PDA

View Full Version : Little Conversations of Joy

Formalhaut
06-05-2014, 12:29 AM
So I was catching the bus tonight, and just, randomly started chatting to this guy called Phil, while we were waiting and on the bus.

It was a brilliant conversation, he was talking about his three kids, how he met his wife, his career, the concert he was going to on Saturday, all sorts really. I, meanwhile, talked about University, exam results, how I moved to Bournemouth...

It was only about an hour, but it was a fantastic conversation. I felt all sort of gooey inside as he discussed his family - I'm quite a stickler for nice family life, and as he describing his kids aged 2-8 (One's into football, one's into maths and science and the other likes D.I.Y), in my head, my mind made a collective "awwwwww!! I want that when I'm older!".

So yeah, pretty good random conversation with a stranger. Do you talk with strangers at all? What's been the best random conversation or most recent one?

Shorty
06-05-2014, 12:45 AM
I don't talk to strangers often. Not because I'm fearful, but I just don't care.

However, one evening shortly after I had moved to San Francisco, I went to a Peter Murphy concert at this little jazz and cocktail lounge. It was amazing. I went by myself, as I have done for the past few years, and it was super cool to just see this old geezer Peter Murphy performing his fucking heart out on this tiny cramped stage in this classy place.

As I was leaving, a woman came up to me with a man and mentioned something about being shocked at the prospect of someone under 40 at this show, and we laughed about it. We got to talking and headed to the bar and spent all night just talking away. She looked like a brunette twin to Jenny Lewis and I found out that her boyfriend taught high school and a special extended class featuring discussion on the social commentary of comic books. She was a nurse, and neither of them had married, but they had known eachother since high school and I got the feeling that they had kindof lived their lives and then reconnected in their later years, but it's very possible they had just been with eachother all the while. When he went up to get us some more drinks, she told me he was "the one," and it was super sweet.

It was just a really good, awesome night filled with conversation from a couple twice my senior. They gave me their names to find on facebook, and though we've never met up again in person, I keep up with them online sometimes. They gave me such a wonderful welcome to San Francisco when I was going through a really hard time and it was just the perfect night. They're good people.

Scotty_ffgamer
06-05-2014, 01:06 AM
I decided to go to the movies today, and as I was waiting at a stoplight just before the theater a lady in the car next to me yelled at me to ask what I was listening to. I had the radio on extremely quietly and I had no idea what the band was (I just wanted some noise on in the background really). I just told her the station and that it was soft rock. She was just like "Soft rock. Fuck yeah! Well, you have a fantastic day." And then the light turned green and we parted ways. The conversation more amused me than anything else.

I don't talk to strangers unless they initiate the conversation with me, though. That being said, I've had amusing conversations with people I didn't know on airplanes and whatnot.

Alive-Cat
06-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Oh my god. I was going to make this thread. Literally THIS thread. I saved in my phone message drafts yesterday, literally, this thread.

Well I'm just going to have to do the best post I could possibly do then

I was inspired to do this thread that was stolen from me when yesterday I saw this old dude on the balcony of the old people's home that's across the street from me. We greeted each other like the old friends we are because...

There was a boxing day party one boxing day's night about four years ago or something. Me and my buddy ran out of drink so we decided to go to the shop to get some more. When we walked out of my house, this old guy was hanging out on the balcony of the old people's home opposite, and he called out asking if I could get him a bottle of wine from the shop. I said I certainly could and he threw money at me.
We returned from the shop with the wine (I didn't take the money and never return god knows how many times that must have happened to him) and he invited us up. He then basically forced us to drink the wine with him, it was weird at first, but we ended up having a really good time and getting to know this old guy! He was obviously very lonely and it was cool to spend a good hour or so with him on boxing day.

Once I was at a train station and a really drunk guy approached me and said 'look the Indian place over there looks like it says icecream' and I was like 'omg it does'. It did. It was called Keraam but if you had drunk eyes and it was blurry it really did. Every time I'm at the train station ever since I tell the person that it says icecream.

I always make friends while out, it's weird. Whenever I go London to visit friends at uni and we go out, I always end up finding random people who end up hanging out with me for the night. It just happens, every time I'm out. I like it!

Formalhaut
06-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Oh my god. I was going to make this thread. Literally THIS thread. I saved in my phone message drafts yesterday, literally, this thread.

Well I'm just going to have to do the best post I could possibly do then

I was inspired to do this thread that was stolen from me...

Sooooorry....:(

Alive-Cat
06-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Sooooorry....:(

I just respect and love you so much more. I feel like my heart is going to burst out of my chest. Our minds are as one

Ayen
06-05-2014, 03:42 PM
I talked about finding your one true love with a drunken woman outside the Renaissance Festival once. I was the only one who didn't know she was drunk. It was a nice conversation, though.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-05-2014, 08:06 PM
I can't think of specific examples, but I've had a few conversations with strangers where within 30 seconds we already have an inside joke.

The best thing about it is when either me or the stranger has a frieNd with them that has stepped away for a moment. They return to the conversation, and a few moments later the joke pops back up. We're laughing, and the other person has the classic, "You don't even KNOW the person, HOW THE FUCK DO YOU ALREADY HAVE INSIDE JOKES?!?" look on their face.

Alive-Cat
06-05-2014, 08:59 PM
I can't think of specific examples, but I've had a few conversations with strangers where within 30 seconds we already have an inside joke.

The best thing about it is when either me or the stranger has a frieNd with them that has stepped away for a moment. They return to the conversation, and a few moments later the joke pops back up. We're laughing, and the other person has the classic, "You don't even KNOW the person, HOW THE smurf DO YOU ALREADY HAVE INSIDE JOKES?!?" look on their face.

You could even say they were...renting a condo :lol:

Shoden
06-05-2014, 09:26 PM
I get talking to new people quite often, usually its when I'm in a pub, either by the shirt I'm wearing or what I put on the jukebox I get talking to people about bands, songs, albums, ales, gigs. Its brilliant.
Things like that and people like that are all over the region, its literally how the music scene here has began taking form into something that's not mostly comprised of edgy 14 year olds playing screamo and breakdown-laden stuff.

Alive-Cat
06-05-2014, 09:35 PM
I get talking to new people quite often, usually its when I'm in a pub, either by the shirt I'm wearing or what I put on the jukebox I get talking to people about bands, songs, albums, ales, gigs. Its brilliant.
Things like that and people like that are all over the region, its literally how the music scene here has began taking form into something that's not mostly comprised of edgy 14 year olds playing screamo and breakdown-laden stuff.

Oh my, you're so far up north you even still have jukeboxes in the pubs! :love:

Shoden
06-05-2014, 09:39 PM

Oh my, you're so far up north you even still have jukeboxes in the pubs! :love:

Yeah man, we usually punch DJ's playing rap and dance all night :p jukeboxes are awesome because the ones in the pubs round here have a lot of songs even the most obscure prog, rock and metal and even extreme metal. That and we drink Real Ales here. :p and BROON ALE

Alive-Cat
06-05-2014, 10:03 PM
I suppose you wildlings only drink ale!

Shoden reguarly records and sends me little conversations of joy. They are very informative.

noxious.sunshine
06-06-2014, 03:50 AM
My dad is this uber gooey mushy friendly teddy bear whenever we go out somewhere together. Sometimes it's embarrassing cuz I can tell if the other person is uncomfortable or not or has other things they need to do and be on their way.

But for the most part, and especially with children, he's a mushy mush. We went to the store together the weekend before Easter, and there was a woman with her 4 year old daughter.. We kept running into each other, and each time, my dad would joke and play with her and chit chat with the mom some.

So finally, he asked the lady if he could buy the little girl a chocolate Easter Bunny. He was already getting a huge one for my Parker. She said yes, so he bought that little girl the very same one. It was like a $10 one, too. So incredibly sweet. My dad is that old guy in the checkout line chatting up other customers and then the cashier. He's the old guy that jokes that he's a retired truck driver to other people while pushing his buggy & says they need to watch out. He's the old guy that will stop a person in Army uniform or wearing a WWII/Vietnam/Korean Veteran's hat and say "Thanks for your service"... Without mentioning he was in the Vietnam War.

I'm pretty chit chatty with servers if we go out to eat if it isn't busy. And I've occasionay made friends over the years just by having random conversations.

Quindiana Jones
06-06-2014, 01:04 PM
I once overheard a 50-something couple of the Tube discussing who would win in a land race between a horse and an ostrich. Obviously I had to join in, because holy shit,

Jiro
06-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Having chats with random people is super fun.