PDA

View Full Version : Hyrule Warriors

Aulayna
06-12-2014, 03:42 PM
z107NbGUIOk

At first I was a bit "eeeeeeh" about this game. Dynasty Warriors in Hyrule sounds cool, but I couldn't really see it having any substance.

But the more I've seen of it, the more it's grown on me.

Especially now I know I can play as Princess Zelda, I'm sold on it!

Roll on September.

Shauna
06-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Matt loves LoZ. It's local multiplayer.

ALSO SOLD (by proxy).

Dat Matt
06-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Yeah, I'm getting it. Comes out the same week as my birthday.

I saw a video where the guy played as Minda and used a super powered hookshot to bring down the Majora's Mask moon onto an enemy. That's freaking amazing.

Ayen
06-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Such a solid cast. And I won't get to play as any of them! :(

starlet
06-25-2014, 05:29 AM
DISCUSS THE THING! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z107NbGUIOk)

:omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omg omg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg::omgomg: :omgomg:

Am I the only person unreasonably excited about this? I'd skip out on paying rent to get a wii-u to play this when it comes out (kiddingNOTKIDDING), For obvious reasons Midna will probably be my character of choice. 2nd choice, Maybe Zelda

Vyk
06-25-2014, 12:46 PM
All I can say is I'm more interested in this than I am an actual Zelda game. Which really isn't saying much. But I am really curious at least

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-25-2014, 07:10 PM
I'll definitely be picking this one up. It looks like a lot of fun! I'll be getting an extra check this month and I think i'll be investing in the Wii U.

Wolf Kanno
06-25-2014, 07:27 PM
I'll admit that the announcement of Midna being playable was enough to perk my interest. Love that little sassy imp. :cool:

metagloria
06-25-2014, 07:30 PM
This is like making a Final Fantasy game about chocobo breeding. It's taking one of the least interesting parts of a good game and making it into its own game.

Wolf Kanno
06-25-2014, 07:42 PM
I don't know, I actually really liked Chocobo breeding in VII.

Perducci
06-25-2014, 07:55 PM
It looks good but it's going to be basically exactly the same as Dynasty Warriors or any of the other spin-offs (One Piece, Gundam).

Sure, it'll have Link and Zelda and Midna and maybe a few little gameplay tweaks, but overall, it's just going to be another Dynasty Warriors game.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-25-2014, 07:56 PM
This is like making a Final Fantasy game about chocobo breeding. It's taking one of the least interesting parts of a good game and making it into its own game.

I think a fast pace hack and slash action game is a far cry from "Hyrule Farm Simulator 2014".

Depression Moon
06-25-2014, 08:27 PM
They're going to be putting Agitha into the game. Now the options are open for any number of obscure off the wall characters. I personally want Malon/Cremia.

Mercen-X
06-25-2014, 11:55 PM
It looks good but it's going to be basically exactly the same as Dynasty Warriors or any of the other spin-offs (One Piece, Gundam).

I thought the same thing, despite never playing DW. But the limited love I have for LoZ would probably provoke me to play this and I bet any fans who have never played DW would probably start after playing this game, myself included... if I ever buy a Wii U.

Vyk
06-26-2014, 12:24 AM
My girlfriend's been keeping me up on Dynasty Warriors the last few years. But before that I had quit playing them back at #4, and then she got me back into #7. Which was pretty good, but mostly just nice to revisit such a mindlessly fun series. DW doesn't get much love by the broader audience. Either they've never been interested, or lost interest long ago like me. So this will probably revitalize the genre, either introduce new players, or re-introduce old ones, and they'll get all warm and fuzzy and nostalgic. Here's hoping anyway

Skyblade
06-26-2014, 12:37 AM
Personally, I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game, nor had an urge to. The only gameplay I've ever found of them, and indeed one of the only things I've heard discussed about them, is the single playable character slaughtering thousands of faceless mooks.

That's ok, I guess. It works short term, like the 1 vs 1000 fight in Kingdom Hearts II. But it's nothing to base a game on.

It's only since this game was shown that I've heard about things like map control, army balance, and boss fights. There are definitely some interesting mechanics there, and I can see how managing your tactics and choosing your fights with your OP playable character could be a compelling gameplay experience, as well as bringing some tactical thought to the combat itself with boss fights.

In short, I've learned more about Dynasty Warriors since E3 than I had the entire rest of my life, and what I've learned has me interested.

Plus the game just looks so pretty.

Dat Matt
07-01-2014, 10:18 PM
I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game either, but I've seen a friend get addicted to it which made me want to check it out.

The main reason I'm interested in it is because of the lead up to the final boss in Skyward sword. Link is running to fight the final boss, but stopping him in his tracks is a horde of low level enemies and some high level ones. This created the same sort of environment as Dynasty Warriros, and was generally pretty mad. I loved it. I want to see more.

Ayen
07-25-2014, 12:22 AM
Three new characters added (http://www.continue-play.com/news/more-characters-confirmed-for-hyrule-warriors/)

The game is coming to the states on my birthday! If only I had a Wii-U.

Mo-Nercy
07-25-2014, 02:50 PM
It's only since this game was shown that I've heard about things like map control, army balance, and boss fights. There are definitely some interesting mechanics there, and I can see how managing your tactics and choosing your fights with your OP playable character could be a compelling gameplay experience, as well as bringing some tactical thought to the combat itself with boss fights.

In short, I've learned more about Dynasty Warriors since E3 than I had the entire rest of my life, and what I've learned has me interested.

As a Dynasty Warriors veteran, I can confidently say that Koei has really upped it's game with the latest installments of their flagship series. Warriors Orochi 3 and Dynasty Warriors 8 vastly improved upon their predecessors. In the past, repetitiveness has been a major criticism of the series but WO3 and DW8 introduced a few new gameplay elements, stages, characters and modes and it's made a huge difference.

But I wouldn't get too excited about map control, army balance, tactical gameplay. If this game turns out to be anything like Dynasty Warriors, it'll be a mindless hack and slash that requires no real effort or skill (on Normal and Hard modes at least, Chaos is another story).

But it will look pretty. And you'll get 1000s of kills and that's always hugely satisfying.

Dat Matt
07-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Three new characters added (http://www.continue-play.com/news/more-characters-confirmed-for-hyrule-warriors/)

The game is coming to the states on my birthday! If only I had a Wii-U.

How much are Wii U's these days? I've seen them going on sale for as low as £175 in the UK.

PS - I'm getting so hyped for this game, it's out the week before my brithday (hint hint nudge nudge Shauna)

Skyblade
08-05-2014, 04:58 AM
Ok, there was a new Nintendo Direct for Hyrule Warriors. Honestly, I left a little disappointed.

Most of the content was fine, if not great. The new Ganon looks awesome. But there was one little thing that irked the heck out of me.

Princess Zelda.

"Princess" Zelda.

Damn it, Nintendo! You already confirmed that she's "QUEEN" Zelda. Don't you DARE back down on that again. First you leave the West with her as a Princess instead of a Queen in Link Between Worlds, now you're changing it for Hyrule Warriors too?

KCH3obTqldA

Noire
08-11-2014, 03:30 PM
OK, so I just preordered the Limited Edition from GAME...I want that scarf. I was planning on waiting for this until my birthday, but given that I doubt anyone would buy me the LE, I'll just ask for Fairy Fencer F (which, coincidentally, is released the same day) instead and wait for that. I've also preordered the guide...I collect the hardback Zelda guides. Well, the gold-leaf page ones. Not sure if this game will have one, although I can't see why it wouldn't.

I find Warriors games to be quite bland, though. I prefer the Sengoku Basara games. The characters have...character. All the characters in the Warriors games look the same to me, and they don't have ridiculously over-the-top special moves either, so it's not quite as Basara. That said, I LOVE the crossover games. The Dynasty Warriors Gundam games are amazingly fun, so I have high hopes for this...although I get the horrible feeling I'm going to be disappointed in some way by the playable characters. I really want playable Nayru, Din, Onox and Veran from the Oracles games. I mean, the bug princess is playable, so why not? I also expect Tingle to be playable.

Still, it looks like it'll be fun! If nothing else, the soundtrack is going to be amazing.

Dat Matt
08-11-2014, 06:41 PM
I want the scarf too, so I'll pre-order the collectors edition too. We could be Zelda Scarf Buddies!

I've never played a Warriors game before. This looks like super nonsense and I'm excited.

Vyk
08-11-2014, 11:55 PM
the soundtrack is going to be amazing.

Koei's good old DW rock/metal battle anthems. Hyrule style. It'll definitely be interesting. I'll give it that

Aulayna
08-12-2014, 12:14 AM
Okay I need that scarf.

Skyblade
08-14-2014, 08:45 PM

As a Dynasty Warriors veteran, I can confidently say that Koei has really upped it's game with the latest installments of their flagship series. Warriors Orochi 3 and Dynasty Warriors 8 vastly improved upon their predecessors. In the past, repetitiveness has been a major criticism of the series but WO3 and DW8 introduced a few new gameplay elements, stages, characters and modes and it's made a huge difference.

But I wouldn't get too excited about map control, army balance, tactical gameplay. If this game turns out to be anything like Dynasty Warriors, it'll be a mindless hack and slash that requires no real effort or skill (on Normal and Hard modes at least, Chaos is another story).

But it will look pretty. And you'll get 1000s of kills and that's always hugely satisfying.

I've been watching GameXplain's stream of the Japanese version of the game (no spoilers so far except for the already known basic plot info, unless you understand Japanese).

Their streamer is also a Dynasty Warriors veteran, though he apparently hasn't played the newer titles in the series. He did comment on needing greater tactical thought with regards to map control, and he did lose a battle due to the enemy capturing his main base while he was busy fighting elsewhere. So it does seem to be there to a degree, even on Normal Mode.

This also appears to be where some of the exploration comes in. The Gold Skulltulas appear to be designed a little less upon finding them (since you get a notice on the map to their general location when they appear), and a little more on forcing you to overextend or head to areas you might otherwise avoid, leaving areas that are under attack unprotected. Heart Pieces seem to be similar, as a couple were found by bypassing boss foes and capturing bases instead of proceeding with the most obvious path of action.

The game is looking to be a blast, though, and I am very much looking forward to playing it.

Mo-Nercy
08-15-2014, 04:11 PM
I've been watching GameXplain's stream of the Japanese version of the game (no spoilers so far except for the already known basic plot info, unless you understand Japanese).

Their streamer is also a Dynasty Warriors veteran, though he apparently hasn't played the newer titles in the series. He did comment on needing greater tactical thought with regards to map control, and he did lose a battle due to the enemy capturing his main base while he was busy fighting elsewhere. So it does seem to be there to a degree, even on Normal Mode.

This also appears to be where some of the exploration comes in. The Gold Skulltulas appear to be designed a little less upon finding them (since you get a notice on the map to their general location when they appear), and a little more on forcing you to overextend or head to areas you might otherwise avoid, leaving areas that are under attack unprotected. Heart Pieces seem to be similar, as a couple were found by bypassing boss foes and capturing bases instead of proceeding with the most obvious path of action.

The game is looking to be a blast, though, and I am very much looking forward to playing it.
Perhaps the system will be more modeled on the Empires expansions of the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games, which were more tactical and put more weight into base control rather than just "kill this general, then that general, then kill the commander and win the stage". That would be awesome.

Skyblade
08-16-2014, 08:09 AM
The further it's gone, the more important base control has gotten.

The way the maps play out, there are a number of fortresses spread across the maps, with control nodes between them. Each one is ruled by a captain. Killing the captain captures the node/fortress. However, fort captains don't come out until a certain number of generic enemies within the forts are killed.

So capturing is pretty simple. Rush up, kill things, kill the captain, capture (there may be extra captains lying around, but as far as I can tell one is directly tied to the node). Capturing a node or fortress then causes it to spawn reinforcements, including captains.

Your team also starts with AI companions. The further into the story you get, the more characters you can unlock. You can take certain characters on certain missions. Essentially, the AI seems to control whichever options you don't pick. However, they're not as OP as they are when you play them. They'll come under attacks from enemy captains and even enemy heroes, and call for help (and they can fall in battle if you don't aid them enough).

To top this all off, some maps have additional base control benefits. There was one shown where there are four forts spread in a line that separated your main base from the enemy main base. Each one sent massive attacks (in the form of rolling boulders or the new massive bombchus) towards the enemy base. So if the enemy held them all, you had a lot of incoming attacks that would cripple your base defenders and AI heroes (allowing for a much easier capture by the enemy). The enemy base was also blocked by a massive door, so you had to hold on to them as best you can to keep the attacks going toward the enemy base until the door was destroyed.

There really is a fun and thought provoking level of map control, from what I've seen. It doesn't seem to detract from the awesome combat, but it does add in some thought. There will also probably be more moments like the one I've seen where the streamer had to bail out of a boss fight to rush back to base to save it (after losing because he hadn't done this a few minutes earlier). Add to that having to split off to track down Gold Skulltulas, and you've got one heck of an engaging macro-game.

I am really looking forward to this, I just wish it was releasing about two weeks earlier. It's coming way too close to Smash Bros.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-27-2014, 12:24 AM
Anyone else picked this up yet? It's pretty fun. I haven't played Dynasty Warriors games in years, so I'm not burnt out on the style of play or anything, so that probably helps.

Nicolas
09-27-2014, 03:02 AM
spent most of the day playing this. enjoying it a good bit. this seems like a fairly simple game that is easy to get into and just play away.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-27-2014, 03:20 AM
It got old to me quicker than most games too, but I think at least starting out it had good progression with unlocking new characters to try out. I'm interested in seeing what I think as I get to play more. Which probably won't be for a few days anyways. I have too many new games coming out right now to juggle so I may just put this one on hold for a while.

Have you tried the Adventure Mode? I was curious in it since it seems like it has some sort of set up like the original Zelda, but I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet.

Nicolas
09-27-2014, 03:04 PM
It got old to me quicker than most games too, but I think at least starting out it had good progression with unlocking new characters to try out. I'm interested in seeing what I think as I get to play more. Which probably won't be for a few days anyways. I have too many new games coming out right now to juggle so I may just put this one on hold for a while.

Have you tried the Adventure Mode? I was curious in it since it seems like it has some sort of set up like the original Zelda, but I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet.

Adventure mode is kinda like a challenge mode. It uses the world map from the first game as map marked off into areas where you must complete little challenges in order to continue. Some areas will have restrictions on which characters you can use and weapons and heart containers you can unlock or find. There are about 4 special areas in which you can gain characters.

Don't know if anybody mentioned this, but they announced DLC for the game as well. With them, they're adding more areas, costumes, weapons, and characters. Looks to be interesting enough (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hyrule-warriors-gets-4-dlc-packs-bonus-dark-link-c/1100-6422459/), especially since the announced weapon for the October DLC is Epona.

Skyblade
09-27-2014, 10:00 PM
This game is fantastic. The combat itself does get a bit repetitive, but it makes up for this by the tons of different play styles and the absolutely glorious amount of unlockable content. I have spent so much time completing everything I can so far. Unlocking weapons, characters, Skulltulas... So much fun, and I still have so much left to go.

Each character plays differently, and I love figuring out what style to use with them. While Impa's sword is my current favorite, I find that frequently my favorite winds up being whatever I am playing with at the time. I haven't found a character that I don't like.

There's also so many references, and I know there are more coming. Getting Link's gauntlets and seeing the Stone Pillars from OoT used in the attacks. Lana and the Deku spear referencing the Deku Tree, Deku Leaf, and Slingshot. And I haven't even gotten all of those yet.

Also, getting Dark Link from someone Networked in Adventure mode really changes up the challenges, so it stays fresh for quite a while.

NeoCracker
09-27-2014, 10:33 PM
Only cleared out the first mission and adventure map, and I must say I dig what little I've played. The Items already add their own spin on the DW gameplay mechanics, and the King Dadongo fight seems to show some promise for what to expect of this games boss's.

Dat Matt
09-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Oh, I forgot you American Nerds got this on Friday. I've had it for a week so far.

I enjoy it so far, I can see myself investing a LOT of time getting everything done. Shauna and I are playing 2 player just now, but I'l probably use the gamepad to play solo when we're done.

What's everyone's favourite characters so far? I have enjoyed using Lana and Shiek, and I prefer the fire rod over Links swords. I just need to get a better one than the defaults -_-

Vyk
09-28-2014, 03:30 PM
I have no access to this, but I did watch The Completionist's video on it, and it seems to live up to everything everyone expected it to be. So that's pretty awesome. It was never going to be anything deep and thought provoking. But just a bunch of entertaining mindless fun running around destroying everything and opening up the story. Still one of the few Zelda games I am pretty sure I'd actually enjoy

Endless
09-28-2014, 06:06 PM
I bought it on the e-store yesterday, it finished downloading at 1:30am >.>

So far I played the first three levels in legend mode, and three maps in adventure.

What's everyone's favourite characters so far? I have enjoyed using Lana and Shiek, and I prefer the fire rod over Links swords. I just need to get a better one than the defaults -_-

I like Impa+sword because her attacks have mobility and she hits hard. Link is good too. I haven't gotten a chance to play Sheik or Lana yet. Re: Link, it's the opposite for me. The fire rod feels awkward, whereas the sword finishes good and the heavy spinning attack is nice at clearing monsters. The X special feels sucky on the rod, it hardly hits what I want, while the sword swipes where I expect it to.

Shauna
09-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Impa is pretty fantastic. She's been my go-to the entire game.

NeoCracker
09-28-2014, 11:18 PM
I've only got Link, Impa, and Shiek right now, but that's because I've been doing Adventure over legend quite a bit.

Endless
09-28-2014, 11:48 PM
I have to say that at the end of mission 4 in legend, when they stepped in the circle, I facepalmed.

Also my Lana is double the level of Sheik/Impa, now I need to run adventure mode a bit and farm exp/rupees >.>

Skyblade
09-29-2014, 12:10 AM
Impa is awesome. I've unlocked both of her second tier weapons (just got a five star Biggoron's Knife), and I love them both. The Naginata has the best special attack in the game (at least, so far).

My favorite weapon for Link is actually the Gauntlets. The combos are so much fun, and have such a huge range. But I do like all of his options. I probably use the combos for the Magic Rod more often than any other weapon.

I just unlocked Ruto (I revisit Adventure Mode after every story mission to see what I can unlock), but I haven't tried her yet.

NeoCracker
09-29-2014, 04:40 AM
Cleared out the fourth Legend Scenario, and been doing more adventure.

I don't know which I like more right now, Staff Wielding Lana, or Naginata wielding Impa.

I still need to try the Fire Rod and Gauntlets on Link.

Dat Matt
09-29-2014, 06:00 PM
The fire rod really opened up for me when I got the Combos. XXYYY (I think) turns it into an ax that spins around you. It's insane for wave clearing in a 360.

Depression Moon
09-30-2014, 02:43 AM
I'm real jelly of y'all right now.

Skyblade
09-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Man, the developers seem to hate Ruto. Almost all of the Adventure Mode missions which give her rewards (especially early on) are missions which require fighting bosses or small groups solo. Ruto really needs the hectic battlefields to shine, though. Her specials are really powerful (some insane screen clearing, especially from her XXXXXY combo), but she can be knocked out of almost all of them. So you need to practice good spacing and timing manipulation, or she'll get destroyed in a solo fight.

I'm also a bit surprised at how static she is. I'd expect a water character to play more fluidly, the way Midna an Fi do.

Currently I have Link, Darunia, Sheik, Impa, Ruto, Midna, Lana, Fi, and Zelda. I'm about to get Ghirahim and supposedly Agitha (I have the recruitment mission "unlocked" on Adventure Mode, but it's blocked by another unlocked mission that it just won't let me take for some reason). A lot of playable female characters (and they're all awesome).

The difficulty on Adventure Mode is really ramping up, but I have to say that I appreciate it. It's a good challenge. You definitely need some grinding for some missions, but learning how a character plays or how the mission goes is frequently way more important.

I do wish there were easier ways to gather high level materials. There are only like three missions where I can fight Lana, but I need a lot of her materials to finish Impa's badges. And that's just one character. I like the forced choice: "where should I spend that gold material I finally got?" (Stamina Fruit III, no question), but I do wish I had either shorter missions to get more, or access to a greater variety to fight her. Hopefully that will change as more missions unlock.

There's apparently a free patch coming that will make Cia, Wizzro, and Volga playable. Then we're getting new characters, weapons, and Adventure Mode maps in paid DLC. So awesome.

The inaccessible mission (spot C8 on the map, third row down, eight from the left) that appears to be fully active is my biggest complaint about this game. The second biggest is the awkward run animation Zelda gets in her Era of the Hero of Time (OoT) outfit.

Endless
10-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Just got Fi but haven't tried her yet. I also got my first network adventure mission, and it was surprisingly tough (I think it was marked as level 8 and I went in with a level 8-10 Impa).

NeoCracker
10-01-2014, 11:02 PM
I fucking hate using Fi.

That is all.

Skyblade
10-02-2014, 12:51 AM
Just got Fi but haven't tried her yet. I also got my first network adventure mission, and it was surprisingly tough (I think it was marked as level 8 and I went in with a level 8-10 Impa).

Yeah, those can be really challenging if they're over leveled for you. I tried out the Level 99 one I saw. It didn't go well. A dozen max morale enemies with health bars that barely shift when I hit them.

I smurfing hate using Fi.

That is all.

I don't have strong feelings for Fi as a character, but I think Fi plays very well. So fast and fluid, so it's easy to dance around blocks (also, I actually managed to lag the game because Fi moves too much and forced too many enemies to load). Fi's Special is really good to. The biggest problem is that there are a couple of lackluster combos.

Depression Moon
10-02-2014, 03:54 AM
Are there any Majora's Mask characters in it?

NeoCracker
10-02-2014, 04:02 AM
The Hookshot Upgrade, for some reason, pulls a mini-moon out of fucking nowhere to smash your enemies!

Skyblade
10-02-2014, 10:53 AM

No. But there is a Majora's Mask DLC coming.

DLCs announced thus far:

Master Quest Pack.
Twilight Princess Pack.
Majora's Mask Pack.
Ganon/Boss Pack.

The Master Quest pack is known to contain Epona as a weapon for Link. Contains a story mode for Cia, Volga, and Wizzro, explaining how they met, and offering upgraded weapons and heart pieces/containers for them. Contains "Master Quest" mode, which allows you to play with a harder difficulty (including one where no hearts spawn on the map). There's a rumored new Adventure Mode pack as well, but no new characters are believed to be added.

I don't really see how we can get a Majora's Mask pack without getting some characters from the game, though. Sure, we can maybe get Masks as another weapon for Link (adding in his Deku, Zora, and Goron transformations to his combos). But beyond that, you can't do a lot without bringing in some characters.

NeoCracker
10-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Naginata Wielding Impa remains my favorite. Followed by Fire Rod Link.

I'm digging the Goron Chief, and soon I'm going to try Zelda with the Baton.

Also, I hate using Ruta as well.

Skyblade
10-02-2014, 06:37 PM
I had been putting off playing as Agitha because I was nervous I wouldn't like her (I'd heard she's a slower character). My gosh, she is powerful. Her attacks do have a little bit of an odd windup, but the range and area are so utterly broken. The very first mission I tried with her was the mission to get her second ranked weapon. I collected an "A" Rank, both the heart pieces, and the first Skulltula, and I still had plenty of time left over. She's ridiculous.

I really hated Ruto at first as well. She takes some getting used to, because you need to understand how to time her attacks. If you charge in blindly, you'll get struck out of 90% of her combo finishers, and lose a lot of health, because she's vulnerable during most of them. You need to manipulate spacing, and sometimes even start combos before you reach your enemy. But she winds up being really powerful, and probably the best area clearing character in the game.

BTW: When you used Fi, did you remember to power up Light Energy with a non-combo Strong Attack?

Depression Moon
10-03-2014, 01:22 AM

DLCs announced thus far:

Master Quest Pack.
Twilight Princess Pack.
Majora's Mask Pack.
Ganon/Boss Pack.

The Master Quest pack is known to contain Epona as a weapon for Link. Contains a story mode for Cia, Volga, and Wizzro, explaining how they met, and offering upgraded weapons and heart pieces/containers for them. Contains "Master Quest" mode, which allows you to play with a harder difficulty (including one where no hearts spawn on the map). There's a rumored new Adventure Mode pack as well, but no new characters are believed to be added.

I don't really see how we can get a Majora's Mask pack without getting some characters from the game, though. Sure, we can maybe get Masks as another weapon for Link (adding in his Deku, Zora, and Goron transformations to his combos). But beyond that, you can't do a lot without bringing in some characters.

Epona as a weapon? How does that work; does he swing her around like a sword?

Skyblade
10-03-2014, 06:43 AM

DLCs announced thus far:

Master Quest Pack.
Twilight Princess Pack.
Majora's Mask Pack.
Ganon/Boss Pack.

I take it you haven't unlocked all of Link's weapons yet. They're not all as straightforward as the word "weapon" may imply.

My guess is that Epona is actually going to work as a warhorse. Trampling, charging, kicking, biting. Definitely potential there. I suppose Link could just use his bow or sword for mounted combat as well.

DMKA
10-04-2014, 06:14 AM
I'll probably get it from GameFly shortly. Doesn't really look like my thing, but I'm pretty desperate for stuff to play at the moment. :p

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-04-2014, 09:12 AM
http://club2.nintendo.com/hyrule-promo/

Join Club Nintendo and register your game to receive a free demon king costume set DLC. Two costumes for Ganondorf based on his Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess designs.

Enjoy :monster:

Endless
10-04-2014, 10:39 AM
http://club2.nintendo.com/hyrule-promo/

Join Club Nintendo and register your game to receive a free demon king costume set DLC. Two costumes for Ganondorf based on his Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess designs.

Enjoy :monster:

Only in North America it seems.

Skyblade
10-04-2014, 05:41 PM
There's an Adventure Mission with an A-Rank reward for Zant that is giving me a ton of trouble. It's a dungeon mission to fight through the map, find the key, beat the boss, and then fight The Imprisoned.

Most of it I can do ok at, but that Imprisoned fight is just killing me. It takes so long that I run out of time to get an A-Rank (it's like more than five minutes to beat him), and I have to run through so many cycles that I usually mistime a dodge and take a bit hit that I can't afford to (and I still have no clue how to dodge the lightning).

Can anyone give me any tips? What are Zant's best combos for wearing down the weakness gauge or hitting the toes?

Depression Moon
10-05-2014, 02:51 AM

DLCs announced thus far:

Master Quest Pack.
Twilight Princess Pack.
Majora's Mask Pack.
Ganon/Boss Pack.

I take it you haven't unlocked all of Link's weapons yet. They're not all as straightforward as the word "weapon" may imply.

My guess is that Epona is actually going to work as a warhorse. Trampling, charging, kicking, biting. Definitely potential there. I suppose Link could just use his bow or sword for mounted combat as well.

I actually don't have the game.

Skyblade
10-05-2014, 08:05 AM

DLCs announced thus far:

Master Quest Pack.
Twilight Princess Pack.
Majora's Mask Pack.
Ganon/Boss Pack.

I actually don't have the game.

One of Link's Weapons is the Great Fountain Fairy. It consists of a Great Fairy from Ocarina of Time shoving Link into a bottle and flying around with him. Her heavy attacks involve letting Link go, so that she can attack him. For example, raining bombs from the sky onto Link. Link blocks them with his shield, and the extras hit enemies. She then puts him back in the bottle, and continues on.

A war horse doesn't sound too far fetched anymore, does it?

Endless
10-05-2014, 09:46 AM
It turns out the free DLC that LWL mentioned is also available in Europe. I received a mail this morning, a day after I claimed the points on Nintendo Club, with the download code.

Skyblade
10-11-2014, 03:12 AM
I finally beat the game. Awesome story mode for this game. So much spoilers I won't mention for now.

Adventure Mode gets really, really hard in some places. I only just unlocked the final tier of missions that I haven't done yet, but there are three previous missions that I simply cannot get the A-Rank rewards on. Volga and Argorok in one keep room, and you have to kill them both without taking too much damage. Seriously?!

Endless
10-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Patch 1.3.0 is out!

It adds three new playable characters : Volga, Cia and Wizzro and the possibility to turn off mid-level cutscenes in adventure mode.

Skyblade
10-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Patch 1.3.0 is out!

It adds three new playable characters : Volga, Cia and Wizzro and the possibility to turn off mid-level cutscenes in adventure mode.

The Master Quest pack is also out.

The Horse is available as a weapon for Link. Epona is the Tier 1 Horse, so I'm curious as to what the upgrades are going to be.

New missions are added to Legend Mode, detailing Cia's Story.

A new Map is added to Adventure Mode, and each battle on the map features a special "Master Quest" rule, such as no healing, stricter time limits, no items, etcetera.

20 new Gold Skulltulas in the Master Quest Map, which yield another reward picture and reward map upon completion.

There is a new costume for both Cia and Lana, the Guardian of Time robes (Cia has two default alternate costumes, by the way, her without the mask, and without the mask or hat).

The Master Quest map gives you Heart Pieces and Containers for Volga, Cia, and Wizzro, their Tier 2 and Tier 3 weapons (I think T2 and T3 Horse for Link as well, though I haven't checked), and seems to also give alternate costumes for other characters as a reward.

Skyblade
10-17-2014, 07:29 AM
Apologies for the double post, but I have to point this out.

7KglPLot_8o

Zelda gets a Hilda of Lorule costume.

Shauna
10-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Ugh we were playing last night and it wouldn't update to get us the new characters and stuff. Stupid thing. xD

Skyblade
10-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Ugh we were playing last night and it wouldn't update to get us the new characters and stuff. Stupid thing. xD

It only prompts for the update from the main Wii U menu, not the quick launch menu.

Shauna
10-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Nothing on the Wii U menu either. xD I do not know what is going on.

Skyblade
10-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Nothing on the Wii U menu either. xD I do not know what is going on.

When you open the game from the main menu, it should tell you "A Software Update is available", then start the download.

Make sure you're hooked up to the internet and try to access the E-Shop. If it's anything like the Pokemon X/Y patches, they'll be available there under the Hyrule Warriors main page.

If you already bought the DLC, it'll download at the same time.

Cia is absurdly powerful. She has infinite juggling potential on a lot of foes just by spamming Light Attack.

Volga is a little disappointing, because he feels like the least original character in the game. This would be way worse, except he feels a lot like Naginata Impa, who is the most fun character in the game. He's a little less mobile, especially during his heavy combos, but play style still feels really similar.

Wizzro is a slower character, but hits hard, and has some really nice combos. His beam and spinning attacks are great for crowd control, and the beam also excels at harassment.

Epona is awesome. I need to get the higher tier versions (Twilight Epona and Epona of Time, based on how Epona looked in Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time, respectively), though.

Shauna
10-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Scoured the eShop, flicked in and out of the game. Eh. We'll work it out. No big deal. Still got plenty to do with the characters we do have.

Skyblade
10-20-2014, 08:04 PM
So, I've finished four of the Gold Skulltula pictures so far. Only about sixteen missions left in the original Adventure Mode. Then I get to do it all over again with the Master Quest pack.

Oddly enough, it's a little more restrictive. After getting to branch out and immediately play six missions, there's now only one place I can go, because everywhere else is either locked out by a wall, or by enemies that need to be revealed via a harp, which I don't have yet (items are specific to each Adventure Mode map, so the ones I got in the first map don't carry over to Master Quest).

Also, apparently confirmation of new characters for the other DLC. One coming with the Twilight Princess pack, and two coming with the Majora's Mask pack.

Skyblade
02-27-2015, 05:44 AM
So, I apologize for the thread necro and the double post, but there's a lot more to this game now.

The Majora's Mask DLC pack just landed, and it is easily my favorite so far. The Termina Fields Adventure Mode is brilliant. The entire map resets every 72 hours. You keep any rewards or map items you had already gotten, but you have to fight through the maps again in order to get further.

This sounds a bit troublesome, but they actually accommodated this brilliantly. First, certain maps have owl statues, and once you activate them, you can travel to them even after the three day reset, so ALL progress is not lost. Second, the maps are much less restrictive than many of the others. While you have to play through with a particular character to get Pieces of Heart and such, the majority of the maps can be taken on with any character. Third, the maps are much, much shorter. Most of them are on a ten minute time limit. This is great. One of the most frustrating things about the other Adventure Mode maps was having to fight through an hour long battle where a few mistakes would prevent you from getting an A Rank and make you start over.

Then, there's the free patches. So many quality of life improvements. Tons more potions in the Apothecary, including some really useful ones, like continuously replenishing special meters, extra rupees or experience, or shattering the guard of a blocking opponent. They cost much more in terms of materials (with the 100 count cap per material no longer in play, the higher cost is reasonable), but are so worth it. The smithy can now remove skills, so if you have an awesome weapon with a useless skill, get rid of it and replace it with something useful!

Best of all, there is now a way to check mid-mission how many points of damage you've taken, so you can immediately know if you've failed to hit A-Rank. And, there is a "Restart Mission" button that restarts the mission, and has no load time. It's awesome.

After being burned out for so long on the huge maps of the Master Quest pack, I'm glad I jumped back in and tried the new DLC, because it has rekindled my love for this fantastic game.

Jinx
03-14-2016, 05:42 AM
Bump!

How do you do Adventure Mode? Every time I've tried to play it??? it just brings up a screen but I can't start anything. So confused. ;-;

Also, I spent 8 hours playing this today. I am an addict.

Skyblade
03-14-2016, 08:47 AM
Bump!

How do you do Adventure Mode? Every time I've tried to play it??? it just brings up a screen but I can't start anything. So confused. ;-;

When you start Adventure Mode, it brings up a World Map. Each square on the grid is a battle. When you start, only one area is unlocked. As you beat that area with higher rankings, you'll unlock more squares adjacent to the first one.

I'm really looking forward to the new content coming. We're getting Medli!

Jinx
03-14-2016, 03:13 PM
Bump!

When you start Adventure Mode, it brings up a World Map. Each square on the grid is a battle. When you start, only one area is unlocked. As you beat that area with higher rankings, you'll unlock more squares adjacent to the first one.

I'm really looking forward to the new content coming. We're getting Medli!

How do I start a battle?

Jinx
03-14-2016, 05:28 PM
Ahaha, I figured it out. I'm a dope. I didn't realize the first square was a battle itself. xD