PDA

View Full Version : Leo is useless

Spooniest
06-09-2014, 04:39 PM
In retrospect, General Leo isn't that great a fighter. He's got Shock, which does non-elemental damage of about 1.5x a traditional attack to multiple targets, but that's not so much better than something like Flashbulb by that point in the game. He comes equipped with an Offering, which gives him four consecutive attacks, but they're al 50% of normal damage.

I can't think of a use for a character such as this when Edgar is already a selectable party member. Can you?

VeloZer0
06-09-2014, 05:09 PM
I think he just couldn't keep up with the new world that magicite was creating.

The Man
06-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Nah, Shock is great. There's a reason Retainer is regarded as one of the best Rages in the game; it's a quick source of damage to all opponents and if he gets levelled up enough can steamroll any set of opponents in one turn regardless of their strength. As for the Offering having less damage per hit, when he hits the damage cap that doesn't matter so much since he'll be able to do four hits of 9,999 damage rather than one. Even before he hits the damage cap that still means he's dealing twice as much damage per round as he would be without the Offering.

Wolf Kanno
06-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Yeah Leo is actually pretty badass for that point in the game. Shock actually has great damage potential and can potentially grow stronger with better stats, it always hits and it's not even effected by the Imp status due to him not being a proper player character. His gear is actually really good for that point of the game and part of his damage issue with the Offering/Master Scroll is due to Leo being set to the back row by default. His stats are overall pretty good with high strength like Sabin and Cyan but with a decent magic score as well.

It is hard to say he isn't a good character when his real problem is that you never properly get him in your party. If Edgar had been presented in a similar manner with a mixed bag of equipment and a default level, he wouldn't look so hot either when compared to people the player can actually customize. If you don't properly level Edgar, he is not actually as good as people give him props for, he just happens to have the deepest customization options and making him really good is nearly idiot-proof. If you could use Leo properly, he would actually be a pretty scary fellow.

blackmage_nuke
06-11-2014, 10:21 PM
He's just meant to be a high damager for the section he's in. Theyre not going to design a new complex skill mechanic for one small section of the game.

Mirage
06-12-2014, 12:58 AM
In retrospect, General Leo isn't that great a fighter. He's got Shock, which does non-elemental damage of about 1.5x a traditional attack to multiple targets, but that's not so much better than something like Flashbulb by that point in the game. He comes equipped with an Offering, which gives him four consecutive attacks, but they're al 50% of normal damage.

I can't think of a use for a character such as this when Edgar is already a selectable party member. Can you?

Well you can have both edgar and leo in the same party.

Fatal Rose
06-12-2014, 07:27 PM
I've yet to recruit him. Hope he's around for more the. One battle.

Jiro
06-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Edgar and Leo would be an awesome combination tbh.

maybee
06-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Well it's hard to level up and improve when you have been murdered by a crazy ass clown

Agree with the opinion that Leo is badass, for that point in time for the game.

Christmas
06-18-2014, 11:52 AM
If he stays alive long enough, he might mate with Terra and give birth to a kid which can use morph and shock! :bigsmile:

If only....:(

Rez09
06-19-2014, 12:57 AM
It is particularly difficult to judge Leo as a character due both to his short stint as a playable character, and the often counter-intuitive nature of character damage in the game.

As he is, I find Leo an unfortunately underwhelming character. Despite the slight buildup the game does for him, his stats are not terribly impressive, he deals less damage than the majority of the party members he replaces, and his class ability is far from stellar in the state he is found in. Additionally, the Offering is a relatively poor relic on its own, roughly on par with the Genji Glove without the defense penalty, and the majority of its power comes from pairing it with select other items, none of which Leo possesses. In complete honesty, everything he does the vast majority of the cast can do better, potentially -- in the case of Gau, Edgar, Sabin, and Shadow -- at the same time you have access to him.

That said, if he were a fully playable character, he would be disgustingly overpowered in a game already trivialized by its powerful cast and item combinations. Much like most of the cast (but Sabin and Cyan in particular), even when strength appears to be the best stat to raise, magic is actually the ideal stat to cap; on Leo it would allow him to capitalize on Shock's 128 spell power (22 less than Ultima), 0 cast time, and 0 mana cost. Due to his crystal sword it can be assumed he has access to the same weapons as Celes and Terra, which means he can use the Lightbringer and Ultima Weapon without a Merit Award, both of which synergize with his built-in Offering, and the former benefiting from high magic build characters as well.

So, Leo's pretty sub par as you get him, but if he (and his free Ultima) joined as a permanent member, he'd be a contender for most powerful character in the game.

Sephex
06-19-2014, 06:32 AM
Edgar and Leo would be an awesome combination tbh.

In an alternate universe where Leo becomes a member of the party, I like to think that Sabin eventually talks to Leo about his observation of him in the Doma Base ("He would be my friend if he wasn't my enemy" or however he put it). Leo then clutches hands with Sabin while they are both flexing and go on to become the best of friends.

As far as gameplay goes, I like to think if they left him in Shock would only be one of many sword abilities. He probably doesn't seem that spectacular to the veteran FFVI eye since they didn't build him up for a pretty strong reason.

maybee
06-19-2014, 11:25 AM
If he stays alive long enough, he might mate with Terra and give birth to a kid which can use morph and shock! :bigsmile:

If only....:(

I wasn't the only one who shipped Terra/ Leo ??? :jess: