PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play Final Fantasy Tactics Advance [And be really bad at it]

Freya
06-05-2014, 02:55 AM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luq8lsYtyF1r621gdo1_500.gif

I am really not good at all at Tactics games. Like royally not good. Like I couldn't be more worse at a genre of games. Heck, I'm better at playing cooking mama better than tactics games.

Well over in The Tactics subforum, I was asking for some advice on how not to suck (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/156980-Why-do-I-suck-so-bad-at-these-games) and where should I start when it comes to tactics games. They suggested Tactics Advance and to do a Let's play so they could edumacate me in how to be more betters.

So here we are! Tactics advanced! I have the game ready to go!

Who's got some advice x.x

Skyblade
06-05-2014, 03:19 AM
Well, to start with, you should press "A" on the "New Game" bit. The "A" button also cycles through dialogue and can be used for menu selections.

The first "battle" is really just an introduction to systems. You can't lose it, it will auto resolve and move you on to the rest of the main story. When you get to your first real Engagement, we'll be able to help more. :D

Freya
06-05-2014, 03:58 AM
I thought i lost it...

"this is an intro fight to tell me how to play isn't it."

They probably ended it cause I was losing so bad.... Those guys were jerks.

Me too Mewt, me too.

My first thought was "JUDGE?! CAN I ATTACK IT" Only entry I have played in Ivalice is XII and Judge's are bad in that one :colbert:

Shut your mouf. :mad2:

I uhhhhhhhhh killed my own guy.... i didn't realize there was friendly fire D:

Fynn
06-05-2014, 05:29 AM
Holy crap, you really are bad at this! :exdee:

But it can still be fixed :) Remember, the color of the background by the portrait during a battle indicates the side. Red is for enemies, blue is for your characters, and green is for guest characters who are fighting on your side but you can't control them.

Freya
06-05-2014, 05:36 AM
So I rezed him with a phoenix down, then the guy hit him and he died again xD

Fynn
06-05-2014, 05:40 AM
Well, don't worry ;) Under normal circumstances, there is no permadeath, so fallen characters are revived after battle.

Freya
06-05-2014, 05:44 AM
thank goodness!

I like the archer lady, she can hit people far away.

Skyblade
06-05-2014, 05:54 AM
Ranged characters can be absurdly powerful, especially with the more powerful weapons and abilities with them. Viera and Moogles are the best. Viera Snipers and Assassins have some incredibly powerful abilities, while Moogles get a host of excellent damage and status combinations to use with their guns (not to mention, they get guns).

That said, most classes can become absurdly powerful. There is no permadeath, so you can grind to be better than most enemies fairly easily.

Fynn
06-05-2014, 05:54 AM
Both humans and Viera can become archers. New recruits can randomly join you. So, if any one of those two races joins, you can change them to archers :D

Also, unlocking new jobs requires a certain amount of abilities from previous jobs. If you see a job you don't have yet on your enemy, you can check their status and view the job description (with select, I think? It's been a while) - it'll tell you what the requirements are :)

Skyblade
06-05-2014, 05:57 AM
Both humans and Viera can become archers. New recruits can randomly join you. So, if any one of those two races joins, you can change them to archers :D

Also, unlocking new jobs requires a certain amount of abilities from previous jobs. If you see a job you don't have yet on your enemy, you can check their status and view the job description (with select, I think? It's been a while) - it'll tell you what the requirements are :)

Or you could just use The Charts That Some Of Us Spent A Long Time Building For Everyone. (http://home.eyesonff.com/content.php/590-ffta-job-classes-progression?vbseourl=content/590-ffta-job-classes-progression.html)

Freya
06-05-2014, 05:59 AM

I didn't lose anyone this time! I learned I don't need to send everyone out into the fray, the long ranged people only need to be "close enough".

Wait... I read in the little thing you can get more classes but OH HAY CHART

Fynn
06-05-2014, 06:01 AM
One step closer to understanding Tactics games :exdee:

Freya
06-05-2014, 06:04 AM
Which are the best classes? WHAT SHOULD I AIM FOR?

Also I started this battle and I was like "sweet it's like two bombs this will be easy." then as it starts the judge comes in "trout there are four."

What's the 7H thing for? It hasn't explained that...

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Montblanc got sent to prison.....

CAST VOX
06-05-2014, 06:18 AM
Get the Ninja Support Tech "Double Sword" as quick as you can. It's worth it.

Fynn
06-05-2014, 06:19 AM
That's height. Might want to look out for that ;)

Like Skyblade said, all classes are awesome. My personal favorites are the later Viera classes like Sniper and Assassin - not great defense-wise, but holy crap, can they hit fast and hard.

CAST VOX
06-05-2014, 06:47 AM
Which are the best classes? WHAT SHOULD I AIM FOR? Blue Mages are amazingly versatile if you're patient enough to build them, they learn the attacks of monsters when hit by them if the "Learning" support tech is equipped. These techniques are incredibly varied, and allow Blue Mages to deal decent damage and inflict status effects at the same time.

For an offensive spellcaster I would recommend an Illusionist, their spells attack all enemies on screen regardless of distance. I would recommend equipping him with as many magic rings as possible, putting him in a corner, then putting a Paladin next to him. This will allow him to repeatedly screen nuke the entire enemy team whilst being guarded and out of danger. They wield the typical Mage equipment: rods, staves, and robes. They also have low movement, but that doesn't really matter, what with their screen nuking, and all.

For a support class the best IMO would be a Paladin that you've given lots of White Magic, this will allow him to do his job (Be a tank with defensive abilities) even better than a vanilla Paladin. They can wield rather strong swords and can equip heavy armor, making them decent at attacking if things come to that, but their base movement is as good as a Mage's (It sucks).

I would recommend Ninja for your main offense, their "Double Sword" support tech allows them to wield two weapons at once, and also allows them to attack twice. That along with their Jutsu (Which allows them to deal elemental damage and inflict status ailments at the same time from medium range), makes them decent in almost all situations. Their throw ability allows you to toss unused weapons at your foes from long range, they also have decent base movement which helps them close the distance on archers and the like. Ninja should have Thief abilities as their second tech choice, as their high base movement allows them to run like a French Border Guard with cleats and a coupon for cigarettes. Also, stealing doesn't cost MP and Jutsu does, meaning they won't put the Ninja's MP on double duty.

Pumpkin
06-05-2014, 01:06 PM
I give each character 2 job classes (or 1 for the leftovers) and then send them split them up in to teams which are mostly balanced as far as offensive/magic/healing and then I rotate the teams each fight.

Doing good Kaycee!!!

Skyblade
06-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Yeah, the "7h" is tile height. There are minor boosts to damage, hit, etcetera based on height. High ground is usually better. However, it also refers to tile navigation. A character trying to move from a 3h tile to a 7h tile needs at least 4 Jump (7 minus 3) in order to move between those tiles.

Also, if the height gap is too big, you won't be able to target the adjacent tile at all (which is why you can't melee people from atop cliffs). Ranged attacks tend to be immune to this, but the terrain itself can block a shot, depending on how the flight path of the projectile goes. If an Archer is trying to shoot up the side of a cliff, they won't be able to give the arrow enough loft to reach over the top, and the shot will always be blocked. This is the one time the game's hit % is completely inaccurate, because it never warns you of blocked shots. You have to get used to what you can hit.

Viera Assassins are the most easily broken class in the game. They are the fastest class (which is huge), and they have excellent stats all the way around in everything else. They also get a huge array of insanely powerful abilities, and access to Greatbows for huge range. You'll want to give them Concentrate (eventually learnable by Archers once you find the right bow) as a Support Ability, and probably Sniper Abilities as their secondary command. But they are absurdly easy to overpower.

The second most easily broken is Gunners. A gun-toting Moogle, especially with Ultima Charge from the Mog Knight class, can eliminate most threats from eight tiles away. Combine this with things like Stop Shot, Charm Shot, etcetera (BTW, almost all abilities that use weapon range also ignore height blocking, so you can fire Shots straight through cliffs and walls), and you have a class that can ruin everything.

The third most easily broken is Hunters, the advanced Archer available to humans. Sidewinder utterly destroys monsters, and they get access to Greatbows, a free AOE attack, and Ultima Shot. Basically the same as a Gunner, but not quite the range.

Finally, Morphers and Blue Mages are incredibly powerful, but take a lot of dedication to get there. Nothing can really compete with these guys at full power, if you can get your units to that point.

Pike
06-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Fun way to get silly amounts of experience in this game: Kill a monster, rez him, rinse, repeat.

Skyblade
06-10-2014, 01:34 AM
I prefer the Smile-Tossing Jugglers, myself.

Two Jugglers (or any Moogle with Acrobatics as a secondary command) just spam Smile Toss at each other. It's essentially Quicken, making the target act instantly. Only it costs nothing. With the way Exp works in this game, you can just spam it back and forth between two Moogles for 10 Exp a round, and no one else will ever get to move. You can get to level 50 in a single fight if you're patient enough.

Jiro
06-10-2014, 01:04 PM
I really like throwing snowballs at Mewt at the beginning. It really sets the scene for the antagonism throughout the game.