PDA

View Full Version : Spyro the Dragon (Series)

Ayen
06-11-2014, 08:00 PM

Who remembers playing Spyro for the first time on their PlayStations? I do! It was awesome. I love everything about it. It's one of my favorite platform games for the Sony PlayStation and platforms in general. It was the fourth game I ever wrote a review for and it held up just as well when I went back to it in November 2011. I own the first three Spyro games for the PSX and Enter the Dragonfly for the GameCube. Though that felt like a rehash or Spyro 3 at the beginning so I lost interest in it pretty quickly.

Talk about Spyro.

Formalhaut
06-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Oh! Spyro! I loved those games. I haven't played it in a literal age but I remember the series fondly.

chionos
06-11-2014, 08:11 PM
The first three were great, but after that they went downhill. I'm not sure, really, where the series stands at this point, because I stopped following a long time ago. I liked the way they were advancing by small tweaks each game so that they seemed like they'd just keep getting bigger and better with each installment, but alas, Spyro 3 was the last game to capture the spirit of the series, and it hasn't been the same since (again, as far as I know).

That's back in the day when it was still fun to 100% a game, when it meant something without being tedious. When it was fun to do without having some external incentive. Back when games were fun for fun's sake.

Formalhaut
06-11-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure, really, where the series stands at this point, because I stopped following a long time ago.

Isn't Spyro like the lead character in Skylanders?

Ayen
06-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Oh! Spyro! I loved those games. I haven't played it in a literal age but I remember the series fondly.

What all did you play? Do you still have the games?

The first three were great, but after that they went downhill. I'm not sure, really, where the series stands at this point, because I stopped following a long time ago. I liked the way they were advancing by small tweaks each game so that they seemed like they'd just keep getting bigger and better with each installment, but alas, Spyro 3 was the last game to capture the spirit of the series, and it hasn't been the same since (again, as far as I know).

That's back in the day when it was still fun to 100% a game, when it meant something without being tedious. When it was fun to do without having some external incentive. Back when games were fun for fun's sake.

The developer who made the first three games, Insomniac, stopped making them and the title was handed to other developers, similar to what happened to Crash, so the games dip in quality can probably be traced back to that. They tried rebooting them with the Legend of Spyro series, but they tanked. Now Spyro is a featured character in Skylanders and, well...

I'm not sure, really, where the series stands at this point, because I stopped following a long time ago.

I know he's featured, but I have no idea if he's the star of the game.

chionos
06-11-2014, 08:23 PM

I think one of the Skylanders games has Spyro in the lead, but are those games Spyro games, or are they their own games with Spyro taking a cameo lead in one of them?

It wasn't just the character of Spyro that made those original games so great. It was the platforming, the silly humor, the simple fun and freedom of the movement.

Shauna
06-11-2014, 08:25 PM
haha, no Spyro is not a lead character in Skylanders. Pretty sure they just used him in the first game to garner interest, and now that it's super popular in its own right, there's not much Spyro going on.

First three were gold. Enter the Dragonfly and A Hero's Tail are... okay. The Legend of Spyro series are terrible. I have played two of them, and they cause me such undue stress and anger.

Formalhaut
06-11-2014, 08:26 PM
I don't think I have any Spyro games left, unfortunately!

Ayen
06-11-2014, 08:26 PM

I think one of the Skylanders games has Spyro in the lead, but are those games Spyro games, or are they their own games with Spyro taking a cameo lead in one of them?

It wasn't just the character of Spyro that made those original games so great. It was the platforming, the silly humor, the simple fun and freedom of the movement.

Wiki says it's a second reboot of Spyro, but the main characters are toys...

Shauna beat me to it, nvm.

chionos
06-11-2014, 08:40 PM

What all did you play? Do you still have the games?

The developer who made the first three games, Insomniac, stopped making them and the title was handed to other developers, similar to what happened to Crash, so the games dip in quality can probably be traced back to that. They tried rebooting them with the Legend of Spyro series, but they tanked. Now Spyro is a featured character in Skylanders and, well...

I know he's featured, but I have no idea if he's the star of the game.

THAT'S NOT SPYRO, THAT'S AN ABOMINATION.

Ayen
06-11-2014, 08:43 PM
When I first saw that picture I knew what it meant to be a DMC fan when they saw the redesign of Dante for the first time.

Only Spyro is way worse.

Pumpkin
06-11-2014, 08:44 PM
I played the first 4 Spyro games and liked them all. Just last month I ordered Year of the Dragon, which is my favorite one of the bunch :flirt:

Pike
06-12-2014, 10:23 AM
Never played much Spyro or Crash Bandicoot. Possibly because I am the only person on this entire forum who never did anything with their PlayStation (I played FF on it and that's it - used my N64 for literally everything else).

That said, talk all you want about how bad the Legend of Spyro games were - they had some fan-friggin-tastic music.

vvo4S5iI8UA