PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda Hype thread... Cause it deserves it.

NeoCracker
06-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Alright, to add to the hype of the new game...

Paired with the 'We never said it was link' thing, and the fact the person in the trailer was right handed, it may be a good bet it is Zelda this time, or at least not link.

Why is this important? Because Link is left handed, a fact the developers are well aware of, and go so far as to design dungeons around this fact. (Shown be the necessity to mirror the Wii version of Twilight, since most people are right handed.)

Also OH MY GOD IT'S PRETTY!

Fynn
06-11-2014, 10:25 AM
You guys, listen!

It's Link's son! I mean, Skyward Sword Link and Zelda's kid! Think about it! The world is so open and clear of people because the Hyrule kingdom hasn't been clearly established yet! :omgomg:

Pike
06-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Can you guys post screenshots or trailers for this or something? I haven't seen this yet.

Rostum
06-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Damn that looks gorgeous. I really hope it is as open world as his says. The potential of this game is making me so excited.

Can you guys post screenshots or trailers for this or something? I haven't seen this yet.

Here you go madame. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz2JoO91dCk)

Dat Matt
06-11-2014, 01:22 PM
I find it hilarious that everyone on the internet, eoff included is prasing the game for how good it looks.

Not for the reason it looks bad, it does look great. Its more that the Wii u is the least capable of the 3 next gen consoles in terms of processing powers, but still manages to rattle out beautiful looking games like Mario kart, 3d world and this new Zelda to name a few.

This compared to people who were livid that watchdogs didn't reach 1080p and 60fps on ps4/xb1 despite being more powerful systems.

PS - these clothes look familiar. Somewhat twilight princess era.

Freya
06-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Legend of Link.

I keep hearing it being called Zelda Wii U. Not Legend of Zelda.

Eeeeeeee :excited:

Slothy
06-11-2014, 02:22 PM
(Shown be the necessity to mirror the Wii version of Twilight, since most people are right handed.)

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure they mirrored it because that would actually take less time than redoing all of the animation for Link.

Ayen
06-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Link is left-handed?

~oblivious~

chionos
06-11-2014, 03:17 PM
The Elder Scrolls: Hyrule

Del Murder
06-11-2014, 05:08 PM
I'm hoping for Zelda but it's probably link's son yeah.

NeoCracker
06-11-2014, 05:12 PM
(Shown be the necessity to mirror the Wii version of Twilight, since most people are right handed.)

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure they mirrored it because that would actually take less time than redoing all of the animation for Link.

Dungeons in The Legend of Zelda were designs specifically with his hand use in mind according to the interviews. The Hand link used For the Wii, however, the system was designed with people using the right hand.

It was part of an interview done for the Wii Version of Twilight Princess, but since the NES Link has conciously been designed left handed and it was always taken into account for things for how your sword swings and your shields block area, something that would change were link to switch hands.

If all they did was change links hand use, it would have screwed with the intent of the dungeon design, so the dungeons had to be mirrored as well.

And I'm just going to say this now, but I've seen a few people floating around online comparing this to Elder Scrolls, and really? Like, really guys?

I just don't get you. :p

Ayen
06-11-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm less excited about the idea of it being Link's son than it being Link or Zelda.

Hype decreases 20%.

Slothy
06-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Dungeons in The Legend of Zelda were designs specifically with his hand use in mind according to the interviews. The Hand link used For the Wii, however, the system was designed with people using the right hand.

It was part of an interview done for the Wii Version of Twilight Princess, but since the NES Link has conciously been designed left handed and it was always taken into account for things for how your sword swings and your shields block area, something that would change were link to switch hands.

If all they did was change links hand use, it would have screwed with the intent of the dungeon design, so the dungeons had to be mirrored as well.

None of us can really say for certain if it would make a difference if only the hand changed since we'll never get to play it that way, but I'm not convinced that they weren't just throwing around a bit of bullshit when they said that. Largely because Link being left handed hasn't seemed tremendously important since they moved to 3D. It might have been a different story in the 2D games when which side he held the shield on actually did matter.

But I still say that it being easier to just mirror the game probably played a sizable role. Otherwise I doubt they would have bothered at all to be perfectly honest.

chionos
06-11-2014, 05:31 PM
I'm less excited about the idea of it being Link's son than it being Link or Zelda.

Hype decreases 20%.

NEVER GIVE UP HYPE. HYPE IS ALL WE'VE GOT.

Pumpkin
06-11-2014, 05:32 PM

Hype decreases 20%.

I am more excited about this.

It's a shame I won't be able to play this BECAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD ALL OF THESE CONSOLES

Maybe in 10 years when it becomes super cheap

Ayen
06-11-2014, 05:33 PM

Hype decreases 20%.

NEVER GIVE UP HYPE. HYPE IS ALL WE'VE GOT.

Hype increase 15% and steadily rising, preparing to engage cynicism. Charging weapons.

Wolf Kanno
06-11-2014, 06:19 PM
My guess is that if this isn't Zelda that this game might be Link's earliest incarnation and the one that finally explains how he got roped into the conflict between Hylia and Demise from Skyward Sword. I couldn't be the only person playing SS and thinking to themselves that Link's ancestors did something royally stupid to be cursed with helping the Goddess out until the end of time. :D

I do think this game looks to be an earlier installment in the timeline. The Bow and Arrow look a bit Magitek to me and that monster they fight looks like a machine that plants have grown over. I'm thinking this game will predate Skyward Sword in the timeline.

I still feel that the video is mostly a concept trailer but if they can get that kind of seamless transitions of enemy encounters and environmental destruction and promise a more open ended approach similar to the original Zelda, I think we're all in for a treat with this one.

chionos
06-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Agreed.

Although, I must say, I like the seams. I've always liked the separate dungeons, separate areas with different kinds of foes and such. It's not realistic, but it's not supposed to be.

Nevertheless, I'm holding onto hype that this could be truly glorious.

Skyblade
06-11-2014, 08:22 PM
My guess is that if this isn't Zelda that this game might be Link's earliest incarnation and the one that finally explains how he got roped into the conflict between Hylia and Demise from Skyward Sword. I couldn't be the only person playing SS and thinking to themselves that Link's ancestors did something royally stupid to be cursed with helping the Goddess out until the end of time. :D

I do think this game looks to be an earlier installment in the timeline. The Bow and Arrow look a bit Magitek to me and that monster they fight looks like a machine that plants have grown over. I'm thinking this game will predate Skyward Sword in the timeline.

I still feel that the video is mostly a concept trailer but if they can get that kind of seamless transitions of enemy encounters and environmental destruction and promise a more open ended approach similar to the original Zelda, I think we're all in for a treat with this one.

Um, I actually got the opposite conclusion from that same stuff. I mean, fusing magic and technology would be a higher tech level, and thus later in the story, than the simple magic we've seen before. Also, overgrown machines again indicates that they've been around a long time.

Wolf Kanno
06-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Yes but as we progress further into the Zelda universe technology is more steampunk at best with trains finally introduced in Spirit Tracks, whereas Skyward Sword basically showed us that Ancient Hyrule was actually incredibly advanced with robots, factories, and other high tech gizmos. We don't really know how magic played a part in this society but considering the Goddess Hylia saves everyone down the road it is likely their society existed on Magitek. Basically, we're either in an era between the Golden Age and Skyward Sword or we are incredibly far into the future of one of the games three timelines, most likely the Majora's Mask one or the Wind Waker one cause the Hero fails timeline is pretty much one giant decline for Hyrule that it has not quite ever pulled itself out of.

Dat Matt
06-11-2014, 08:45 PM

They Mirrored him because most of the population are right handed, so using motion controls to reflect this makes sense. THe Gamecube version he's left handed.

Del Murder
06-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Nintendo should do a 'Year of the Heroine' and do:

The Legend of Link - starring Zelda
Super Princess Peach 2
New Metroid games - 2D and 3D
DK game starring Dixie Kong

Ayen
06-11-2014, 09:08 PM
I always ignore the Zelda timeline myself :shifty:

I support Del's idea because you can never have enough Metroid.

Dat Matt
06-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Nintendo should do a 'Year of the Heroine' and do:

The Legend of Link - starring Zelda
Super Princess Peach 2
New Metroid games - 2D and 3D
DK game starring Dixie Kong

Dixie Kong was in Tropicl Freeze which came out in February.

There is also more announcements from Nintendo in regards to a 3DS game in about 4 hours time. Main bets are Majora's mask (Because Zelda Williams who advertised Ocarina of Time 3D is floating around E3) or a 2.5D Metroid game.

Either way I wanna know,

Skyblade
06-11-2014, 10:21 PM
Yes but as we progress further into the Zelda universe technology is more steampunk at best with trains finally introduced in Spirit Tracks, whereas Skyward Sword basically showed us that Ancient Hyrule was actually incredibly advanced with robots, factories, and other high tech gizmos. We don't really know how magic played a part in this society but considering the Goddess Hylia saves everyone down the road it is likely their society existed on Magitek. Basically, we're either in an era between the Golden Age and Skyward Sword or we are incredibly far into the future of one of the games three timelines, most likely the Majora's Mask one or the Wind Waker one cause the Hero fails timeline is pretty much one giant decline for Hyrule that it has not quite ever pulled itself out of.

The Spirit Tracks timeline went steampunk. That doesn't mean they all will.

Also, again, overgrown machinery means that it has been in ruins for a long time, so it is something from the past.

Of course, I also just don't want a game set in the past of the timeline. I want to keep moving forward.

Also, after seeing the trailer (finally), I have to say that I did not think that looked like Link.

Wolf Kanno
06-11-2014, 10:42 PM
I don't really feel like there is much left to talk about Hyrule's future. I mean One timeline went to pot, one waffles between destruction and hope, and the last is largely pretty upbeat once you get past the fridge horror that is Wind Waker. I'm more curious about how this nonsense started, where the Goddess Hylia stands in the series origins, see what the hell happened in Zelda's timeline after Skyward Sword showed us that Hyrule used to be very technologically advanced, I want to know where Link falls into all of this cause we now understand Zelda and Ganon but which one of Link's descendants set his soul/bloodline to be a third part of the conflict between the Goddesses and Demons. There is a lot of unexplained crap in the game's backstory whereas I feel the timelines have shown a steady idea of where they all are going.

I mean I wouldn't mind Zelda game set after Zelda II: Link's Adventures, just to confirm that Ganon is gone for good but I'm pretty cool with where Spirit Tracks left off and after Twilight Princess, the middle timeline isn't my thing anymore. I just don't see as much interesting things to talk about going forward except maybe a definitive end point.

Ayen
06-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Also, after seeing the trailer (finally), I have to say that I did not think that looked like Link.

Doesn't look like Zelda either. He has feminine features, yeah, but still strikes me as male more than anything.

Del Murder
06-12-2014, 02:13 AM
I don't really feel like there is much left to talk about Hyrule's future. I mean One timeline went to pot, one waffles between destruction and hope, and the last is largely pretty upbeat once you get past the fridge horror that is Wind Waker. I'm more curious about how this nonsense started, where the Goddess Hylia stands in the series origins, see what the hell happened in Zelda's timeline after Skyward Sword showed us that Hyrule used to be very technologically advanced, I want to know where Link falls into all of this cause we now understand Zelda and Ganon but which one of Link's descendants set his soul/bloodline to be a third part of the conflict between the Goddesses and Demons. There is a lot of unexplained crap in the game's backstory whereas I feel the timelines have shown a steady idea of where they all are going.

I mean I wouldn't mind Zelda game set after Zelda II: Link's Adventures, just to confirm that Ganon is gone for good but I'm pretty cool with where Spirit Tracks left off and after Twilight Princess, the middle timeline isn't my thing anymore. I just don't see as much interesting things to talk about going forward except maybe a definitive end point.
Are we really meant to think that these games all share the same timeline? I figured each one to just be a reboot with a couple exceptions.

The Man
06-12-2014, 02:16 AM
There are three separate timelines, with the point of divergence being Ocarina of Time. But yes, the games are connected. It's all spelt out in the Hyrule Historia, but you can find a summary at the Zelda wiki (http://zeldawiki.org/Zelda_Timeline).

Skyblade
06-12-2014, 02:35 AM

You say "there's not much to talk about the Future". You're missing the point: IT'S THE FUTURE. Pretty much anything can happen. Link Between Worlds showed us a glimpse of the potential. They showed us a game basically without Ganon. With other entities, other threats and conflicts, and other developments in the world. Once we get clear of the mess of Hyrule's past, we can do anything. The awesome interdimensional conflict of Link Between Worlds shows how much promise there is for the future to be used well in this series. I want to see more. I want to see, once Ganon is put away, where does the world turn. I want to see Hyrule developing and growing. I want to see what new twist is going to arrive to put it in peril.

In my mind, there's not much to talk about the Past. We've been there. Skyward Sword was a game meant specifically to answer questions about Hyrule's history. ...And it only left you with more questions, apparently. Do you think another game would do any different? We've gone back and forth through the timeline so many times. We've seen the past, we don't need more. I want to look forward, to something new.

Either way though, I want to see a Magitek Hyrule. Because that would be totally frelling awesome.

Wolf Kanno
06-12-2014, 02:54 AM
Honestly there are a ton of games without Ganon and Ganon/Ganondorf don't exist in the past, hell Demise barely exists and I doubt he was the first evil. We don't need to go to the future to see a Hyrule without Ganon and the Wind Waker world basically shows us where the series would be heading without him. Skyward Sword barely answered anything, it created new question and while I don't believe another prequel will answer everything, it made me realize that I want to know how Link got roped into all of this nonsense. The future is simply going to be Link facing off against Ganon, Ganondorf, Vaati, or some new demon, hell even Link Between Worlds couldn't get us beyond Ganon and the whole Triforce nonsense so I can't agree it showed us a promising future that hasn't been shown to us before in many of the various non-Ganon games in the series.

I want to know where Link comes into all of this, that's the lingering question, hell I want to know what Hyrule was like before it was nearly destroyed and had to be reborn. To me these are more intriguing questions than what happens next cause the whole Legend of Zelda wraps around the enternal conflict between Link, Zelda, Ganon, and the fight over the Triforce, I don't think they will be able to really insert a new threat after Ganon besides Vaati or by making a prequel to set up another evil to awaken.

Formalhaut
06-12-2014, 02:56 AM
Wait, there's multiple timelines?

I'm seriously behind on my Zelda Knowledge, clearly.

Del Murder
06-12-2014, 03:24 AM
There are three separate timelines, with the point of divergence being Ocarina of Time. But yes, the games are connected. It's all spelt out in the Hyrule Historia, but you can find a summary at the Zelda wiki (http://zeldawiki.org/Zelda_Timeline).
Interesting.

Skyblade
06-12-2014, 03:36 AM
If you believe any of that work on the timeline was planned out before Skyward Sword was being worked on, I have a nice bridge I could sell you...

Pumpkin
06-12-2014, 03:40 AM

I would like one set in the time of Majora's Mask. At the exact same time. That plays the exact same way. And has the exact same characters

basically I just want to play Majora's Mask again

NeoCracker
06-12-2014, 03:43 AM
I don't think anyone byus that the timeline was pre-thought of, though they've been talking about the timeline being connected since before Twilight Princess, I even recall them saying it took place after Ocorina at one point, :p

But it is in fact a thing now, and an official one, and because of that there are things that are in need of answering. And I doubt those questions will come from a sequel, so I'm going with Wolf on the 'I want to know what happened before to get link involved' thing. :p

Del Murder
06-12-2014, 04:48 AM
If you believe any of that work on the timeline was planned out before Skyward Sword was being worked on, I have a nice bridge I could sell you...
Yeah that's what's interesting about it. The fact that people have gone to the trouble to try to piece this all together! Zelda has always been about gameplay over story, but that was still a fun read.

Wolf Kanno
06-12-2014, 06:15 AM
I disagree that they hadn't thought about this before. Honestly the first four Zelda games all fit together in a timeline rather nicely. Ocarina of Time is where everything goes weird cause it follows LttP backstory about the sealing of Ganon but doesn't end properly and the Wind Waker feels like a direct sequel. The only timeline that felt odd to me was the Majora's Mask timeline.

Granted it is a different story with most of the handhelds as they do kind of feel all over the place and I doubt anyone thought the Four Sword entries were anything but some quirky spin-off series. So yeah, having all of them kind of... forced into the timeline does feel a bit half assed but I do feel that it's pretty easy to see that the main console entries were being pieced together. Not to mention people have been talking about the Zelda timeline since the N64 days so I', going to have to disagree that the whole thing was spur of the moment.

Skyblade
06-12-2014, 07:06 AM
Given that all these questions were raised by a timeline that was created to make sense of the chronology, and a prequel designed to explain the setup of the world, I really don't think another prequel is going to do any better job of explaining things. It's going to force together a bunch of nonsensical points and hold them together through a patchwork story that everyone thinks is ridiculous (exactly the way the timeline did). Trying to set up some grand mythology is the sort of thing that led to the FFVII Compilation.

A prequel will only raise more questions than it answers. Exactly the way Skyward Sword did. Exactly the way the Timeline does.

Wolf Kanno
06-12-2014, 07:37 AM
I am honestly not bothered by the timeline because it largely doesn't try to really retcon anything that has already been established which is my problem with the Compilation of VII which took a "go big or go home, let's copy every anime stereotype" approach to a story that was originally awkward but at least sensible. Zelda doesn't really have that problem mainly cause most of the games are set so far apart from each other that it's hard for them to really derail the mythos. A prequel will create more questions but considering this is a franchise that will exist until it stops making money, I, nor Nintendo, don't really see a problem with a story that asks more questions about the mythos.

This is coming from somone who doesn't even like Skyward Sword because of what it does to the plot but I'm willing to let Nintendo try to sell the whole "Zelda is a reincarnated Goddess" and Ganondorf/Ganon is a physical curse caused by a one-dimensional demon from the distant past. Like Del said, the story was never the series selling point it was the gameplay, the developers themselves admit this. I don't see the problem with another prequel, nor do I really see the value of moving forward at this point. Skyward Sword got me curious about Hyrule's past and lore, ignoring it seems like wasted potential.

Skyblade
06-12-2014, 08:08 AM
So the new game raises more questions, and we have to have another prequel. Which raises more questions, so we have another one. I think constantly going backwards is just that: Backwards. We've gone back into the history so many times in this series (seriously, compare the timeline to release dates, and look at how much backtracking we've done). I just want to move forward.

Dat Matt
06-12-2014, 08:10 AM
That was link in the trailer (http://m.wiiu.mmgn.com/news--that-was-link-in-zelda-wii-u-trailer-aonuma)

Rostum
06-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Zelda's always been about the adventure, not the story. The story just serves as mechanism to push players through the adventure. It's never had to be anything more than that.

Whilst it can be interesting to know how all the games fit in a timeline, to me I'm more interested in the potential exploration, puzzle solving and fun combat I could take part in. :D

Aulayna
06-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Just gonna leave this here:

DBZQ0ffNnWc

Ayen
06-13-2014, 02:45 AM
Wait, there's multiple timelines?

I'm seriously behind on my Zelda Knowledge, clearly.

You're not missing much.