PDA

View Full Version : Matrix Question - Was The Architect Evil?

Forsaken Lover
06-10-2014, 10:02 AM
2wdKlWXyUkc

This is something I always wondered about. As the creator of the titular Matrix, he's kinda the main bad dude until Smith starts ruining everyone's shit for both humans and machines. Yet I detected absolutely no....uh....feeling in him. Yes he is a machine but the whole point is that Matrix machines evolved to think for themselves and programs in The Matrix can obviously think, feel and evolve. They're just as sapient or sentient or whatever as the humans.

But I didn't get that impression from. He was just performing his task, his purpose if you will.

So should he be considered malevolent?

Mercen-X
06-13-2014, 03:10 AM
He may be sentient but he is still a being of more or less pure logic. As such his actions reflect the simplest means in achieving his primary goal: to maintain the existence of his "species" at the cost of all else. Many mass-murdering leaders have led or intended to lead peaceful kingdoms.

Jiro
06-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Don't reckon he was evil. I don't reckon any character in the Matrix is evil. I'd chalk it up to personal motivations clashing.

Shorty
06-17-2014, 05:14 PM
He may be sentient but he is still a being of more or less pure logic. As such his actions reflect the simplest means in achieving his primary goal: to maintain the existence of his "species" at the cost of all else. Many mass-murdering leaders have led or intended to lead peaceful kingdoms.

Mercen-X articulated my feelings well. I don't believe he was evil. I believe that evil implies that one has sinister intentions.

Mirage
06-17-2014, 06:47 PM
He's not any more evil that a human who controls the population of wild animals to make it easier for humans to prosper. Which might also be the point of putting him in the movie, perhaps.

Humans are their livestock, but because humans are a bit smarter than most other animals, I guess it takes a bit more work to pacify them. Thus, the Matrix, and the cycle of letting the few humans that don't accept it live in an eternal cycle of false hope.

If any of you have seen the animatrix shorts, you'll know that the humans were the real badguys. No, of course I am not biased.

Mercen-X
06-19-2014, 08:15 AM
On the other hand, I believe Agent Smith's corrupted programming led him into straight up evilz territory. There's nothing more evil than a virus. What's more, Smith frequently expressed the desire to harm Neo and erase humanity as well as a general disgust for their emotions and senses. No denying it.

Sephex
06-19-2014, 08:33 AM
The character mostly felt like he was simply there to just do his job and that's that. He was very droll and bored sounding (not saying that was a bad thing), and that kind of tone is the ultimate signifier of "just here doin' my job."

Mirage
06-19-2014, 02:20 PM
On the other hand, I believe Agent Smith's corrupted programming led him into straight up evilz territory. There's nothing more evil than a virus. What's more, Smith frequently expressed the desire to harm Neo and erase humanity as well as a general disgust for their emotions and senses. No denying it.

Too bad for him that disgust is an emotion.

Christmas
06-19-2014, 02:58 PM
He reminds me of Garland from FF IX. :bigsmile:

With more hair though. :bigsmile:

On the head, not between the legs btw. :bigsmile:

Christmas
01-05-2023, 11:26 AM
The latest movie is WTF. :(

Fynn
01-07-2023, 07:11 PM
The latest movie is the best one