PDA

View Full Version : The 5th Sense - ESPN

Night Fury
06-07-2014, 02:37 PM
This isn't actually about ESPN guys. Sorry!

http://31.media.tumblr.com/28fc7fb941d2622f243d6071337e2446/tumblr_mgh82gCEU01rmplzko1_500.gif

This is actually about the 'Sixth Sense'.

Do you believe in it? Do you have it?

It's hard to actually define the sixth sense.... (extrasensory perception) I've read it as our ability to perceive an unseen world. I would love for this to be true. I don't think it's as cut and dry as being able to see the future and stuff, but I think it can certainly be as subtle as being able to pick up emotions in places. I think everyone probably has a really odd story from their life which might have made them question everything.

Like, yes, science and stuff. But isn't it just a fun idea that there's something else going on?

What are your experiences with the sixth sense?

also, inb4 I SEE DEAD PEOPLE yes okay! :)

Parker
06-07-2014, 03:09 PM
No, there is no such thing as ESP.

When you get that "feeling" it's a combination of many factors and 9/10 times the "feeling" is wrong anyway.

Of course, when that feeling is right, you remember it. You tell your friends "you know I had a feeling this would happen!" and they go "wow" and it is something to talk about over tea and biscuits but it is just coincidence. And, of course, when you're wrong you just forget all about it.

Mirage
06-07-2014, 05:51 PM
It's hard to actually define the sixth sense.... (extrasensory perception) I've read it as our ability to perceive an unseen world.So, hearing in the dark?

We have a ton of senses in additional to the five most people commonly think of as "all our senses", but neither of them detect the supernatural. Picking up emotions in places sounds like you're just subconsciously reading other people's body language.

I have never really experienced anything that I thought was of supernatural origin, although I have experienced a lot of things that I myself couldn't tell what was, or why happened.

And what parker is explainin is something called... i forgot the name, but it's actually really common. It's the same thing that makes some people always remember the times they get a red light right as they get to an intersection and think/say "god damn, this always happens" while at the same time forgetting about the 3242304809234 times they got to an intersection and didn't get a red light. This is because having a green light during the entire sequence from when you see the light to you're past the intersection doesn't usually trigger a lot of emotions or require any additional actions, you just continue doing what you did anyway, while getting a red light invokes negative emotions because you for example could get delayed and forces you to respond physically by braking, and therefore is remembered a lot more easily.

It literally happens all the time, even to those who are aware of how it works (like me).

Ayen
06-07-2014, 06:05 PM
I never gave it much thought, to tell the truth, and I can't think of any instances in my life that could be explained through a sixth sense. The only sixth sense in my life is a film starring Bruce Willis.

Newmani
06-07-2014, 06:13 PM
I'd be lying if I said I didn't have one. It's sorta hard to attract demons without one.

As for which TYPE of ESP I do have it's less a premonition ability and more an ability to sense things most others aren't capable of, like the memories of another person, or even an invisible world lying over top of this one. If I do have it, I have it very strongly. I personally think despite all the downsides it's awesome as hell. :D

Jiro
06-08-2014, 01:25 PM
My sixth sense is time. I have an okay sense of time. Nothing special.

Raistlin
06-08-2014, 01:40 PM
And what parker is explainin is something called... i forgot the name, but it's actually really common. It's the same thing that makes some people always remember the times they get a red light right as they get to an intersection and think/say "god damn, this always happens" while at the same time forgetting about the 3242304809234 times they got to an intersection and didn't get a red light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

I also do not believe in any ESP.

Mirage
06-08-2014, 02:00 PM
That's the one.

Alive-Cat
06-08-2014, 10:43 PM
I have an incredible sense of direction and also I can tell what filling is inside a donut without penetrating it.

Jiro
06-10-2014, 12:09 PM
I have an incredible sense of direction and also I can tell what filling is inside a donut without penetrating it.

:jokey:

Shorty
06-10-2014, 02:48 PM
I think of ESP being on par with being able to speak to and summon spirits and as such I am skeptical.

Kalevala
06-11-2014, 06:33 AM
As for which TYPE of ESP I do have it's less a premonition ability and more an ability to sense things most others aren't capable of, like the memories of another person

What was I doing during spring break two years ago?

Alive-Cat
06-11-2014, 06:39 AM
What was I doing during spring break two years ago?

:jokey:

Loony BoB
06-11-2014, 04:08 PM
I thought the sixth sense was more in line with knowing when people are in the room or something when you can't hear/see them. Or knowing when someone is looking at you. I don't believe in much of the supernatural stuff like ghosts, so no to that one, but I suppose I've often had that feeling that someone was looking at me, I don't know how to describe it though.