PDA

View Full Version : Crash Bandicoot (Series)

Ayen
06-06-2014, 10:19 PM
I noticed there wasn't a topic dedicated to Crash Bandicoot, so I decided to rectify this grave injustice by bringing up Naughty Dog's favorite Bandicoot! And I know there are Crash fans among you! I've seen you lurking in the shadows o.o

I was introduced to the franchise through Crash 2 (always with the 2's) Cortex Strikes Back! It was frigging awesome! My next Crash games after that would be the first one and the third one. Then I played Crash Racing and the fighting game, and that's where my Crash Bandicoot experience ends. I haven't played any of the newer games and haven't heard anything good about them either.

Talk about your Crash Bandicoot experiences here!

Shauna
06-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Crash 1-3 and CTR were amazing. Crash Bash was a pretty fun party game. The rest have been mediocre and make me cry.

Ayen
06-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Crash Bash was a party game?

Oh, right. Bash...

Shauna
06-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Well, it seemed pretty party game-ish with a bunch of random minigames and stuff. I dunno if it went beyond two players, because I never had a multitap.

Dat Matt
06-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Never played one, except with playing a few from a few times at my cousins.

That and crash team racing at Bobs recently, which I rocked (minus Shauna wooping everyone's ass)

Ayen
06-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Shauna represent! Now go and play the first three Crash games for the PlayStation, Mr. Shauna.

What ever happened to that female bandicoot you go to rescue in the first game? She was a big deal in the first one, you rescue her, and then she disappears forever and Crash suddenly has a sister. WTF, man?

Shauna
06-06-2014, 10:55 PM
It was uh, probably because Tawna Bandicoot was too sexy for the target audience.

Also

It was explained on Naughty Dog's old website that her general disappearance in the series was due to her leaving Crash for Pinstripe Potoroo not long after the events of the first game, although it isn't known if this was written jokingly.

Ayen
06-06-2014, 10:59 PM
I travel three islands to save your ass and you leave me for a Potoroo?

Why I outta...!

Depression Moon
06-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Played a lil bit of the first one when I was a child ad I had Crash Bash.

Mercen-X
06-06-2014, 11:00 PM
I only ever played Crash as a demo when my cousin got her PlayStation for the first time. I don't really like scrolling games.

Scotty_ffgamer
06-07-2014, 05:47 AM
I've played all of the crash trilogy. I was introduced to the games with Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped, which was my favorite for the longest time. Nowadays I like the first two better, though.

Pumpkin
06-07-2014, 05:48 AM
I played one of the earlier ones. Was much fun, would play again

maybee
06-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Crash 1- never completed, got up to the second world, before getting too frustrated because of the lack of save feature.

Crash 2- completed like a zillion times. downloaded on psp, still play to this day.

Crash 3- completed it a few times.

CTR- downloaded on psp, still play to this day.

Crash 4- completed it about twice.

Bubba
06-07-2014, 02:55 PM
I've only ever played the first one but it was excellent. Never actually completed the smurfer though. I've got it downloaded for my Vita so I should really get on that at some point!

Karifean
06-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Crash Bandicoot is pretty great. Crash 2 was my childhood so I might be a bit biased, but it is still my favorite 3D Platformer, if not platformer in general, to date. I love Crash 3 just as much and I've actually gotten all 30 Platinum relics once. That took a lot of time investment.

I played Crash 2 and 3 too many times to count. I never played Team Racing or Bash because we never had them :mad:, nor did I play the first game until just a few years ago thanks to PSN. I didn't complete it though, just like maybee, I was frustrated with the lack of save points and when I had to redo a couple levels multiple times, it was too much.

I did play Crash 4 (Wrath of Cortex) and 5 (Twinsanity) and I'd say they're both still worth playing. Crash 4 still has the same layout and basic feel of the original Crash games, although the level design and difficulty aren't nearly as good. I also never got the final Platinum relic on what I believe was the second underwater level.

Twinsanity feels different in many ways, but it's still good. Its level design is quite good, although the level layout can be pretty confusing at times. A few times I ended up replaying parts of the story because I took a wrong turn. I also like the secret gems in that game, most of them are well-placed and not too cryptically hidden. Last but not least, the soundtrack is freaking awesome. Not necessarily because it's that great music, but because it's entirely acapella. It's wonderful.

Ayen
06-07-2014, 05:50 PM
I've played all of the crash trilogy. I was introduced to the games with Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped, which was my favorite for the longest time. Nowadays I like the first two better, though.

Scotty continues to know what is up.

I played one of the earlier ones. Was much fun, would play again

Come over to my house, I still have the first one.

Crash 1- never completed, got up to the second world, before getting too frustrated because of the lack of save feature.

I feel your pain, man. I don't know who thought it'd be a clever idea to make you only able to save if you complete a bonus stage (which some of the levels don't even have!), but they need to be repeatedly punched in the face. I never had the means to look up any of the passwords since this was before I had internet.

I've only ever played the first one but it was excellent. Never actually completed the smurfer though. I've got it downloaded for my Vita so I should really get on that at some point!

The first game is probably the hardest of all of them. I was swearing like the Angry Video Game Nerd the closer I got to the end.

Crash Bandicoot is pretty great. Crash 2 was my childhood

Karifean had an awesome childhood, just saying.

Bolivar
06-07-2014, 10:13 PM
I only played a bit of the original trilogy, CTR was more my thing, plugging in the multitap and people bringing controls to duke it out on our tiny little quarters of the screen.

I like in Uncharted when Naughty Dog pays homage to crash, fixing the camera and having Drake run for his life like a Bandicoot.

Mo-Nercy
06-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Crash 2 and 3 are my favourites. Polar and Pura stages ftw. I only played Crash 1 after these two, so I was a bit disappointed by it. The jump mechanic is a bit less fluid, just noticable enough to trip me up. And some stages were just downright hard.

But CTR really shone for me in my childhood. I loved that game so much and did everything in it several times over (except try out different characters, because Coco).

Ayen
06-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Crash 2 and 3 are my favourites. Polar and Pura stages ftw. I only played Crash 1 after these two, so I was a bit disappointed by it. The jump mechanic is a bit less fluid, just noticable enough to trip me up. And some stages were just downright hard.

But CTR really shone for me in my childhood. I loved that game so much and did everything in it several times over (except try out different characters, because Coco).

The Polar and Pura stages were awesome!

And yeah, the first game can be a little jarring if you go to it after playing either 2 or 3. I'd imagine double so with 3.

With games like CTR and Crash Bash, it felt like either Naughty Dog or Sony was trying to make Crash the PlayStation equivalent to Mario and Sonic respectively, even though Crash Bandicoot was never technically a PlayStation exclusive. I kind of wished it was and Naughty Dog never moved on from it, although that seems to be Naughty Dog thing. Make three games and then move on. Unless I'm mistaken.

Anyone else feel this way?

Jiro
06-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Man, Crash was my jam. WOOMBADAH.

krissy
06-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Chen cheabu Chen Chen, weeeah!

Bolivar
06-09-2014, 12:59 PM
With games like CTR and Crash Bash, it felt like either Naughty Dog or Sony was trying to make Crash the PlayStation equivalent to Mario and Sonic respectively, even though Crash Bandicoot was never technically a PlayStation exclusive. I kind of wished it was and Naughty Dog never moved on from it, although that seems to be Naughty Dog thing. Make three games and then move on. Unless I'm mistaken.

Anyone else feel this way?

On the one hand it is a shame that they never acquired the IP. Crash's absence was a big reason to write off that PlayStation crossover fighter they did a few years ago.

But on the other hand, one of PlayStation greatest strengths is how their first party studios largely work on new IPs every generation. I was never a big fan of their internal devs until last gen, where third party largely stagnated in my eyes, so it made a big impact when the PlayStation teams really stepped it up with fresh franchises. When I look back at last gen I'll always remember it for titles like Infamous, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Heavy Rain and such.

I know Vivi and I were both surprised when they announced Uncharted 4. They've already achieved everything there was to do with the Uncharted formula and I largely feel the same way about Crash. I'm glad that they kept moving on to new things instead.