "water" with a middle "t" I always pronounce it.) The former is a northern thing whereas the latter is a southern thing, so :shobon:

I definitely don't have the regional accents from my area. People from this area typically say "dunt" instead of "don't", for example, and "twalve" instead of "twelve" - I definitely don't do either and think they sound abhorrent. Likewise I don't have the Leicester accent or the general West Midlands (Brummie) accent though I am exposed to both.

I am pretty happy with it really!

You have a beautiful voice.