PDA

View Full Version : 8 legged creature of DOOM

Jess
06-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Do you have any phobias?

I have arachnophobia. I don't mean that I'm a little bit scared of spiders. I know my fear is completely irrational, but I have zero control over it.

I am so scared by spiders that when I walk into a room, I scan it for spiders. If I see a web in my house, I freak out if I can't find the maker of said web.

I have silly window battles with my other half, because I don't want any spiders to come in. He will open the windows, I will close them again.

I can't touch them. If I see one, my boyfriend must remove it immediately. Once, he was away on work and there was a spider in our bedroom and I called him and pretty much had a mental breakdown on the phone. Crying. About a spider! It's ridiculous. :lol:

My boyfriend recently bought me some spider repellent to spray around our windows and doors. Apparently they hate peppermint. :jess:

Spiders eat brains. They're smaller, faster, eight legged zombies.

Tell me about your fears.

Ayen
06-12-2014, 10:20 PM
I have a fear of heights and flying. The former is so bad I have a hard time sitting in stands that go up a certain height and you can forget about me ever sitting in a balcony. I have never flown on a plane in my life and it will be a cold day in hell before I ever step foot in one.

escobert
06-12-2014, 10:23 PM
It's not really a phobia so much but I just absolutely hate being wet! hate hate hate!!! It has to be REALLY hot water for me to not be hating life.

Alive-Cat
06-12-2014, 10:28 PM
For some reason I'm scared of snakes! Like literally ridiculously so.

I never knew, I always thought I liked snakes until one of my friends got some and I was in the same room with them and freaked out. It didn't help that he chased me with them after that! But I ran for my life.

I still like snakes. But I can never touch one.

Jess
06-12-2014, 11:24 PM
So, even though spiders apparently hate peppermint it did not stop one thinking they were allowed to enter my bedroom tonight. :colbert:

Alive-Cat
06-12-2014, 11:31 PM
When I come across a spider I have to launch a full scale military operation on exactly how I'm going to relocate it into a glass and then outside. It's pretty scary, too :(

Ayen
06-12-2014, 11:49 PM
I gotten to the point where I can't even bring myself to kill insects anymore. It's like, two more is just going take their place. Smurf it. Piss and shit on the ceiling for all I care.

Perducci
06-12-2014, 11:59 PM
I used to be really scared of spiders until I realized one day that whilst spiders have eight legs, Centipedes have a hundred legs and now mostly I'm just scared of centipedes.

Colonel Angus
06-13-2014, 01:09 AM
I'm not a fan of bugs. God do I hate roaches.

I'm not good w/ open heights. I'm fine in a skyscraper or an airplane, but I'm not good on bridges or standing on a ladder.

Pumpkin
06-13-2014, 01:16 AM
heights, escalators, snakes, more snakes, more heights, lizards, lobsters

EDIT: Actually, honestly, I am queen scared. Things I am not normally afraid of, if I see it out there in the wild I will freak out. Like turtles. I like turtles. I had 2 turtles as pets. But when I saw one when I was out on a walk I was scared of it and I have no idea why

My body's reaction to things is apparently to cry and run away from them

Ayen
06-13-2014, 01:17 AM
Oh god, I forgot about escalators.

Fuck escalators! Seriously.

Newmani
06-13-2014, 01:42 AM
The title reminded me of a really funny Hyperbole and a Half post. My god that one was funny.

Back on topic... well I don't really have any conventional phobias like a fear of spiders, bugs or complete darkness besides a fear of being high above the ground (though I think most people have that, and I probably wouldn't have it if I grew wings). Nonetheless there's still some things I'm frightened of, like being totally and completely alone, or Sephy (that one's weakened recently though), or the Slender Man. I generally fear things I can't defeat or escape from, and the latter two are most certainly things I couldn't hope to defeat or run from.... so... yeah.

Aulayna
06-13-2014, 02:05 AM
I have a fear of heights and flying. The former is so bad I have a hard time sitting in stands that go up a certain height and you can forget about me ever sitting in a balcony. I have never flown on a plane in my life and it will be a cold day in hell before I ever step foot in one.

Out of curiosity, how do you know you'll be afraid of flying if you've never done it? Like, being serious here. I have a friend who's very scared of heights too but she's actually perfectly fine with flying.

As for phobias. I hate spiders too, and a lot of the times I seem to be able to sense when one is in the room even if I can't see it. I dunno what it is, I just suddenly start feeling tense and the hairs on the back of my neck start standing up. As for creepy crawlies in general, I'm not hugely bothered by them - depends how ugly they are :p

Other irrational fears include, meeting new people, going new places or just generally going outside of my comfort zone.

Ayen
06-13-2014, 02:08 AM

Out of curiosity, how do you know you'll be afraid of flying if you've never done it? Like, being serious here. I have a friend who's very scared of heights too but she's actually perfectly fine with flying.

Because ever since 9/11 I can't so much as listen to an airplane fly over my house without cringing in my chair.

Skyblade
06-13-2014, 02:17 AM
I have a fear of heights, and have had a fear of driving since my traffic accident. Mario Kart 8 has actually been strangely good therapy for that one, though.

Jiro
06-13-2014, 03:53 AM
I have a couple things that make me anxious. I'm not so much scared of heights as I am of falling; I can go up high stuff so long as there's a reasonable chance I'm not going to fall to my death. For this reason, I abhor those glass walls on the outside of buildings. I was super fine going up the Empire State Building until it came time to look out over the edge. Part of my fear is also that I don't wanna drop my shit over there. That would be frustrating.

I'm not a big fan of spiders/snakes when I don't know what kind they are, because I immediately assume hyper lethal and resign myself to immediate death. I've had super poisonous snakes and spiders in my house before but knowing what they were somehow numbed the fear :confused: I'm really not a fan of spiders after having them living in my fucking pillows but that's a long story.

Really not a fan of driving. Makes me anxious because no matter how good a driver I am, all it takes is one other person to fuck up and I'm dead. Origins of this probably stem from the <5 inch near miss I had as a kid: out of control car+caravan almost tore through us. Fortunately, dad managed to drive us off a 2m almost vertical drop to, y'know, not get totally fucked up. Cars generally make me awkward given that I watched a car drift off the road and tear through a group of people standing on the opposite side of an intersection while I was in the US. The guy who got hit somehow lived. At least I had plenty of booze on standby already.

A lot of things get me on edge but I'm not really keen on letting them become debilitating so I often challenge these fears.