PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Teeth

Ayen
06-13-2014, 05:07 AM
Who still has their wisdom teeth? When did they grow in? Did you have to have them taken out? I have wisdom teeth coming in now. I don't feel any wiser, though. Am I gonna die? I'm gonna die :(

Talk about wisdom teeth.

Pumpkin
06-13-2014, 05:16 AM
Mine have been coming in for several years now. Dentist says they don't have enough room to grow in. They act up sometimes

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
06-13-2014, 05:41 AM
I've got my top wisdom teeth. They grew in somewhere between 2008 and 2010. No idea when. They weren't there, and then they were.

I had my lower wisdom teeth removed when they started to come in. Normal practice to do so for the military. Not sure why, they likely wouldn't have been an issue for me.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-13-2014, 05:51 AM
I had mine taken out. Nothing but sitting in a recliner with Chrono Trigger DS and vanilla shakes for a week.

Totally worth it.

Miss Mae
06-13-2014, 08:04 AM
My wizards were never going to grow in completely, so I had them surgically removed before they impacted. That was almost two years ago now.
http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-char-020.gif

Pike
06-13-2014, 08:06 AM
Mine grew in last year. For the record I'm 30. Are they supposed to grow in that late?

(Other than the growing in part, which hurt like hell, they haven't bothered me at all)

maybee
06-13-2014, 02:07 PM
No. ):

Mine grew in last year. For the record I'm 30. Are they supposed to grow in that late?

So they can come in that late ? Oh good.

Then again, it's good not having them.

Slothy
06-13-2014, 02:55 PM
My wisdom teeth were slowly coming in for years but I wasn't able to get them removed until back in December. I had to do it at that point because I was getting extremely painful infections every few weeks (usually alternating which side they were on) and one tooth was impacted. I was glad to have them out though recovering from that also sucked. Still, it beat having to brush the gums around my wisdom teeth extra hard to squeeze out some of the blood from the inflamed area.

noxious.sunshine
06-13-2014, 03:16 PM
I have all 4 of mine. The top 2 are fully grown in, the bottom 2 are still halfway under my gums. Sometimes they try to push up and it kinda pulls on my cheeks and then my teeth rub against them and causes sores.

I'd really like to have them pulled.. Last time I went to a dentist, I was told not to unless they really bothered me cuz it could cause my teeth to shift & ruin the work my braces did. They look gross, though, in spite of my taking care to scrub them really good. I'm sure having pretty well brown teeth in your head isn't exactly healthy. lol

Agent Proto
06-13-2014, 04:07 PM
I had mine removed years ago. The week thereafter I had them removed were torturous.

Alive-Cat
06-13-2014, 04:15 PM
I have no idea if I have them or not, I'm very unaware of the inside of my mouth. I never really know what teeth I have or not, if some went missing or some appeared I probably wouldn't notice. They all seem fine and nice looking teeth to me!

I guess I don't have wisdom teeth yet because I have never had pain in my mouth?

Ayen
06-13-2014, 07:01 PM
so I had them surgically removed before they impacted.

get them removed

I had mine removed years ago. The week thereafter I had them removed were torturous.

This is what I'm afraid of. Please tell me they knock you out during.

Pumpkin
06-13-2014, 07:08 PM
I also am terrified of getting mine removed. I should have already done it because like I said, they don't have room to grow out so they'll just rot in my gums, but I do not want to do that

Slothy
06-13-2014, 07:19 PM

In my case yes. I went to sleep, woke up when they were done, and got to show down on some sweet ass pain killers.

Ayen
06-13-2014, 07:23 PM

In my case yes. I went to sleep, woke up when they were done, and got to show down on some sweet ass pain killers.

This is the only scenario where somebody is going to get me to sit in the dentist chair.

Alive-Cat
06-13-2014, 09:01 PM
There are so many funny videos on youtube of people that have had their wisdom teeth taken out because they are really high from the painkillers or whatever they give them. Search it, everybody :)

Dat Matt
06-14-2014, 12:25 AM
My wisdom teeth are doing something at the moment. They don't bother me much anymore but there was a period that they cut my gums up pretty bad. That's stopped for now, so I'm not sure what's happening here.

Miss Mae
06-14-2014, 03:02 AM
I had absolutely no issue getting my http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-char-020.gifs out. I went to hospital for it (so I didn't even need to tolerate the dentist chair), they put me to sleep and I woke up still pretty high. They gave me a lemonade iceblock and some fancy painkillers. My face was swollen like a chipmunk for a week and I had to eat soft foods, but I didn't have any real pain because I kept on the painkillers. Also I scored a week off work, which made it totally worth it.

My mum was an idiot when she got hers out and after a few days thought 'I feel alright - I'm not going to bother finishing my course of painkillers'. She regretted it.

The antibiotics I was on weakened my immune system a bit and I got the absolute worst stomach bug I had ever experienced for ten days after my teeth had healed though, so try to avoid germy children.

Jessweeee♪
06-14-2014, 03:54 AM
They knocked me out with a combination of gas and an IV. They put the mask on me, told me to count backwards from 99 while they locked my arm in a thing for the IV and I think I made it to like 96 before suddenly I'm in my grandmother's guest room feeling numb all over. That and the whole "omg I don't want to go to the dentist" nervousness was the most uncomfortable part of the whole ordeal. I had the good painkillers so there was no pain, but my face was way way swollen for a few days.

You are gonna need those painkillers.

Freya
06-14-2014, 04:00 AM
My bottom left has been pushing in for ever now and now today, my molar broke. No pain but now I have half a tooth. I'm assuming it's cause my wisdom tooth has been pushing it and it cause it to crack at my filling.

weird.

Ayen
06-14-2014, 04:04 AM
My mom doesn't seem to think they'll give me painkillers. And if they have to be taken out it will most likely be at the dentist.

Colonel Angus
06-14-2014, 04:35 AM
I had absolutely no issue getting my http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-char-020.gifs out. I went to hospital for it (so I didn't even need to tolerate the dentist chair), they put me to sleep and I woke up still pretty high. They gave me a lemonade iceblock and some fancy painkillers. My face was swollen like a chipmunk for a week and I had to eat soft foods, but I didn't have any real pain because I kept on the painkillers. Also I scored a week off work, which made it totally worth it.

My mum was an idiot when she got hers out and after a few days thought 'I feel alright - I'm not going to bother finishing my course of painkillers'. She regretted it.

The antibiotics I was on weakened my immune system a bit and I got the absolute worst stomach bug I had ever experienced for ten days after my teeth had healed though, so try to avoid germy children.
In America they take you into a dark alley & have a pimp smack them out of your mouth for $5000 each. Then the government charges a 12.5% tax on each one.

Ayen
06-14-2014, 04:37 AM
If you get your wisdom teeth, they will prescribe you painkillers. Why does she think they won't? :confused: It takes about a week to fully heal from oral surgery, so yeah. They give you pain meds.

EDIT: Aaaaaah, apparently this is my 15k post. What a waste. xD

Not sure. I get the feeling whenever she had hers taken out they didn't give you painkillers.

Miss Mae
06-14-2014, 04:50 AM
And if there's such a worry that you won't have painkillers prescribed, ask before you agree to getting a referral or whatever. I had my scripts written out before I went into the theatre so that they could be filled while I was under and ready as soon as I was conscious again. Meant I didn't have to fuck around going to the pharmacy when I just wanted to take a nap.

Jessweeee♪
06-14-2014, 04:54 AM
Not that I think this is going to be a problem or anything but while we're on the subject of painkillers don't let a family member skim your doses to "protect" you. Controlled substances are a legal pain in the ass to prescribe and dispense, if you didn't have good use for them you wouldn't have received a prescription. I know a guy that had like 3/4ths of his pills taken from him by his father when he got his wisdom teeth removed and he was in sooooo much pain :(

Ayen
06-14-2014, 04:55 AM
Noted.

Right now I'm kind of hoping I won't need to have them removed.

Colonel Angus
06-14-2014, 04:59 AM
My wisdom teeth bothered me on & off since I was ~12 until maybe 3 years or so ago.

Agent Proto
06-14-2014, 05:23 AM
so I had them surgically removed before they impacted.

get them removed

Of course I was put out during the surgery. I remember waking up with these cotton balls stuck in my mouth to soak up the blood. It was pretty horrible once I regained my sense of taste. :X

Ayen
06-14-2014, 07:37 AM
It was pretty horrible once I regained my sense of taste. :X

That isn't comforting at all.

Agent Proto
06-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Of course it was discomforting but in the end it was worth it since my mouth where the wisdom teeth were felt no more pain. If you go see a dentist. Go ask if you should have your wisdoms removed. They should know the best for you.

Jess
06-14-2014, 07:08 PM
My wisdom teeth are currently growing in. The top two haven't caused any problems, but the bottom two are hurty and I think they're impacted. I'll probably have to get them removed. :(

fire_of_avalon
06-15-2014, 01:16 AM
Three out of four have erupted and one of the top ones is very shy. I saw him on the xray I got at my dentists. He will have to come out with surgery. The other three can just be pulled if I decide to have them pulled, which is great.

Aelitalily
06-15-2014, 06:47 AM
I had a pretty bad time with my teeth. When I was 23 they told me I had to get 9 removed.... (including my 4 wisdoms!).

I said no fkin way and only got my wisdoms out 1 by 1 since I don't think I could handle them all done at once - If I had the option to get knocked out and get them done all at once that would have definitely been better. I didn't get any pain meds either and they told me to just take paracetamol and ibuprofen.

At the time I had this done I wasn't working, so no real surprises that was the best care available on the public system.

Since then I have 3 more teeth removed over the years as they are badly damaged for some reason >_<; but still NO WAY did I need to get an additional 5 taken out on top of my 4 wisdoms... I would not trust the "public" dentist with those kind of decisions with tooth extractions as they always want to opt for the easiest/cheapest option.

Now that I am working I have been saving money and seeing a private dentist to work on saving as many teeth as I can, there was definitely a lot more options for me than what darn public dentist told me - I swear got so upset I started crying that day LOL!

My best advice is if you can afford it, do not go public for those types of things! :3

Shorty
06-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Mine are still in my head because there was room back there for them.

Mirage
06-15-2014, 12:19 PM
I don't get this stuff you're doing at all. Surgically removing? Sitting in a recliner with shakes for a week?

I had mine joinked out with local anaesthetics and then went to work an hour after.

Alive-Cat
06-15-2014, 03:11 PM
What would you do if your wisdom teeth started growing through all fine and dandy (or so you thought) but then one day you wake up and they are missing and where they were there's just holes now?

Ayen
06-16-2014, 08:04 AM

This is what I'm hoping for in the end. If there's room for them to grow then I'm not going to worry about it.

Pike
06-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Speaking of wisdom teeth the entire lower left side of my jaw currently hurts like heck and I've also got a sore throat and can't stop sniffling. I have no idea if these are related or not but augh my gums are killing me

Mirage
06-16-2014, 02:50 PM
my gums got sore after pulling them out but i didn't get a sore throat.

Shorty
06-16-2014, 04:45 PM

This is what I'm hoping for in the end. If there's room for them to grow then I'm not going to worry about it.

I had some teeth pulled when I was younger, so the rest of my teeth were moved forward to fill the gaps, which left room for my wisdom teeth to not cause sufferance when they began to emerge. If you've have teeth pulled, it might work!

I'm not know why this isn't done more on purpose. I'm not really familiar with the medical needs to have wisdom teeth removed, but it seems that pulling one of your other teeth to make room for the wisdoms would be more efficient and less painful than surgery and painkillers and recovery time of removing wisdom teeth. When I've had teeth pulled, I was sore for a bit but just fine for the next day. The idea of bloody cotton stuffed into your mouth and being doped up on pills and in pain for 3-4 days or a week sounds terrible.

Ayen
06-16-2014, 07:09 PM

I had some teeth pulled when I was younger, so the rest of my teeth were moved forward to fill the gaps, which left room for my wisdom teeth to not cause sufferance when they began to emerge. If you've have teeth pulled, it might work!

I'm not know why this isn't done more on purpose. I'm not really familiar with the medical needs to have wisdom teeth removed, but it seems that pulling one of your other teeth to make room for the wisdoms would be more efficient and less painful than surgery and painkillers and recovery time of removing wisdom teeth. When I've had teeth pulled, I was sore for a bit but just fine for the next day. The idea of bloody cotton stuffed into your mouth and being doped up on pills and in pain for 3-4 days or a week sounds terrible.

I only had one tooth that I actually needed to have pulled. Several years back I had a baby tooth that grew roots and wasn't falling out to make room for the tooth growing behind it. I don't remember anything about the aftermath of having the tooth pulled, I just remember it being nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be going in. Sadly the grown tooth never did grow in all the way and is still just hanging back there leaving the gap where the baby tooth was. I can feel it with my tongue now. Damn teeth. My whole mouth is a dump and that's with brushing everyday.

On the plus side, said wisdom teeth haven't been hurting all that much and I only found blood on two occasions. Of course, now that I'm thinking about it the one on the bottom left is acting up. I think that's the only one currently moving in though. I thought there was one moving in on the top left but I was just imagining the pain there.

Alive-Cat
06-16-2014, 08:05 PM
I remember when I was little and all my teeth started falling out ready for the adult ones to birth themselves, my favourite part was when I'd have a loose tooth so I would literally spend the whole day wobbling and pulling it until I eventually ripped it out of my mouth. So much blood! The other children were grossed out :greenie:

StarCross1988
06-17-2014, 03:48 AM
I had my bottom two pulled 4 years ago. I actually had an infection in both of them because they were coming in like almost sideways because there was no room for them. One morning I woke up and couldn't open my mouth, lol. Strange they didn't really bother me before though.

My top ones are still up in there, they haven't even tried coming out yet. Last time I was at the dentist he casually said I might have two on one side. -__-

Ayen
06-17-2014, 04:04 AM
Last time I was at the dentist he casually said I might have two on one side. -__-

T-that's a thing?

StarCross1988
06-17-2014, 04:52 AM
It's likely just an extra tooth I have, but it's there. He showed me the x-ray. :eep:

Alive-Cat
06-17-2014, 06:17 AM
It's probably magic!

Arc_Master_14
06-17-2014, 06:23 AM
Mine are out and I'm damn glad. I had so much pain leading into it. I swear I never want to be a baby again, because I think it's what teething felt like, but in the back of my mouth.

I actually had six wisdom teeth which was interesting because I though the doctor had misspoken. I did not though use any of my pain pills besides the ones they had me take before I leave and some 4 hours later before the initial ones wore off. Ate buckets of jello though.

Miss Mae
06-17-2014, 08:06 AM

I had three teeth pulled before I had my four http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-char-020.gifs removed, so I've had seven teeth taken out total now. I don't know if taking more teeth further up to make room would've worked because firstly I'd already spent a few grand on straightening my teeth with braces so I wouldn't want to undo that good work and secondly because of the angle my http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-char-020.gifs were growing in at. If they were growing straight up, they probably would've fit better, but they were pushing into my back teeth instead and so were never even going to breach my gums without surgery.

Pike
06-17-2014, 10:30 AM
If we're talking about things like missing teeth now, several types of my teeth were missing and there were extras of several other types. I had to wear braces for three or four years and the orthodontist had to take a little tiny chisel and reshape my teeth into proper ones.

They are also smaller at the bottom than they are at the top so it looks like I have Jack o' Lantern teeth :(

Sephex
06-17-2014, 10:55 AM
I kept mine because I didn't want to lose the +2 Wisdom stat they give me.

Jiro
06-17-2014, 02:50 PM
I have room for all of my http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-char-020.gifs. I have room for all of my teeth. I feel sorry for you kids with big dentist bills and the pain and the whole not being wise enough for http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-char-020.gifs.

Shiny
06-18-2014, 02:05 AM
They both grew in at different times, and as soon as I could, I had them pulled. They kept growing in crooked. It didn't hurt at all to have them pulled; it was just a lot of blood. No swelling either. I have one more left to grow/break the skin, but who knows when that's going to happen.

Pumpkin
06-18-2014, 02:06 AM
Pretty much right after my post in this thread, my bottom right wisdom tooth started acting up. Its back to normal now.

Shiny
06-18-2014, 02:11 AM
For people who have room for their wisdoms,you're like Shoopdawhoop.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608014511416739372&pid=1.7

Jiro
06-18-2014, 05:35 AM
http://i61.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2m836zm.jpg

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-18-2014, 05:41 AM
Last time I was at the dentist he casually said I might have two on one side. -__-

T-that's a thing?

I had twice as many as the average person and they were twice as small as the average person.

Christmas
06-18-2014, 05:45 AM
Will I get extra cash from the tooth fairy if I offer my wisdom tooth? :bigsmile:

Shaibana
06-18-2014, 11:49 AM
i have 2 on the left side..
the upper one grew nicely along my other teeth, so it now functions just like the other teeth :3
but now i noticed the bodem one growing, i can feel a tiny tip.
i have no idea how this one will grow, but as long as it doesnt bother me i will not have it removed

Bubba
06-18-2014, 11:56 AM
I had twice as many as the average person and they were twice as small as the average person.

That's what she said.