PDA

View Full Version : Chu♥lip - Making the Fan Requel

Mercen-X
06-11-2014, 07:56 AM
For those few unaware, a "requel" is a remake wherein more than 50% of the end product is new material or the remake simply doubles as a sequel. While the title may sound as if I've got a work in progress, I'm just now brainstorming ideas. I thought about putting this in Creative Corner, but I wasn't sure it fit there. If anyone else has played Chu♥lip, likes it, loves it, wants to talk about it, wants to see more of it, would approve a sequel, would approve a remake, or has anything at all to offer this thread, please be my guest.

I've been playing Chu♥lip a lot this past week, obviously, while working toward acing the game with all kisses obtained and watching the films you obtain throughout, mostly so I could help out the Chu♥lip Wiki which had not seen much action since 2012 when it was founded. The wiki has links to GameFAQs but it shouldn't need them as the game is not that difficult except for a few areas wherein not knowing to do something can be very hampering (i.e. the zombie's eye must be taken to town, you must look in on Underground Residences whenever something new happens, you must talk to people at different hours of the day/night, having to kick something up to 8 times to see an effect, etc.)

Anyway, I really like this game. However, while I applaud the use of a game mechanic other than "kill your enemy" being used to progress through the game, I'm biased toward that kind of format through all of the RPGs and Action games I've played. I have a lot of favorite characters in this game and I can't help imagining it from a more "action" (read "violent") perspective.

My Chu♥lip (imagine the heart being stylized as a pair of 2s) would have the main character and his love interest being a little bit older. The Poor Boy, I'll call him Oliver, doesn't actually meet his love interest (Annie) upon moving in. After meeting the townsfolk, he sees a picture of her at the local bar run by her mother and finds out she's run away from home. The story would then involve trying to find her. Dr. Dandy, The Complaintpot Cult, Policeman, Alien, Mr. Binchotan (Charcoal), Mr. Yamada, Mr. Inoue, Ms. Iwata, and Mr. Saito would all be antagonists at certain parts of the story. Dr. Dandy, Policeman, and Charcoal would become playable characters after defeating them. Leo, Bell, and Mika would also join Oliver's cause. Many Underground Residents would become either playables or summons.

While I would mostly want to leave the characters represented as they are, I would reimagine the 5 junior high teachers. Suzuki would become a dwarf with long peppered hair, Yamada would be tall and skinny in a soccer uniform, Inoue would be a short crypt keeper, Iwata would be a frail woman with what remains of a straight-jacket, and Saito would be a surprisingly fit homeless man.

Oliver: the main character would naturally be the stat-Jack being able to utilize the most skills while not as effectively as others.
Dad: He'll serve no real purpose other than to act as a tutorial. He'll also have no face, instead having a ring of hair around his head with a bald spot and a lone hair in the middle atop his head (like a bull's eye).
Annie: the love interest would be out of the picture for the better part of the story, having run away. She will be mentioned as having visited the temple and befriended Bell. At the start of the UFO events, her parents will mention her telescope which can be found in the empty lot which she made a temporary home of. Learning the Alien's language will reveal that she had tried to help him leave the planet but had not returned with the items he needed. Finally, at the factory, she'll be discovered as one of its many workers, brainwashed by Funny Cola and morning exercises. Winning Presidency allows Oliver to fire her, after which, she again disappears.
Dr. Dandy: Acquiring the necessary ingredients for the Heart Potion is only step one. You also need to acquire the Heart Breaker in order to induce Night Dandy, defeat in battle, and cure with the potion. From then on, Dr. Dandy can be used to heal the party and he can shift to Night Dandy to deal great absorption damage on enemies.
Policeman: Perhaps the most useful party member, being one of the few to possess a ranged attack. He'll also have the ability to arrest enemies, stunning them.
Charcoal: After defeating Mr. Binchotan, turning him to ash, Charcoal must be beaten in a one-on-one duel. The miniature version wields dual blades collectively known as "The Legendary Sword."
Leo and Mika: Both of these characters would have abilities related to tea. Leo's "Delicious Youth Tea" would restore health while Mika's "Forgotten Recipe" will cause damage and poison. Leo can also spew hot water while Mika can maximize her accuracy by throwing her eyeball at enemies. Both are more durable than other characters, Leo being made of bronze and Mika being a zombie.
Bell: The kendo practitioner, Bell is one of the more powerful members of the group, followed closely by Charcoal. As a Human Bell, she can move "at the speed of sound" which translates to her being faster than the other characters and nearly all enemies, even granting her a "first strike" in battle.
Chopper: A martial artist with powerful strikes.

Miss Thick Glasses: Analyzes enemies.
Mr. Music Box: Puts enemies to sleep with his music.
Voodoo Doll: Assigns a party member to act as a voodoo doll. When attacked, the damage will be dealt to the enemy instead.
Tip Toe: Steals random items from enemies.
Tin Signboard: Acts as a human shield for one party member.
Jamtrack 415: Swoops in like a superhero, ramming the enemies like a train.
Eupocalypse: Leaps high in the air, returns with a powerful attack in one turn.

Night Dandy (temporarily): The mysterious night stalker. His insomnia is caused by a latent vampiric gene which leads to his split personality and penchant for drawing blood from loiterers using his massive syringe.
Policeman (temporarily): The trigger-happy cop. He is so bored he has become corrupt, deliberately arranging situations (and planting evidence) that will lead to people's arrest.
Mr. Binchotan: The guardian of the Legendary Sword needed to exorcise Monk's demons. He has actually become corrupt and is responsible for the demons.
The Complaintpot Cult: The major enemy force encountered throughout the story, they are a highly suspicious group.
Dan Yamada: The leader of the Complaintpot Cult, he fights primarily using kicks.
Saburomaru Inoue: A high-ranking Complaintpot Cult member, he carries a sharpened spade. He is responsible for corrupting Mr. Binchotan and unleashing the cemetery's malevolent spirits.
Sayuri Iwata: A high-ranking Complaintpot Cult member, she has captured an Alien for unspecified purposes. She fights "like a crazy person."
Junichi Saito: A high-ranking Complaintpot Cult member and the President of Funny Bone Factory, the cult uses the factory's highly addictive Funny Cola to indoctrinate cult members and factory workers. He fights using various forms of martial arts. When beaten, he can be challenged to playful games of shogi and mahjong.
Alien: A primate astronaut, the Alien at first appears to have kidnapped Annie after escaping from Iwata. In battle, it fights "like a monkey."
Agony Man: A possessed contortionist, he fights using Capoeira.
Tengu: A red-faced demon with a long nose and wings, he attacks using wind from a hand fan.
Voodoo: A little doll made of straw, it attacks fast and can assign a character to take damage in its place. Can be summoned.
Sorrow: A ghost residing at Worldly Desire Temple, it's scythe deals damage in multiples of four.
Yojira: A creature resembling a dinosaur as tall as a man, it has sharp teeth and claws.
Mekkyo: A robotic version of Yojira, it has an arsenal of ballistic weaponry.
Apollo: A man attached to a rocket, he attacks by launching himself at the party.
Champ: An angry boxer who takes his frustrations out on passersby.
Vat Man: A man in a trash can, he attacks by body-slamming.
Tip Toe: A thief with a huge bag of stolen goods, he uses the bag as a weapon. Can be summoned.
Pinch: Plays "red light, green light" with the enemy.
Sniper: A ranged attacker wearing a trench coat.
Psychic: An average-looking person who can harm with a thought.
Lady Clam: A mermaid-like being attached to a clam shell, she attacks by body-slamming.
Lady Onion: A lady with an onion for a head, she attacks using headbutts.
Arachnus: A man-sized spider dangling from a web, it attacks by biting and shooting webbing.
Robotrex: A man-sized toy robot, it attacks by punching.
Turtle Man: A man on all fours concealed under a large shell.
Speed Sage: An old man who gets faster and faster, he attacks by tackling.
Jigsaw: A being comprised of puzzle pieces, it attacks by throwing pieces.Tinkerer: A man bouncing on spring shoes, attacks using a gripper with teeth.

Mr. Cheapot: Local antiques dealer
Michelle: Cleans obsessively
Julie Arashiyama: Grills chicken
Goro Arashiyama: Screens movies
Conductor: Runs the trains
Shopkeep: Sells tickets
Batayan: Street performer
Mrs. Plum: Sells healing items
Targe: Millionaire
Monkey: A randomly-appearing chimp
Crane: Crane nesting atop the tea house
Panda: A randomly-appearing panda
Eggplant Boy: A strange boy
Mr. Frog: Frequents a pond beneath a waterfall
Girl with Balloons: Sells balloons
Scarecrow: Local farmer, sells vegetables
Miss Henomura: Tour guide; Funny Bone Factory
Mr. Henoyama: Exercise director; Funny Bone Factory

Wolf Kanno
06-11-2014, 08:06 AM
I need to finish Chulips :(

Mercen-X
06-11-2014, 08:46 AM
I still haven't finished it. I've restarted this game like twelve times. My original save data that was the closest to beating it was on one of two memory cards that I seem to have misplaced. :( But I'm so close. I have one Underground Resident left to kiss (Jigsaw: and I even have the piece I need, I just want to see if I can find a second one for the sake of collection) and then all I have to do is give Mr. Suzuki his stuff back and I can move on to the final stage.

Mercen-X
06-16-2014, 05:11 AM
I recently finished the game. I even had all 50 kisses. I still need to go back and watch those films.