PDA

View Full Version : Literature written by celebrities

Shorty
06-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Please don't confuse this with "authors who have become celebrities from their writing" - different thing!

Have you read any literature written by celebrities?

I've had Steve Martin's memoir Born Standing Up on my reading list for some time, as well as a couple of Stephen Fry's memoirs. I read Bossypants by Tina Fey not too long ago, which was a fun read, and I read Anthony Kiedis' biography Scar Tissue some time ago. I've been meaning to read I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence by Amy Sedaris (as I am in love with her brother, David Sedaris) and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling.

What are some works you've read or would like to read written by celebrities?

Ayen
06-04-2014, 06:35 PM
I thought I read a book by Mick Foley once, but he wasn't the one who wrote it. I have a book written by Chyna but never got around to reading it.

chionos
06-04-2014, 07:47 PM
I've read Bossypants, along with many other autobiographies.

I've read several of the children's books written by John Lithgow.

Can't really think of anything beyond that.

Parker
06-04-2014, 07:58 PM
I thought I read a book by Mick Foley once, but he wasn't the one who wrote it. I have a book written by Chyna but never got around to reading it.

Foley was one of the few wrestlers who wrote his own books.

I don't think i've read anything by a celebrity other than autobiographies. Yea, Kiedis' is good. Gene Wilder's ain't bad but it was probably half-ghosted. I keep trying to read Bill Clinton's but eh.

Kalevala
06-05-2014, 06:04 AM

Mick Foley's books are really good. I suggest you check them out. I've read Have a Nice Day as well as Foley is Good. They're longer than they need to be, but Foley is a lovable, funny guy and his books offer a lot of insight.

Colonel Angus
06-05-2014, 06:50 AM
Foley's first book was great. His 2nd was good, too.

Jericho's first book was just as good as Foley's. I own his 2nd, but never got around to reading it.

Hogan's book, I think his first, is an absolute nightmare. The man has more trout in him than all the bodies of water on earth.

I also have Keith Richards book waiting to be read.

Tina Fey's biography is outstanding.

Colbert & Jon Stewart's books are great. Colbert also co-wrote a novel called Wigfield w/ Amy Sedaris & Paul Dinello a while back that you might like, Shorty.

Craig Ferguson's book Between the Bridge & the River is really good.

I've also read autobiographies by Charles Schulz, Bob Newhart & Nancy Cartwright, which were all good.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-05-2014, 07:19 AM
I'm currently making my way through Billie Piper's autobiography. I like it! Here's a little paraphrasing from Amazon:

This book starts with her very brief childhood and describes the very difficult times trying to balance the family life and expectations of being a pop star touring and performing for months on end. The personal toll of relationships, loss of privacy and her decline in health (she suffered from anorexia) is told.

It's definitely a very interesting looking inside the mind of someone who had to grow up early and miss out on a lot of things to achieve success young, and the effects it can have on a person. I don't read as much as I want, so it'll take me a while to get through the 368 pages.

Ayen
06-05-2014, 11:13 AM

Mick Foley's books are really good. I suggest you check them out. I've read Have a Nice Day as well as Foley is Good. They're longer than they need to be, but Foley is a lovable, funny guy and his books offer a lot of insight.

I wonder if it would be something I could find at the library. Worth a shot, I could use the fresh air.

Parker
06-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Have a Nice Day was a NY Times bestseller I think so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it. It's very good, very funny.

e: i heard his newer books are kinda bad but I havent read them. HaND you probably won't go wrong with tho

Calliope
06-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Ethan Hawke has written a couple of novels; I'll read those someday.

Loony BoB
06-05-2014, 02:41 PM
I've read both of Sir Alex Ferguson's autobiographies. First one was much better but the second one was still worth the read.

Miss Mae
06-05-2014, 02:43 PM
I'm currently making my way through Billie Piper's autobiography. I like it! Here's a little paraphrasing from Amazon:

This book starts with her very brief childhood and describes the very difficult times trying to balance the family life and expectations of being a pop star touring and performing for months on end. The personal toll of relationships, loss of privacy and her decline in health (she suffered from anorexia) is told.

It's definitely a very interesting looking inside the mind of someone who had to grow up early and miss out on a lot of things to achieve success young, and the effects it can have on a person. I don't read as much as I want, so it'll take me a while to get through the 368 pages.

This is the first book I thought of. I loved this autobiography. Really interesting.

noxious.sunshine
06-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews is just beautiful.

I love Gordon Ramsey's autobiography.

Chelsea Handler's books are mucho entertaining. I've read Bang Bang and Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea.

I've also read Lauren Conrad's L.A. Candy novels that are fictional but based on reality (aka her time spent as the leading cast member on The Hills). They weren't that great, really.

Kendall & Kylie Jenner supposedly wrote a book. XD I'm very tempted to read it. lmao