PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Places

Shoden
06-09-2014, 03:58 PM
YES I SPELT THE WORD WITH A "U" DON'T BE TOO FLABBERGASTED MY AMERICAN-BORNE COMRADES, ITS TOTALLY NORMAL HERE.

So, obviously some of you guys do a bit of adventuring, travelling and some of you do questionably legal or illegal activities in the middle of nowhere, sometimes we find ourselves in places we weren't meant to be on drunken adventures home because sometimes you convince yourself its easier, quicker and cheaper to walk home and not get a taxi and you venture into lands unknown...

Ok, EoFF. What or rather where or your favourite places to go, to be, to see?
Cities, towns, countries, villages... yeah.
I live in a pretty scenic area in the North East of England, I love going down to the beaches when the sun makes a rare appearance. Sometimes I enjoy going into Newcastle, sitting by the riverside.

Some of my absolute favourite places are further North, there's a small village/town situated around a castle on the Northumbrian coast called Bamburgh which is a remarkable and stunning place! I recently went (via train and I saw some amazing sights around Alnmouth and Berwick) to Edinburgh and man, what an amazing place that is, the entire city is alive and breathing in history and culture. That and I could walk the streets half drunk at 1AM and not get mugged. WOO!
But yeah, Edinburgh, incredible place, highly recommend going. I'm planning on returning as soon as I get some coinage.
I went to the old town area to explore the vaults and to a pub around there called Bannerman's to see my friends' bands play and I would love to get a gig there myself someday. That's a different story, I'm a bit disillusioned with the music scene here and how snobby pubs are but the locals told me the city of Edinburgh adores putting young and original bands on, all over. So yeah, chance!! :D

Oh my, I rambled on a bit. Gentlemen, ladies, chocobos and questionables, share some of your stories, tales and places.

Shorty
06-09-2014, 04:22 PM
La Jolla, CA
Redwood National Forest State Park, CA
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Santa Barbara, CA
Astoria, OR
Portland, OR
Tillamook, OR
the Oregon coast in general
Salt Lake City, UT
London, UK

Seattle is pretty nice as well, Edinburgh was gorgeous, and Sweden was a beautiful winter wonderland. I also have a sore spot for dirty, filthy, trashy Las Vegas.

I took a drive winding all the way up the Pacific Coast Highway in 2012 and it was just beautiful. Big Sur is a hidden gem of California, and I really wish I could have taken some photos of it.

Ayen
06-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Kansas City, MO is a pretty cool place, I guess. Just don't tell Jinx I said that.

Alive-Cat
06-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Shoden, your hometown sounds like a scenic realm of beauty. My area has very little to offer in that department. WELL...there's a church on a hill with an cemetery, the whole thing is hundreds of years old. Most of the church is gone, but the whole hill and surrounding areas are beautiful and green. I've spent a lot of time there. There's some lakes nearby, woods, there's a park near my house which is nice. But yeah, other than that it's all pretty city like, being close to London! London is cool though, I like going there for the vibes.

Denmark is great.

Shoden
06-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Yeah, man. My town is a few miles down river from Newcastle. https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t1.0-9/382242_10200580579935757_1318983644_n.jpg view from outside my window, after a storm this hella epic rainbow appeared. AWESOOOOOME.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/q84/s720x720/1016360_10201492838541652_1225004894_n.jpg a picture taken from a pier at the mouth of the river Tyne

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/q73/s720x720/943556_10201492837701631_918443287_n.jpg the beach here.

I love this town for its views but when I go to places like saaaay York or Edinburgh the buildings look so amazing!

Newcastle is so nice too https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/q90/s720x720/10463030_10204081637980020_545220433888666575_n.jpg the Millenium bridge with the Tyne bridge behind

Alive-Cat
06-09-2014, 07:59 PM
You have a beautiful home! :love:

Parker
06-09-2014, 08:08 PM
balls deep in a nice bit of vag

Not appropriate. ~Shorty

Shoden
06-09-2014, 10:09 PM
You have a beautiful home! :love:

Some amazing sights here, also I forgot to add earlier, dude. I've been to London before, expensive and very busy place! O.O

Alive-Cat
06-09-2014, 10:22 PM
My brother has recently moved to Yorkshire and realised the almost impossible decrease in the price of beer. I will be visiting him there soon and see for myself! We'll be right near the Yorkshire Dales, they sound from what he has described that they will become one of my favourite places, too.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
06-09-2014, 10:59 PM
I'm just gonna copy and slightly amend Shorty's list. Because it is almost right.

La Jolla, CA (favorite place on earth)
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Santa Cruz, CA (boardwalk ftw)
Astoria, OR
Lincoln City, OR
Portland, OR
Tillamook, OR (seriously on this. amazing cheese and ice cream)
Leavenworth, WA
Seattle, WA
North Cascades National Park, WA (gigantic beautiful rainforest)
the WEST coast in general
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN

Okinawa, Japan
Pattaya, Thailand

An honorable mention to South Florida beaches, but not quite.
Another honorable mention to Pyeongtaek, South Korea.

Kalevala
06-09-2014, 11:09 PM
The Aegean Sea
Kars, New Brunswick, Canada
Montmorency Falls, Quebec, Canada
Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Cyprus
Santorini, Greece
The Ionian Sea
Cinque Terre, Italy
Florence, Italy
Praiano, Italy
Rome, Italy

I like a lot of big cities as well. Toronto and Athens, while not as beautiful as some of the other places on my list, are fun to explore.

Stratford, Ontario is worth mentioning.

I also have a strange love for airports.

Alive-Cat
06-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Airports are my favourite place in the world to get drunk. I love airport bars.

Got a flight that leaves around 6 in the morning? Get to the airport for 4ish, sort yourself out, get to the bar. Drink until you realise your gate is open and you have to rush now but you don't care because you're happy.

Kalevala
06-09-2014, 11:29 PM
A bar in Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport was the first place I drank legally in Canada. They're great, but a little pricey.

Alive-Cat
06-09-2014, 11:33 PM
A bar in Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport was the first place I drank legally in Canada. They're great, but a little pricey.

Everything is pricey these days. There's no escape :(

Shorty
06-09-2014, 11:34 PM
I'm just gonna copy and slightly amend Shorty's list. Because it is almost right.

La Jolla, CA (favorite place on earth)
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Santa Cruz, CA (boardwalk ftw)
Astoria, OR
Lincoln City, OR
Portland, OR
Tillamook, OR (seriously on this. amazing cheese and ice cream)
Leavenworth, WA
Seattle, WA
North Cascades National Park, WA (gigantic beautiful rainforest)
the WEST coast in general
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN

Okinawa, Japan
Pattaya, Thailand

An honorable mention to South Florida beaches, but not quite.
Another honorable mention to Pyeongtaek, South Korea.

La Jolla is fantastic and maybe my favorite city in California. Been a long time since I've been there - this was taken New Year's Day of 2012 (I think). Definitely my favorite beach of California.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii325/demosthynes/WP_000115.jpg

And Tillamook has the best ice cream I've ever had in my life. I'll be going there again before the year is up! You're alright, friend. Long live PNW!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-10-2014, 12:01 AM
Let's see.....I like Balamb Garden, Eorzea, Oerba and the Opera where Celes performed was pretty nice. I like Treno, even though there's a bunch of shady people walking around.

Wait.

Calliope
06-10-2014, 12:03 AM
Auckland, Wellington, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco.

06-10-2014, 01:04 AM
And Tillamook has the best ice cream I've ever had in my life. I'll be going there again before the year is up! You're alright, friend. Long live PNW!

I will swear up and down that Tillamook has some of the best ice cream in the world. But alas, it is forever a second best in my eyes. For the best ice cream ever you need to go about 45 miles east of Portland to a little town called Stevenson, WA. There lies a wonderful little drive in ice cream shop called The Little Viking. Their Huckleberry Ice Cream is the absolute best ice cream in the world.

Shorty
06-10-2014, 01:08 AM
If they are west of Portland, I am betting they get their cream from Tillamook!

Pike
06-10-2014, 01:21 AM
Bozeman MT

http://cdn.bozemannet.com/images/content/2292_16287_Spanish_Peaks_Bozeman_Montana_md.jpg

http://angelcoilbartlett.com/wp-content/themes/theFirm/images/bozeman-mountains.jpg

http://angelcoilbartlett.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/bozeman-mt-road.jpg

http://www.natgeocreative.com/comp/RF4/293/1101808.jpg

P.S. No sales tax and the friendliest and also most educated population I've ever met.

Colonel Angus
06-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Wow, you guys've been to a lot of places.

Oahu, Hawaii
Las Vegas, Nevada
The Winday Citay
Orlando, Florida

Madame Adequate
06-10-2014, 01:34 AM
Yep can confirm Bozeman is basically the best place.

Also great:

Belfast, Norn Iron
Newtownards, Norn Iron isn't actually that good but has a lot of memories that make me very fond of it
Newport, RI
New York City

And honestly given the amount of investment they've put into the place, Leicester is a pretty good city these days. Good shopping, surprising number of vidya stores thanks to the market, the National Space Center, high-tier museum, couple of great unis, and the Highcross Quarter is a nice place with some great food places.

Nowhere tops Bozeman though.

06-10-2014, 01:42 AM
If they are west of Portland, I am betting they get their cream from Tillamook!

East of Portland. And the do get some of their cream from Tillamook. But they also get it from four other dairies. Huckleberry flavor in particular is from Cascade Dairy Farm.

:) Yeah. I called them.

Also, I want to add Baton Rouge, LA. I had a blast while I was there.

starlet
06-10-2014, 03:32 AM
There's a local park i go to that is pretty much my happy placeThough the mosquitoes have been ruining that lately..... There's a decent size river that runs though it (Clinton River) and there's dirt bike paths that go off of the cement paths and those are the ones I usually take. I like to go to downtown Royal Oak too but it's kinda far from my house and I'm trying to hoard money so I haven't gone down there in a long time.

Kalevala
06-10-2014, 06:17 AM
I wonder how much of the world EoFF has been to collectively.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-10-2014, 06:22 AM

I remember, at least at one point, there was an EoFF map with a little dot or arrow where everyone lived and that list was pretty extensive in itself. Now imagine something like that but with all the places everyone traveled :monster:

Shorty
06-10-2014, 06:42 AM
I think Baloki made the first one and I... attempted at a second one? Or asked about it? Either way, another one needs to happen.

Kalevala
06-10-2014, 07:18 AM

I remember, at least at one point, there was an EoFF map with a little dot or arrow where everyone lived and that list was pretty extensive in itself. Now imagine something like that but with all the places everyone traveled :monster:

That could be pretty interesting. It would take a lot of work, though.

Quindiana Jones
06-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Bed.

My bed, your bed. Don't care. Want bed. :cat:

Sephex
06-10-2014, 07:34 AM
Been all over the US. I think my favorite place was Vegas, but I was 14 when I was there. Man, it's hard to choose. I just like seeing different environments and things like that.

Bubba
06-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Santorini, Greece

Oh man, I loved it here. The views were probably the best I have ever seen.

Airports are my favourite place in the world to get drunk. I love airport bars.

Got a flight that leaves around 6 in the morning? Get to the airport for 4ish, sort yourself out, get to the bar. Drink until you realise your gate is open and you have to rush now but you don't care because you're happy.

I'm a pretty nervous flier so this is a must for me. Our last few trips to Dubai, the missus got us Emirates Lounge access through her Dad. Free posh nosh, free Dom Perignon champagne, free spirits, free beer. I'm surprised they even let me on the flight.

Favourite places would have to be

Glasgow, Scotland - Just due to the great times I've had there with friends
New York City - I will have my own place in Greenwich Village one day...
Dubai - There is literally nowhere like it on the planet. It is smurfing insane.
Brussels, Belgium - Beer, great people, beer, beautiful architecture, beer
Old Trafford, Manchester - The Theatre of Dreams/Nightmares
Sagrada Familia, Barcelona - Literally, my arse fell of when I saw the inside of this thing.
Venice, Italy - My sister got married here. Magical place.

There are lots of others but these are the most memorable.

Kalevala
06-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Santorini, Greece

Oh man, I loved it here. The views were probably the best I have ever seen.

It's absurd how gorgeous it is.

Jiro
06-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Some real beautiful places in all four directions around me.

06-11-2014, 03:59 AM
Egads.

I left out Guadalajara, Mexico!
Mazatlan was also awesome, but Guadalajara took the cake down in Mexico.