PDA

View Full Version : look at my goddamn hands while I'm talking to you

Alive-Cat
06-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Hand gestures.

I read an article on this once, a long time ago, but I neither remember what it said, or really, what it was about at all. Shame. I'm sorry :(

Do you use your hands a lot while talking to someone?

I've been realising recently just how much I do it. Like today I was telling a story to someone and I got to a part and I was like '...and i wrote it down' and noticed I was actually scribbling with an invisible pen on invisible paper in the air. Since I've been noticing that I'm doing it so much, when the person I'm talking to breaks eye contact with me and looks at my gesturing hands I secretly get embarrassed and feel awkward and try not to gesture for the rest of the conversation.

I gesture so much while talking. Even on the phone, which is weirder.

So do you gesture frequently, EoFF?

Hey everyone here's a video that isn't particuarly related to what I'm talking about and is narrated by this strange guy who is trying to teach you how to hand gesture while storytelling. If you don't hand gesture as much as me, but you want to, then this is the video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQzmtdvhKQU

Alive-Man xxxxxxx

Ayen
06-11-2014, 05:01 PM
The only times I use hand gestures is when I'm imitating the Eleventh Doctor or the ninja from Ask a Ninja.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-11-2014, 05:04 PM
or the ninja from Ask a Ninja.

That's still a thing? I figured he'd retired or something.

I think I use my hands a lot, but I'm not sure.

Pumpkin
06-11-2014, 05:06 PM
I think I use my hands a lot, but I'm not sure.

You do. So do I.

Ayen
06-11-2014, 05:07 PM
or the ninja from Ask a Ninja.

That's still a thing? I figured he'd retired or something.

He came back rather recently, actually. There are two new videos on his YouTube channel.

Parker
06-11-2014, 05:51 PM
whenever my mum talks about food she does this weird finger rubbing thing (kinda like the money gesture rubbing the thumb and fingertips) when she is talking about the food

"and you know it really brings out the lemon u can really taste the flavours" *rubs fingers and thumb, doesnt know anything about food*

Shauna
06-11-2014, 06:08 PM
I talk with my hands quite a bit. I'm on the phone to customers and I am gesturing like a crazy person.

Probably because I'm a crazy person.

Formalhaut
06-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Oh yes I do. I could pass for the sign language guy that you see on very early morning TV sometimes with my hand gestures. I don't know why I do it, maybe because I'm not sure if the person I'm talking to hasn't quite got it so I use hand gestures just to make sure that they understand fully.

blackmage_nuke
06-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Moving my hands around helps me think especially when Im discussing the spacial aspects of an event or hypothetical

The hand gestures in the video was a bit too theatrical for my taste, my hand gestures are a bit more eratic

Alive-Cat
06-11-2014, 08:58 PM
I am going to study mine more closely over the coming days so I can give you all an accurate description of exactly what they are like, what they want and what we can do about them.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
06-12-2014, 02:58 AM
I actually wen through a large amount of training on public speaking and such, so I do use hand gestures a lot, but I do my best to make them only accentuate my words and not take away from them.

noxious.sunshine
06-12-2014, 03:01 AM
Not really.. Unless it's to flip someone off or whatever.

Alive-Cat
06-12-2014, 06:44 AM
Years ago me and this girl were going out and we had a huge argument, and she stormed off and so did I. It was a really long road and I turned around and saw her in the distance and thought it would be funny to wave so she really aggressively gave me the finger. Later that day I found out after she did that she couldn't stop laughing at the situation while walking away.

Hand gestures are cool!

escobert
06-12-2014, 03:05 PM
sometims. Not all that much though.

Jiro
06-13-2014, 05:25 AM
I use my hands a lot. I don't necessarily intend any of it, like old mate in the video says, but I think it helps me communicate a little easier. A lot of the time, focusing on my hands allows me to stop worrying about people and just talk.

Miss Mae
06-13-2014, 08:22 AM
I talk with my hands quite a bit. I also just generally fidget with them and do strange hand-related dances when I'm bored. I think I just move around a lot all the time, whether I'm talking or not.

Alive-Cat
06-13-2014, 04:25 PM
I talk with my hands quite a bit. I also just generally fidget with them and do strange hand-related dances when I'm bored. I think I just move around a lot all the time, whether I'm talking or not.

Like you are constantly dancing the dance of life!

Christmas
06-15-2014, 02:27 PM
http://whatdoumeme.com/media/created/s070d4.png

Alive-Cat
06-15-2014, 02:59 PM
I know exactly what you meant because even over these vast distances I can sense your hands moving and expressing what you wanted to say to me :greenie:

Shiny
06-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Nah, I talk with my eyes.

Alive-Cat
06-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Nah, I talk with my eyes.

I want to witness this one day it sounds magic.